Exchange 2003: Missing emails

Hello,

Strange problem, not sure if anyone else experiencing:

We are running Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2000 SP4.  A manager came to me
and asked where some files had gone in their folders.  I checked through
their mailbox, and sure enough the emails that had been filed away were
missing.  Checking through the backups, the email was last in the folder
about 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone know how i would audit what has happened here?  i am not asking
what has happened to these emails, but moreso who has accessed this mailbox,
and when, in the last 2 weeks,

thanks in advance

0
bleh (3)

John-

Did your manager turn on auto archiving? Look on their PC for an archive.pst
file in their profile.

--
Thanks,
Brian Desmond

www.briandesmond.com

"John Smith" <bleh@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>

> Strange problem, not sure if anyone else experiencing:
>
> We are running Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2000 SP4.  A manager came to
> me
> and asked where some files had gone in their folders.  I checked through
> their mailbox, and sure enough the emails that had been filed away were
> missing.  Checking through the backups, the email was last in the folder
> about 2 weeks ago.
>
> Does anyone know how i would audit what has happened here?  i am not
> asking
> what has happened to these emails, but moreso who has accessed this
> mailbox,
> and when, in the last 2 weeks,
>
> thanks in advance

0
desmondb (156)
7/5/2005 3:02:01 AM
He is pretty sure he hasn't auto-archived.

Interestingly if he had auto-archived, the directory tree would have
disappeared.  However the folder structure is still in place, yet the
folders are empty.  I myself are a bit suspicious on where the emails have
gone, but we have recovered them from tape backup anyway.

This does raise the point from my manager, that where did they go?  why did
they go?

It could be something to do with Exchange, or he could have deleted them and
forgotten.  Is there any way to turn on auditing for individual mailboxes?

cheers

"Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
> John-
>
> Did your manager turn on auto archiving? Look on their PC for an
archive.pst
> file in their profile.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
>
> www.briandesmond.com
>

> "John Smith" <bleh@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >

> > Strange problem, not sure if anyone else experiencing:
> >
> > We are running Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2000 SP4.  A manager came to
> > me
> > and asked where some files had gone in their folders.  I checked through
> > their mailbox, and sure enough the emails that had been filed away were
> > missing.  Checking through the backups, the email was last in the folder
> > about 2 weeks ago.
> >
> > Does anyone know how i would audit what has happened here?  i am not
> > asking
> > what has happened to these emails, but moreso who has accessed this
> > mailbox,
> > and when, in the last 2 weeks,
> >
> > thanks in advance

0
bleh (3)

multiple email addressess ?
how can we store multiple email addresses for one contact. i only see option for one add..? Hi, There are three email attributes in contact entity. emailaddress1 is by default added on form. If you want to also want to add other two than open customization form of contacts and add fields named emailaddress2 and emailaddress3. You can add more custome email fields also. You may contact me directly at my email address if you need any help on this. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan Email for direct contact: imumar at gma...

Exchange for remote users/offices
Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe. I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go. Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up as a true Exchange server hosing the mail. But, again, am not sure i want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to. So, is there a way to set up ...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Exchange update problem

Exchange database is corrupted
so our exchange database is apparently corrupted... We don't have enough disk space on the drive in order to do any type of repair/defrag on the database, so we are pretty much screwed right now my question is, if we just delete the database, will all the clients computers re-sync with the exchange server and repopulate the database. Terrible idea i know, but desperate times, call on desperate measures. uh...what version of Exchange? I wouldn't recommend deleting the database/s just yet...if a defrag might help, you can always redirect the temp file to a networked drive wit...

Inconsistent DBASE after doing a restore of Exchange 5.5 Dbase
Tried moving my dying ex 5.5 server to new hardware this weekend and it failed because the restore did not bring over a log file and left the dbase in an inconsistant state. Has any one had this happen to them or heard of this happening. Using Vertias backup Exec 10.d, The error I recieved when I tried to start the dbase after the restore was: EVENT ID 5000, could not start the information store, 0x8004010f in the app log, and in the system log was the info store service terminated wth service specfic error, 2147746063. Another question, since my dbase is 26gb and I can't copy it acros...

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook 2003

hyperlinking email addresses

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup

Exchange 2007 across account search

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Incoming email slow to come in

Exchange clusters
Hello Everyone, I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers. I am going to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3. Which cluster do I install it on first? The active cluster or the passive cluster? Thank you, Most appreciative, Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes? If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the passive node will become the active node. So, it's clear that you should install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive node (which was formerly the active node). -- Ed Crow...

DNS Error on Exchange

Import from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003