Exchange 2K restore from backup

Hi there

We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant

I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine

Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to the information store

Any ideas????

Cheer

Dave
0
drproplus (1)

Download trial of Virtual PC from www.microsoft.com/virtualpc and
recreate your enviroment in VM. Then restore from older backup.
Also enable Deleted Items Retention on the server.

David Johnson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder
> was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run
> complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current
> full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the
> public information store the restored database failed to mount. It
> stated that the log files were inconsistant.
>
> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox
> store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I
> have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine.
>
> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an
> off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the
> information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the
> deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the
> current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to
> the information store.
>
> Any ideas?????
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

0
kpalagin5422 (293)
5/3/2004 6:43:36 AM
There's no practical way to do this without a recovery server unless you
have a third-party tool like http://www.ontrack.com.  Your recovery server
can be any old PC with enough  free disk space to load the database.
--
Ed Crowley
Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support

"David Johnson" <drproplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was
deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete
backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup.
When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information
store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files
were inconsistant.

> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store
with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended
up restoring the current database which ran fine.

> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an off-line
copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the information store from
2 days ago and then copy the contents of the deleted folder on to the local
hard drive and then restore the current database and copy the contents from
the hard drive back to the information store.

> Any ideas?????
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Ed and Kirill are right on here.

Even if you could successfully restore you backup, if you allow it to
replay the transaction logs into the database, you will just be restoring a
copy of the information store that has the Public Folder and then telling
it to delete it again, as the deletion is stored in the transaction logs.

A separate Disaster Recovery server is your only true solution, and the
trial version of VirtualPC is a great way to do it.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:43:36 +0400
>From: "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru>
>Subject: Re: Exchange 2K restore from backup
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>Download trial of Virtual PC from www.microsoft.com/virtualpc and
>recreate your enviroment in VM. Then restore from older backup.
>Also enable Deleted Items Retention on the server.
>

>David Johnson wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder
>> was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run
>> complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current
>> full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the
>> public information store the restored database failed to mount. It
>> stated that the log files were inconsistant.
>>
>> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox
>> store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I
>> have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine.
>>
>> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an
>> off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the
>> information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the
>> deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the
>> current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to
>> the information store.
>>
>> Any ideas?????
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dave

0
rroddy (682)

problem with multiple SMTP domains in Exchange Server 2003
Hi there I have added a second SMTP domain to the Email Addresses (Policy) as follows: Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email Addresses (Policy) > New ... > SMTP Address > @xyz.com > (checked) This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery > to this address > Apply. When I do so, I no longer receive external emails on the first SMTP domain (@abc.com). Is this related to relay settings, or perhaps something else? Best regards Loane ...

Exchange delegation using group doesn't work?
Hi, I am running Exch 2k3 SP1 in Windows SBS 2003. I tried to delegate Exch to user. What I did: I created a group called: Junior Admins I delegate at the Exchange top level the Junior Admins group to be Exch Full Admin. I assigned user: Sam to Junior Admins I use AdminPak.msi for Sam to control Exchange from her PC. Sam can get ESE on her PC (mmc), but can't open the server folder due the rights. I've also assigned Sam in the local administrator of that workstation. Things work if I assign Sam directly in the Delegation Control from ESE. How can I delegate control via group? ...

User can not acces from home the EXchange server
Currently we allow our users to access there email VIA the web using http:yayaya.com/exchange. however one of my user's is unable to log in this way. On-site using outlook he has no problem but when he try's entering his login name and password via the web he gets a message saying username and password are incorrect. For some reason it will not validate his information. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks ...

Exchange 2003 installed SP2 now IMF is not working.
I had Exchange 2003 SP1 and installed the IMF. I heard that SP2 has the IMF bulit-in. During the SP2 install it said I had to uninstalled the old IMF, which I did. I then installed Exchange 2003 SP2, I see the tabs in the "System Manager", Global Settings, "Message Delivery" But no IMF portion under the SMTP. I tried to reinstalled the IMF but still it doesn't show up under the SMTP protocals. What am I doing wrong? Within system manager, go to protocols|smtp and select Properties, the Advanced button and then the edit button. Then select the checkbox for en...

2003 recipient policy for exchange 5.5
Can a recipient policy created on 2003 to purge mail in the deleted items folder also be used for exchange 5.5 in the same site? John Stimpson On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:16:19 -0500, "John Stimpson" <johnstimpson@tupperware.com> wrote: >Can a recipient policy created on 2003 to purge mail in the deleted items >folder also be used for exchange 5.5 in the same site? > >John Stimpson > I would say not. There is the Mailbox Manager feature in 5.5. Are you able to use that or did you just want something with a single interface? ...

Help: message "Requesting data from Exchange Server"
Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange 2000. Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? "Kenny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up >message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we >try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange >2000. > >Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? Depends to a greater or lesser extent ...

Outlook 2003 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup uninstall problem
Hello techie nerds out there Help! I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only run this utility on one desktop? Running windows XP pro and Outlook 2002 The programme does not show up in the Add/Remove programme window in the Control Panel. Many, many thanks Paul Paul Allen <ict@wandsworthvb.org.uk> wrote: > I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on > another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only > run this utility on one desktop? Doesn't seem to be the case here. ...

Removing an exchange server member
I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end hard disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD. There are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system manager. But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul To my best knowledge, it adsiedit. "Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B352B981-F5B7-4527-8A48-04E3976C99D9@microsoft.c...

Can not start MS exchange MTA stack Event ID120
Source : MSExchangeMTA categories: Configuration Event ID: 120 Unable to initailize due to missing or dammaged configuration files the ASN.1 template file 14 is either missing or corrupt. Reload a new copy from Installed CD. What does it mean? It mean my install cd rom is dammage ,right? Any one can tell me. thanks yim_cm@hotmail.com (Thana) wrote: >Source : MSExchangeMTA >categories: Configuration >Event ID: 120 > Unable to initailize due to missing or dammaged configuration files >the ASN.1 template file 14 is either missing or corrupt. Reload a new >copy from I...

Exchange GAL to Local COntacts Folder Export Script

Exchange 2000 problems
Since the HD failed I have been trying to put my domain backup. The PDC, W2k, had IIS and Exchange on it. I have reloaded W2k with SP's and installed Exchange 2000. None of my virtural stores Protocols are running and when I open the properties of each the "Start, Stop, Pause" choices are grayed out. The First Storage Group/Mailbox Store is also down. When I try to Mount it I get this error: "An internal processing error has occured. Try restarting the Exchange System Manager or the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service or both." ID c1041724 Help...I'm...

Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup
Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup. Windows 2000 replaced by Windows XP Home on C:\Drive. D:\Drive contains data and Backup only. PC is on a wired Home Network . I recently upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Home. I wiped the C: Drive clean (formatted) and did a "Fresh" install of Windows XP Home. I reinstalled Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe, then tried to restore my "old" 2005 Money Backup file (My Money Backup.mbf) from both D: Drive and USB thumbdrive. The Restore shows a default location ..."C:\Program Files \My Money.mny&quo...

offline defrag exchange 2k3
I need to perform an offline defrag. in order to do this I understand that I need at least the same amount available space available as the database. Does this mean the size or the priv.edb only? So if the priv.edb is 58G I need the same amount of free space available on that drive. If I do not have the available amount of space then how do you go about performing a defragmentation? Thanks, Mark See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/ESEUtil/a9f60c6f-b181-481f-a492-9bcd21c8e98a.mspx?mfr=true Note that there's generally no need to run offline defrags...

finding all addresses in an exchange system
Being relatively new to Exchange and Outlook, I'm looking for the best way to implement a situation where there is a generic email account that the outside world sends to that a number of people need to monitor. Right now what I have done is set up an email enabled Public Folder and simply give permissions to that folder to the appropriate people. I also hide that address so it doesn't display in the GAL, since there is no reason for internal folks to write to that address. However, one problem I see with this scenario is I can't find an effective way to look at all email addres...

Exchange SVC Pack 1
DO NOT INSTALL. It crashed my server and caused the stores to unload and crash frequently. Now Microsoft want to sell me a hotfix. It was working b4 the svc pack upgrade so everyone beware!! Er, no, that's not the case at all. Exchange 2003 SP1 works perfectly fine for a large number of customers. If you, as a Microsoft customer have had an issue with the SP that requires a service pack, identified by Microsoft, then you will not be required to pay for it. If you have a KB that says you are to call MS for the fix then you may be required to give details but you won't be char...

Exchange 2003 ADC problems
Hi, I have the following situation.... We have multiple Exchange 5.5 sites being migrated to one Exchange 2K3 organisation (called Localmail). The first server in the 2K3 org (which had the CA Config agreement) and also the connection agreement to the EX5.5 server (in Localmail) has died and there is no suitable backup for recovery. I need to remove the connections from this dead server. I cannot remove the CA Config agreement - there is no delete option for this connection. If I try to modify the Config CA connection to run on another Exchange 2003 box in the Localmail org I get the c103a...

Exchange/POP3 snafu
We have recently upgraded some clients from Outlook 2000/2002 to 2003. We use Exchange server(2000) for intranet email and have an ISP that hosts our internet (POP3) email. I have configured both accounts (exchange and POP3) in Outlook 2003 but when I try to send an email to both exchange and POP3 recipients one will go and the other will be rejected. For example if the POP3 account is set as default the POP3 email will send but the exchange email will not. The error is: Diagnostic-code: smtp; 5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up (domainname).local (MX) T...

New Exchange Routing Group in child domain / site
I have just finished installing a child domain (leaf node) and installing a exchange server for that new domain. First problem I had was that when my email was coming in via the main domain it was sending some of the public folder emails over to the sub domain (witch I had not configured for public folders) So I placed each domain in its own routing group, created a routing connect (both ways) pointing at each other as well as SMTP Connectors with * and cost of 1 (all default settings in each location / routing group. These server will be split via a T1 and both will receive email (ma...

Exchange alias
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I there, <br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;My primary email is on an exchange server. I also manage a mailing list. I am receiving list responses on my primary account. However, I want my replies to be from my list account name. If I set up a list account and use my primary as a send I set up the recieve everything is fine except I get 2 of each of my primary emails. If I leave the receive blank the send fails. Any ideas ? ...

Restoring auto-archive properties
I have set up my archive folders to archive each sub-folder of my inbox separately. I have since found this too convoluted to search for items and i wish to restore the default settings so that, my inbox and its subfolders now appear as a subfolder of the Archive folders drop down. How can i do this without losing any of my previous data/e-mails? Simply change the settings and move over any item that you want to be somewhere else now. If this results in multiple empty pst-file, then you can disconnect those via; File-> Data File Management... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MV...

Problems with nt-backup
I have a win2003 sbs server with exchange included. I want to backup the exchange information store with NTbackup. Now this isnt instantly a problem because a full-backup works just great. But now i want to make a differential backup every day based on that full-backup. But here it goes bad.. In the backup log there's is a error in the backup log -> "Error: SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group is no valid drive or you don't have no acces" ( i translated it from dutch) But the same path is used for the full - backup and this goes very well. The backu...

Missing Exchange Server in Console
? I have an exchange site with 2 servers. 1 server has all the services shut down The 2nd server is up, working, and people recieve mail just fine. The 2nd server does not show up in the list of servers to be managed. What can I do to fix this? Thanks -Tom On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:51:44 -0400, "edev" <edev@siscom.net> wrote: >? > >I have an exchange site with 2 servers. >1 server has all the services shut down >The 2nd server is up, working, and people recieve mail just fine. > >The 2nd server does not show up in the list of servers to be managed. &g...

Exchange 5.5+Firewall+OWA on server that it is on the DMZ
Hi I have Exchange 5.5 server in my lan. On the DMZ I have mail relay. I have firewall that. How can I install OWA on the server that in the DMZ and Whitch ports should I open in the Firewall? Than'x S ugh. Dont install OWA in the DMZ. On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:42:59 +0200, "Shay Hanya" <shay@telecode.co.il> wrote: >Hi > >I have Exchange 5.5 server in my lan. >On the DMZ I have mail relay. >I have firewall that. > >How can I install OWA on the server that in the DMZ and Whitch ports should >I open in the Firewall? > >Than'x >S &...

backup and logs
I am reading MS exchange server 2003 unleashed and implementing and managing MS exchange server 2003. Backing up Exchange is still unclear to me. Perhaps I didn't get it right, but it looks like it is not fully explained. 3 servers are running under windows 2003 server. One exchange server 2003 is installed. 4 databases have been created into the only and one first storage group. The total size of all databases, including the public folder database, is 30GB. Between 80 and 100 users have a mailbox enabled account. Please don't ask my why they need to keep all their emails, sev...

Exchange restore issue
Hi, We have an Exchange 2003 server that was previously being backed up via brick level with Arc Serve. Now it is being backed up with Veritas 10D. It was no longer being brick leveled just the IS. I have a user that deleted some recent folders out of her inbox and wanted them restored. I went through the process defined by veritas to complete the IS restore to the RSG. The restore shows complete but failed but there is a RSG MDBDATA directory with the priv.edb and stm files. I tired the run the eseutil /cc on the restore.env and that failed. Any idea's on how I can restore ...