Exchange 2003 server move

What is the best practice for moving an exchange 2003 server that is
currently installed on a DC?  I've recently gotten an approval to purchase
another server soloely for exchange.  The backups seem to be fine and I'd
like to uninstall the current server because I don't have a lot of
confidence in it.  From my understanding there have been a number of
in-place upgrades and most importantly, there is only a gig of hard drive
space left on the drive where exchange is installed.  What I'm looking for
is documentation and experience on installing another server, synchronizing
the servers and then effectively removing the old server.

TIA,
Dylan

0
dtaylor1 (7)

On Sun, 15 May 2005 08:53:38 -0700, "Dylan Taylor"
<dtaylor@crimelab.org> wrote:

>What is the best practice for moving an exchange 2003 server that is
>currently installed on a DC?  I've recently gotten an approval to purchase
>another server soloely for exchange.  The backups seem to be fine and I'd
>like to uninstall the current server because I don't have a lot of
>confidence in it.  From my understanding there have been a number of
>in-place upgrades and most importantly, there is only a gig of hard drive
>space left on the drive where exchange is installed.  What I'm looking for
>is documentation and experience on installing another server, synchronizing
>the servers and then effectively removing the old server.
>
>TIA,
>Dylan

http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1001&faqname=Exchange%202000&sectionID=1024&sectionName=Exchange%202000%20Move%20Server%20Method

or

http://tinyurl.com/ys7e9

Applies to E2003 as well.

0
adavid (8731)
5/15/2005 4:29:36 PM
My research lead me the 1st link also. Now I do have the problem where the
current exchange server is installed on a DC. For some reason, I thought
that demoting the server to a member server wasn't supported. Please advise.

"Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
message news:b6ue815bqmnlud5pjk86s12aq0p1k5pc96@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 08:53:38 -0700, "Dylan Taylor"
> <dtaylor@crimelab.org> wrote:
>
>>What is the best practice for moving an exchange 2003 server that is
>>currently installed on a DC?  I've recently gotten an approval to purchase
>>another server soloely for exchange.  The backups seem to be fine and I'd
>>like to uninstall the current server because I don't have a lot of
>>confidence in it.  From my understanding there have been a number of
>>in-place upgrades and most importantly, there is only a gig of hard drive
>>space left on the drive where exchange is installed.  What I'm looking for
>>is documentation and experience on installing another server,
>>synchronizing
>>the servers and then effectively removing the old server.
>>
>>TIA,
>>Dylan
>>

> http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1001&faqname=Exchange%202000&sectionID=1024&sectionName=Exchange%202000%20Move%20Server%20Method
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ys7e9
>

> Applies to E2003 as well.

0
dtaylor1 (7)
5/15/2005 6:05:04 PM
I also found this in the Microsoft KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q155216

The current server will continue to function as the DC.  But I plan on
naming the new server, "Mail"  Will this pose a problem?

"Dylan Taylor" <dtaylor@crimelab.org> wrote in message
> What is the best practice for moving an exchange 2003 server that is
> currently installed on a DC?  I've recently gotten an approval to purchase
> another server soloely for exchange.  The backups seem to be fine and I'd
> like to uninstall the current server because I don't have a lot of
> confidence in it.  From my understanding there have been a number of
> in-place upgrades and most importantly, there is only a gig of hard drive
> space left on the drive where exchange is installed.  What I'm looking for
> is documentation and experience on installing another server,
> synchronizing the servers and then effectively removing the old server.
>
> TIA,
> Dylan

0
dtaylor1 (7)
5/15/2005 6:29:33 PM
Hello,

I'm not quite sure to understand perfectly what you want to do but for what
I read in your post, I think you currently have an Exchange Server acting as
a DC too and now, you want to move Exchange Service to another server and
leave DC as it is, without Exchange role, am I right ?

If so, all you have to do is installing Exchange 2K3 (same organisation) on
the new machine, bring it to last upgrades available and then, move
mailboxes and public folders to the new one. At this point, you have tow
Exchange servers, one with data and the other without anything and acting as
the DC. All you have to do is removing Exchange from previous machine and
you're done...

I don't understand where is the problem, do I miss something ?

"Dylan Taylor" <dtaylor@crimelab.org> a �crit dans le message de news:
OqkMFZWWFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> What is the best practice for moving an exchange 2003 server that is
> currently installed on a DC?  I've recently gotten an approval to purchase
> another server soloely for exchange.  The backups seem to be fine and I'd
> like to uninstall the current server because I don't have a lot of
> confidence in it.  From my understanding there have been a number of
> in-place upgrades and most importantly, there is only a gig of hard drive
> space left on the drive where exchange is installed.  What I'm looking for
> is documentation and experience on installing another server,
synchronizing
> the servers and then effectively removing the old server.
>
> TIA,
> Dylan

0
coercitas (11)
5/16/2005 12:58:43 PM
You have it right.  I would like to have documentation to support what I
want to do.  Specifically, what I've found in my research references
Exchange 2000 and I am using Exchange 2003.

"Coercitas" <coercitas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm not quite sure to understand perfectly what you want to do but for
> what
> I read in your post, I think you currently have an Exchange Server acting
> as
> a DC too and now, you want to move Exchange Service to another server and
> leave DC as it is, without Exchange role, am I right ?
>
> If so, all you have to do is installing Exchange 2K3 (same organisation)
> on
> the new machine, bring it to last upgrades available and then, move
> mailboxes and public folders to the new one. At this point, you have tow
> Exchange servers, one with data and the other without anything and acting
> as
> the DC. All you have to do is removing Exchange from previous machine and
> you're done...
>
> I don't understand where is the problem, do I miss something ?
>

> "Dylan Taylor" <dtaylor@crimelab.org> a �crit dans le message de news:
> OqkMFZWWFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> What is the best practice for moving an exchange 2003 server that is
>> currently installed on a DC?  I've recently gotten an approval to
>> purchase
>> another server soloely for exchange.  The backups seem to be fine and I'd
>> like to uninstall the current server because I don't have a lot of
>> confidence in it.  From my understanding there have been a number of
>> in-place upgrades and most importantly, there is only a gig of hard drive
>> space left on the drive where exchange is installed.  What I'm looking
>> for
>> is documentation and experience on installing another server,
> synchronizing
>> the servers and then effectively removing the old server.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Dylan

0
dylant (2)