Exchange 5.5 and Spam - a headache

We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to find a user
id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands of outbound messages
that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend some money on an
anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the solutions I found were
not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???




0
12/19/2003 10:13:32 AM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

9 Replies
432 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com). They have a free and a paid
version, both work with Exchange 5.5

Ghareeb Rahi wrote:

> We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to find a user
> id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands of outbound messages
> that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend some money on an
> anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the solutions I found were
> not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???

0
drock (4)
12/19/2003 11:51:21 AM
XWall - www.dataenter.com; very inexpensive.....

"Denzel Rock" <drock@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:3FE2E639.7EC18A25@nospam.com...
> Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com). They have a free and a paid
> version, both work with Exchange 5.5
>
> Ghareeb Rahi wrote:
>
> > We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to find a user
> > id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands of outbound
messages
> > that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend some money on
an
> > anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the solutions I found
were
> > not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???
>


0
12/19/2003 3:30:03 PM
GFI Mail Essentials work on all (supported) versions of 
Exchange from 5.5-2003 on NT4, 2000 or 2003.  It includes 
Bayesian SPAM Filtering, Multiple Disclaimers, Auto-
replies, Pop-Downloader, DNSBL, Archive to DB (incoming or 
outgoing email)...  very inexpensive and the very 
effective.  Can run on the Exchange Server or on an SMTP 
Gateway.

It's licensed by # of mailboxes, i.e. 10, 25, 50, 100, 
500, Unlimited.  Prices range from $275 for 10 mailboxes 
to $1175 for unlimited mailboxes, with steps inbetween, 
i.e. we paid $595 for 100 mailboxes.

www.gfi.com/me

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
 
>-----Original Message-----
>We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to 
find a user
>id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands 
of outbound messages
>that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend 
some money on an
>anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the 
solutions I found were
>not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???
>
>
>
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
12/19/2003 4:19:00 PM
Thank you for the link. I downloaded spammarshall and installed it. Looks
pretty good. One question: their web site recommends running SpamMarshall on
a stand-alone machine. I don't have that luxury, are you using it on the
same machine where Exchange is or a separate machine?




"Denzel Rock" <drock@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:3FE2E639.7EC18A25@nospam.com...
> Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com). They have a free and a paid
> version, both work with Exchange 5.5
>
> Ghareeb Rahi wrote:
>
> > We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to find a user
> > id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands of outbound
messages
> > that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend some money on
an
> > anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the solutions I found
were
> > not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???
>


0
12/19/2003 4:53:09 PM
Ghareeb,

You don't have to install it on a different machine. We had installed Spam
Marshall on the same machine where Exchange was running when we first starting
using it. However, now we moved it to a different machine. In our case this
other machine is a Linux box that resides in our DMZ. This way all the viruses
that come via email never come to our Exchange box ever. The best feature we
like about Spam Marshall is their web interface. You can access it from anywhere
within your company.


Denzel



Ghareeb Rahi wrote:

> Thank you for the link. I downloaded spammarshall and installed it. Looks
> pretty good. One question: their web site recommends running SpamMarshall on
> a stand-alone machine. I don't have that luxury, are you using it on the
> same machine where Exchange is or a separate machine?
>
> "Denzel Rock" <drock@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:3FE2E639.7EC18A25@nospam.com...
> > Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com). They have a free and a paid
> > version, both work with Exchange 5.5
> >
> > Ghareeb Rahi wrote:
> >
> > > We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to find a user
> > > id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands of outbound
> messages
> > > that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend some money on
> an
> > > anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the solutions I found
> were
> > > not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???
> >

0
drock (4)
12/19/2003 5:30:50 PM
Does this product scan outbound messages generated by Exchange users? That
is not clear from the website. For example, from
http://www.spammarshall.com/SpamMarshallWeb/CorporateEditionMX.jsp "As the
name implies, Spam Marshall SpamWall for Exchange works just like a network
firewall - it intercepts, inspects, and identifies ALL emails arriving into
your network.


"Denzel Rock" <drock@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:3FE2E639.7EC18A25@nospam.com...
> Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com). They have a free and a paid
> version, both work with Exchange 5.5
>
> Ghareeb Rahi wrote:
>
> > We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to find a user
> > id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands of outbound
messages
> > that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend some money on
an
> > anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the solutions I found
were
> > not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???
>


0
paulp1 (3)
12/19/2003 10:25:11 PM
Only true if you are using Exchange 2000 or 2003. If, as the original poster
is, you are running 5.5, you *must* run in on a separate machine.

-- 
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0ac301c3c64b$cfb3f4b0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> GFI Mail Essentials work on all (supported) versions of
> Exchange from 5.5-2003 on NT4, 2000 or 2003.  It includes
> Bayesian SPAM Filtering, Multiple Disclaimers, Auto-
> replies, Pop-Downloader, DNSBL, Archive to DB (incoming or
> outgoing email)...  very inexpensive and the very
> effective.  Can run on the Exchange Server or on an SMTP
> Gateway.


0
rasilon1 (689)
12/20/2003 7:30:29 AM
Paul,
Depending on your configuration the answer is Yes and No. SM (Spam Marshall)
will intercept outbound messages if you are coming from outside. One example
would be an employee in your company who is working from home but uses the
company's SMTP server. In this case since the firewall is configured to send
all messages to SM first, the message will be scanned. People who reside within
your company's firewall have two choices, either they can connect directly to
Exchange or connect via SM. If a user connect directly to Exchange then Spam
Marshall will not know about this and therefore, their messages won't be
scanned.

Denzel

Paul Phillabaum wrote:

> Does this product scan outbound messages generated by Exchange users? That
> is not clear from the website. For example, from
> http://www.spammarshall.com/SpamMarshallWeb/CorporateEditionMX.jsp "As the
> name implies, Spam Marshall SpamWall for Exchange works just like a network
> firewall - it intercepts, inspects, and identifies ALL emails arriving into
> your network.
>
> "Denzel Rock" <drock@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:3FE2E639.7EC18A25@nospam.com...
> > Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com). They have a free and a paid
> > version, both work with Exchange 5.5
> >
> > Ghareeb Rahi wrote:
> >
> > > We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to find a user
> > > id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands of outbound
> messages
> > > that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend some money on
> an
> > > anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the solutions I found
> were
> > > not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???
> >

0
drock (4)
12/20/2003 12:15:43 PM
I just updated my copy of SM and found a new feature that can be used to optionally
bypass filtering for outbound messages.

Denzel.



Denzel Rock wrote:

> Paul,
> Depending on your configuration the answer is Yes and No. SM (Spam Marshall)
> will intercept outbound messages if you are coming from outside. One example
> would be an employee in your company who is working from home but uses the
> company's SMTP server. In this case since the firewall is configured to send
> all messages to SM first, the message will be scanned. People who reside within
> your company's firewall have two choices, either they can connect directly to
> Exchange or connect via SM. If a user connect directly to Exchange then Spam
> Marshall will not know about this and therefore, their messages won't be
> scanned.
>
> Denzel
>
> Paul Phillabaum wrote:
>
> > Does this product scan outbound messages generated by Exchange users? That
> > is not clear from the website. For example, from
> > http://www.spammarshall.com/SpamMarshallWeb/CorporateEditionMX.jsp "As the
> > name implies, Spam Marshall SpamWall for Exchange works just like a network
> > firewall - it intercepts, inspects, and identifies ALL emails arriving into
> > your network.
> >
> > "Denzel Rock" <drock@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:3FE2E639.7EC18A25@nospam.com...
> > > Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com). They have a free and a paid
> > > version, both work with Exchange 5.5
> > >
> > > Ghareeb Rahi wrote:
> > >
> > > > We use Exchange 5.5 and two days ago someone was able to find a user
> > > > id/password on our machine and was sending us thousands of outbound
> > messages
> > > > that were spam. Now my boss has finally decided to spend some money on
> > an
> > > > anti-spam solution. I checked google but most of the solutions I found
> > were
> > > > not for Exchange 5.5. Any suggestions???
> > >

0
drock (4)
12/20/2003 4:48:00 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange question
I currently have Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000. I am getting ready to setup a new box with Exchange 2003 Ent. on Windows Server 2003. Here are my questions: 1) Does my Exchange server have to be in Native mode before I can upgrade? 2) If I change it to Native mode, will I need to reboot my server? 3) Do I need to reboot the server after I run the Forest and Domain Prep? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kit It's been *a while* since I upgraded to Ex2003, but I believe the answers would be: No No No ------------------------ Chris Williams Sirana Software www.sir...

Recipient Filtering in Exchange 2003
I've read M$ article 823866 and I'm looking at enabling Recipient Filtering. Has anybody tested/enabled this feature in Exchange 2003? Are their any "gotchas" I need to look out for? Does this feature increase CPU load - I figure it might as the server must now query a GC *during the SMTP conversation* to verify that the recipient address is in the GAL. Are their any negatives with regard to this setting? Does it aid spammers, perhaps, with Directory Harvest Attacks? Just making sure to dot my i's and cross my t's before moving forward. Thanks for any responses...

Do I need DSClient to run Exchange 5.5 on an NT4.0 box in Windows 2003 Native Mode ADS?
Good Evening, I am in the process of migrating my WinNT4.0 domain and Exchange 5.5 Org to Windows 2003 ADS/Exchange 2003. I know best practice is to change the domain to Native mode, but how does this affect my NT4.0 server running 5.5? Do I need to simply load the DSClient onto the server? I should also note that we did an inplace upgrade from NT 4.0. This is a single domain environment. As long as you no longer have NT 4.0 BDCs you should be able to move to native mode. Your NT 4.0 server running E55 will not be affected (unless of course it is also a BDC). It is a good idea to...

Exchange 5.5 MTA Event-ID 290 after site removal
Hi, hopefully someone can help me. We have Exchange 5.5 Org (most SP4) ā€“ 1 hub site and 5 spoke sites. In our hub site we have 1 connector server and one mailbox server. Due to Exchange server consolidation, I removed one site (KB324340) ā€“ same procedure as I did it three times before - Now Iā€™m getting every 4 hours on the bridgehead server in the hub site the following event-id, which points to the old and removed server/site: MTA Event-ID 290 ā€“ NDR,.. A non-delivery report (reason code unable-to-transfer and diagnostic code unrecognised-OR-name)) is being generated for message message. ...

Data Validation problem #5
hi I think that is a different solution entirely - in that example yo gave me it is a simple case of choosing one list and that then sets th range for list 2, however the second set of lists are all individual my requirement is that the validation picks the required items out o just ONE list, whereas in the example you needed to maintain individua lists each of which was dependant on the first selection -- moosife ----------------------------------------------------------------------- moosifer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1590 View this threa...

Exchange Server Backup
When using the Windows Backup utility on my 03 Exchange Clustered server, there is no 'Microsoft Exchange Server' option to check under the Backup tab (like the docs show...only My Computer, My Documents, and My Network Places). Any ideas why? I see no documentation saying I need to do soemthing to make it appear. Thx Is Exchange System Manager installed on the machine that you are trying to run the backup from? -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Exchange 5.5 in Windows 2000 Domain
HI I am looking for any advise I can get on this subject, or any references you may have. Basically I have an NT4 PDC that currently has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. I have a windows 2000 Database server that is just a member server of hte domain. My NT4 machine is running out of space, so I am getting a new server for exchange. I will install Windows 2000 on this server and then follow the Ed Crowley Server Move method, to move my exchange server over to this new machine. I am comfortable with this. I have just now installed an NT4 BDC into the domain (it is only a very old machine so it ...

Strange Exchange 2003 Pop Problem
If anyone may be able to shed some light on this strange happening I would really appreciate it. I have Exchange Server 2003 running, all of my users can check their email using Outlook/Popping just fine. They also can all go to OWA and check their email fine. I have one user that can use OWA to check her mail, it takes her password, lets her in but if she tries to use Outlook on her desktop it keeps popping up a password error. No matter which station I am at, I can not check email with this account other than using OWA with a web browser. Nothing was changed on the server, I have reset the...

Can Action Pack Subscribers exchange Professional Licenses for SBE
Hi, Action pack subscription offers 5 Licenses of CRM 3.0 Professional edition. SBS 2003 Premium is also offered as part of Action pack. Now if a customer has a small setup and would prefer a single box deployment of CRM on SBS 2003 Premium, can the Professional edition License be replaced or exchanged with SBE edition licenses? If so who can provide details as to media and Product/license keys for CRM. regards Sree Scree, It is likely that the action pack subscription entitles you to 5 x CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition licenses. Here is the UK link for the action pack contenst ( it ...

Landed Cost #5
I am trying to implement Landed cost and when the added cost is added on through the system the it will not take the added cost of landed cost to the account specified by the accrued purchase price account but sending it to the variance purchase price unrealized that is specefied under the actual item. is there any easy answer for this? I would like to update the post in simpler terms it will use the accrued purchases account indicated in Landed cost maintenance but it is not using the account specified by the purchase price variance account specified in landed cost maintenance. It i...

Duplicate emails on exchange server 5.5
Im using w2k server sp4, and exchange server 5.5 witn sp4 also Im suprised that some of the users are receiving duplicate emails local and internet and it is continously increasing and annoying to the user that they received the same kind of emails despite the fact that they read already. What seems to be the problem. Thank you very much in advance for your help. Manny >>receiving duplicate emails local and internet local and internet? Are they different messages? Is the user a member of a distribution list and are the messages sent to the DL and the user? Manny wrote: > Im...

Exchange Migration Issue
Hello All, I have multiple copies of email in my user email accounts after migration. I used Exchange Migration Tool to Migrate email accounts from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. Since we did not switch over to the new server right away , there were 2 days of emails still pending to be imported so I used the Migration tool again to migrate emails filtered based on date, but it seems that exchange migration has migrated all emails again, and now users have 2 to 3 copies of each email. Is there a way to remove the duplicate copies ? if so how can I go about doing that? Any pointer...

GroupShield 4.5
Hi, Can anyone point me to an online 4.5 manual. My network administrator has suggested that attachments which are sent me and are being blocked by GS 4.5 is quite difficult to have a script/permissions written which will allow the attachments to get through. Thanks for any advice. Grant. Hi Grant, I've got the manuals on PDF... I'll e-mail them to you. From what I remember it's very much a case that you either block the file type for all users or you don't... Regards, Chris For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchange.co.uk >-----Original M...

Outlook client bandwidth to remote exch5.5 server
We are using exchange 5.5 and are going to get some clinets access the server through our WAN links. They are going to use outllook 2000 and are going to access the exchange server like if it was local. We have a huge bandwidth pipe to our exchange server but I just want to how much bandwidth would for example 60 clients take if they were accessing exchange 5.5 through the WAN link at the same time. Or for example how much bandwidth would one outllook client take. If you need to know more parameters please let me know. On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:43:54 +0100, "gurvinder.nijjar" <...

Exchange Disaster Recovery #4
We are using Exchange 2003 with Veritas 9.0. Individual mailbox backup was taking way too long so now I'm just backing up the malibox store. I am aware that if I want to restore (1) users mailbox I would have to restore the whole store...can I resstore to a different mailbox store on the same Exchange server for disaster recovery or do I need another Exchange server? If I can, what are the procedures for doing so? Kind Regards, Ali On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:31:38 -0400, "obgyn" <obgyn@comunities.nospam.com> wrote: >We are using Exchange 2003 with Veritas 9.0. Ind...

Contact categories & Exchange 2003: do they work together?
In my Small Business Server environment, I want Exchange to manage the Master category list for Outlook. I have been unable to locate an appropriate setting for this. Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, My contacts are all located in a public folder. "Paul van Egmond" <paul@oenone.nl> wrote: >In my Small Business Server environment, I want Exchange >to manage the Master category list for Outlook. I have >been unable to locate an appropriate setting for this. >Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, My contacts are >all located in a public folder. ...

Restoring a single mailbox into Exchange 2000 SP3 environment.
I perform nightly ntbackups of our entire information store. In the past I would restore the entire information store to a test clone Exchange environment server and then open the mailbox required using Outlook and export the mailbox to a pst, and then import that pst into the exiting production mailbox using outlook again. As you all probably know with a 23gig information store this is horribly time consuming, and it drives me nuts. Can someone provide me an alternative solution to this? On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:57:54 -0400, "frank s" <SFDSFDSF@SFSDFDSFSA.COM> wrote: ...

ADMT
We are migrating our current Windows 2000 Active Directory domain into a brand new (and appropriately named) domain using the Active Directory Migration Tool 2.0. We have a single domain and a single Exchange 2000 server. We are not upgrading Active Directory or Exchange in this migration. All users, groups and computers will be migrated to this new domain, including the Exchange server. Should the migration tool be able to successfully migrate everything without having to build another Exchange server in the target domain first? I have successfully tested migrating users, groups and mach...

How to disable the "implicit mx record" in Exchange
I am having a problem with exchange sending to hosts in recipient domains where these hosts are not actually mail servers. After a lot of review of the SMTP logs, I realized that sometimes Exchange is sending to the correct MX record host, and sometimes it is sending to the host with the A record for the actual domain. When I say the record for the domain, I mean an A record that refences the bare domain name rather than an individual host in the domain. So when Exchange gets a DNS timeout looking up an MX record, it falls back to sending to the domain A record. This causes an immed...

Exch 5.5 public folder duplication
We have created a Public folder of type Post. All users can post and read from it. We use it as an items for sale area. Sometimes, however, multiple entries of the same entry appear, sometimes 2, 3 or 4 copies. Anyone know what might be causing this? ...

Copy Exchange Mail Store
I would like to copy a mailbox store to a test server. What is the best way to go about this? Copy the priv.edb and priv.stm from your MDBDATA Folder of your Exchange Server. You will have to stop your Exchange Information Store service to do this. You will also have to remount the database and and reconnect user mailboxes on the test server. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "ssills" <ssills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0CB5304-47EF-40D1-95A0-4CCD0CD01A67@microsoft.com... >I would like to copy a ma...

Can't See New Public Folders on Just Added Backend Exchange Server
I recently added a new exchange server to an existing site,admin group, routing group. I am running in native mode. Now when I create new public folders on the new server, my clients are not seeing it (all client mailboxes are on the first server). It has been several hours now and they are still not visible. Any ideas? Thanks, tke042 ...

Exchange 5.5 standard hit 16gb limit!
Exchange server standard 5.5 hit 16gb limit. seems the admin account used for internet connector service has about 2 million messages in it. Theres only a gb or so left on the drive, I cannot delete that users mailbox. Im guessing because its a logged operation and theres not enough diskspace for the log. I dont have the mailbox cleanup wizard from sp3, what can be done? A defrag of course wont work since it needs 10% additional (still wouldnt cleanup those 2 million messages!). So.. it comes up and a few minutes later goes down again. How else can I get these messages removed with this...

Phantom Exchange Account
I just got setting up Exchange 2003 Stand for a client, had everything working good and was getting ready to leave. The designated Admin then decides to try to edit the Global address List and deletes the Exchange User account I created to install Exchange from AD. Now I have a phanton "S-1-etc.." account in my security settings for Exchange. Ive tried running the delegation wizard but it errors out. Any suggestions? Authoritative restore of AD. Unless there were other accounts that were Delegated Exchange Full Admin rights, restoring AD may be the only way to correct th...

Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2000 Server
I have upgraded from Office XP to Office 2003 and all appeared to go well but now Outlook will not connect to the Exchange server. Reports error in conf for RPC. OWA stills works fine. Also when I try to add Exchange Server it reports that the server is not online, but it is. I have review everything on MS site but have found nothing that deals with this issue. do you have these keys? [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols] "ncacn_np"="rpcrt4.dll" "ncacn_ip_tcp"="rpcrt4.dll" "ncadg_ip_udp"="rpcrt4.dll" "...