Exchange 2003 with wrong domain name

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on an issue we are
having.

We have an Exchange 2003 and DC(Windows 2003 Server) server behind a
Cisco PIX 506e router. Everything works great, however the company that
installed the servers for us, named our domain wrong.
So our root domain is not correct.

However, this has never been a problem until now.  Now more and more
companies are using some type of reverse lookup to make sure the domain
name matches up with the IP address.

Well, since our domain name was named wrong, the external address of
our firewall, does not match our domain name.

So here is what I've considered doing:

1) Scrapping everything, and rebuilding the DC/AD from scratch using
the correct domain name...however this would be a MAJOR pain in the
A$$.

2) Setting up some type of gateway email server on the outside of the
firewall that has it's own public IP address and the correct
name(mail.correctdomain.com). It recieves all the email, and then
forwards it to the Exchange server that's behind the firewall.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If the only user data is the mailboxes, I think I'd rather bite on the
rebuilds than try to change the domain name.  Are you using a .local domain
or are you using your FQDN as your domain name?  If the SMTP issues are your
only complaints, then maybe it's as simple as editing your SMTP banner to
match your PTR.
But again, if you have a handful of users without alot of extra booha
(mailbox rules, sharing permissions on folders, the little things that aren't
easy to migrate) I'd exmerge out their mailboxes and rebuild the environment.

"cmtoth" wrote:

> I was hoping someone could give me some advice on an issue we are
> having.
>
> We have an Exchange 2003 and DC(Windows 2003 Server) server behind a
> Cisco PIX 506e router. Everything works great, however the company that
> installed the servers for us, named our domain wrong.
> So our root domain is not correct.
>
> However, this has never been a problem until now.  Now more and more
> companies are using some type of reverse lookup to make sure the domain
> name matches up with the IP address.
>
> Well, since our domain name was named wrong, the external address of
> our firewall, does not match our domain name.
>
> So here is what I've considered doing:
>
> 1) Scrapping everything, and rebuilding the DC/AD from scratch using
> the correct domain name...however this would be a MAJOR pain in the
> A$$.
>
> 2) Setting up some type of gateway email server on the outside of the
> firewall that has it's own public IP address and the correct
> name(mail.correctdomain.com). It recieves all the email, and then
> forwards it to the Exchange server that's behind the firewall.
>

> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

0
ahoward (3)
9/7/2005 3:21:11 PM
PTR records (used for reverse lookups) don't map to internal domain names.
They map to external A records.  No one should care/complain if you are
using an internal domain name that doesn't match your external domain name.
Lots of companies are set up with company.local internal domain names.

I'd suggest the following:
1.  Make sure that your PTR record matches the A record referenced by your
MX record.
i.e.
MX 10 mail.yourcompany.com
A mail.yourcompany.com [x.x.x.x] (external IP of firewall probably)
PTR  x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa    =   mail.yourcompany.com
2.  If necessary, modify the FQDN on your SMTP server.  This is done on the
properties of the SMTP Virtual server, Delivery tab, Advanced button,
Fully-quyalified domain name section.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"cmtoth" <chrismtoth@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I was hoping someone could give me some advice on an issue we are
> having.
>
> We have an Exchange 2003 and DC(Windows 2003 Server) server behind a
> Cisco PIX 506e router. Everything works great, however the company that
> installed the servers for us, named our domain wrong.
> So our root domain is not correct.
>
> However, this has never been a problem until now.  Now more and more
> companies are using some type of reverse lookup to make sure the domain
> name matches up with the IP address.
>
> Well, since our domain name was named wrong, the external address of
> our firewall, does not match our domain name.
>
> So here is what I've considered doing:
>
> 1) Scrapping everything, and rebuilding the DC/AD from scratch using
> the correct domain name...however this would be a MAJOR pain in the
> A$$.
>
> 2) Setting up some type of gateway email server on the outside of the
> firewall that has it's own public IP address and the correct
> name(mail.correctdomain.com). It recieves all the email, and then
> forwards it to the Exchange server that's behind the firewall.
>

> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

0
Ben
9/7/2005 3:28:05 PM
Thanks guys...

I modifed the A record to mail.correctdomain.com [x.x.x.x] (firewall
IP...it was set to the internal IP addy of the mail server...and it did
complain about this, but I forced it anyway)

I ALSO modified the FQDN on the SMTP server(thanks Ben!)  to
mail.correctdomain.com

Here is what an email from me looked like before the mods:

Now it looks like this:

But I still can't send stuff to AOL...

Do you have a PTR record set up?  IIRC, AOL is one of those domains that
actually requires a PTR record.  It's pretty dumb, but they do it.

If you do not have a PTR record set up, then you need to ask your ISP to set
one up for you.  They own the IP address, so they must create the PTR
record.

--

> Thanks guys...
>
> I modifed the A record to mail.correctdomain.com [x.x.x.x] (firewall
> IP...it was set to the internal IP addy of the mail server...and it did
> complain about this, but I forced it anyway)
>
> I ALSO modified the FQDN on the SMTP server(thanks Ben!)  to
> mail.correctdomain.com
>
> Here is what an email from me looked like before the mods:

> Now it looks like this:

> But I still can't send stuff to AOL...

0
Ben
9/7/2005 6:44:54 PM
Thanks Ben...I'm not sure if I have a PTR record or not.  I assume my
ISP would have done that for me.  But maybe not.  So do I just call
them and say I need a PTR record for a server?

yup.  They should know what you are talking about.  If they do not know what
you are talking about, they don't know what they are doing, or you aren't
talking to one of their network folks.

--

> Thanks Ben...I'm not sure if I have a PTR record or not.  I assume my
> ISP would have done that for me.  But maybe not.  So do I just call
> them and say I need a PTR record for a server?

0
Ben
9/7/2005 8:55:28 PM
"cmtoth" <chrismtoth@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks Ben...I'm not sure if I have a PTR record or not.  I assume my
>ISP would have done that for me.  But maybe not.  So do I just call
>them and say I need a PTR record for a server?

You can visit http://www.dnsreport.com and have it check your DNS and
do a brief check on your mail server.

If you need a PTR record it must be added by the organization
responsible for the operation of the network. That's usually your ISP.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

We understand that you require the Reverse DNS support for your domain
name.

Please be informed that currently our servers do not support the
Reverse DNS Look up for the domain names registered.

You need to talk to someone there.  They own the IP address and are
responsible for it.  It isn't necessarily that you need reverse-DNS for your
domain (though it would be better), rather you simply need a PTR record
period.  If they have DNS servers Period, they should be able to set this up
for you.  It takes all of about 10 seconds.  If they can't provide that,
they are incompetent as an ISP.

--

> Now I'm screwed...here's the response from my ISP when I asked about
> this:
>
> We understand that you require the Reverse DNS support for your domain
> name.
>
> Please be informed that currently our servers do not support the
> Reverse DNS Look up for the domain names registered.

0
Ben
9/9/2005 4:05:23 PM
Change ISPs.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"cmtoth" <chrismtoth@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Now I'm screwed...here's the response from my ISP when I asked about
> this:
>
> We understand that you require the Reverse DNS support for your domain
> name.
>
> Please be informed that currently our servers do not support the
> Reverse DNS Look up for the domain names registered.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/9/2005 4:25:17 PM
"cmtoth" <chrismtoth@gmail.com> wrote:

>Now I'm screwed...here's the response from my ISP when I asked about
>this:
>
>We understand that you require the Reverse DNS support for your domain
>name.
>
>Please be informed that currently our servers do not support the
>Reverse DNS Look up for the domain names registered.

You don't want a reverse lookup (PTR) record for the domain. You want
one for your IP address(es). It'd be nice if the name returned as a
result of the query was also the name of the server in the forward
lookup zone, but that's not a requirement (except by some over-the-top
mail servers that insist that the names match).

If the ISP is telling you that they have no reverse lookup zone for
the IP address block they're responsible for then you should ask them
what their upstream provider (the people they purchase their nework
connectivity from) think about this. And then make sure you let that
provider know they refuse to provide PTR records that correspond to
the forward lookup zones.

Either that or go find another ISP. Or maybe find someone other than
the person you spoke to and ask the same question.

Just out of curiosity, who's your ISP and what network block are you
in? Do you have more than one IP address? Is it a static IP address?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

My ISP is USLec.

We have a few static IPs available to us.  But our Exchange server is
located behind our Cisco PIX firewall and goes through a single IP
address(216.64.70.242).

So I guess I call and ask them to add Reverse DNS for that IP address?

Thanks!

Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:
> "cmtoth" <chrismtoth@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Now I'm screwed...here's the response from my ISP when I asked about
> >this:
> >
> >We understand that you require the Reverse DNS support for your domain
> >name.
> >
> >Please be informed that currently our servers do not support the
> >Reverse DNS Look up for the domain names registered.
>
> You don't want a reverse lookup (PTR) record for the domain. You want
> one for your IP address(es). It'd be nice if the name returned as a
> result of the query was also the name of the server in the forward
> lookup zone, but that's not a requirement (except by some over-the-top
> mail servers that insist that the names match).
>
> If the ISP is telling you that they have no reverse lookup zone for
> the IP address block they're responsible for then you should ask them
> what their upstream provider (the people they purchase their nework
> connectivity from) think about this. And then make sure you let that
> provider know they refuse to provide PTR records that correspond to
> the forward lookup zones.
>
> Either that or go find another ISP. Or maybe find someone other than
> the person you spoke to and ask the same question.
>
> Just out of curiosity, who's your ISP and what network block are you
> in? Do you have more than one IP address? Is it a static IP address?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

ctoth (2)
9/14/2005 2:54:07 PM
"Magyar" <ctoth@litsol.com> wrote:

>Rich...thank you for your response.
>
>My ISP is USLec.
>
>We have a few static IPs available to us.  But our Exchange server is
>located behind our Cisco PIX firewall and goes through a single IP
>address(216.64.70.242).

That's okay. The PTR record you need is for that address, then.

You'll see the problem here:
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=litsol.com

Whoever manages your DNS might want to touch up the serial number. If
the SOA serial number is to be believed, there haven't been any
changes since 11-Nov-2003.

They should also shorten the SOA retry interval to something a bit
shorter than one day. :)

Neither of those last two ar fatal errors, but why temppt fate? :)

>So I guess I call and ask them to add Reverse DNS for that IP address?

Yep. You should.

If they allow the use of TXT records you should also publish the IP
address or server name in SPF format for your domain.
SPF/SenderID-less domains are going to start having trouble delivering
messages to major ISPs pretty soon (or at least delivering messages
that aren't tagged as possibly being spam).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Running Money 2003 in Vista

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2003
Just bought new PC. Everything is Microsoft. XP Home - Microsoft Works (came installed) - User like to use MSN for e-mail, Sent Microsoft $300.00 to activate Office that came installed on machine. Word will not allow MSN to be the e-mail client. System crashed and burned after activation of Office. Outlook 2003 seems a little unstable. Why would a new PC with Works, Office Express and Outlook 2003 be shipped? All these programs do the same thing and they don't seem to talk with each other well. On top of this all she wants to do is use Word and send the document through MSN nor...

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Moving Exchange #5

Backing Up Exchange Database

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

Outlook 2003

Outlook 2003 rules question again

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

What is the technical reason for native mode requirement of the domain?
.... what is the technical reason, why CRM can only be installed in a domain in native mode? Regards, Thomas Hello, It's for supporting group nesting which is used in MS CRM. IMO and as far as I know, it is the only reason for the native AD requirement. HTH. Nicolas >-----Original Message----- >.... what is the technical reason, why CRM can only be installed in a domain >in native mode? > >Regards, >Thomas > > >. > Nicolas Hognon wrote: [...] > It's for supporting group nesting which is used in MS CRM. > > IMO and as far as I know, it i...

Troubleshooting Exchange
I'm just wanting to write some 'proof of concept' scripts relating to Exchange that would help in troubleshooting any issues. Like the Exchange connections/second, etc. Are there any other qualitative data that can be used in general troubleshooting? Marco ...