Exchange 2003 - Users Not able to Access Public Folders after Moving to Native Mode

After bringing down our last Exchange 5.5 server, removing the ADC, and
going to Native Mode we have been getting multiple application event ID
8197's with the following description on one of our Exchange 2003 servers:

"Error initializing session for virtual machine SERVERNAME. The error number
is 0x8004011d. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running. "

Users can no longer access Public Folders on that server but can access
they're mailboxes. Luckily most users on that server don't utilize the
public folders and the few that do we have since moved to another Exchange
2003 server that we have had no problems with. I have checked the Public
Folder Store on that server and it's mounted.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

0
dan9087 (4)

In news:%23CL%23pqmxEHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Dan <dan@gatorplanet.com> made a post then I commented below
> After bringing down our last Exchange 5.5 server, removing the ADC,
> and going to Native Mode we have been getting multiple application
> event ID 8197's with the following description on one of our Exchange
> 2003 servers:
> "Error initializing session for virtual machine SERVERNAME. The error
> number is 0x8004011d. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running. "
>
> Users can no longer access Public Folders on that server but can
> access they're mailboxes. Luckily most users on that server don't
> utilize the public folders and the few that do we have since moved to
> another Exchange 2003 server that we have had no problems with. I
> have checked the Public Folder Store on that server and it's mounted.
>
> Any help on this would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Did you replicate and move the system folders, such as the Free/Busy folder
prior to removing the 55 server? See if this article helps with instructions
to get it back:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=8197&eventno=840&source=MSExchangeFBPublish&phase=1

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Ace,

I followed the following two Q articles when migrating the last server and
moving to native mode and in doing so did move over the system folders.

"Q822450: How to remove the last Exchange Server 5.5 computer from an
Exchange Server 2003 administrative group"
"Q272314   XADM: Preparing a Mixed Mode Organization for Conversion to
Native Mode"

I totally forgot to check out eventid.com for a solution and am kicking
myself for it.  Your link had another user (Jean-Paul Leccia) that
experienced a similar problem.  I reapplied the Default Public Store for the
mailbox store on this server and it fixed the problem immediatly.  I didn't
have to do anything to the Offline Address List as we didn't experience any
problems similar to that.

Jean-Paul Leccia (Last update 12/24/2003):
- Error: 0x8004011c - Our users could not access the PF and the OAB but they
could continue to send/receive mails. To fix this, in the "Mailbox Store
<server name> Properties", we reapplied the Default Public Store and the
Offline Address List (as before without changing anything).

Thanks for the quick feedback!
Dan

*******************************************************************************************************************************

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:uHZ5IcnxEHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23CL%23pqmxEHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Dan <dan@gatorplanet.com> made a post then I commented below
>> After bringing down our last Exchange 5.5 server, removing the ADC,
>> and going to Native Mode we have been getting multiple application
>> event ID 8197's with the following description on one of our Exchange
>> 2003 servers:
>> "Error initializing session for virtual machine SERVERNAME. The error
>> number is 0x8004011d. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running. "
>>
>> Users can no longer access Public Folders on that server but can
>> access they're mailboxes. Luckily most users on that server don't
>> utilize the public folders and the few that do we have since moved to
>> another Exchange 2003 server that we have had no problems with. I
>> have checked the Public Folder Store on that server and it's mounted.
>>
>> Any help on this would be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>
> Did you replicate and move the system folders, such as the Free/Busy
> folder prior to removing the 55 server? See if this article helps with
> instructions to get it back:
>
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=8197&eventno=840&source=MSExchangeFBPublish&phase=1
>

> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

0
dan9087 (4)
11/9/2004 6:48:56 PM
In news:uwY5HzoxEHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Dan <dan@gatorplanet.com> made a post then I commented below
> Ace,
>
> I followed the following two Q articles when migrating the last
> server and moving to native mode and in doing so did move over the
> system folders.
> "Q822450: How to remove the last Exchange Server 5.5 computer from an
> Exchange Server 2003 administrative group"
> "Q272314   XADM: Preparing a Mixed Mode Organization for Conversion to
> Native Mode"
>
> I totally forgot to check out eventid.com for a solution and am
> kicking myself for it.  Your link had another user (Jean-Paul Leccia)
> that experienced a similar problem.  I reapplied the Default Public
> Store for the mailbox store on this server and it fixed the problem
> immediatly.  I didn't have to do anything to the Offline Address List
> as we didn't experience any problems similar to that.
>
> Jean-Paul Leccia (Last update 12/24/2003):
> - Error: 0x8004011c - Our users could not access the PF and the OAB
> but they could continue to send/receive mails. To fix this, in the
> "Mailbox Store <server name> Properties", we reapplied the Default
> Public Store and the Offline Address List (as before without changing
> anything).
>
> Thanks for the quick feedback!
> Dan

That is great! Good to hear you got it working. That's tinteresting that is
all you had to do to fix it.

Cheers!

Ace

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Reporting from Project Server

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Contacts in Exchange #2