Exchange 2007 - SMTP Connector Resiliency/Load Balancing Configura

I have an Exchange 2007 server, and the SMTP Send Connector points to one of
our two SmartHosts.  I'm looking for a solution that provides resilency with
the second SmartHost if the first fails for whatever reason.

When looking at the Send Connector properties, I can add additional
SmartHosts on the Network tab.

To provide resiliency, is it as simple as adding the second SmartHost?
Therefore, email will route to the available SmartHost.

Thanks

Ron

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:34:49 -0700, GoTrojans
<GoTrojans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an Exchange 2007 server, and the SMTP Send Connector points to one of
>our two SmartHosts.  I'm looking for a solution that provides resilency with
>the second SmartHost if the first fails for whatever reason.
>
>When looking at the Send Connector properties, I can add additional
>SmartHosts on the Network tab.
>
>To provide resiliency, is it as simple as adding the second SmartHost?

Depends on your definition of "resiliency", I'd guess.

>Therefore, email will route to the available SmartHost.

Sure. As long as they both aren't on the same network, the same
switch, the same ISP circuit, etc.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
4/1/2010 1:26:36 AM
Yes.  Both smarthosts are in two different physical locations and different
network subnet's.

Thanks

Ron

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:34:49 -0700, GoTrojans
> <GoTrojans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have an Exchange 2007 server, and the SMTP Send Connector points to one of
> >our two SmartHosts.  I'm looking for a solution that provides resilency with
> >the second SmartHost if the first fails for whatever reason.
> >
> >When looking at the Send Connector properties, I can add additional
> >SmartHosts on the Network tab.
> >
> >To provide resiliency, is it as simple as adding the second SmartHost?
>
> Depends on your definition of "resiliency", I'd guess.
>
> >Therefore, email will route to the available SmartHost.
>
> Sure. As long as they both aren't on the same network, the same
> switch, the same ISP circuit, etc.
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> .

This is what I have done and it does work well!  Way to go MS!

"GoTrojans" wrote:

> Yes.  Both smarthosts are in two different physical locations and different
> network subnet's.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ron
>
> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:34:49 -0700, GoTrojans
> > <GoTrojans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have an Exchange 2007 server, and the SMTP Send Connector points to one of
> > >our two SmartHosts.  I'm looking for a solution that provides resilency with
> > >the second SmartHost if the first fails for whatever reason.
> > >
> > >When looking at the Send Connector properties, I can add additional
> > >SmartHosts on the Network tab.
> > >
> > >To provide resiliency, is it as simple as adding the second SmartHost?
> >
> > Depends on your definition of "resiliency", I'd guess.
> >
> > >Therefore, email will route to the available SmartHost.
> >
> > Sure. As long as they both aren't on the same network, the same
> > switch, the same ISP circuit, etc.
> > ---
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > .

Outlook will not login to Exchange 2k server
I'm running Outlook 2002 on a WinXP box, new build. The user is on a roaming profile and can log into their Exchange email from just about any other box. On the box in question, after logging into the domain successfully and running Outlook, Outlook keeps on asking for her login information again and says that it is invalid. The Exchange 2k server was an upgrade from Exchange 5.5 last April so I don't know if the Outlook is for some reason looking for the old Exchange 5.5 server somehow, but her profile works on other boxes. Any ideas? Thanks! Ken Wheeler kwheeler@netlink...

Monitoring Users Mailboxes
As Admin, I have been asked to monitor a users mailbox. Our network consists of 5 domains (has 5 mailservers, with my main server retrieving the mail from our ISP and then distributing it to the other servers ). This user is in a different domain than I. My Outlook 2000 can't access the mailbox. I gave myself Admin rights to this persons mailbox. I have tried many ways to open the mailbox. I have logged onto the other domain from my PC and tried to configure Outlook to connect to the other domain mailserver but it always says it can't open the information store or there is...

Very strange outgoing SMTP issue / delays
Hello all -- Exchange 2003 Standard w/ SP2 Windows Server Standard 2003 SP1 & all updates HP DL380 Server I'm having an issue with outgoing emails being delayed in the queue for roughly 15 - 40 minutes. In that time I receive the obligatory "The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt." messages in the App log. When I try to telnet to port 25 of the IP referenced in the log I am unable to connect, same goes for when I try using SMTPDIAG. For some of the IPs I am able to ping them, or run a tracert, but not other indications of connectivity... Nslookups resol...

Exchange 2003 and DC
I've just inherited a network setup where the DC and the Exchange 2003 is on the same box. I've built another box as an additional DC. I want to run dcpromo on the exchange server and make it a member server only. Are there any ramifications in doing this and how do I install the exchange connector on the new DC? TIA, Dylan Taylor Changing the role after Exchange 2003 has been installed is not actually supported. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Dylan T...

Exchange 5.5 relay Prohibited Auth checked
I have an Exchange 5.5 server. I have Rerouting open with Users and clients the Authenticate checked. It has been working fine for a year and now all of a sudden my pop3 users get a 550 relay prohibited error when sending mail. It works if I uncheck "users and clients that Authenticate". I don't want to leave it wide open. I know their user names and passwords are correct. What could cause this to all of a sudden stop working? What changed? Did you add or change a firewall? The reason I ask is that firewalls that do any sort of mail handling, where they accept then forwar...

Balances in Investment Account Don't Match Reality
Folks, How to change the account details in an investment account (IRA) where the some of the quantities of shares don't match the account? I don't see easy way to "correct", vs. Add Shares, Transfer, etc. I don't want to delete the account (to avoid having history disappear), Well, the first thing to do is probably to figure out where the difference came from. Is downloaded data involved? Also, what's wrong with Add/Remove Shares? "Rob Schneider" <rmschne@removetheones_b1e1e1b.net.net> wrote in message news:uBGVjgu$FHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx...

Menu Maker and Excel 2007
Hi all I see that John Walkenbach's Menu Maker doesn't require much modification to work with the QAT. Is there a similar method for building a custom Ribbon tab or group? Thanks in advance Paul Martin Melbourne, Australia Hi, Check out Mike's menu builder for 2007. http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/freeware.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Paul Martin" <melbournefilm@gmail.com> wrote in message news:40c5f73c-9e78-43f5-b4fd-d3f84097837c@f20g2000vbl.googlegroups.com... > Hi all > &...

Exchange 2003 Load balance and cluster
We have two identical machines that we want to load balance and cluster for exchange 2003. the load balance does not want to start. any reason why? Oh yah. I guess my question is that if it is possible to run the laod balance and the cluster on the same two servers "Ashu" wrote: > We have two identical machines that we want to load balance and cluster for > exchange 2003. the load balance does not want to start. any reason why? No,does not support NLB and cluster on same machine! You should rub cluster with your exchange 2003! -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Ashu" &l...

Excel 2007 sorting bug?
If an Excel 2007 sheet (#1) has formula referenced cells to another sheet (#2), and if the column in sheet (#2) containing the referenced cells is then A-Z sorted on the value then the original references in sheet #1 get lost as they are now pointing to different cells. Is this an Excel 2007 bug? Why after the sort does the relative position not move so keeping the correct references?. I have not used $ in the cell address. Beemer No, this is not a bug. If you have cells on Sheet1 pointing to other cells on Sheet2 with a direct reference like =Sheet2!B1, then if you change the c...

Exchange + ntbackup information about
I have a small reality with a SBS2003 server. This is my question: Ntbackup let me backup C: (drive where i have all... exchange included) but... if i make a backup of c: without stop exchange services can i damage databases (public and private)? I know I can use backup "store information etc etc..." but, if possible, i would can extract single exchange databases... Thanks in advance for answers... massimo On 13 Apr 2007 04:10:01 -0700, "massimo" <massimo.carradori@gmail.com> wrote: >I have a small reality with a SBS2003 server. > >This is my question...

exchange 2010 disk recommendation
Hi all, We have f/C SAN storage. We have exchange 2003 now with around 800GB data with RAID 5, lo on RAID 10, 9 mailbox stores, around 680 users, online mode. (no any limit set up here as it's not allowed. We are going to move to Exchange 2010. Will it still recommended that DATA and log on RAID10? or use RAID 5 for data and RAID 10 for LOG? Thank you. On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:00:01 -0800, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >We have f/C SAN storage. We have exchange 2003 now with around 800GB data >with RAID 5, lo on RAID 10, 9 ...

How do I copy my calendar from Exchange to another?
Hi, My department is becoming a company of its own so we're getting our own Exchange Server 2003. We're currently on our parent company's Exchange 2000 machine. Once our own Exchange 2003 server is up and running, how do I copy my calendar to the new machine? Thanks, Sam "Sam" <sam@globalwebcentral.com> wrote in news:OqAjOpW2DHA.1740 @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl: > Once our own Exchange 2003 server is up and running, how do I copy my > calendar to the new machine? One calendar? Export it to a pst file and import it into your new mailbox. Multiple calendars...

Move Exchange to new server
Hello all Currently we have exchange 2003 sp2 installed on one of our 2000 DC\GC We have bought a new server that we will dedicate to Exchange only. After I move all the mailboxes, public folders, and system folders from the DC\GC\Exchange box to the dedicated server, can i then remove Exchange 2003 from the 2000 DC? If so could you please point me to the article on how to move exchange to another server, and how also how to remove exchange ? The dedicated server running Exhchagne will be 2003 sp1. We have 3 2000 DC in the forest that i will upgrade to 2003 Thanks Follow this artic...

Warning 1025 on exchange 2003 enterprise server
Hi Just today I saw a warning showing up in application log of my exchange server. I have exchange 2003 enterprise server with sp1. It is running on a dual processor server with storage connected to it. Since the upgrade from 5.5 (a month back) everything has been going very smooth. I tried to find a solution for this warning on Microsoft KB and eventid.net but cannot find the real cause/solution for 2003 exchange as all those Kbs are for 2000 or 5.5 exchange. The error exactly looks like this: Source: MSExchnageIS mailbox, Type: warning, category: general, eventid: 1025 An error occurred on...

software update problem in $2007 H&B
I've installed Money 2007 H&B and my location is China.Then every time I launched the program,it says something like "To operate correctly,click 'ok' to let Money download the software update." But if I click 'OK',after it download autoupdate.dll(.cab) and autoupdate.xml,it alarms "A software update is already in progress.Please try again when the update is complete." How can I solve the problem ? By the way , can i download the software update manually? I'm having the same problem, and i cannot find the update on microsoft's website...

sending email in outlook 2007 is not working
sending email in outlook 2007 is not working. My gut tells me it has something to do with the setup. What happens and what does the error message say -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "matt" <matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9819497-A904-4827-8A8B-CFFB88E08B16@microsoft.com... > sending email in outlook 2007 is not working. My gut tells me it has > something to do with the setup. > ...

where on Exchange 2000 do you set distribution size limit?
I have a client who wants to create a large distribution list. I know it's a setting on the Exchange server but where? thanks in advance! ...

exchange 5.5 admin tool
can i manage exchange 5.5 from my win 2000 laptop ?If i can where do I find the admin tools. Pls be specific about where I can find the tools. Thanks On Exchange 5.5 installation media. Run setup.exe from there, deselect everything except admin prog, apply Exchange SP4 on laptop and you should be fine. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > can i manage exchange 5.5 from my win 2000 laptop ?If i > can where do I find the admin tools. Pls be specific about > where I can find the tools. > > Thanks ...

Excel 2007 ERROR MSGS
I am using the Trial Office 2007. I have no problems with the other programs, but when I open Excel 2007 I get the following msg: MS Visual Basic Compile Error in Hiidden Module: AutoExecNew When I try to close the program I get this error: MS Visual Basic Compile Error in Hidden Module: DistMon Does anyone know what this means and how I can fix it? Thank you. Google is your friend http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRD_en___US219&q=autoexecnew http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRD_en__...

Installing Office 2007 and keep getting earlier fersion error
I have tried the uninstall utility in Windows XP for a trial version of Office 2003. The install of Office 2007 keeps telling me the 2003 version is still there. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040201090908050807090708 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit How long has it been since you installed Office 2003 "Trial Version"? Also please confirm that YOU REALLY MEAN OFFICE 2003 and not Office 2007. These are two different products doing almost identical things like writing a letter to ...

Cannot view Calenders on differents Exchange site
We have a rather disperse Exchange ORG. The issue is: We have "ABCompany" as our organization. Email communications is good. We have a hub spoke configuration, Exchange Site "A" and "B" communicate via a X.400 connection through a hub site, lets call it SITE "C". But, user "A" can't view user "B"'s calendar, even though user "B" has given user "A" the rights to view/modify/etc. the calendar element in his mailbox. Both user "A" and "B" belong to different "EXCHANGE SITES&quo...

Exchange ignores Smart Host settings
Hi! We installed SBS 2003 and Exchange was initially set up to perform its own SMTP delivery. However, sinve we are on ADSL network, some mail servers do not accept our e-mails. Therefore, we decided to redirect all outgoing e-mail to smart host mail.bellsouth.net. We entered this into smart host settings under default virtual SMTP server, but it doesn't seem to work, as all outgoing e-mail continues to flow directly from Exchange. Restarting virtual SMTP and SMTP service didn't help. Is there anything I am missing here? Do we need to configure SMTP connector first? Thank you...

Outlook 2003/Exchange Address Book Search
Does anyone know a way to add the Manager field to the search dialog box in the Outlook Address Book/GAL in Exchange 2k3? Also how do you search with a Wild Card, ie *manager* for 'IT Manager'? Thanks! ...

About to upgrade Exchange server and want to double check!
All, I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for my Exchange server. I've searched and read on how I should go about this task, and I've settled on buying another server, build another Exchange server in my domain, test it, and slowly move my mailbox from the old server to the new server. Any pitfalls i should be aware of? Do you think this is a good plan? I've read somwhere that installing another Exchange server in the same domain might cause some problems, cause it messes with the schema and what not. Any opinions, thoughts and ideas is greatly appreciated! Thanks!...

Project 2007 PWA + Outlook 2003 = CRASH
We have MS Project 2007 SP1 with MS Outlook SP3. Periodically when we synch outlook, it crashes outlook and / or IE 6. Can not find definative information on how to fix.... Please advise. Thanks -- Thank you George E. Haney III, PMP, MCP George, There are usually some basic things to try first, and you don't mention anything that you may have tried, such as re-installing to repair the installation of the applications. If that's not helpful, you might post back with more information, such as other Office applications you might be using in conjunction, wha...