Exchange 2003 Question #6

What would be the implications of installing an Exchange 2003 server on my
network, when an Exchange 2000 server already exists?

TIA,

James

A part of the Installation and setup process is to prepare AD for the
Exchange implementation (forestprep and domainprep).  If you are
attempting to install Exchange into the same AD, then it would assume
that the same Exchange Org will be used for the new installation of
Exchange, causing the 2 to be semi connected (also would depend on
site configuration, etc)

When you are mentioning "on my network" - are we assuming that you are
using the same AD for Exchange?

Only one Exchange organization can exist within an AD forest.

http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-2003/Setup-Upgrade/sectionID/1032

C. Smith
Enso Technologies, Incorporated
http://www.ensotech.com

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:59:51 +0100, "James Duffy"
<jasduffy_nospam_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What would be the implications of installing an Exchange 2003 server on my
>network, when an Exchange 2000 server already exists?
>
>TIA,
>
>James

Christopher Smith
csmith@ensotech.com
Enso Technologies, Incorporated
http://www.ensotech.com

0
csmith6515 (48)
6/7/2006 12:23:08 PM
Hi James,

Do you plan on installing this exchange server in the same domain or forest
as the other Exchange server?
If so the implications are not too drastic, you will be sharing SMTP
namespace/s, and directory (AD)

Regards

Ben Hoffman
Microsoft MVP - Exchange
http://www.exchangeis.com

"James Duffy" <jasduffy_nospam_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What would be the implications of installing an Exchange 2003 server on my
> network, when an Exchange 2000 server already exists?
>
> TIA,
>
> James

0
ben.hoffman (411)
6/7/2006 12:25:43 PM
Christopher,

Am I right in thinking that if I install Exchange 2003 on a member server in
the same domain as the Exchange 2000 server, they could work together?

James

"C. Smith" <csmith@ensotech.com> wrote in message
>A part of the Installation and setup process is to prepare AD for the
> Exchange implementation (forestprep and domainprep).  If you are
> attempting to install Exchange into the same AD, then it would assume
> that the same Exchange Org will be used for the new installation of
> Exchange, causing the 2 to be semi connected (also would depend on
> site configuration, etc)
>
> When you are mentioning "on my network" - are we assuming that you are
> using the same AD for Exchange?
>
> Only one Exchange organization can exist within an AD forest.
>
> http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-2003/Setup-Upgrade/sectionID/1032
>

> C. Smith
> Enso Technologies, Incorporated
> http://www.ensotech.com
>

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:59:51 +0100, "James Duffy"
> <jasduffy_nospam_@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What would be the implications of installing an Exchange 2003 server on my
>>network, when an Exchange 2000 server already exists?
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>James
>>
> Christopher Smith
> csmith@ensotech.com
> Enso Technologies, Incorporated
> http://www.ensotech.com

Yes this can be done.

It is actually a very common upgrade method if you don't want to do an
in-place upgrade.

Here is the Microsoft documentation on the swing upgrade method:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821896/en-us

Regards

Ben Hoffman

Microsoft MVP - Exchange