Exchange 2007 Direct file access

Hi all

I am testing out direct file access in OWA. From a client machine that is
not a member of the same domain that exchange 2007 is when i go to the OWA
site then open up the Windwos file share i can see my documents that I have
in the shared folder, and i can access them jsut fine, but what i cant do is
open any of the documents up in Windows explorer, I get a DNS error page
cannot be found. If i do the same thing on the Exchange box itself it all
works.

My question is how can users who are remote edit data and then save the
changes back to the windows file share? must this process be done using the
"open document usign windows explorer" option in OWA?

Thansk very much
0
Skip1 (502)

Ok i got this to work. It was the way i was logging into OWA, i was logging
in as username, instead of domainname\username. When i used
domainname\username the file share opened up.

Now when I try and edit the document and save it with the same name i get an
erro telling me the file is read only. Its a word document .doc If i change
the name of the document I can then save it. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks

"skip" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am testing out direct file access in OWA. From a client machine that is
> not a member of the same domain that exchange 2007 is when i go to the OWA
> site then open up the Windwos file share i can see my documents that I have
> in the shared folder, and i can access them jsut fine, but what i cant do is
> open any of the documents up in Windows explorer, I get a DNS error page
> cannot be found. If i do the same thing on the Exchange box itself it all
> works.
>
> My question is how can users who are remote edit data and then save the
> changes back to the windows file share? must this process be done using the
> "open document usign windows explorer" option in OWA?
>
> Thansk very much
0
Skip1 (502)
8/24/2006 7:24:02 PM
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:24:02 -0700, skip
<skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ok i got this to work. It was the way i was logging into OWA, i was logging
>in as username, instead of domainname\username. When i used
>domainname\username the file share opened up.
>
>Now when I try and edit the document and save it with the same name i get an
>erro telling me the file is read only. Its a word document .doc If i change
>the name of the document I can then save it. Is this normal behavior?
>
>Thanks

It is read only and remains that way until something else happens.
(now, that thing I know but I don't know if I can say yet but it's not
a box that is an Exchange server)
Suffice to say that file access is read-only.
0
mark7219 (5666)
8/24/2006 8:01:43 PM
Nope that wasnt it. When i was trying to access the file share in OWA from a
remote machine, i could see in I.E it was trying to open \\sername\sharename,
so i decided to try and access this share using windows explorer i was
prompted for creds got authenticated and i was able to see the data. I then
opened up OWA again from the client machine clicked on open using windows
explorer then the site opened up fine. So it seems that its a permision issue
and not a DNS issue. Grrrrr!

"skip" wrote:

> Ok i got this to work. It was the way i was logging into OWA, i was logging
> in as username, instead of domainname\username. When i used
> domainname\username the file share opened up.
>
> Now when I try and edit the document and save it with the same name i get an
> erro telling me the file is read only. Its a word document .doc If i change
> the name of the document I can then save it. Is this normal behavior?
>
> Thanks
>

> "skip" wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I am testing out direct file access in OWA. From a client machine that is
> > not a member of the same domain that exchange 2007 is when i go to the OWA
> > site then open up the Windwos file share i can see my documents that I have
> > in the shared folder, and i can access them jsut fine, but what i cant do is
> > open any of the documents up in Windows explorer, I get a DNS error page
> > cannot be found. If i do the same thing on the Exchange box itself it all
> > works.
> >
> > My question is how can users who are remote edit data and then save the
> > changes back to the windows file share? must this process be done using the
> > "open document usign windows explorer" option in OWA?
> >
> > Thansk very much
0
Skip1 (502)
8/24/2006 8:10:04 PM
It appears that by default acccessing file shares via OWA is always read only
meaning you cant open up the file share uisng the windows explorer option in
OWA. If this is true then how will users be able to edit documents and then
save  them back  to the windows file share?

The only i know of is the user would need to save the document to there
local machine and edit it. There is no way to edit the document in the
windows file share itself.

I think i will have to keep using publif folders then

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:24:02 -0700, skip
> <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok i got this to work. It was the way i was logging into OWA, i was logging
> >in as username, instead of domainname\username. When i used
> >domainname\username the file share opened up.
> >
> >Now when I try and edit the document and save it with the same name i get an
> >erro telling me the file is read only. Its a word document .doc If i change
> >the name of the document I can then save it. Is this normal behavior?
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> It is read only and remains that way until something else happens.
> (now, that thing I know but I don't know if I can say yet but it's not
> a box that is an Exchange server)
> Suffice to say that file access is read-only.

0
Skip1 (502)

Merging Two Office Data Files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C3C6E7.505DB790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Here is the situation: I've a desktop and a laptop. Before I bought the laptop I was using MS = Outlook on my desktop. Now that I'm using my laptop mostly, I would like = to have my old emails from my desktop Outlook merged with the laptop = Outlook emails. I don't want to replace the laptop outlook files with = the desktop outlook files is the folder - C:\Documents and = Settings\Laptop\Lo...

Linking files 2 ways

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Reporting from Project Server

Maximum file sizes

find action on log file

File size #11

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Contacts in Exchange #2

Access to User Calendar

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

outlook 2007 e-mail

Mobile Access
When I try to reach our mobile access by typing http://serverIP/oma, I get the error... A system error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks, Jose What is "oma" supposed to be? "Jose Alfaro" <ja@mkrs.com> wrote in message news:2cfc01c3fcaa$2e5247d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to reach our mobile access by typing > http://serverIP/oma, I get the error... > > A system error has occurred while processing your > request. Please...