exchange 5.5 - email going to wrong mailbox

I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their
mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to person A
(no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.  What could be
causing this?  I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows 2000
Server.

0
jgallas1 (8)

Jason:

UserA most likely has some type of rule set up on his/her mailbox. Log on to
UserA's mailbox with Outlook and check the rules. Also, there might be a
setting on the mailbox itself that forwards message to UserB, so check the
Delivery Options tab of UserA's mailbox properties in Exchange
Administrator.

Regards,
Martin

"Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their
> mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to person
> (no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.  What could be
> causing this?  I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows 2000
> Server.

0
MartinHTN
6/23/2004 5:13:56 PM
I checked both the Outlook client and the Exchange administrator and there
are no rules or properties set to forward emails for either user.  Could
this just be a bug?  Not every email gets forwarded from one account to the
other.  It seems to be random instances.  I have also noticed this in the
past with other email accounts.

"MartinHTN" <m@ht.n> wrote in message
: Jason:
:
[...]
: >
: >
:
:

0
jgallas1 (8)
6/23/2004 5:43:16 PM
internet email or internal email?  you cannot see if anyone was bcc'd, in
any case...what kind of message?  legit, or spam?

"Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their
> mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to person
> (no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.  What could be
> causing this?  I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows 2000
> Server.

0
susan7353 (1225)
6/23/2004 5:44:05 PM
In the last exciting episode, "Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their
>mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to person A
>(no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.  What could be
>causing this?  I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows 2000
>Server.

bcc, delegate, alt-recipeint?
Jason Gallas wrote:

> I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their
> mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to person A
> (no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.

You are confusing the To address in the e-mail with the envelope To
address.

telnet mailserver 25
> Trying mailserver...
> Connected to mailserver (1.2.3.4).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mailserver ESMTP Postfix (2.1.0-pre-20040209) (Mandrake Linux)
HELO workstation
MAIL FROM: <prankster@prankster.net>
RCPT TO: <fred@mailserver>
> 250 Ok
DATA
From: prankster@prankster.net
Subject: Who are you?
To: barney@mailserver

Hello Fred!
..

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

tobyink (8)
6/23/2004 6:07:05 PM
Internet email, and not all emails are mis-routed only occasionally.  There
were two emails that got mis-routed this way. It looks like one was spam and
one was legitimate.

"Susan" <susan@nospam.com> wrote in message
[...]

: wrote:
:
: >I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their
: >mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to
person A
: >(no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.  What could be
: >causing this?  I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows 2000
: >Server.
:
: bcc, delegate, alt-recipeint?

no way of knowing if it was bcc, delegate no, alt-recipient no.

0
jgallas1 (8)
6/23/2004 6:20:25 PM
wrote:

>"Chris Scharff [MVP]" <puevf_fpuness@znvy-erfbheprf.pbz> wrote in message
>: In the last exciting episode, "Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com>
>: wrote:
>:
>: >I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their
>: >mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to
>person A
>: >(no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.  What could be
>: >causing this?  I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows 2000
>: >Server.
>:
>: bcc, delegate, alt-recipeint?
>
>no way of knowing if it was bcc, delegate no, alt-recipient no.

Then bcc is the most likely.

--
Chris Scharff
MessageOne

-- ROT13 for valid SMTP address --

: In the last exciting episode, "Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com>
: wrote:
:
: >
: >: wrote:
: >:
: >: >I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in
their
: >: >mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to
: >person A
: >: >(no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.  What could
be
: >: >causing this?  I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows
2000
: >: >Server.
: >:
: >: bcc, delegate, alt-recipeint?
: >
: >no way of knowing if it was bcc, delegate no, alt-recipient no.
:
: Then bcc is the most likely.

Yeah, I think that's what happend too.  It is just kind of frustrating
that's all.

0
jgallas1 (8)
6/23/2004 8:20:52 PM
I'd check the settings in the User A's mailbox as well as their e-mail
program (Outlook?) for settings that are forwarding the mail.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Jason Gallas" <jgallas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a user who is getting emails addressed to another person in their
> mailbox.  I checked the headers and the email was only addressed to person
> (no cc's or bcc's), yet person B got it in their mailbox.  What could be
> causing this?  I have exchange 5.5 with SP 4 installed on a Windows 2000
> Server.

0
rasilon1 (689)

outlook 5 to outlook 6
There is no provision to import outlook 5 to 6 within the outlook 6 program.......... only 4 and 6. I need to see my past sent messages. It will not also inport the id files to the in box. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x "Tho B." <blacksax@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:0c4601...

Vacation email
Can one set up vacation email to let those in the company know you're out for a 1 week vacationand to refer to a co-workers, but not for external emails (discussion groups, news signup, etc)? Thanks Mike "Mike" <yard22192@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:026b4884-aa17-440f-a8e3-0a1e90adc997@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Can one set up vacation email to let those in the company know you're > out for a 1 week vacationand to refer to a co-workers, but not for > external emails (discussion groups, news signup, etc)? > Thanks > Mike Answered in 24hours...

Linking Database to invoice/email template
I have designed my database and on inputting a new supplier I would like Access to generate an invoice in excel and an email in outlook express, is this at all possible as can't seem to find anything like this in my step by step book. Neets <Neets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have designed my database and on inputting a new supplier I would like >Access to generate an invoice in excel and an email in outlook express, is >this at all possible as can't seem to find anything like this in my step by >step book. Actually I'd create the invoice in a PDF...

Can a new employee greeting email on account creation be made?
Our executive director wants us to make it so that when we have a new employee, the FIRST email they have is from her. When we create a new account in AD, is there a way for exchange to automagically create a new message for that new employee with out me having to send it? We are using exchange 2k3 and Office 2k3. Any ideas suggestions? nope. definitely not natively. something could be scripted perhaps... "Donavon" <Donavon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9A3D80C-D5E6-4087-917D-2728A32B3C4A@microsoft.com... > Our executive director wants us to ma...

MS-Exchange Rejecting message
Hi all, I have an AIX server running sendmail and /etc/relay-domains has and entry for the local server. I am trying to send e-mail to MS-Exchange 2000 mail server using mailx program on unix however it comes back with the message saying "Can not relay for receiver@domain.com". I have tested the SMTP mail transfer using "telnet IP 25" with MAIL FROM:, RCPT TO: and DATA from both ends and it works fine. However, if I use the mailx, MS-Exchange rejects the message immediately. On MS-Exchange, the relay is on for anyone. Your help is much appreciated in advance. Thanks, AQ ...

Giving Access to Mailbox w/o Changing Permission on each folder?
Can I do something in exchange admin so that a user can see all the folders of another user without going through each folder and adding user to permission? Can I change the primary account to the other users once the old employee leaves? They have too many folders to go through each and do this. Thanks Q268754 "How to Assign Users or Groups Full Access to Other User Mailboxes" "B-Dog" wrote: > Can I do something in exchange admin so that a user can see all the folders > of another user without going through each folder and adding user to > permission? Can...

Can you set the primary email address from outlook 2003?
We have parent company and a subsidiary which are served by out exchange server (2003 Std.). There are two SMTP domains. Some employees do work for both companies and it would be useful for them to have an schizophrenic email presence (i.e., two email addresses, one with each company name). Giving them a second email address associated with their mailbox is simple enough. However, I do not know how to (allow *them* to) control the "from" address on outbound mail. This can be some by changing the primary email address using the exchange system manager. Is there an end-user way of doi...

Output after Transform is wrong

Exchange 2003 standard
Greetings! How can I determine if SP2 is installed on a Exchange 2003 server? On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:53:04 -0500, TedN <tdstr@foadspammer.com> wrote: >Greetings! > >How can I determine if SP2 is installed on a Exchange 2003 server? Properties of the server object in ESM or run ExBpa against the server. Open Exchange System Manager, drill down and click on the Servers container. All servers will be listed along with details such as which SP is applied. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (R...

This is my new email not junk!
Hi kathleen this is your sister Aileen setting up your windows email. I am just using this sent message as a test message. "Katie" <just_serve_it@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ePJGKlBTIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi kathleen this is your sister Aileen setting up your windows email. I am > just using this sent message as a test message. > Aileen isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer apparently ;o) "Keith Willcocks" <buccaneer@invalidaddress.inv> wrote: >Aileen isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer apparently ;o) ...

email bounce from sender
Any assistance is appreciate, the sender got an undeliverable sending email to my mailbox. The error: The recipient of your message have been processed by the mail server: abc@mydomain.com; Fail; 5.1.2 (bad destination system address). Remote MTA mydomain.com: network error. SMTP protocol diagnostic: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable. I have Exchange 5.5 sp4. Thanks in advance. ...

Can we restrict one user to send and receive email from only one external domain, but all internal addresses
We had a request to restrict internet email usage for a single user but allow internal email both incoming and outgoing. We did this using a non-internet routable email address for this user and restricted them from using the outgoing smtp connector. We now have a request to allow this user to still use internal email but add one external domain to send and receive to. Is this possible ? Thank you, Ken It is possible with Ex2k7 Transport Rules. For Ex2k3, you need to add an SMTP event sink program to the incoming and outgoing SMTP VS to filter his emails. http://support.microsoft...

Accessing same email account from 2 different account , not loosing messages
I have two XP Profesional users working on same workstation. I need to receive from same POP3 email account ( ex. roger@firm.com ) all messages and all messages to be accessible to both users from their domain account used on that workstation. Each user have his own different domain account on Windows 2000 Server network. So, if one user log on from his account on workstation with Outlook Express he will receive all new emails. Next, the second user will log on on that workstations with his different domain account and he will need to see all messages received by first user and receive...

If i would loose a users mailbox
Hi all I hav exc2003 and outlook 2003 and was browsing through the System Manager and notice the option Mailbox Recovery Centre.I was just curios to find out should i loose a users mailbox how can i recover it.If i click on Mailbox Recovery Centre there is nothing under it but if i right click i can add a mailbox store.So i add the store here, for in case i find myself in a scenario when i loose a mailbox, to recover it or is there any other (easier) options when i need to recover mail - Does the above process stay the same when loosing some of a users mail but NOT the whole mailbox. t...

Sending Emails to users using templates?
Is it possible to have a Email sent based from a Template to be sent to an internal user within the company using the MSCRM system? It appears that Emails from Templates can only be sent to the external Contact/Account in question and not a internal user. Is this correct? Furthermore, if you cannot use templates - is it possible to include fields from the MSCRM object in question within the Subject/Contents of the 'vanilla' email produced by the Workflow Manager; or is this fixed to the static Subject/Contents defined by the workflow. Our problem stems from wanting an email...

Can't paste image files into email
I have uninstalled the latest windows updates adn used system restore back to when my system was working correctly. I can now cut/paste in office but still cannot in outlook express. Can anyone help us out??? ANy help would be greatly appreciated!! Hello Lee, you wrote on Fri, 12 Aug 2005 04:54:22 GMT: > I have uninstalled the latest windows updates adn used system restore back > to when my system was working correctly. I can now cut/paste in office but > still cannot in outlook express. Can anyone help us out??? ANy help would be > greatly appreciated!! This is an ou...

Mail delivery in Exchange 2003
Hi all, here is the problem when I tired to send mail to someone@somewhere.com, I got undeliverable report from my server saying that mail is not delivered to someone@somewhere.com.uk. I asked administrator of somewhere.com, he said that their SMTP gateway did receive a mail from us, but the address was someone@somewhere.com.uk. I used hotmail and yahoo mail to send mail to someone@somewhere.com, both success. I tired to send mail to someperson@somewhere.com, also success. any one have idea on this ???? Many thanks, Alex Hi, May be - there is a forwarding rul...

Exchange backub
Hello, got a quickie: If I setup backup on SBS2003 server marking C, D disks, System state and Microsoft Exchange server (ekspanded through servername\microsoft information store\first information store).... .... can I, on C: disk, unmark C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr so it wouldn't be backuped as file, since I included it in backup above? (this is 28 GB less to backup) Kerempuh wrote: > Hello, > > got a quickie: > > If I setup backup on SBS2003 server marking C, D disks, > System state and Microsoft Exchange server (ekspanded through > serverna...

Exchange 2003 OWA read receipts
I have a Exchange 2003 SP2 Server that the users all connect with OWA. I need to globally set that the all the users are set to Always sends a Response to Read Requests. What is happening is the users reads the emails and nothing is being set because it is set to no response and they just delete the email. That is not what management is wanting they want that acknowledgement to know the users are reading the emails. Any ideas on how to do this Thanks Roger Crawford HTS I don't think its an exchange feature but outlook feature. You may have to use GPO to override outlook setti...

MAPI Problem with Exchange 2000 and ARCServe Agent
My ARCServe BrightStore backup software will no longer perform a bricks-level backup (information store backup works fine). The bricks-level backup uses MAPI functions where the information store backup does not. The ARCServe tech support finally determined the problem is with my Exchange 2000 server and not their software. The only change I made to my network recently is I upgraded my Windows 2000 domain to a Windows 2003 domain using domainprep and forestprep because I wanted to upgrade only my domain controllers to Windows 2003. My Exchange 2000 server is sitting on a Windows 2000 Se...

Exchange 2000, Outlook 2007, Public Folder Missing
Hi guys, need some help. We run a single Exchange 2000 server with Outlook 2000 clients and public folders work fine. Using a user account with Public Folders verified working in Outlook 2000, the Public Folders dont appear to be available within Outlook 2007. Is there any steps required to get access to public folders on an exchange 2000 server using outlook 2007? Thanks, Anthony are you looking on the folder list? ctrl+6 to bring it up. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/begin...

User Mailbox: Monitoring amount of traffic on a per-minute basis
Hoping that one of you witty folks can assist: I am looking for a close to real time tool (off-the shelf, shareware, freeware, script) that can provide a baseline of how much e-mail is entering a user's mailbox on a per-minute basis. Perfmon does not get this granular =^( and I don't know if this is possible with Microsoft Operations Manager. We are also looking for something that could set an alert, after 20 e-mails arrive in the mailbox in a 60-second period of time, a warning would be sent to an administrator. I do realize that there are server-based tools that can provide inform...

error message when sending email
I have Outlook Express linked with my on line school email. When they tried to help me set it up so I could get my school emails directly on my computer through Outlook Express they sent me an email, which I received, however when I replied to sender I got the following error: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Online Mail_', Server: 'emailout.phoenix.edu', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F The schools t...

Contacts email addresses disappearing
Hi I am using Windows Mail as my default mail programme and am losing the email addresses of Contacts in my Contact list. Can anyone help with this? -- Continuous Learning ...

Lost Exchange Connectivity
I had a Domain Controller fail in our domain. This controller was the one handling the Recipient Update Service (Enterprise Configuration) in Exchange 2000. I can no longer create a user in Active Directory and have the Mailbox show in Exchange. How do I get the remaining domain controller that is being used for validation to handle the mailbox update to Exchange until I can restore the other DC? "Timothy" <Timothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had a Domain Controller fail in our domain. This controller was the one >handling the Recipient Update Service (En...