Exchange 2k won't start after downloading "windows updates"

Hi All,
I really need help on this. My company Exchange (2K) server won't start
after downloading and installing the windows updates yesterday. There is "no
signal" on the monitor. I tried pluing it to another monitor and still has
the same result. the Processor lights flashes for awhile right after it's
turned on and it will stop. Is it because the server can't detect the
monitor, so that it can't continue loading? Please help me. Thanks

Sherrie

0
kck1122 (3)

Hello Sherrie

This is an Exchange newsgroup for Exchange specific issues. It sounds like
you are having issues with the system itself or the video card, not
Exchange. I would recommend posting your problem to one of the Windows
newsgroups.

Here are a couple of things to check.
1. Does the monitor work on another system?
    If so, its likely not the monitor.
2. Do you see the BIOS load on bootup?
3. Do you have another video card that you can try using?

A machine doesn't need a monitor to boot. Turn it on and then see if you can
ping it from a different machine. If you have Terminal Server installed on
it, see if you can connect to it using the TS client or a remote Desktop
Connection.

--
Michael Barta [MSFT]
Microsoft Exchange Support

newsgroup purposes only.

"Sherrie" <kck1122@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I really need help on this. My company Exchange (2K) server won't start
> after downloading and installing the windows updates yesterday. There is
> "no
> signal" on the monitor. I tried pluing it to another monitor and still has
> the same result. the Processor lights flashes for awhile right after it's
> turned on and it will stop. Is it because the server can't detect the
> monitor, so that it can't continue loading? Please help me. Thanks
>
> Sherrie

0
mbarta (202)
5/5/2004 8:21:50 PM
Thank you for your reply Michael. The monitor works on another system.
nothing shows up on the monitor, the video card is attached to the
motherboard. I will try posting my question in windows newsgroup. Thanks

Sherrie

"Sherrie" <kck1122@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I really need help on this. My company Exchange (2K) server won't start
> after downloading and installing the windows updates yesterday. There is
"no
> signal" on the monitor. I tried pluing it to another monitor and still has
> the same result. the Processor lights flashes for awhile right after it's
> turned on and it will stop. Is it because the server can't detect the
> monitor, so that it can't continue loading? Please help me. Thanks
>
> Sherrie

0
kck1122 (3)

Not able to send attachments since installing last windows updates
Error Message: Subject 'music, see if it works.', Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19 I never had trouble sending larger attachments before the most recent windows updates. I seem to receive them just fine. Among the updates, was an update for windows mail junk email filter. Didn't really think it would affect my outgoing mail, but it is the only recent change/update and the trouble started then. Help? My understanding is that the former Bellsouth custo...

Downloading windows updates
I am trying to download windows updates. Initially it asked me to download Active X Control which I did, but then didn't proceed to enable me to download windows updates. Whenever I go to the windows update page again, it asks me to download Active X Control by clicking on the information bar, but there is no longer an information bar. I also do not get an error message. How do I download the latest windows update now? golucky8 wrote: > I am trying to download windows updates. Initially it asked me to > download Active X Control which I did, but then didn't proc...

Turn off windows updates
Our office uses a computer guy who has turned off all of windows updates. He said we dont need them. Can anyone confirm this. Thank you "Donna@Repco" <Donna@Repco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DF4F981-39FC-428C-BCDA-586FCB8D1347@microsoft.com... > > Our office uses a computer guy who has turned off all of windows updates. > He said we dont need them. Can anyone confirm this. > > Thank you BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Has he tried to sell you a train yet? -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fi...

Windows Updates Failed
Automatic Updates is enabled. Updates download but will not install. Failed installation. Also cannot instal updates for Skype or Adobe Please advise. Thanks • Which version of the Windows operating system am I running? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-operating-system-am-i-running • Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Wi...

windows updates 11-22-09
windows update encountered an update error code 646 and code 643 bisbi See the following http://lmgtfy.com/?q=646%2Berror%2Boffice+site%3Asocial.answers.microsoft.com -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "bisbi" <bisbi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01E4DA33-6ED7-4C35-A110-277CF7006648@microsoft.com... > windows update encountered an update error code 646 and code 643 ...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

outlook quit sending emails after last windows updates.
After yesterdays download of windows updates, outlook quit sending emails. I use 3 email accounts, all three through different services and all three receive, but all 3 quit sending. HELP! Version of Outlook? Type of mail accounts? Which exact updates did you install? The Windows Update log lists KB numbers behind the updates. Did you reboot after applying the updates? Which send/receive errors do you get? A common cause for sending not working after applying updates is that your (3rd party) firewall blocks the updated version of outlook.exe. Recreating the outgoing excep...

Normal users can install and use windows updates due to templates
I have a problem in that a lot of the users in the network are able to use windows update, even though they don't have the permissions to do so. I think this was set up so people could install iTunes and the like, but I'm not sure, (I've only been working here for four weeks). I would like it so that people can still install iTunes and similar programs, but they cant access windows update. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Matt In a corporate network why would you want normal users to have permissions to install iTunes and similar programs? You can pr...

Windows Updates of Late
I am posting this thread because of the problems reported in this Newsgroup about KB977165 and possibly others, released appx 2/10/2010. Most reported by professionals about "clients" getting the BSoD. Note the thread... http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/cc25c907ca9538cc/6b76aef1e5eb087c?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=help+network#6b76aef1e5eb087c ....about NOT being able to "Disable Network Connection," which occurred after the 2/10/2010 updates. A quote from one post on KB977165: "I had a problem ...

How can re-update "failed" Windows Updates?
What are the steps. Thank You -- Kristen Rios Which is the update(s) failing to install? Further information required: Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log and then click OK. Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to download/install. Start at the bottom and work your way up to a section that shows an ERROR, WARNING, or FATAL. If appropriate copy and paste the error codes into this thread so someone may be able to assist y...

I don't get any Windows updates.
I can't get any automatic updates and when I try manually I get the error code: 80072EFE. I haven't seen any resolutions for this in Microsoft help. Yankee wrote: > I can't get any automatic updates and when I try manually I get the error > code: 80072EFE. I haven't seen any resolutions for this in Microsoft help. Either read this - How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 and post back with some relevant information so that someone *may* assist you with this error or roll your own - http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.as...

IMF update not detected in Windows Updates
I have Exchange SP2 inside SBS 2003 and can not get Windows Update to detect IMF updates. I have added the key ContentFilterState (1) in Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\MicrosoftExchange and restarted the SMTP service I have applied the IMF checkbox in the General - Advanced properties for the SMTP Virtual Server and restarted the SMTP service. When I run Widows Update, no updates are detected. I understand the key ContentFilterState with a setting of (1) is supposed to trigger the update from Micrososoft but Windows Update seems to be missing it. Any suggestions what next? I have had f...

Windows updates won't run
I just realized that updates has not run since February 12, 2009. I tried to tell it to run and it says it is searching for updates but never finishes. I did get an error message earlier but do not remember the error code number. Now, I ask it to search for updates and it goes out and searches but never finishes. The Task Manager shows that the job is running. any thoughts? Thank in Advance "bfjplt" <bfjplt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:491C6205-08C1-44A1-B3DD-98E4AAE66C26@microsoft.com... > I just realized that updates has not run since...

Doing windows updates on SBS 2003
not sure if this is the wrong forum, but we use our SBS 2003 for exchange server and active sync. Thier are a few updates on the task bar that keep popping up and I want to do the updates, but i will have to do them on an evening when people arent here so it can restart and in case thier are problems. I am afraid of doing those windows updates because if something jacks up i might not know how to fix it... (i know alot about computers just not alot about servers).... I was just curious how some of other companies do updates, i heard they have a mirrored server that they do the updates on (a...

Latest Windows updates problem
I tried to down load the following high priority updates yesterday and it stopped my wireless internet set up working. I ended up doing a system restore to get it back on line but my 02 wireless stick software will not work at all now (even after the restore, uninstalling it then re installing it). It was working perfectly before. Anyone had the same problem or similar? Thanks for any advice. ...

Hekp! IE8 problem after Windows updates installed
Having installed the windows update KB955759, by now when I start the IE browser, an error message popup "IE encountered a problem and need to close" .. The same problem occurred when I tried to start Windows Media Player. The following is the error information. AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702 ModName: aclayers.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.3647 Offset: 0003d3db My machine runs on Windows XP SP2 and IE8. Before I had uninstalled WLM 9.0 and reinstalled the older version WLM 8.5 and checked the box " to run the program with the compatible mode where I ch...

Question about antivirus programs and windows updates.
Hello, I have been using the same antivirus for years, (CA Etrust) I have used this since 2000. I have had very rare issues with this program and never any conflicts with Windows Updates. What I am interested in finding out today is what other antivirus programs play well with Windows Updates? I read all the time in this NG about different AV products causing issues during update. You may be wondering why I am considering changing if I have been happy, well the company has made major changes to the most recent program version and is now sending notices about upgrading ...

windows updates 05-27-10
i ran my updates .when i re started my computer my screen shrunk by three inches on both sides . can any one help. trubles in paradice wrote: > i ran my updates .when i re started my computer my screen shrunk by > three inches on both sides . can any one help. Don't get driver updates next time. Change your screen resolution to whatever monitor you are using's native resolution and refesh frequency. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ...

windows updates for xp
Just wondering with Vista out,then windows 7 ,how much longer will Microsoft give windows updates for us users of xp home edition ? smiles_ny wrote: > Just wondering with Vista out,then windows 7 ,how much longer will > Microsoft give windows updates for us users of xp home edition ? Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found: Search using Google! http://www.google.com/ (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html ) April, 2014. -- Shenan Stanley M...

Windows Updates 03-11-10
do i need to keep all the updates from previous or can i delete the older ones because the new ones are there also timbo wrote: > do i need to keep all the updates from previous or can i delete the older > ones because the new ones are there also Which post would you like answered first ? Which edition of Windows and which Service Pack is it now on ? IF this is Windows XP, then please see this: I want to Save Space and delete unnecessary files after installing a Windows Update patch or Service Pack http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm MowGreen ===========...

Microsoft Windows Updates
I have a Vista system, with 187 security and windows updates, back to 4/25/07. What of all these can I delete, running out of disk space? Same with Office updates. Thanks for your answers. Bob "The Dog Breeders List" <rltutt@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:D0A74A62-ABC1-4AA2-8FF5-FC58A27B82A7@microsoft.com... > I have a Vista system, with 187 security and windows updates, back to > 4/25/07. > > What of all these can I delete, running out of disk space? Same with > Office updates. You'ld be much better off to create more di...

Exchange 2k won't start after downloading "windows updates"
Hi All, I really need help on this. My company Exchange (2K) server won't start after downloading and installing the windows updates yesterday. There is "no signal" on the monitor. I tried pluing it to another monitor and still has the same result. the Processor lights flashes for awhile right after it's turned on and it will stop. Is it because the server can't detect the monitor, so that it can't continue loading? Please help me. Thanks Sherrie Hello Sherrie This is an Exchange newsgroup for Exchange specific issues. It sounds like you are having issues with t...

Windows Updates downloading but not Installing
No Successful Updates in the past 3-4 months. (They download, but don't Install) Windows XP Professional (SP3) with AVG (Anti-Virus) & IE8 *Last few lines of KB971961 from WindowsUpdate.log * Handler : Installing update {302D5D52-D483-4479-A2F9-5ACD0921BB04}.102 Handler Installing with parameters=-q -z -er, sandbox=C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\fbadf956b1f29cd6cc8927434ddbc900. Handler Install completed with 0x8009310d. FATAL: UH: 0x8009310d: InstallOrUninstallThread failed in CUHWindowsPatchHandler::HandleSingleUpdate Handler : WARNING: Install...

How to forbid the Windows Updates
Hello, Windows Server 2003 Following a catastrophe after a Windows Update, I want to forbid any future Windows Update, even the option when we shutdown the server: "Install the updates and shutdown". How can I do that? Thanks Disable the Windows Update service. Start|Run|services.msc For the idiotic 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option. Start|Run|gpedit.msc Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update Do not display 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option in Shut Down Windows dialog box -- Regards, Dave P...

Windows updates on 4/15 have screwed up Vista!
A bunch of updates downloaded on 4/15 and now my laptop takes forever to boot up and my network is gone. I mean just gone! There's no network listed. The diagnostic message is that it's not configured and/or there's no connectivity detected. When I click on the icon for the 'net it says system or something didn't start. Well, it was working before the updates! When I tried to go back to a restore point before the updates, I got a black screen saying a file was missing or corrupt and to put my system disc in. I did and it said it repaired and was back to 4/14 ...