Exchange 2003 not receiving mail

I have installed exchange 2003 on our network and I am receiving mail from
about 50% of our customers/vendors. They get no errors back when sending
and I see nothing on our servers side to indicate a problem.
It always takes about 5 minutes to receive any messages that come through,
which isn't a big deal but it seems like that should be faster.
We also just moved to a new ISP and have a full T1 connection so the
connection shouldn't be a problem. Today I had them add a reverse DNS
record for our ip because I have read that some servers use that as a spam
blocker. I am not sure how that would effect our incoming mail, but I am
grasping for straws here.
Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for.
We had exchange 2000 before and it always seemed to work good. Then we
upgraded our domain and exchange to 2003, and have had problems since (I
know alot of updates at on time, but the boss didn't give us anytime to
test it, wanted it all updated  by the end of the year).
Please let me know what to look for and where to look.
Thank you for your time.
-Jesse
0
jwiener3 (2)

I would definitely make sure your ISP has everything set correctly.  Have
you checked every DNS record to insure its correct, www.dnsstuff.com?  I
have seen strange issues such as the ISP having to reboot a router to get
email to work correctly.  After you have insured the ISP is not the culprit,
then start with Exchange.  Try turning up Diagnostic Logging and checking
your event viewer.  Make sure your Firewall settings are correct.

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

"Jesse" <jwiener3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have installed exchange 2003 on our network and I am receiving mail from
> about 50% of our customers/vendors. They get no errors back when sending
> and I see nothing on our servers side to indicate a problem.
> It always takes about 5 minutes to receive any messages that come through,
> which isn't a big deal but it seems like that should be faster.
> We also just moved to a new ISP and have a full T1 connection so the
> connection shouldn't be a problem. Today I had them add a reverse DNS
> record for our ip because I have read that some servers use that as a spam
> blocker. I am not sure how that would effect our incoming mail, but I am
> grasping for straws here.
> Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for.
> We had exchange 2000 before and it always seemed to work good. Then we
> upgraded our domain and exchange to 2003, and have had problems since (I
> know alot of updates at on time, but the boss didn't give us anytime to
> test it, wanted it all updated  by the end of the year).
> Please let me know what to look for and where to look.
> Thank you for your time.
> -Jesse

0
jcoliverjr (1013)
12/23/2003 10:39:56 PM
John,
Thanks for the help I am pretty sure that it is the DNS we tried checking
all that, but that site is VERY useful, and I think that we ironed out
the issues. We will have to wait and see.
Thank you again for all the help.
-Jesse

"John Oliver, Jr. \(MVP\)" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I would definitely make sure your ISP has everything set correctly.
> Have you checked every DNS record to insure its correct,
> www.dnsstuff.com?  I have seen strange issues such as the ISP having
> to reboot a router to get email to work correctly.  After you have
> insured the ISP is not the culprit, then start with Exchange.  Try
> turning up Diagnostic Logging and checking your event viewer.  Make
> sure your Firewall settings are correct.

0
jwiener3 (2)

turn off automatic hyperlink Publisher 2003
How do I avoid automatic formatting of e-mail addresses to stupid blue type with stupid underlining? High-light the email, Insert, Hyperlink, Remove Link. -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E198309-1F6A-46F2-94A5-C12D64C7452E@microsoft.com... > How do I avoid automatic formatting of e-mail addresses to stupid blue type > with stupid underlining? Or you could change your color scheme to a custom color scheme, and change the hyperlink (and followed hyperlink) color to match your ...

sendkeys action requires utility add in access 2003
I Know that this has been asked before. My question is why it will not pop up on one computer but will on another. The same actions being performed. Any input will be helpful. Thanks Craig "Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A3A76CB-9556-4B9D-B85E-39F13771D0C8@microsoft.com... >I Know that this has been asked before. My question is why it will not >pop > up on one computer but will on another. The same actions being performed. > Any input will be helpful. > > Thanks Craig You'll have to give a few more details a...

Migrating exchange mailboxes
HI All, I need to transfer exchange 2000 from one server to another on the same network. As I have about 50 users on the server, which is the best/fastest method to achieve this? thanks and regards GB If corporate mode Outlook users and you have some time to wait before sunsetting the original server, then move mailbox from the Exchange task wizard would be my choice. "GB" <gianni@compulogics.com.au> wrote in message news:%23wgAlZ8kEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > HI All, > > I need to transfer exchange 2000 from one server to another on the same > ne...

Outlook 2003
Is there a way to lock Outlook down, so that only the email features are available to users? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ...

EXCHANGE 2003 and VISA Ultimate
I am having an issue running Exchange connected to a VISTA machine and wondering if anyone can guide me on this. I have three servers in my network, one running the server files and SQL, one running Exchange and one running backups. All are 2003 Enterprise. My desktop is running VISTA Ultimate, and to date have had no issues that could to be handled. Today, however, while I am still receiving email I cannot send anything through OUTLOOK 2007 with getting a message saying that I am not authorized to send mail. This has been working fine to date, so a little confused as to what is happen...

2003 wont send new mail from default account
I am running Office Pro 2003 SP1 I have read several postings and accept that Outlook will reply to mails via the account the was received from. However, i have added a new account and set it as default, but mail still gets sent from my other account. This even happens when i select the account from within the new mail... the message says 'This message will be sent via mail.mydefaultdomain.com'.. but its actually gets sent via the non default account.. How do i sort this as it is really annoying.. On 19 Jan 2005 14:44:35 -0800, Winshent wrote: > I am running Office Pro 2003 SP1...

Can't delete additional "Personel Folders Outlook 2003
I followed a backup procedure form MS Office site that said to check the resulting PST file by opening in Outlook. I did it twice. Well, it created two other "Personal Folder" at the bottom of the Mail/All Mail Folders pane that I cannot delete. I moved or deleted the two backed up PST files so there is no data for the folders to relate to. How can I get rid of these erroneous folders? Gary Create a new mail profile - yours is now corrupt. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here)...

Business Contact Manager 2003 Database Update
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C3962C.16F7ECA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear All, I have what I believe a serious problem here. I have been using Outlook = 2003 with Business Contact Manager when it was in Beta 2 and even after = the Technical Refresh. Now, after both are released, I need to use the = BCM database that I have populated. The problem is that the database = cannot be backed up and then restored to the RTM BCM. It keeps telling = me that the version is differen...

moving Exchange 2003 mailboxes from multiple domains to one new do
My compnay has Exchange servers in three different domains. We have built a new domain and want to move all mailboxes into one exchange server in the new domain. We have let mailbox size get out of hand and some users have 2GB mailbox size. exporting old mailbox data to PST and importing into new exchange server is possible but would take forever (hundreds of users). any ideas how to streamline this process? or an alternate method of attack? On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:24:06 -0700, Kemper <Kemper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My compnay has Exchange servers in three different d...

Can I convert an Outlook 2000 PST to Outlook 2003
We have upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. Is there a fast way to convert my old PST files to Outlook 2003 so that they are not limited to 2 GB size? I don't want to have to go through all of the folders on 30 computers and drag one folder at a time from the old file to the new file. Thanks, Joe I have had pretty good luck importing. Of course, when you import, you = will no longer have access to any custom forms, views, or Rules Wizard = rules.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.h...

Exchange Failover Options
I am trying to find the best method to create a active/passive senario like with clustering, except not using clustering. I have two Exchange servers in two Active Directory sites, one that is our active server and one that is a disaster recovery server (passive). Does anyone know of a good way to provide failover support so that if the primary were to fail, the secondary could be activated and have the current email information? Thanks Try Double Take. "EGrub" wrote: > I am trying to find the best method to create a active/passive senario like > with clustering, exc...

Outlook Epxress 2003 (SBE)
Hi, This program keeps hanging on loading . Can anyone help me out ? Rohit rohit_chandni wrote: > This program keeps hanging on loading . Can anyone help me out ? > Rohit, Outlook or Outlook Express? -- f.h. Hi F.H, It is Outlook Express 2003 (Small Business Edition). Can you help me out on this ? Rgds, Rohit "F.H. Muffman" wrote: > rohit_chandni wrote: > > This program keeps hanging on loading . Can anyone help me out ? > > > > Rohit, > > Outlook or Outlook Express? > > -- > f.h. > > > Outlook Express is pa...

Exchange & SMTP Logs
Hello, I am fairly new at Exchange 2003, I have a strong un*x background and have been using sendmail for quite sometime. I was wondering about log files with exchange. I have enabled SMTP logging which shows SMTP connections, where do I find the log that shows why an email has been rejected? Thanks! Chris c:\windows\system32\logfiles\ -- Thanks, Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP www.briandesmond.com "Chris Edwards" <chris@buythetruck.com> wrote in message news:Oh$LtTsSGHA.2088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I am fairly new at Exchange 2003, I ha...

Changing Outlook from Exchange Services to IMO version
How can you reinstall Office 2000 and change the Outlook "type" from using Exchange/Internet Mail to Internet Mail Only (IMO)? I uninstalled my version of Office2000 and reinstalled it from my CD. However it doesn't give me the option to install the IMO version of Outlook. It installed the Exchange/Internet Mail automatically. Without an exchange server the checking of email is dog-slow. Thanks, Alex Moylen Hi, Alex. Alex Moylen ha scritto: > How can you reinstall Office 2000 and change the Outlook > "type" from using Exchange/Internet Mail to Internet Mail ...

Moving public folders on Exchange 5.5 to a new server in the same site.
All, I have 2 exchange 5.5 servers in the same site. I'm going to shut the orignal one down soon. What is the best way to move the public folders over to the public store on the new server? -- FastEddie Rockwell ---------------------------------- Check us out at: www.therockwells.net ----------------------------------- "Fast Eddie" <fasteddie@therockwells.net.no.spam.com> wrote in news:#1VO4cH$DHA.4072@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: > I have 2 exchange 5.5 servers in the same site. I'm going to shut the > orignal one down soon. What is the best way to move the publ...

Exchange 2000/2003 Routing Problems
I recently added a new Exchange 2003 server to our 1 server Exchange 2000 org. I am able to send mail from the new Exchange 2003 server to the 2000 server. But when I send to the 2003 server the mail does not go delivered. I am assuming this is a routing issue. How can I troubleshoot this? Should each server be in a seperate routing group and use a routing group connector? They are currently i n the same routing group. Thanks, Forest In case anyone has this problem my STMP connector was setup to use a smart relay. I had to check the box that said attempt local delivery before using...

junk mail #6
I'd like to copy the "junk mail folder" e-mail addresses to another folder outside of outlook. Is there a way to export all the e-mail addresses in the "junk mail folder", or Are these addresses kept in a folder in some Microsoft Office directory that can be accessed. ...

bad mail folder #3
Every day I have thousands of email in the bad mail folder. The ones that I am concerend with is the ones that are address to old employees who no longer work here and who no longer have a sign on. I have turned recipent filtering on, so why are the emails being excepted in only to be rejected and now getting NDR to go back to the sender (which is spam). Thank you What version of Exchange? You can strip the attachment from NDRs if it's Exchange 2000 SP2 or higher, per http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308303 Another technique you can use is to create a distribution list with no members...

Bellsouth.net mail not coming into OL2007
I have been having problems with my bellsouth.net mail coming into OL2007. Some of the messages make it to OL2007 but not all. I spent 4 hours on the phone with att.net trying to fix the problem and it seemed to be working after we disabled all of the startup programs through msconfig, but this morning I see in webmail that there are messages that aren't coming to OL2007. The send/receive is just hanging up. Any help is appreciated. You should not change any windows files on the advice of att. Startup files have nothing to do with Outlook. You must have an error in your account or c...

OL03 and Exch 03 with Mail Marshal
Does anyone know if Mail Marshal (or other filtering s/ware) can add the SCL Rating or another marker to emails so that Outlook 03 can automatically put them into the junk mail folder? If so, can the Junk mail settings in Outlook be set by Group Policy or do they need to be pre-done when we upgrade the PC's? cheers Martin ...

Incoming mails from another external domain are lost
Hi, I have a Exchange Front-End & Back-End combination. Front-End Server also has SMTP Relay server and Intelligent Message Filtering. Front-end server is in a DMZ Zone. I have a pix firewall. I got a peculiar problem. One user has complained me saying he has not received a email sent from another company (external domain say xyz.com). I have checked the server logs and the filtered spam emails. I could not see any email from xyz.com in the server logs. Also the sender from xyz.com did not receive any NDR for this mail also. Can anybody help me on this? Regards Ganapathy Is the...

Exch/Outlook 2003 Delegates
I have an Exchange 2003 Standard Server with Outlook 2003 clients. My users have noticed that they cannot properly assign delegates. They can choose delegates and assign the permissions normally, but when they quit and restart Outlook, the delegates are there but with "None" as their permissions. What might cause this? Hi Tim, Thank you for posting here. According to the information in your post, I suggest you use the following message to trouble shoot this issue: 1. New Outlook profile ============= Please create a new profile to isolate the issue. For the steps on how to cr...

Exchange 2003 gagging on mass mailing
There have been a couple of occasions when clients have not used distribution lists or bcc and stuffed hundreds of addresses in the To: field. When they send, I've noticed my XP desktop locking and my Outlook 2003 client "not responding" for a few seconds. Exchange is relaying all external mail through a local campus server. One instance resulted in the relay server rejecting based on a header size limit, but the latest instance was a text email with no attachments send to ~ 400 recipients. I have set a 500 recipient limit on the Exchange server and contacted the users a...

Trying to mail merge to email
I set up a mail merge but when I tried to finish the merge to an e-mail that icon was grayed out. Does anyone know why this would be? You need to have Entourage set as your default email program. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 1/12/10 1:39 PM, in article 5F41ACE6-2801-46E7-ABCD-2C5D0EE1EC86@microsoft.com, "Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I set up a mail merge but when I tried to finish the merge to an e-mail that > icon was grayed out. Does anyone know why this would be? Entourage is not your default email progr...

Incorrect printing of Visio 2003 drawings in Word 2003
I got the error described in KB 827865 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827865&Product=visio2003 with Visio 2003 and Word 2003, in Embedded Visio Objects as well as in placed .emf files or copy/pasted images using Enhanced Metafile format and all this while using just normal latin characters. I do already use current drivers and the problem appears when creating PDFs as well as when printing to a PostScript printer. Any help would be very much appreciated! Matthias Have you tried inserting them as Word Drawing objects? That works best for me. Randall Arnold ...