Exchange 2K restore from backup

Hi there

We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant

I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine

Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to the information store

Any ideas????

Cheer

Dave
0
drproplus (1)

Download trial of Virtual PC from www.microsoft.com/virtualpc and
recreate your enviroment in VM. Then restore from older backup.
Also enable Deleted Items Retention on the server.

David Johnson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder
> was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run
> complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current
> full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the
> public information store the restored database failed to mount. It
> stated that the log files were inconsistant.
>
> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox
> store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I
> have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine.
>
> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an
> off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the
> information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the
> deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the
> current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to
> the information store.
>
> Any ideas?????
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

0
kpalagin5422 (293)
5/3/2004 6:43:36 AM
There's no practical way to do this without a recovery server unless you
have a third-party tool like http://www.ontrack.com.  Your recovery server
can be any old PC with enough  free disk space to load the database.
--
Ed Crowley
Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support

"David Johnson" <drproplus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was
deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete
backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup.
When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information
store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files
were inconsistant.

> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store
with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended
up restoring the current database which ran fine.

> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an off-line
copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the information store from
2 days ago and then copy the contents of the deleted folder on to the local
hard drive and then restore the current database and copy the contents from
the hard drive back to the information store.

> Any ideas?????
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Ed and Kirill are right on here.

Even if you could successfully restore you backup, if you allow it to
replay the transaction logs into the database, you will just be restoring a
copy of the information store that has the Public Folder and then telling
it to delete it again, as the deletion is stored in the transaction logs.

A separate Disaster Recovery server is your only true solution, and the
trial version of VirtualPC is a great way to do it.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:43:36 +0400
>From: "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru>
>Subject: Re: Exchange 2K restore from backup
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>Download trial of Virtual PC from www.microsoft.com/virtualpc and
>recreate your enviroment in VM. Then restore from older backup.
>Also enable Deleted Items Retention on the server.
>

>David Johnson wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder
>> was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run
>> complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current
>> full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the
>> public information store the restored database failed to mount. It
>> stated that the log files were inconsistant.
>>
>> I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox
>> store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I
>> have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine.
>>
>> Being a small company we do not have the resources to set up an
>> off-line copy of the server. All we want to do is restore the
>> information store from 2 days ago and then copy the contents of the
>> deleted folder on to the local hard drive and then restore the
>> current database and copy the contents from the hard drive back to
>> the information store.
>>
>> Any ideas?????
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dave

0
rroddy (682)

Exchange size limit bug???
Hi, I'm trying to send an email to an internal user that is 16MB in size and configure Exchange 2003 SP1 to allow it. Each time I try and send the email I receive the following undeliverable; "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: something The following recipient(s) could not be reached: something@something.com on 29/11/2005 11:54 This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again. ...

Exchange 2003 SP1 Install Error?
Hello, While trying to install SP1 on our Exchange servers, we get the following message: "Multiple components cannot be assigned the requested action(s) because: - The local domain configuration is not up-to-date. You must run setup with the "/DomainPrep" switch within this domain. If you have already done this with the current version of setup, then you must wait for replication to complete. Consult your documentation for details." We've been running Win2k3 with Exchange 2k3 for about 3 months now.. And I've gone through KB274737 and verified that /DomainP...

Sending from Multiple Accounts in Outlook 2K
In our office we run an internal exchange server, but also want to connect to an externally hosted email provider to occassionally send and receive email. In Outlook XP we can do this no problem. But on our older machines that only have Outlook 2K we can only receive email from the external provider, not send even though all the settings are the same as they are in Outlook XP. Is there a way to enable this option? Simply typing in the email address in the from field returns the following message: You do not have the permissions to send the message on behalf of the specified user. ch...

Exchange Contacts list
I maintain the contact info for my old Air Force Pilot Training group. I would like to send that info to a couple other pilots so they can have a backup listing. They use Outlook also. What would be the best way to do that? I've tried going into Contacts and choosing import/export but the export options don't include the basic format that Outlook uses. Mail merge seems to be for sending mass mailings. There may be an easier way than this, but . . . Create a PST file (if using 2007, make sure the PST file is 2000 compatible), Copy the contacts folder to the PST file, Emai...

Multiple Domain Names on Outlook using the Exchange Server
Our company uses Outlook 2000 on exchange servers and all mail leaves with an envelope From address of @bear.com. I have a separate domain, user@maxrecovery.co.uk that i'd like to use on outgoing mails, so that all my recipients will see on the From: address, user@maxrecovery.co.uk and not user@bear.com and also not From: user@bear.com on behalf of user(Exchange) [user@maxrecovery.co.uk]. Is this possible? Also, Is it possible for me to receive mail if either user@bear.com or user@maxrecovery.co.uk is used? Thanks. ...

cannot enter transaction after restore
After system restore (XP) Money is accessable but won't let me enter new transactions. Tried reinstalling (without uninstalling), but it does not help. I got Money 2003 Deluxe download. Saved the self- extracting installation file. It seems to work, but it says to re-download free from the web next time. WHERE on the web??? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the original downloaded self-extracting file. Still cannot enter new transactions. I am finding that when I do a system restore or even a restore from a cloned backup, there are things that may not work properl...

TechNet Support WebCast: An overview of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Sorry for the large cross-post. Just wanted to make sure any interested parties were aware of this "SP1 Overview" webcast set for tomorrow: TechNet Support WebCast: An overview of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Wednesday, June 16, 2004: 10:00 AM Pacific time (Greenwich mean time - 7 hours) This Support WebCast session introduces Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1). It talks about the various changes that are included in SP1 and the benefits of installing SP1. The session also briefly introduces some of the Web release tools that will be released at th...

Restore MOSS Default.aspx Page
I have a MOSS environment that consists of - WFE Server - DB Server There is only one farm on this installation. Recovery MOSS Server that host MOSS and SQL. This is backed up by DPM 2007. Backs work fine. When it comes to restores. The following happens... - single items (documents, files, etc.) all restore without a problem - restore default.aspx - fails with the following: The recovery jobs for SharePoint Farm Sharepoint Farm\SP-DB \SharePoint_Config_New that started at Friday, January 08, 2010 1:38:25 PM, with the destination of SP-DB.domain.com, have completed. Mos...

Requesting Data from Exchange server.....runs constantly
Within minutes of starting Outlook, it starts to request data from the Exchange server. Other than cancelling the request, which allows me to use Outlook for another 5 minutes before it pops up again, what is it trying to do and why does it never end? I have left it running for hours and there is no data received. Outlook 2002? Make sure Instant Messaging is *not* enabled (Tools/Options/Other). SueM >-----Original Message----- >Within minutes of starting Outlook, it starts to request >data from the Exchange server. Other than cancelling the >request, which allows me to u...

Multiple Exchange Servers?
I am looking for someone that has multiple Exchange 2000 servers set up in the same domain. We have added another server, now have a Master-Member server relationship between the two. I have questions about how Outlook Web Access reacts to this. When users that have their mailboxes log on, they have to log on twice to get through. Once to the Master mailserver then to the Member. Does anyone out there have this problem/situation and be willing to discuss your setup? Jim D. Promenix What do you mean by 'Master-Member'? Sounds like you mean a Front-End / Back-End topology. ...

can't receive mail on second exchange server
We have two Exchange servers. One is Exchange 2003 SP1, and we installed Exchange 2003 with sp1 followed by sp2 installation on the other server. The new mailbox created on the second Exchange can't receive mail. Can send, but can't receive. Gets the following error on Send/Receive: Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found. and sync error 14:38:00 Synchronizer Version 11.0.6352 14:38:00 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Proben' 14:38:00 Synchronizing Hierarchy 14:38:00 Done 14:38:00 Microsoft Exchange ...

Administering E-mail Rules for Microsoft Exchange 5.5
I am looking for a way to control the usage of Rules by my users. Is there any way I can customize the Rules Wizard to only show certain options to the user. Specifically, I wish to disallow auto-forwarding of mail (internally and externally). The only rules I believe are required are; Moving mail to another folder Deleting mail Running scripts on mail There seems to be no way under Exchange5.5 to configure this using GPOs or indeed any other method. I can't believe I'm the only person who'd like to do this. Any ideas? Cheers Dave ...

Using Exchange 2007 for a ping address
Hi, Id like to have a pingback email address on my Exchange server to use for external testing puposes. In that, i email ping@stoof.co.uk, and I get an automated reply. I want to do this solely in Exchange and have it resident on the server - not use an Outlook rule. Can this be easily implemented. -- Gavin. MCSE, MCITP, MSTS  ACSP 10.5 http://www.stoof.co.uk http://www.twitter.com/gavin_wilby "Gavin" <gavinREMOVE@stoof.co.uk> wrote in message news:heurir$a69$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Hi, > > Id like to have a pingback email addres...

Blackberry and Exchange 2003
Hi, I have only 4 users that have blackberries. Can I install the blackberry server software on Exchange 2003 server? Is it supported? Any performance or security problems ? I'm using also ISA Server 2006 for OWA, RPC/HTTPS publishing. Can I use ISA for it or should I open ports directly to Exchange server? Thanks, Haim Beyhan Hi, Use a PC for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server - the more powerful the better. Keep it seperate (it needs to login with a new account, call it "BESAdmin") "Haim Beyhan" <haimb@enigma.com> wrote in message news:O$NVDAVDHHA....

set up Treo 700W on exchange
Hey I have been tasked with setting up a new Treo 700W to work with out e2k3 server. We currently have a BES which gets all Outlook data to our fleet of Blackberries but I though there was a similar option available for the Treo through the Mobile Services under Global settings in Exchanges. Verizon says I need to leave my PC on running their software to achieve full Outlook sync. This seems to be an old fashioned idea considering I have a laptop that I take with me everywhere. How do I set up wireless sync in exchange? http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/mobile/deploy/m...

Account from 2nd Exchange server not receiving email
I had exchange server mail1.domain.org. Everything has been working fine. I just installed a 2nd exchange server mail2.domain.org. What do I need to do so that accounts created on mail2 as user2@domain.org can receive emails from everywhere just like users from mail1 created as user1@domain.org have been receiving? Thanks. JKM <JKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had exchange server mail1.domain.org. Everything has been working fine. I >just installed a 2nd exchange server mail2.domain.org. What do I need to do >so that accounts created on mail2 as user2@domain.org ...

Backup Issue
I am currently running Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition on a Window Server 2003 box. Currently my postoffice database is 16GB. I am trying to backup my mailboxes using the Microsoft Exmerge util. Currently, when I run the Exmerge util it fails once the .pst file gets bigger then 2GB in size. Can anyone suggest a better way to backup a larger postoffice on a daily basis? Thanks in advance, - Michael Sure, you can backup to a Network Share or better yet a Removable Device such Iomega USB 2.0 250GB External Drives if you do not have a Tape Backup Device. For the money and performance, ...

Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator program in windows 2003
Does anyone know how I go about installing Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator program on Windows 2003? Articles talk about using this and I think I may need to use this to remove the last 5.5 server in my org as the server is now defunct (in fact melted) I cannot get any version of 5.5 to install on the 2003 server ???? I am runnign setup.exe on the Exchange 5.5 CD?? jON On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:15:12 +0100, "Jon Rowlan" <jon.rowlan@sads.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how I go about installing Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator >program on Windows 2003? > >Art...

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000 upgrade and x.400 connector
I'm about to run an in-place upgrade of Exchange 5.5 Enterprise Server to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server, and would like to clean up/streamline the Exchange 5.5 configuration/stores before starting the in-place upgrade. I have already uninstalled the CCMAIL and MSMAIL connectors on my production 5.5 server, and have the option of also un-installing the X.400 connector. Are there any implications of doing this? Does Exchange 2000 Server require the X.400 connector for routing? I'm running single site, single server. Thanks in advance for your help. -Hung Tran You can go ahead &am...

Exchange queue
Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003: Some of the mail that allready has been delivered remains in the C:\program Files\Exchange\Mailroot\vsi 1\queue directory and is not visible in the Exchange System Manager queue. When I restart the Exchange server it suddenly decides to empty the queue and redeliver those mails! Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?? thanx anyone? "Talisman" wrote: > Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003: Some of the mail that allready has > been delivered remains in the C:\program Files\Exchange\Mailroot\vsi 1\queue > directory and i...

Restore leading zero
I imported an excel spreadsheet with 10 digit ID numbers into Access, and it dropped all of the leading zeros in the ID number field. I changed the field type to text instead of numeric, but the zeros are gone. How can I replace those zeros without having to type them all in by hand? All of the ID numbers are 10 digits, some have 2 leading zeros, some 1, and some none. Or better yet is there simply a way to import the data again without losing the zeros? Thanks for your help. On Oct 23, 12:36 pm, Xerxov <schroder....@gmail.com> wrote: > I imported an excel spreadsheet with 10 d...

Pb sending from Corporte Exchange to CRM Exchange
Hello, I am currently doing some final tests on my prod platform which has its dedicated exchange server. Whenever I try sending emails from our corporate Exchange (which is on the same domain as the CRM Exchange) messages are received in the correct queue but the Body part is empty (subject is ok). I am doing it from Outlook (so the profile matching our corporate Exchange). Now if I send again with Outlook but using an external email account (let say yahoo) then message is received fine in the CRM... Any idea? Thanks Eric Eric, The CRM Router does not support the scenario you desc...

Loosing contact with Exchange Server.
Hi. I have a user that is loosing the connection to our exchange server while he is connected to the local network. He is running Outlook2003 with rpc over https as connection methode to our Exchange2003 server. The internet connection is ok and no other network problems. Any idea what the problem is? Dag N ...

Exchange Tool v.2
I installed the new version of the tool and now I get "Invalid Server. Please make sure you have entered a valid server name." when trying to run msextemzdfg.exe, I am copy and pasting from ADSIEDIT. And ideas? On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:27:15 -0800, BM <BM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I installed the new version of the tool and now I get "Invalid Server. >Please make sure you have entered a valid server name." when trying to run >msextemzdfg.exe, I am copy and pasting from ADSIEDIT. >And ideas? Which tool is this? Yeah, they changed it. You d...

Windows 2003 sp1 exchange 2003
I have a exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 on clients running windows xp. Everything works fine. I have a client machine that is running windows 2003 and have outlook install. Before windows 2003 sp1 got released, outlook worked fine. After applying windows 2003 sp1, Outlook stopped working. it complains about Exchange server not being available. After doing some search on MS site, there is a KB article that talks about running security wizard configuration to roll back the security setting. However, this cannot be done because SWC does not recognize the previous settings. Also windows firewa...