Exchange 2003 on new hardware

I don't want to keep the same name.  I just want to move my current exchange
installation over to new hardware.  Where is a good guide for this?

Everywhere I read says to "move" the mailboxes as a first step.  Will this
cause users to not be able to get their e-mail?  I have been running
ntbackup on Exchange; is this a sufficient backup if things go very wrong?
I am totally clueless on what to do... any/all help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,
-Steven-

0
me8028 (83)

Close.  The first step is to build the new server and install Exchange!
You're definitely on the right track.  Doing it the way you're suggesting is
the easiest, least risky, and involves the least work, downtime, and weekend
and off-hours work.
http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm

--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Steven Platt" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I don't want to keep the same name.  I just want to move my current
>exchange installation over to new hardware.  Where is a good guide for
>this?
>
> Everywhere I read says to "move" the mailboxes as a first step.  Will this
> cause users to not be able to get their e-mail?  I have been running
> ntbackup on Exchange; is this a sufficient backup if things go very wrong?
> I am totally clueless on what to do... any/all help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> -Steven-

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Outlook 2003 #108
I receive the following error messages when sending mail using Outlook: "Can't contact LDAP Directory Server (81)" Encryption problems "Microsoft Office Outlook had problems encrypting this message because the following recipients had missing or invalid certificates or conflicting encryption capabilities: Marjorie.Walters@state.sd.us Continue will encrypt and send message but the listed recipients may not be able to read it. Microsoft Office Word: "An error occured in the underlying security system." "LDAP Directory is unavailable (52)" How ...

Outlook 2003 Newsgroups and Business Manager
Hi, I've Outlook 2003 and I tried to use it to read newsgroups, using the customize in the menu bar and putting the option news on the go menu. It worked, but only the first time. The optino news now disapeared from the menu go, and from the customize. Where it go? I tried to repair and don't fix. Another thing is the Business Manager that I installed I think version beta, that crashes often, but I imagine that we can't have a solution on that without more info. Thanks Joao Bras Hi - I have the identical application - and the identical problem. I used the following work-arou...

XML and PivotTables on Excel 2003
Hi, I've got an enormous XML file I'm attempting analyze through pivot tables. For small versions of the file, I can load the whole thing into the worksheet, and construct a Pivot table from the list. But I have a file that is large enough to go far beyond the worksheet size limitations in Excel (64K rows). I've tried loading my XML into Access, but that doesn't seem to give me anything meaningful. (It seems to remove the hierarchy from the XML). I'd like an "XML Datasource" option to Pivot table, but that doesn't seem to be available. Can anyone gi...

Unable to import contacts to new computer
I've exported contacts and e-mails to pst folders on my old computer, when trying to import to Outlook on the new computer I get an error message that access is denied. I'm the administrator on both systems. Neither system appears to have Exchange on them (all articles say to change permission properties in exchange). How do I move my information from one computer to another at this point?? Make sure the .PST file isn't marked read-only. If it's on a CD, move it to your hard drive and remove the read-only attribute. Look here for all the information you need on bac...

Transfering my money plus program to a new computer?
I bought my Money Plus on line last September. I need to move it and its backup files to a notebook for traveling. I have the codes etc. and hoped to be able to simply go to the "digital river" site noted on my bill. That site bounces??? Any ideas how i can move my program to my notebook on line. I did not buy a disk, I bought it on-line ( wish I hadn't done that! ) any help appreciated. thanks Rich When you downloaded from the DR website did you save to your hard disk? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or h...

Money 2006 and adding new bank accounts
I just loaded Money Deluxe 2006 and when I try to add a bank account for the Hudson Valley Credit Union, Money links me to the MSN Billpay website instead of asking to provide the sign-in information for the Credit Union. Also, the same thing happens when I try to add an account for Visions Federal Credit Union as well. HELP Thanks much ...

2 Workflows
I need to create a workflow that, when a field is populated in one entity, will create an Alert prompt to the user as a reminder that they need to edit a field on another entity. And I would also like to know how to create a workflow that will, when a field is populated in one entity, create a new record for another (related) entity. Is this possible? Thank you very much. On Aug 17, 6:49=A0am, Bernardina <d...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to create a workflow that, when a field is populated in one entity= , > will create an Alert prompt to the user as a reminde...

Exchange / AD bug in limits?
I want to remove a user's access to sending/receiving email. In the user's Active Directory account, I set the sending/receiving limits to 0kb. This prevents the user from receiving email, from the internet and from authenticated users. This *DOES NOT* prevent the user from sending email. This *DOES* allow the user to send *as large of an email* as they want. 10TB if they wanted to. I've tested this on two separate Exchange servers in separate non-connected domains. Duplicate results. The next method for preventing a user from sending mail is to try recipient limits. ...

R4 ds/dsi firmware-drivers de R4 Sdhc. R4 ultra, R4 new, R4 III upgrade, R4 v3
Hola,, aqui teneis una web donde encontre una recopilacion de firmware o drivers de las R4 Sdhc ,R4 Ultra,R4 New, R4 III Upgrade. R4 Dsi, R4 ui. http://www.r4spain.com/tienda Pinchas en el enlace de arriba y en la parte inferior izda haces click en el boton DESCARGAR, aparecera un menu con muchos driver para distintas R4 DS. Espero que os sirva de ayuda. Saludetes Gorka ...

new computer #7
Hi all, please help I am setting up a new computer , please how do I save all my Outlook Express settings to a disk and load them on my new one Thanks DAVE http://djmp.co.uk/ You should ask the experts in the Outlook Express newsgroup. Outlook and Outlook Express are completely different programs. Tom "DAVE PRICE" <dave@djmp.co.uk> wrote in message news:46043a63$1_2@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com... | Hi all, please help | | I am setting up a new computer , please how do I save all my Outlook Express | settings to a disk and load them on my new one | | Thanks | ...

New Outlook Toolbar problem
I have set up a new tool bar called GTD and have placed several commands on it (e.g. move to folder, custom flag, etc.). It works fine when set-up but when I close outlook and reopen the toolbar either disappears or has missing icons. Is there anyway to keep the toolbar permanately or at least to ensure that it stays or does not become modified? Not to sure if it can be saved either? Thanks Kita Toolbar issues belong to the programmers of the toolbar. If they don't = program the toolbars correctly, you will consistently see this issue. I = would contact the makers of Getting Things...

Extract and count unique entries in a list (Excel 2003)
I have a list of items (all text strings, but some rows are blank) in column A. I want to extract a list of all the unique text strings and to count how many occurrences there are of each one. I've had a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique but it doesn't quite do what I want. Any help would be gratefully received. Gavin Hi if this is a one-time operation try to use 'Data - filter - Advanced Filter' and check 'Unique entries' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag n...

Exchange tabs missing on 2 other 2003 DC's
I have a simple question (I hope) I used to have a 2000 GC with exchange 2000 on it. I have now moved to a 2003 domain and have migrated to Exchange 2003. This is all on 1 server, and I know "now" that having the GC on the Exchange server is not a good idea (but we all make due on a limited budget). I have just recently added 2 DC in a hope to move the GC off of the exchange server. Here is my question: Why are the Exchange tabs missing from the 2 other DC’s? I was under the impression that I did not have to install the Exchange management tools on the other DC’s. If this...

Can I Edit The View In Outlook 2003 CalendarTo Be A Six Day Week
I know the choices up top are for a five and seven day week, but I'd like to see Monday through Saturday excluding just Sunday. Can I customize the view and am just missing it? TIA! On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:08:17 -0500, Pulu wrote: >I know the choices up top are for a five and seven day week, but I'd >like to see Monday through Saturday excluding just Sunday. Can I >customize the view and am just missing it? > >TIA! Think I got it, Alt-6! I'll try the Alt+6, but I usually have four days in my calendar view, and I highlight the range of days in the...

New Iterm Alert for IMAP in Outlook 2007 Sp2
I am using Outlook 2007 SP2 on a Windows XP Professional Platform.I am syncing my gmail account with Outlook using IMAP.I have also set up the below rule to alert me when a new mail arrives in my gmail account: 'Apply this rule after the message arrives through the pc@gmail.com account and on this machine only play chimes.wav and display New Mail in the New Item Alert Window.' I do get the New Item Alerts pop up window when i recieve new mails in gmail but when i click on ‘Open item’ in this window it gives me the following message: ‘The item cannot be opened.It...

SBS and Exchange Router
Hi everyone, I am installing CRM on a SBS machine. during the exchange router installation I should specify the website for the instalation and the installation directory. In the MOC they are using the Mircosoft CRM Version 1.2 as the website (IIS) and C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM as the installation directory for the installation of the exchange router, but this will override the files installed by MSCRM???? because during MSCRM installation we also specify the Mircosoft CRM Version 1.2 as the website (IIS) and C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM as the installation directory. could u hel...

Migrating to Exchange 2003 Test
I am trying to go to Exchange 2003 (test environment) Here is my senerio Ser-1 Domain controler AD & global catalog server (W2K) Ser-2 Exchange-2000 with restored database (W2K) Ser-3 Exchange-2003 (W2K3) did run forestprep and domainprep before I installed Exchange 2003 no errors. I am always logged on as administrator to the domain on any server, & al Exchange services are running. Problem: No event log errors system or Application on any server Ser-2 I can see the mailboxes from Ser-2 and Ser-3 Ser-3 I can see the mailboxes from Ser-3 but not from Ser-2 The info. store is not moun...

Exchange 2003 #20
I'm using Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 on a W2k Server to backup Exchange 2003. I am unable to get a backup of our Public folders and and mailboxes. When the Public Folders get backed-up it tells me that there are 67 corrupt files. It then backs-up the mailboxes and tells me that 10,751 files were skipped and 1 file was corrupt. All other backups ok fine and are successful. How can I get a backups of our mailboxes and public folders? It this an issue with Veritas backup exec or Exchange? This has only occured since I migrated from exchange 2000 to 2003 Cheers Did you install all Verita...

Faster Exchange Performance?
Hello all! I just installed Exchange 2003 into my organization, and moved all of my 5.5 mail boxes to it. I am trying to optimize my Exchange 2003 Server as much as I can. It's a Dell Dual P4 with 2 Gig of Ram, and a Hardware Raid 5 with 2 Logical Drive (C: and D:). I have all of my exchsrv data on the D: Drive, and my First Storage Group is already at 22 Gigs (We are a library, and all email must be maintained for 5 years because it's public record). Do you think if I made additional Storage Groups on the D: and move mail boxes into them, Id see some performance increases? How m...

Why does "windows in taskbar" not work in excel 2003
I am running Excel 2003 on WindowsXP Pro and the Windows in Taskbar does not work. Sometimes the Excel icon in the taskbar will disapear when you click on it; I have to click Alt+Tab in order to see and get to the open Excel session at that point. I ran Excel /regserver and Detect and repair and no luck. Try: Tools > Options > View and ensure Windows In Taskbar is checked. HTH hey DNA, Thanks for the reply but it doesn't work. basically when I turn it off and apply and then switch it back on it works but when Excel is closed and reopend, it no longer works. Anybody? &...

how do i transfer existing excel macros to a new computer?
I have Excel 2000 with some macros. I'm getting a new computer and don't know how to get the macros transferred to the new pc. Likely, they are stored in your personal.xls file. You can search for it and copy it to the new PC. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "rwr2333" <rwr2333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F95693C-8048-4B1A-9115-8733F0ECE9C4@microsoft.com... > I have Excel 2000 with some macros. I'm getting a new computer and don't > know how to get the macros transferred to the new pc. Macros live in wor...

Can't install new report service server
Hi, We occured one problem when install crm3. Our enviroment is win2003 sp1,sql2005. When running setup program "Install new report service server" option is grey. But in our sql server there is no report services installed.There is vs2005 installed on this computer.And I notice asp.net version is 2.0.Is that cause by asp.net 2. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Cheers, Kevin When you have SQL Server 2005, you will need to install the report server that comes with SQL Server 2005 and have the Microsoft CRM v3.0 attach to it. The Report Services is an option with SQL Server...

Exchange 2003 computer account
I am running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 network (AD). One of my admins was trying to test the exchange restore, but he screwed up. He setup a test network, isolated from production network. He tried to do restore from tape, etc, etc. I still don't know exactly what he did, but our production exchange is not part of network anymore.. I notice the Exchange server name was missing from Exchange Domain Servers groups in AD. So I added back in. The computer name is still in AD. However we cannot login into Exchange server into domain. When I try to do that, I get a message that says: Window...

Unable to send new mail in OWA- new message button not working
Hi, we are having problem when users are trying to use OWA on Exchange 2003. The problem is that we can not write new message or do reply on old messages. When we press new message nothing is happening. I think that the problem is on the server side because we have tried from different client PC's (different OS - XP, Vista, 7) with different web browsers ( IE 6,7, Firefox, Opera). Only in IE 6 I have managed to write new message but when you press send the message disappears.In the down left corner I get the message Page error The server is Exchange 2003 Standard with SP2 and al...

Outlook 2000 vs 2003
We have a bunch of public folders that our Outlook 2000 users have had no problems seeing or using the views (on an exchange 2003 server). Recently a few random people sometime cannot display a particular public folder, or the view won't filter properly. If you use 2003 under the same account, the everything works perfectly What's the scoop? -Rob T. ...