I have just setup a new Windows Server 2003 standard edition with
Exchange 2003 standard edition on it. I have been working for a while
trying to get it to receive external email. I can send out and send/
receive internal messages, but when someone trys to send me a message
from outside our network they get the following returned mail message

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail
server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine
why
each recipient was rejected.

    Recipient: <*********@mair.aero>
    Reason:    5.7.1 Unable to relay for *********@mair.aero

I have gone throught the DNS settings with my provider and I know the
firewall has the appropriate settings. I have the firewall managed by
my internet provider. I have read through many postings and tutorials
trying to get this working. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have
been dealing with this for a while.

On Apr 27, 2:21 pm, zachms <zach.schaff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just setup a new Windows Server 2003 standard edition with
> Exchange 2003 standard edition on it. I have been working for a while
> trying to get it to receive external email. I can send out and send/
> receive internal messages, but when someone trys to send me a message
> from outside our network they get the following returned mail message
>
> This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>
> Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail
> server.
> The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine
> why
> each recipient was rejected.
>
>     Recipient: <******...@mair.aero>
>     Reason:    5.7.1 Unable to relay for ******...@mair.aero
>
> I have gone throught the DNS settings with my provider and I know the
> firewall has the appropriate settings. I have the firewall managed by
> my internet provider. I have read through many postings and tutorials
> trying to get this working. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have
> been dealing with this for a while.

download this tool from Microsoft smtpdiag

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BC1881C7-925D-4A29-BD42-71E8563C80A9&displaylang=en

run the tool from cmd

type any email account and type an email account from your exchange
company "******...@mair.aero" . The tool will give you details where
the problem is.

maybe you can post them and i can help you.

On 27 Apr 2007 12:21:12 -0700, zachms <zach.schaffner@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have just setup a new Windows Server 2003 standard edition with
>Exchange 2003 standard edition on it. I have been working for a while
>trying to get it to receive external email. I can send out and send/
>receive internal messages, but when someone trys to send me a message
>from outside our network they get the following returned mail message
>
>This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>
>Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail
>server.
>The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine
>why
>each recipient was rejected.
>
>    Recipient: <*********@mair.aero>
>    Reason:    5.7.1 Unable to relay for *********@mair.aero
>
>I have gone throught the DNS settings with my provider and I know the
>firewall has the appropriate settings. I have the firewall managed by
>my internet provider. I have read through many postings and tutorials
>trying to get this working. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have
>been dealing with this for a while.

Check your Domain here:
www.dnsreport.com

Does your gateway accept for that domain?
SMTP domain defined in REcipient Policies on the Exch Server?

0
adavid (8731)
4/27/2007 9:06:16 PM
On Apr 27, 5:06 pm, Andy David  {MVP}
<ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2007 12:21:12 -0700, zachms <zach.schaff...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I have just setup a new Windows Server 2003 standard edition with
> >Exchange 2003 standard edition on it. I have been working for a while
> >trying to get it to receive external email. I can send out and send/
> >receive internal messages, but when someone trys to send me a message
> >from outside our network they get the following returned mail message
>
> >This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>
> >Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail
> >server.
> >The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine
> >why
> >each recipient was rejected.
>
> >    Recipient: <******...@mair.aero>
> >    Reason:    5.7.1 Unable to relay for ******...@mair.aero
>
> >I have gone throught the DNS settings with my provider and I know the
> >firewall has the appropriate settings. I have the firewall managed by
> >my internet provider. I have read through many postings and tutorials
> >trying to get this working. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have
> >been dealing with this for a while.
>
> Check your Domain here:www.dnsreport.com
>
> Does your gateway accept for that domain?
> SMTP domain defined in REcipient Policies on the Exch Server?- Hide quoted text -

I would assume so. Is that something that you can control from within
Windows Server or is that something that would be controlled with
either the router or DNS settings? I have a completely hosted firewall/
router and the device is a sonicwall tz-170. I would figure the
support group that manages the router would know how to properly setup
the device.

On Apr 27, 4:59 pm, robpiolink <roberto.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2:21 pm, zachms <zach.schaff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have just setup a new Windows Server 2003 standard edition with
> > Exchange 2003 standard edition on it. I have been working for a while
> > trying to get it to receive external email. I can send out and send/
> > receive internal messages, but when someone trys to send me a message
> > from outside our network they get the following returned mail message
>
> > This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>
> > Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail
> > server.
> > The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine
> > why
> > each recipient was rejected.
>
> >     Recipient: <******...@mair.aero>
> >     Reason:    5.7.1 Unable to relay for ******...@mair.aero
>
> > I have gone throught the DNS settings with my provider and I know the
> > firewall has the appropriate settings. I have the firewall managed by
> > my internet provider. I have read through many postings and tutorials
> > trying to get this working. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have
> > been dealing with this for a while.
>
> download this tool from Microsoft smtpdiag
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BC1881C7-925...
>
> run the tool from cmd
>
> type any email account and type an email account from your exchange
> company "******...@mair.aero" . The tool will give you details where
> the problem is.
>
> maybe you can post them and i can help you.- Hide quoted text -

Here are the results that I got from running the test.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SmtpDiag>smtpdiag
zschaffne
r@fuse.net zschaffner@mair.aero /v

Searching for Exchange external DNS settings.
Computer name is MAIRSRV01.
VSI 1 has the following external DNS servers:
4.2.2.2

Checking SOA for mair.aero.
Checking external DNS servers.

Checking TCP/UDP SOA serial number using DNS server [4.2.2.2].
TCP test succeeded.
UDP test succeeded.
Serial number: 2007041314
Checking internal DNS servers.

Checking TCP/UDP SOA serial number using DNS server [192.168.0.5].
TCP test succeeded.
UDP test succeeded.
Serial number: 46

Checking TCP/UDP SOA serial number using DNS server [192.168.0.4].
TCP test succeeded.
UDP test succeeded.
Serial number: 46
Serial numbers do not match: 2007041314  46
SOA serial number match: Failed with one or more failures.

Checking local domain records.
Starting TCP and UDP DNS queries for the local domain. This test will
try to
validate that DNS is set up correctly for inbound mail. This test can
fail for
3 reasons.
    1) Local domain is not set up in DNS. Inbound mail cannot be
routed to
local mailboxes.
    2) Firewall blocks TCP/UDP DNS queries. This will not affect
inbound mail,
but will affect outbound mail.
    3) Internal DNS is unaware of external DNS settings. This is a
valid
configuration for certain topologies.
Checking MX records using TCP: fuse.net.
  MX:    mx3.fuse.net (10)
  MX:    mx4.fuse.net (10)
  MX:    mx1.fuse.net (10)
  MX:    mx2.fuse.net (10)
Checking MX records using UDP: fuse.net.
  MX:    mx3.fuse.net (10)
  MX:    mx4.fuse.net (10)
  MX:    mx1.fuse.net (10)
  MX:    mx2.fuse.net (10)
  A:     mx3.fuse.net [216.68.8.213]
  A:     mx4.fuse.net [216.68.8.214]
  A:     mx1.fuse.net [216.68.8.211]
  A:     mx2.fuse.net [216.68.8.212]
Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Local DNS test passed.

Checking remote domain records.
Starting TCP and UDP DNS queries for the remote domain. This test will
try to
validate that DNS is set up correctly for outbound mail. This test can
fail for
3 reasons.
    1) Firewall blocks TCP/UDP queries which will block outbound mail.
Windows
2000/NT Server requires TCP DNS queries. Windows Server 2003 will use
UDP
queries first, then fall back to TCP queries.
    2) Internal DNS does not know how to query external domains. You
must
either use an external DNS server or configure DNS server to query
external
domains.
    3) Remote domain does not exist. Failure is expected.
Checking MX records using TCP: mair.aero.
  MX:    mairsrv01.mair.aero (10)
  A:     mairsrv01.mair.aero [192.168.0.4]
  A:     mairsrv01.mair.aero [192.168.0.5]
Checking MX records using UDP: mair.aero.
  MX:    mairsrv01.mair.aero (10)
Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Remote DNS test passed.

Checking MX servers listed for zschaffner@mair.aero.
Connecting to mairsrv01.mair.aero [192.168.0.5] on port 25.
6.0.3790.0 ready
at  Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:16:09 -0400

Sent:
ehlo fuse.net