Exchange 2K restore from backup

Hi there

We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant

I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine

Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to the information store

Any ideas????

Cheer

Dave
0
drproplus (1)

Download trial of Virtual PC from www.microsoft.com/virtualpc and
recreate your enviroment in VM. Then restore from older backup.
Also enable Deleted Items Retention on the server.

David Johnson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder
> was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run
> complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current
> full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the
> public information store the restored database failed to mount. It
> stated that the log files were inconsistant.
>
> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox
> store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I
> have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine.
>
> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an
> off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the
> information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the
> deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the
> current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to
> the information store.
>
> Any ideas?????
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

0
kpalagin5422 (293)
5/3/2004 6:43:36 AM
There's no practical way to do this without a recovery server unless you
have a third-party tool like http://www.ontrack.com.  Your recovery server
can be any old PC with enough  free disk space to load the database.
--
Ed Crowley
Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support

"David Johnson" <drproplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was
deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete
backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup.
When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information
store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files
were inconsistant.

> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store
with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended
up restoring the current database which ran fine.

> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an off-line
copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the information store from
2 days ago and then copy the contents of the deleted folder on to the local
hard drive and then restore the current database and copy the contents from
the hard drive back to the information store.

> Any ideas?????
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Ed and Kirill are right on here.

Even if you could successfully restore you backup, if you allow it to
replay the transaction logs into the database, you will just be restoring a
copy of the information store that has the Public Folder and then telling
it to delete it again, as the deletion is stored in the transaction logs.

A separate Disaster Recovery server is your only true solution, and the
trial version of VirtualPC is a great way to do it.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:43:36 +0400
>From: "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru>
>Subject: Re: Exchange 2K restore from backup
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>Download trial of Virtual PC from www.microsoft.com/virtualpc and
>recreate your enviroment in VM. Then restore from older backup.
>Also enable Deleted Items Retention on the server.
>

>David Johnson wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder
>> was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run
>> complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current
>> full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the
>> public information store the restored database failed to mount. It
>> stated that the log files were inconsistant.
>>
>> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox
>> store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I
>> have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine.
>>
>> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an
>> off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the
>> information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the
>> deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the
>> current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to
>> the information store.
>>
>> Any ideas?????
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dave

0
rroddy (682)

Exchange/Outlook Groups not showing in Entourage
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: Exchange I work in a PC environment. Our organization uses Exchange Server and Outlook. I use a Mac and Entourage. My Common Contacts book shows all the email addresses but none of the GROUPS show up. Therefore I am unable to send emails from Entourage to GROUPS within the organization. These groups show up just fine in OUTLOOK. Also in Outlook the EMAIL TYPE for address show as SMTP while GROUPS are EMAIL TYPE: MAPIPDL <br><br>Our IT is pretty swamped with other issues to be able find...

'In maintenance mode' status after Exchange 2003 upgrade to SP2
Hello, I have upgraded all my Exchange 2003 (Enterprise edition) servers from SP1 to SP2. One of the servers display now in the status "In Maintenance Mode". The five other servers are at status "Available". Exchange is correctly running on all of them. It's the first time I see the status "In Maintenance Mode" and I cannot find any information on it. Do you have any idea? http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/03/exchange_in_mai.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP "Sadissa" <Sadissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

NT/ Exchange 5.5 - No PST's
Hello all quick question. We have NT servers with Exchange 5.5 running for internal only and are looking at doing away with PST and converting all users over to running off the mail server itself at the same time we are looking at no longer using a tape backup solution but either that of another drive offsite or some type of removeable hot swap typedrive. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what to backup now that we will no longer be using .pst's and if there is anything special needed for exchange. I have yet to find anything concrete even looking at MS site. ...

Exchange 2003 blocking attachments
Our exchange server is blocking attachments with .mbd .exe .com. Is there a way to allow certain attachments through the system? mike Is it the Exchange Server or the Outlook settings? See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;ES;829982 -- Denis McDowell [MSFT] "mike vincelli" <mvincelli@suhsd.net> wrote in message news:182e01c441ca$3fc1a0f0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Our exchange server is blocking attachments > with .mbd .exe .com. Is there a way to allow certain > attachments through the system? > > mike Denis, The link you posted is for the...

Exchange + IMAP = pain
I have an Exchange Server configured. We are using RPC over HTTPS, so all of our users are able to send mail from anywhere without messing with VPNs and SMTP server settings. Things are good. The issue: We have added a Cisco Unity server. It delivers voicemail to Outlook using IMAP. If a user wants to forward a voice message to a third party it is sent using the SMTP server that is associated with the IMAP account. This poses an obvious problem as we do not have an SMTP server that is accessible from outside of our network. Is there a way to tell Outlook to send all messages using the Exchan...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Microsoft Exchange/Outlook thoughts
We are currently being forced into Microsoft Exchange and have been using Lotus Notes for the past 8 years. Never a problem with Notes EMail, and now I am forced to look for answers to simple questions. Why doesn't Mail get delivered to my current Email address? Answer : Now way to tell. There aren't any tools to allow me to track this. Reboot and call me later. If the problem still exists I am up the creek... When will you allow applications to be delivered to remote users? Answer: Never or check out .net stuff and if you can figure this out let me know. Lotus has delivered th...

MS OL Backup Addin
I'm missing the obvious here, perhaps some good person will set me straight :) Clean installation of Win7 and Office 2007 Restored saved pst files, without overwriting any existing, set default store, all works fine. (No transfer wizards used, only restored data files and nk2 file) Downloaded MS OL Backup add-in, went to configure the backup & see its set to save backup to the original pre win7 location?, so where is this configuration stored? The browse is grayed out so cannot set the new location OK Figured out the obvious :( Simply had to re-select the data files ...

Sync Outlook Notes 2007 with Exchange
I'm running Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2010. I use my notes in Outlook quite a bit, but my OWA or Active Sync on my mobile device doesn't give me a chance to sync notes anymore. I'm sure this is an exchange questions, but wondered if anyone knew of a fix? thanks Jason ...

Domain name issue migrating 5.5 to Exchange 2003
We are prepairing to migrate Echange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. This has come up as an issue: Our domain is cornerstone instead of cornerstone.com Our email address is "firstname.lastname@cornerstonegrp.com" instead of: "firstname.lastname@cornerstone.com" ...

Digital ID name not found error in Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange 2000
WinXP Pro SP2 fully patched (upgraded from Win2K Pro SP4) Office 2003/Outlook 2003 SP2 fully patched I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the first time for digital signature and encrypted email. When I try to send email with my digital signature I get the error: Your Digital ID name can not be found by the underlying security system I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including system reboots after removal) with no change. I went to thawte.com and got a freemail cert issued but it gives the same error message when I try to use ...

Disclaimers and Exchange 2003
Is there a way to add a disclaimer message to the bottom of all outgoing emails. Im using Exchange 2003. I know there are 3rd party tools, but you'd think it would be a feature built into EX2003. My clients use Outlook XP to send/receive emails. I suppose I could make it part of their signatures, but a user could delete or modify this setting. Download the trial version of GFI Mail Essentials which allows one disclaimer while unregistered, and continues to work when the trail period is over. www.gfi.com/me P.S. If they're fed-up with SPAM this product will make them ...

POP3 collection from mailboxes on Exchange 2000
Hi We're running SBS 2000 and I want to allow remote users to download their mail from the Exchange server using POP3. As a test, I've telnetted to the host's port 110 but can only obtain mail for the administrator's account and none of the users. The message is simply a security-related message, the exact text of which I can't recall. I have tried it on two Exchange 2000 servers, with the same results. We've also done the same test on an NT server running Exchange 5.5 and that allows us to collect from other users' mailboxes without any difficulty. It just se...

Admin Problem from 5.5 to 2k3 Exchange
We just migrated all of our email boxes to Exchange 2k3 from Exchange 5.5. Now our administrators can't look at any of the users outlook information unless they are given the rights from that users. Before the administrators could look at the persons information and remove or help the people with problems and questions if need be. How can our Administrators gain access to these exchange boxes again? There are several articles out there on this. In E2K3, domain admins and enterprise admins are explicitly denied this access. There are work arounds. try this: http://www.winnetma...

Exchange 2003 pop3 connector events 1036, 1023 and 1019
Since we installed SBS 2003 in November, 2003, we have had some problems with email not being able to be sent or received. If we check the event log, we see errors for every pop3 email account every 15 minutes when the Exchange server goes to check for new messages. We can fix this by running the Connect to Internet Wizard (not making any changes to the settings, just running the wizard) and restarting the server. When the server boots, everyone will receive the all the email they missed when the server was down. Here are examples from the event log: Event ID 1036 An error occurred during ...

failed recipient, trying to delete address exchange 2003
I get this error when trying to delete an invalid email for a recipient in Exchange. I saw no postings for this error on the net! "this is the home email-address for this recipient, it cannot be removed." ID # c10312e8. I have another address that I have made primary. But still cannot delete this one. Try manually updating the Recipient Update Service on ESM or wait for replication to occur. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2007 Microsoft Certified Partner "media" <timisme@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1161757808.425153.274250@f16g2000cwb.g...

task pool in outlook/exchange
Is it possible to have a shared "task pool" where there a bunch of tasks assigned to no one, but which people take or a manager assigns? We are using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, but can upgrade if this feature exists in 2007. Thanks, Dino it is not a feature in outlook or exchange 2007. you could use a public folder or a SharePoint list for this. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: da...

VSS and Snapshots/Clones log purging and mixing backup types
I would really appreciate if anyone could answer the following questions for me as we are looking into the use of iSCSI block storage and snapshot technology: 1. Is a snapshot capable of being rolled forward in the event of a DB failure/corruption to provide a no-loss restore in the event of DB corruption? 2. Can a snapshot be mounted into an RSG? 3. Can agent based conventional backups be mixed with VSS backups? 4. If snapshotting is used how are log files purged? 5. As snapshots are deltas are backed up clones required in order to protect from disk failures? The original data needs to b...

Exchange Recovery for test environment
Hi, I plan to build an Exchange 2000 test lab which replicas our current production environment. The current production environment has Windows 2000 Advanced Server Active Directory and a Windows 2000 Advanced member server running Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition. What is the process of duplicating the current production environment and implement to the test lab for restoring 6 months old DB from backup tapes? Thanks, Kyle here you go: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/MRFME2KS. mspx "Kyle" <kylenguyen@prontomail.com> wrote in message ...

Restore Accounts Memo?
With Money 2006, I have restored my backups and found that this new file does not have my carefully annotated "Memo" field. Very disappointing. So is this just the way it is, or can I change a setting to include the memo field as part of the backup? I have checked the horrible help documentation with no answers. Its hard to beleive that MS would include a backup function and not include this important user input - on the other hand MS does do odd things now and then :) Thanks, Steve In microsoft.public.money, fogdrip wrote: >With Money 2006, I have restored my backup...

Disabled Exchange 2K3 accounts starting to accept new emails #2
Hello, whenever I would disable a user account in Exchange 2003, it would NDR any new email, unless there was a forwarding address in the delivery options tab, which is how I wanted it to be. However, since applying the security updates for February, the disabled accounts have begun accepting new mail. Does anyone have any ideas why? Feb. updates applied: KB890830 KB931978 KB926436 KB924667 KB928843 KB928090 KB918118 KB931836 Hi, you are right, and I think that Microsoft want it to be that way from the beginning. Read this articles http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319047 http://support.m...

Restore Backup
Had to reinstall Money 2000 due to computer problems. Went through restore backup file process but none of my accounts are there when I look for them. Also, my password is never requested. What am I doing wrong? How do I keep from having to spend hours re-entering all my information? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...BJ When you tried restoring the backup immediately after making it, your data showed up then, I'm assuming.. Double-click sample.mny in the Microsoft Money folder and some bogus data should appear. Close Money Copy your .mbf Money backup file to somewhere on...

Outlook error 0x8004011D while trying to connect with Exchange Acc
Help! I purchased Office 2007 Small Business. I work with an office Exchange account. My pop account works fine. I can not connect to the Exchange server. Message 0x8004011D keeps coming up -- Cheryl Which version of Exchange are you trying to connect to? Is this Exchange server located on your own network or are you trying to access it remotely? The error usually is caused by having DNS issues with trying to resolve the location of the Exchange server. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FA...

Exchange 2007 lets phishing emails in via Safe Lists?
I've tried to post this a few times, but something in must be triggering a filter software as it hasn't shown up yet after 12 hrs and the web post shows up there but not in the NNTP. Here goes again, with a few more potential keywords changed: In Exchange 2007 with safe-list aggregation enabled, it appears that certain phishing messages get through we/of any phishing score. The culprit is that the recipient has the address in the safe-senders list (@phishingSite.com, for example). The user will put that there so that OL loads the images -- but a few phishing messages have now...

Outlook remembers old Exchange addresses
Hi, We just changed our Exchange box with a move from 2003-2007. However, when we try to send email from outlook, it remembers the old names! Any way to change that? Thanks Hi ecb, what do you mean with "remember"? Maybe you mean the autocomplete function? http://www.ingressor.com/autocompletetips.htm Maybe it helps. -- Oliver Vukovics Share your Outlook PST files without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Synchronisation for Outlook and Exchange: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware.com "ecb" <e.bellamy@fast247.biz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1183457563.08...