Exchange 2007 disk space question

Hi, We have around 500 mailboxes and our Mailbox database is getting very
large.  We may soon be running low on disk space on the server.  The server
is attached to a SAN but the SAN is pretty much full.  We cannot asign more
space to the drives where the database store sits.  We are using LCR.

Can we move the store to another network location or does the disk have to
be attached to the exchange server.  Does moving the mailboxes to a newly
created store really get much space back.  When a consultant did our
migration from 2003 to 2007 a couple of years ago I did not notice much
difference in the database size on the new server.  If I delete a heap of old
mailboxes should I get back that space in the store.
thanks
Kaddie
--
Kath

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:05:01 -0800, Kaddie
<kathied@tweed.nsw.gov.au(donotspam)> wrote:

>Hi, We have around 500 mailboxes and our Mailbox database is getting very
>large.  We may soon be running low on disk space on the server.  The server
>is attached to a SAN but the SAN is pretty much full.  We cannot asign more
>space to the drives where the database store sits.  We are using LCR.
>
>Can we move the store to another network location or does the disk have to
>be attached to the exchange server.

The storage must be on devices that allow the use of block-mode
access. While USB disks also fall into that category I wouldn't tey
using them.

>Does moving the mailboxes to a newly
>created store really get much space back.

The only thing you "get back" is the unused space in the database --
and even that's just temporary.

>When a consultant did our
>migration from 2003 to 2007 a couple of years ago I did not notice much
>difference in the database size on the new server.  If I delete a heap of old
>mailboxes should I get back that space in the store.

That depends on how bigh a "heap" is. If space is at a premium, why
are you keeping "old mailboxes" at all?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
1/18/2010 3:45:47 AM
What we do here is that we don't store the mail in the Exchange. Many people here have Exchange mailboxes in GBs. So, we create a pst on another local partition so that the mails can be recovered if Windows crashes.

I don't know how your setup is. but ours is an internal Exchange setup and it works pretty well here.

Kaddie wrote:

Exchange 2007 disk space question
17-Jan-10

Hi, We have around 500 mailboxes and our Mailbox database is getting very
large.  We may soon be running low on disk space on the server.  The server
is attached to a SAN but the SAN is pretty much full.  We cannot asign more
space to the drives where the database store sits.  We are using LCR.

Can we move the store to another network location or does the disk have to
be attached to the exchange server.  Does moving the mailboxes to a newly
created store really get much space back.  When a consultant did our
migration from 2003 to 2007 a couple of years ago I did not notice much
difference in the database size on the new server.  If I delete a heap of old
mailboxes should I get back that space in the store.
thanks
Kaddie
--
Kath

..NET Object Mapper / Code Generator For SQL Server
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/8a2be546-6c14-4d9c-8ed8-f5cece4363ef/net-object-mapper--code.aspx
0
Sei

Hey Microsoft! Exchange 2003 Question
Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and Level2 attachment lists? I don't want my Outlook users to have to save a certain type of file to the disk first. If so how? Thanks This may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0be901c3db86$5e56e700$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and > Level2 attachment lists? > I don't want my Outlook users to ha...

Post Exchange SP2 install outgoing messages not being delivered
I have just finished installing SP1 for Windows 2003 Server and SP2 for Exchange 2003, since the install mail being sent to specific servers i.e aol.com, yahoo.com, and a few others is not flowing, it is being queued and not being delivered as before. I need to find a fix for this issue fast, Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated. OS: Windows 2003 Server Standard w/ SP1 and all updates Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 Thanks in advance. That usually indicates that the server cannot resolve the target domains in DNS. I have seen similar problems caused by the virus scann...

Exchange 2003 SP2 and IE 7
Hi, Since installing IE 7 on the Exchange back-end server, I can't get access to any information in the public folders from Outlook clients. I can open the Public folders, but there is nothing showing in there... But if I add new stuff, the new item shows up in that PF. If I try the some public folder that are not replicated on this server, I can see the content... This is not a permission problem, since that has not changed, and has been verified... Any one knows what is going on ??? Thanks !!! ...

Using insert to paste a row--how done in Excel 2007
Hi, In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a row instead of what I have copied. I want it the old way! How do I do it? -- Thanks, PTweety R-click, Insert Copied Cells. pickytweety wrote: > Hi, > In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a > new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it > automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a r...

Off topic: VB6 question

mailboxes are getting larger on Exchange Server
Dear all, I ve a problem in my exchange server 2003. * The mailboxes are getting larger and although i m delvering the mails to PST files *Many mailboxes shows that they r above the limit "mailbox disabled" .... i m using a quata for the mailboxes. and by browsing the mailbox i dont c any thing in the mail box from the user's side ... the only solution is to expand the its quota then it returns to normale stauts very strange!! Note: I m taking backup every day "the normal backup size was 17 GB after that its 65 GB" *It only took one day to get to the 65...

Exchange 2000 and Unix
Hi, We have a Exchange server which is connected to the internet via which we send/receive e-mail to the external world. We have a couple of Unix boxes (Solaris) which we want setup to connect to the Exchange server for sending e-mails to the Internet. However everytime an e-mail is send we get an error about relaying. Due to security reasons the Exchange admin cannot setup relaying. Is there another way to set this up, say via Exchange connector ? Please let me know. Thanks, Subho The Exchange Admin "could" configure relaying so specific machines can relay messages via yo...

Fix: Visio 2007 x64 Hangs During Database model Creation
I'm posting this here, so hopefully others will have an easier time finding the solution than I did... On Windows XP (x64) Visio 2007 hangs when I try to create a new database model diagram. Performing a "repair" doesn't help at all. For some reason, turning off the "Print Spooler" Service makes things work just fine. I have no idea why this is, but it did the trick. -- Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C# http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins Hi Chris, Thanks for sharing this information. Do you see the hang when creating other new draw...

Help with
I am currently in the process of migrating exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 on new hardware. I have transfered the RUS role, offline address book role and replicated the public folders ect. and now am beginning to move maiboxes. I noticed 3 very repetive errors in the application event log however. I was wondering if someone could tell me whether these messages are somthing I should be concerned with. See them below. So far I have no user complaints about outlook. Thanks. Event ID: 9320 Source MSExchangeSA Type Warning Description OALGen could not generate full details for some en...

Disabling Unicode Messaging
Apparently Exchange 2003 uses Unicode Messaging which previous versions of Exch did not. Now that we have migrated all of our users from Exch 2000 to 2003 their OST files will not work. We have no need for Unicode messaging so rather than rebuilding all of our User's Outlook Profile we would rather simply "disable" Unicode Messaging on the Exch Server. Does anyone have any idea how to do that? Can it be done once the server is in use and has 150+ mailboxes on it Thanks for any input Michael ...

Migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003
Hi all My Scenario Two Windows 2000 SP4 Servers with Exchange 2000. It`s an active/active cluster with two exchange instances. I must migrate just one instance to a new cluster with Windows 2003 Sp1 with Exchange 2003 I must keep the four servers ( two win2k exch 2000 clustered , and two win2k3 with exch2003 clustered) Anyone Could Help Me? Thanks a lot This might get you started: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html As a general rule MS do not recommend Active Active clusters for Exchange. You may want to reconsider keeping the exist...

Exchange 5.5 message.txt
Hi, I have problem. I got email with error message: This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set. <<message.txt>> Anyone knows the solution? ...

Counting Question #3
I have three columns: dates, values, and names 10/17 $300 Jim 10/17 $300 Jim 10/17 $200 Tom 10/17 $100 Jim When I enter Jim and $300 in to two separate cells, in a third cell I want to count the number of "days" it applies to (all the way down the spreadsheet.) So in other words, there are two instances in the same day of Jim and $300, but since it all happened on one day, the answer would be one. Hope I explained it well. =sumproduct(--(b1:b10=x1),--(c1:c10=x2)) where x1 holds the amount, x2 holds the name and B1:B10 holds the list of amounts and c1:c10 holds the list of...

Backup service authentication question
Hello, I have a fairly small Exchange 2003 installation. My HQ site has a single Exchange 2k3 BE server. The HQ site is connected to 3 other remote sites via a mesh network. Each of those sites has a local Exchange 2k3 BE server. I use BackupExec 11d for my backups. I recently noticed that if my Exchange server in the HQ site is unavailable, the Exchange backups in the remote sites fail in connecting to the resource. It appears like an authentication issue. When the main site comes back on line, backups can run again without issue. Each site has at least one 2k3 domain controlle...

How do I turn on drag and drop in MS Word 2007?
It seems that drag and drop has stopped working..... I have no clue why. There are instructions on how to turn drag and drop on/off for MS Word 2003, but I can't find the directions on how to do this for Word 2007. I'd like to turn this back on. Can anyone help? Click on the the Office Button (top/left) and at the bottom of that window click on Word Options. In that window choose Advanced. Drag and Drop is the third choice down. (That said... it doesn't always work even when you have selected it. Sigh) The problem could have to do with the Symbols dialog box. When you...

Money 2007 add/delete Category
Is there a way to maintain my categories by viewing a list so easily add/delete categories? The Category maintenance in 2007 sucks.. I need to run through every single category just to delete one. Deluxe or Essential? If Deluxe, use the Account List More pull out, Categories & :Payees|Categories should show you all the categories at once and allow you to Move, Modify or Delete them as required. The pulldown at the top lets you see just Categories or Categories and Subcategories. "Vital" <Vital@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D4AAA91-6602-429E-915...

Exchange SP2 Regstry Edit
Does anyone know what registry key to edit to increase the database from 18GB to 75GB I have downloaded and installed the prerelease version of sp2? On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:28:57 -0700, Jamesh512 <Jamesh512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know what registry key to edit to increase the database from 18GB >to 75GB I have downloaded and installed the prerelease version of sp2? I hope this isnt on a production machine. Im not even sure if the store increase is avail yet since this is only the CTP. (Not sure why this reply isn't showing up in the ng :) Search ...

Using a Space in Webbrowser Control
Hello: As usual, I've run into a problem with something that is probably so simple... any help is appreciated. I'm using the webbrowser control with the navigate method. The url I'm using needs a space (which I know is not normally allowed, but it works directly in firefox and IE). Here's some sample code: ------------------------------------ strWebPage = "http://www.imdb.com" &" ?" & Text2.Text txtURL.Text = strWebPage Web1.Navigate txtURL.Text Do While Web1.ReadyState <> READYSTATE_COMPLETE DoEvents Loop DoEven...

Exporting a table from Access 2003 to Excel 2007
I am trying to export a table from Access 2003 with more than 100,000 records into Excel 2007 and am not having any luck. I do not find the 2007 file extension in the drop down and choosing the latest version only exports part of the table. Any thoughts on whether this is possible to do? -- Carol Hi Carol, This is even hard to do with Excel 2007. You won't be able to do it directly with Excel 2003. You could export the file as a comma separated value with a csv suffix. By default Excel usually opens csv files. However you may lose formatting and other stuff. I ju...

row spacing in custom drawn CListCtrl
I have noticed that row spacing in a custom drawn (not owner drawn) CListCtrl when run on Vista or Server 2008 is about 20% larger than on XP. Is there a way to reduce this spacing? Thanks in advance, Julijan Probably not easily; Vista uses a different font than XP, so you are probably seeing artifacts of the different font size (assuming that the Vista machine is running in an absoutely identical configuration to the XP machine, same size screen, same resolution, same default font name, etc.; if not, then there is no reason to expect they will be "the same", ever, anyway). ...

outlook cannot find exchange server
I am trying to configure my client computer with outlook 2002 to the SBServer, and it resolves my name and password, but when it gets to the point where it needs to configure my outlook, it gives an error message that Exchange is not available or it is down for maintenance, can anyone help with this problem? I acn connect to the server for everything else including the internet Thank you What type of authentication do you have set for Outlook? Try using none and see if that works. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After ...

Outllook 2007
Hi I have installed Office 2007 with Outlook and am starting to use it as my email account. I also have Outlook Connector so that my Hotmail is linked (?) to my Outlook. Suffice it to say that the set up of Outlook is confusing and I need help. 1. For some reason I find that I have 2 email accounts: Options -- Mail Settings - Email accounts: Pop3 and MAPI. Do I need both? which one is not needed? Both have the same HotMail address?? 2. The left side of my Outlook page, under Mail has a number of items -- see below -- am I set up incorectly? Why do I have 2 inboxes ...

exchange alternative
A few months back I was asking questions about setting up an Exchange server BUT someone pointed me to a company that had software that could synchronise your outlook contacts and calendars using outlook email. Anyone have any ideas what the company was again? There are several listed here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "R Doornbosch" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message news:ObfMMbGAEHA.3456@T...

How do I determine whether my exchange server is being used to relay SPAM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C41E7A.F70E2800 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have recently changed from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. We have also = instituted an signature program for our outgoing email. This week I have = been getting NDR's from sites and some say that our site is sending them = SPAM. I beleive that either these sites are registering the signatures = as SPAM or our server is relaying SPAM messages. How do I determine = this, I imagine that some logs would show t...

[2010] a couple of "search" questions
in the (advanced) search window, two questions: - it is possible to save a customized view setup? I mean columns shown, format, sort, and so on... - in the old 2003 version, in the status (bottom of the window) there was the total number of found items: now it's missing :( can I reactivate it? -- /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\ -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=- >>>>> http://www.bb2002.it :) <<<<< ............ [ al lavoro ] ........... ...