Exchange 5.5 Complete headache

Hi all - Please bear with my scenario explanation as I will attempt to
explain my issue clearly but also show my thought process.

Scenario
Promoted to network admin. One domain, one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server on Win2k
SP4 member server authenticating to a NT4 Domain (1 x PDC, 1 X BDC).
Hardware Raid 5 - 140 Gb space, 90Gb used up.
NEVER BEEN REBOOTED
NEVER BEEN BACKED UP
80% of 130 staff have mailboxes, others PST...full MAPI functionality used
such as calenders, public folders.

Requirement
I need to back this server up urgently as i'm living on borrowed time.

Possible solutions and issues

1) We use Veritas Backupexec 9.1 with a robotic library. I need to install
the remote agent (I have the exchange module) but this will require a reboot.
I CANNOT Reboot in case the server does not come back up.

2) Then I thought to build another exchange server (same design and specs)
and initiate replication, but this will require a reboot as well so I cannot
do that. <-- technically need guidance on replication

3) Then I thought to stop the exchange services over the weekend and
manually copy the PRIV, PUB .edb and all transaction logs manually to the new
exchange server and see if this will work - i can't see it myself. Also the
risk of the server crashing when copying 90Gb worth of data.

4) Create PST's for all users and redirect all mail in mailbox to PST so at
least mail is safe but no resilience for public folders, dist lists, cust
recipients and sharing. Management are not keen on this. Too much overhead.

5) On top of all this over the past 3 months a lot of mailboxes, dist lists,
cust recipients have been deleted and the 30 day retention period has passed
so a lot of logs waiting to be flushed from a backup.

Solution
What is the best and totaly safest way for me to achive a back up. I cannot
take the risk of rebooting in case it does not come back up. This
unfortunately is the most critical server in the company.

Once I have a backup then i can install the exchange anti virus module,
build a secondary fail over etc.

Thanks for your patience and time...

Rob
0
robkanj (9)

Use an USB External HDD. Thisis a plug and play device and no reboot
necessary. Or copy to another server which may take quite sometime if it
doesn't fail due to open files.

"Rob Kanj" <RobKanj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all - Please bear with my scenario explanation as I will attempt to
> explain my issue clearly but also show my thought process.
>
> Scenario
> Promoted to network admin. One domain, one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server on
> Win2k
> SP4 member server authenticating to a NT4 Domain (1 x PDC, 1 X BDC).
> Hardware Raid 5 - 140 Gb space, 90Gb used up.
> NEVER BEEN REBOOTED
> NEVER BEEN BACKED UP
> 80% of 130 staff have mailboxes, others PST...full MAPI functionality used
> such as calenders, public folders.
>
> Requirement
> I need to back this server up urgently as i'm living on borrowed time.
>
> Possible solutions and issues
>
> 1) We use Veritas Backupexec 9.1 with a robotic library. I need to install
> the remote agent (I have the exchange module) but this will require a
> reboot.
> I CANNOT Reboot in case the server does not come back up.
>
> 2) Then I thought to build another exchange server (same design and specs)
> and initiate replication, but this will require a reboot as well so I
> cannot
> do that. <-- technically need guidance on replication
>
> 3) Then I thought to stop the exchange services over the weekend and
> manually copy the PRIV, PUB .edb and all transaction logs manually to the
> new
> exchange server and see if this will work - i can't see it myself. Also
> the
> risk of the server crashing when copying 90Gb worth of data.
>
> 4) Create PST's for all users and redirect all mail in mailbox to PST so
> at
> least mail is safe but no resilience for public folders, dist lists, cust
> recipients and sharing. Management are not keen on this. Too much
> overhead.
>
> 5) On top of all this over the past 3 months a lot of mailboxes, dist
> lists,
> cust recipients have been deleted and the 30 day retention period has
> passed
> so a lot of logs waiting to be flushed from a backup.
>
> Solution
> What is the best and totaly safest way for me to achive a back up. I
> cannot
> take the risk of rebooting in case it does not come back up. This
> unfortunately is the most critical server in the company.
>
> Once I have a backup then i can install the exchange anti virus module,
> build a secondary fail over etc.
>
> Thanks for your patience and time...
>
> Rob

0
allen.miyake (137)
6/7/2005 9:22:14 PM
you're not going to be "replicating" this data anywhere...your only option
is to get a backup as quickly as possible...do you not have a tape drive on
another server where you would be able to do a remote backup using NT
BACKUP?  or if you're on Win2K, you can use NTBackup to make a backup to
file/disk...  That may be the safest thing to do, for now...do you suspect
that there is some reason why the server would not recover from a simple
reboot?  I was not aware that installing the veritas exchange agent would
require a reboot, but it may...you may need to take a chance on that.  you
could stop the Information Store service and copy the priv.edb and pub.edb
files to a safe place so you'd have them, but you would also need the
transaction log files...

"Rob Kanj" <RobKanj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all - Please bear with my scenario explanation as I will attempt to
> explain my issue clearly but also show my thought process.
>
> Scenario
> Promoted to network admin. One domain, one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server on
Win2k
> SP4 member server authenticating to a NT4 Domain (1 x PDC, 1 X BDC).
> Hardware Raid 5 - 140 Gb space, 90Gb used up.
> NEVER BEEN REBOOTED
> NEVER BEEN BACKED UP
> 80% of 130 staff have mailboxes, others PST...full MAPI functionality used
> such as calenders, public folders.
>
> Requirement
> I need to back this server up urgently as i'm living on borrowed time.
>
> Possible solutions and issues
>
> 1) We use Veritas Backupexec 9.1 with a robotic library. I need to install
> the remote agent (I have the exchange module) but this will require a
reboot.
> I CANNOT Reboot in case the server does not come back up.
>
> 2) Then I thought to build another exchange server (same design and specs)
> and initiate replication, but this will require a reboot as well so I
cannot
> do that. <-- technically need guidance on replication
>
> 3) Then I thought to stop the exchange services over the weekend and
> manually copy the PRIV, PUB .edb and all transaction logs manually to the
new
> exchange server and see if this will work - i can't see it myself. Also
the
> risk of the server crashing when copying 90Gb worth of data.
>
> 4) Create PST's for all users and redirect all mail in mailbox to PST so
at
> least mail is safe but no resilience for public folders, dist lists, cust
> recipients and sharing. Management are not keen on this. Too much
overhead.

> 5) On top of all this over the past 3 months a lot of mailboxes, dist
lists,
> cust recipients have been deleted and the 30 day retention period has
passed
> so a lot of logs waiting to be flushed from a backup.
>
> Solution
> What is the best and totaly safest way for me to achive a back up. I
cannot
> take the risk of rebooting in case it does not come back up. This
> unfortunately is the most critical server in the company.
>
> Once I have a backup then i can install the exchange anti virus module,
> build a secondary fail over etc.
>
> Thanks for your patience and time...
>
> Rob

0
sconkey (3059)
6/7/2005 9:27:44 PM
"Rob Kanj" <RobKanj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Promoted to network admin. One domain, one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server on
Win2k
> SP4 member server authenticating to a NT4 Domain (1 x PDC, 1 X BDC).
> Hardware Raid 5 - 140 Gb space, 90Gb used up.
> NEVER BEEN REBOOTED
> NEVER BEEN BACKED UP
> 80% of 130 staff have mailboxes, others PST...full MAPI functionality used
> such as calenders, public folders.

When Exchange is installed on a machine the NTBackup is replaced with a
variation it it that is "Exchange Aware" and will backup the "live"
datastores.  You want to do a Full "System State" backup (all drives plus
System State). You also want a backup of the datastores. You can do both in
a single backup if you wish but it will take a lot of space.  NTBackup is
capable of backing up to a "file" if there is no tape drive in the
machine,...the file can be (and should be) pushed to another machine during
the backup.

Once this is done you can do the identical process with most of the machines
"services" shutdown (especially Exchange) as an off-line backup. With the
least number of things "in use" and "active" there are much fewer files
"skipped" during the backup.

If you have a copy of Symantec Ghost you can even image the machine as
additional insurance.  But in any case use NTBackup *first*, it will take
care of rolling in and eliminating all those Exchange Logs which are
probably taking up an un-godly amount of disk space by now.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

0
Phillip
6/8/2005 1:24:18 PM
Another proof that Exchange server is robust. Runs fine for ages without a
reboot and a backup (the latter isn't recommended) :-)

I think your safest bet in this scenario would be to use W2k built-in
backup, NTbackup. Back it up to a file on either a remote storage space or
locally (if you have enough free space on the local machine).

"Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote
in news:eYhZc5IbFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Another proof that Exchange server is robust. Runs fine for
> ages without a reboot and a backup (the latter isn't
> recommended) :-)
>
> I think your safest bet in this scenario would be to use
> W2k built-in backup, NTbackup. Back it up to a file on
> either a remote storage space or locally (if you have
> enough free space on the local machine).
>
> "Rob Kanj" <RobKanj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>> Hi all - Please bear with my scenario explanation as I
>> will attempt to explain my issue clearly but also show my
>> thought process.
>>
>> Scenario
>> Promoted to network admin. One domain, one Exchange 5.5
>> SP4 server on Win2k SP4 member server authenticating to a
>> NT4 Domain (1 x PDC, 1 X BDC). Hardware Raid 5 - 140 Gb
>> space, 90Gb used up. NEVER BEEN REBOOTED
>> NEVER BEEN BACKED UP
>> 80% of 130 staff have mailboxes, others PST...full MAPI
>> functionality used such as calenders, public folders.
>>
>> Requirement
>> I need to back this server up urgently as i'm living on
>> borrowed time.
>>
>> Possible solutions and issues
>>
>> 1) We use Veritas Backupexec 9.1 with a robotic library. I
>> need to install the remote agent (I have the exchange
>> module) but this will require a reboot. I CANNOT Reboot in
>> case the server does not come back up.
>>
>> 2) Then I thought to build another exchange server (same
>> design and specs) and initiate replication, but this will
>> require a reboot as well so I cannot do that. <--
>> technically need guidance on replication
>>
>> 3) Then I thought to stop the exchange services over the
>> weekend and manually copy the PRIV, PUB .edb and all
>> transaction logs manually to the new exchange server and
>> see if this will work - i can't see it myself. Also the
>> risk of the server crashing when copying 90Gb worth of
>> data.
>>
>> 4) Create PST's for all users and redirect all mail in
>> mailbox to PST so at least mail is safe but no resilience
>> for public folders, dist lists, cust recipients and
>> sharing. Management are not keen on this. Too much
>> overhead.
>>
>> 5) On top of all this over the past 3 months a lot of
>> mailboxes, dist lists, cust recipients have been deleted
>> and the 30 day retention period has passed so a lot of
>> logs waiting to be flushed from a backup.
>>
>> Solution
>> What is the best and totaly safest way for me to achive a
>> back up. I cannot take the risk of rebooting in case it
>> does not come back up. This unfortunately is the most
>> critical server in the company.
>>
>> Once I have a backup then i can install the exchange anti
>> virus module, build a secondary fail over etc.
>>
>> Thanks for your patience and time...
>>
>> Rob

The Exchange Agent does not install on the Exchange server if
I remember correctly. You must install Exchange Manager,
Outlook and the agent on the backup machine. You should read
up on the BE agent.

If I'm right you can install all 3 pieces to your backup
server and never touch Exchange.

Larry
0
riding (28)
6/9/2005 1:13:28 AM
He and I were both referring to NTBackup on the Exchange box itself, which
will be fine. It does not require a Tape Drive because it can backup to a
"file" which can even be located on another machine and then can itself be
backed up to tape or burned to CD, DVD, whatever.

--

"Larry" <riding@my.valkyrie> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> mailboxes, dist lists, cust recipients have been deleted
> >> and the 30 day retention period has passed so a lot of
> >> logs waiting to be flushed from a backup.
> >>
> >> Solution
> >> What is the best and totaly safest way for me to achive a
> >> back up. I cannot take the risk of rebooting in case it
> >> does not come back up. This unfortunately is the most
> >> critical server in the company.
> >>
> >> Once I have a backup then i can install the exchange anti
> >> virus module, build a secondary fail over etc.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your patience and time...
> >>
> >> Rob
> >

> The Exchange Agent does not install on the Exchange server if
> I remember correctly. You must install Exchange Manager,
> Outlook and the agent on the backup machine. You should read
> up on the BE agent.
>
> If I'm right you can install all 3 pieces to your backup

0
Phillip
6/9/2005 6:13:38 PM
"Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in

> He and I were both referring to NTBackup on the Exchange
> box itself, which will be fine. It does not require a Tape
> Drive because it can backup to a "file" which can even be
> located on another machine and then can itself be backed up
> to tape or burned to CD, DVD, whatever.

YOU referred to NTBackup on the Exchange box. HE referred to
Veritas. Either solution would work although I personally would
be more concerned with the NTBackup.

I'm not sure how many versions there are and if Exch 5.5 would
correctly "upgrade" the version that is on a 2000 box. I
personally have never used the built-in version and don't have
any experience with it especially in scenario he is describing.
I KNOW Veritas would work, therefore that's what I personally
would use.

Just an opinion...

Larry
0
riding (28)
6/10/2005 1:13:11 AM
I suspect that there are many times more people who have used NTBACKUP on a
5.5 system installed on W2K Server than people who have use any other backup
strategy combined. It works and it works well...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

> "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in
>
>> He and I were both referring to NTBackup on the Exchange
>> box itself, which will be fine. It does not require a Tape
>> Drive because it can backup to a "file" which can even be
>> located on another machine and then can itself be backed up
>> to tape or burned to CD, DVD, whatever.
>>

> YOU referred to NTBackup on the Exchange box. HE referred to
> Veritas. Either solution would work although I personally would
> be more concerned with the NTBackup.
>
> I'm not sure how many versions there are and if Exch 5.5 would
> correctly "upgrade" the version that is on a 2000 box. I
> personally have never used the built-in version and don't have
> any experience with it especially in scenario he is describing.
> I KNOW Veritas would work, therefore that's what I personally
> would use.
>
> Just an opinion...
>
> Larry

0
rasilon1 (689)
6/10/2005 8:09:47 AM
"Larry" <riding@my.valkyrie> wrote in message

> YOU referred to ......
> HE referred to Veritas......
> I KNOW Veritas would work, therefore that's what I personally
> would use.

No, actually Ron (the post your shows as replying to) spoke of NTBackup

Gotta "cop and attitude" eh?  What is it with people like you? You insecure
or something?

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

0
Phillip
6/10/2005 1:58:55 PM
"Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in

> "Larry" <riding@my.valkyrie> wrote in message
>
>> YOU referred to ......
>> HE referred to Veritas......
>> I KNOW Veritas would work, therefore that's what I
>> personally would use.
>
> No, actually Ron (the post your shows as replying to) spoke
> of NTBackup
>
> Gotta "cop and attitude" eh?  What is it with people like
> you? You insecure or something?

You are correct. I didn't follow the thread. YOU AND Ron
referred to NTBackup. The original poster asked about Veritas
and I answered, nothing more nothing less. No attitude here
except yours that shows above.

Since you don't know who I am, explain exactly who "people like
you" are...

Larry
0
riding (28)
6/10/2005 10:42:14 PM
> You are correct. I didn't follow the thread. YOU AND Ron
> referred to NTBackup. The original poster asked about Veritas
> and I answered, nothing more nothing less. No attitude here
> except yours that shows above.

0
Phillip
6/13/2005 1:40:26 PM
"Larry" <riding@my.valkyrie> wrote in message
> You are correct. I didn't follow the thread. YOU AND Ron
> referred to NTBackup. The original poster asked about Veritas
> and I answered, nothing more nothing less. No attitude here
> except yours that shows above.
>
> Since you don't know who I am, explain exactly who "people like
> you" are...

Hang around any of the Public Newsgroups for while and you notice that there
are a lot of people that come into them asking questions that seem to be
just "iching" to be offended, or just wating for you to say one little wrong
word and they "go off" in you If they aren't doing that, then they have a
fit if the answer you give them isn't what they "wanted to hear", in spite
of the fact you are telling them the truth.  So, for me, who does this for
free, as a volunteer, for about 8 hours a day, five days a week, for about 5
years,.....it just gets a bit "old" to put up with crap from people.
Writing in ALL CAPS is interpreted as "yelling" or having an "attitude".

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

0
Phillip

Error 554 5.5.2 "No valid recipients"
One of our departments is using a web application that is trying to send email using Exchange 2003 as its SMTP server. The web application is NOT using a native SMTP engine so there is no relaying involved. When the application points to the Exchange server and tries to send an email to an external recipient, it returns error 554 5.5.2 "No valid recipients". Sending through the same web application to internal users is successful. We have tested the following: 1.) Sent email from Outlook client to the external recipient using the Exchange server - this works fine. 2.) Teln...

Exchange 5.5 IMS Services Awaiting delivery
Sorry I clicked YES and i think I may have ended the posting by doing so Thank you for you time in this Yes i can see all the messages and who they are from most of them are just spammed emails with an unknown sender. ( ifo you mean looking via the IMS services awaiting delivery queue unedr the properties page) "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote: > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:49:03 -0800, pockettes > <pockettes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > > > >Hello, > >I have several emails queued for delivery. I am unable to delete them. Many > >are from ...

message to bounce between two Exchange 5.5 and 2003 servers
I have one recipient whose mail box is on an Exchange 5.5. Only this recipient from this server is not able to receive any emails sent from people on the Exchange 2003. The error code # 5.4.6 is generated which states: "A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients" Any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Mail Rules #5
Can you tell me where to find instructions about how to fix mail rules? One of my mail rules will not allow me to modify it. The Rules discription is grayed out and the MODIFY and REMOVE buttons are grayed out and do not work. Which version? What I have done is just re-create the rule and that does the trick. Only rules I have found that get greyed out are ones created by Outlook for the junk email senders. "Rich Wendrock" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:204501c46ff3$aa155f80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Can you tell me where to find instru...

Exchange 2003 new domain adding
I have a domain (abc.com). I just purchased another one (xyz.com) and I need to create all the users under this new domain. If I have a user as mark@abc.com, I also need the user to be mark@xyz.com How can I do this? Is it possible that once I have the second domain created with all the users to forward the emails coming to to @abc.com to go to xyz.com? Thanks Manolo after you get your MX record in place, add a new recipient policy... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268838/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Manolo" <Manolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83EC4...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Exchange E-mail Router Support and Access Rights
The IG documentation states that Windows Server 2003 is a supported operating system. Is Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 supported. It also states Microsoft Exchnage Server 2003 must be installed. Is Exchange 2003 service pack 2 supported? What privledges does an administer need to have to be able to rollout the inbox rules? I cannot find that informaiton anywhere int eh IG. What access do they have to have in Exchange, AD, on teh Exchaneg boxes? Thanks Hoss Pretty sure the admin needs to be an Exchange Admin to roll-out the rules. I have not heard anything definate on E...

Our organization needs Drop Ship in GP8.0 and later.it was in 7.5
The drop Ship feature has been eliminated from 8.0, why?! It was a tool that we had seen in 7.5 and was part of our decision to purchase GP. This feature will save hundreds of man hours on an annual basis. Please consider updating or loading it into updates. Crucial!!!! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and th...

Exchange Configuration #2
I have Exchange 2003 as a member of a 2003 Domain in a T1 . What ports do I need open in the T1 firewall and for what purposes? how do I access exchange from the outside? we have a web site on the outside thus, I am told that the web site needs an MX record - the IP of the exchange server. thanks, Raul Rego You will need port 25 for SMTP mail. Port 80 or 443 for Outlook Web Access. MX records really don't have anything to do with websites, but everything to do with being able to receive internet mail. So yes, you do need an MX record, but pointing to your mail server. "...

Exchange 2000 Deleting Mailboxes
When a Exchange2000 mailbox is deleted with all messages still in it, are there any potential orphaning problems? I also want to know what happens to new messages sent to that account after it is has been deleted. I assume they get bounced back to the sender, but I want to make sure they don't get sent to the admin mailbox. Thank you, Wes So, you delete an account or you delete a mailbox? They are different things. If you delete one, the other is still there. If you delete an account, mailbox is orphaned but you can reconnect it before mailbox retention time expires. As for the new me...

Exchange 5.5 Distribution Lists
I am running in Exchange 5.5/2000 mixed mode and I have noticed that if I change ownership of a distribution list using Exchange Admin, the permissions of that object are not automatically updated (I have to manually give the "owner" the permission needed to add members to the list). Is this some old Exchange 5.5 thing??? ...

Exchange and Smart Host or SMTP
I am a newbie, so please bear with me. We just set up a new DELL system. Server using MS Small Business Server 2003, with 4 workstations using MS XP Pro Problem that we are having is sending outgoing emails. Most incoming mail we are receiving. Using Exchange and Pop ISP is pacbell.ne incoming is: pop.pacbell.yahoo.co outoging is: smtp.pacbell.yahoo.co service is dynamic I using firebox SOHO 6 box with DELL powerconnec As of this point for a week now, certain domains or isp will not accept outgoing email, namely DELL.com, HP.com, AOL, Earthlink, SBC global, etc Message is "c...

Exchange 2003 LDAP configuration
Warning - I'm a coder not a system admin guy, so be gentle with me and I apologise for any stupid questions! I want to connect to our exchange server, using LDAP, eventually to get hold of the global address list. The problem is that I'm stumbling at the very first hurdle - I'm not sure if I'm connecting to the correct port (I've tried all the LDAP defaults 389, 636 etc), I'm not sure I'm trying to connect with the correct user (I've tried the username I use to log into OWA and Administrator) and I'm not even sure if the LDAP service (if there is a separate...

Exchange 5.5 ADC
Google hasn't been much help on this one, nor the MSKB. In my test environment, I created an Active Directory Connector for Exchange 5.5 to AD. Unfortunately, it's not replicating the SMTP addresses for the users EXCEPT the default SMTP addresses that were assigned to them at the time I installed the ADC. Any idea why? I'm using the ADC that came on the Exchange 2003 SP1 CD if that helps... "Kripes" <kripes@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23xSWqkaUFHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Google hasn't been much help on this one, nor the MSKB. > >...

exchange 2003 transaction logs #2
Hi, I just built a exchange 2003 server and used exmerge to import mail into the server. There was approx 25 gig of pst files. During the end of the exmerge the transaction logs filled up the drive and killed the exmerge. I tried to run a online backup but it failed because there was no space left on the exchange drive (exchange stopped also) What would be be best course of action to fix this? thx jason On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:55:23 -0600, "jason.sigurdur" <comp.techs@aspenview.org> wrote: >Hi, I just built a exchange 2003 server and used exmerge to import mail into...

Adding 2nd @emailaddress.com To Exchange
We are running Exchange 2003 on Native AD. Our company is adding starting a 2nd division which will have it's own email domain. Example. Currently Address user@email1.com Need to add: user@email2.com I know I can add multiple addresses to the Exchange server but now here is the tricky part. If an email comes in to user@email2.com we need him/her to be able to reply back and the email go out with the @email2.com address in the from field/properties. All the test I have ran put the Primary address in the from field. (user@email1.com). Should I look at adding a 2nd email client? T...

Indicator for tasks extending beyond project completion date
1. Our project has a targetted completion of June 30, 2010. 2. For visual purposes, I created a milestone 'Project complete - target June 30, 2010' which has a deadline of June 30 and a 'Must Finish On' June 30 constraint (knowing that this is an inflexible constraint) so that I can visualize the milestone and deadline on the same June 30 date. 3. How do I have indicators appear against tasks that end beyond the targeted project end date? Thanks Hi, Link the task to the projected end and they will show negative slack (whihc, through a simple formula in a ...

help with schema for xml data from exchange server

IS CDO installed by default on Exchange server?
Is CDO installed by default on exchange server or do you need to activate it? steve "sdmusicmaker" <sdmusicmaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC69D53A-B88B-4BC0-A8C4-9EB5C9D85B35@microsoft.com... > Is CDO installed by default on exchange server or do you need to activate it? > > steve Yes. There are a few different flavours of CDO (CDO 1.21, CDOEX, CDOSYS), but all are present by default. Lee. -- _______________________________________ Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP www.owapda.com email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m _______________...

Bookmark is not valid
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Exchange 2003 on a clean Windows 2003 server. This has really become a pain. I have Exchange 2003 standard installed and configured. On the server side things seem to be OK as I have not seen any of the previous problems I tried to correct in the previous week. However, whenever I try to set up Outlook 2003 to connect to Exchange I get "The name could bot be resolved. The bookmark is not valid" as an error (God bless Microsoft for their descriptive error messages.) I have NO IDEA what this means and have had no success with any of the remedies I&#...

Exchange over ADSL VPN
Hi, I am running Windows 2003 SBS for clients based in 5 sites across australia. 2 sites are connected to Head Office by 512/128 ADSL connections, 1 site is connected via 128/64 ADSL and the others are connected via dial up. All clients use Outlook 2003. Large (500K and above) outbound emails from any site seem to take an extremely long (hours) to send and some of them are corrupt once they have been sent. Any idea why it's taking so long to send the file? Did you enable the Outlook 2003 cached mode ? -- Benoit Boudeville [Exchange MVP 2003-2004] "Paul Findlay" wrote: ...

Exchange 2003 OWA Logon Problem
I am having an odd problem when logging on to our OWA server when adding an extra SMTP address for a user. I am able to replicate the problem, and if creating a test user and assigning it the smtp address of testuser@ourdomain.com that user can logon to OWA without a problem. If I add a 2nd smtp address for that user such as testuser2ndaddress@ourdomain.com and try to connect to the OWA server, I get a "The page cannot be found" after entering the logon credentials for that user. If I remove the 2nd smtp address, the user can logon to OWA without a problem. I hope someone kn...

Changing exchange 2k3 administrator password
Greetings- My company really needs to change the exchange 2k3 admin password for security reasons (old employees possess that password). It needs to be done but I am apprehensive. I am afraid to change it because I am worried that it might affect services. I don't want to bring our mail system down. Are my fears appropriate or will it not affect mail services? Thanks for any input. There is no E2003 System Administrator account per se in E2003 as it was in Exch 5.5, Exchange 200x runs under the local system account, so unless you have done something screwy or are in mixed mode , there sho...

Renaming 5.5 Mailboxes
We have a process where groups of NT domain accounts get renamed by a script. This list of account names is then sent to us in the Exchange team. What we then have to do is rename the mailboxes to reflect the NT account name change. We also have to hide the maiboxes and set the maximum send and recieve size to 0Kb to prevent further message delivery. The name change is always the same by the way. It's just a prefix of YY to place them all at the end of the GAL/User Manager accounts list. The problem is, there are hundreds of these accounts so we really don't want to be doing this m...

Create ItemCheck event with Listview from Common Controls 5.0
Hello, I'm using the Listview from MS Common Controls 5.0, because it supports XP style and I'm adding checkboxes with the LVS_EX_CHECKBOXES constant. This works fine, but when the user clicks on a checkbox, the data from that row needs to be copied to an other Listview and some other things need to be done. The problem is that the 5.0 Listview doesn't have an ItemCheck event, like the 6.0 Listview does. I can get the state of the checkbox manually with SendMessage and the LVM_GETITEMSTATE constant, but then I have to loop through the Listview continuously. Is there a way...

550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found
Hi Getting receipent not found "sometimes" when sending email to an exchange user. With this user in question i delete the mailbox, delete the user account, create a new user with exactly the same user name and same email address. Now , "sometimes" i get error 500 5.1.1 and sometimes i dont. "The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text t...