Exchange 2003 gagging on mass mailing

There have been a couple of occasions when clients have not used
distribution lists or bcc and stuffed hundreds of addresses in the To:
field.
When they send, I've noticed my XP desktop locking and my Outlook 2003
client "not responding" for a few seconds.  Exchange is relaying all
external mail through a local campus server.

One instance resulted in the relay server rejecting based on a header size
limit, but the latest instance was a text email with no attachments send to
~ 400 recipients. I have set a 500 recipient limit on the Exchange server
and contacted the users about the email faux pas. But I am still surprised
by the response of the server.

Thanks

0
carl2378 (4)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:34:01 -0330, "Carl" <carl@mun.ca> wrote:

>There have been a couple of occasions when clients have not used
>distribution lists or bcc and stuffed hundreds of addresses in the To:
>field.
>When they send, I've noticed my XP desktop locking and my Outlook 2003
>client "not responding" for a few seconds.  Exchange is relaying all
>external mail through a local campus server.
>
>One instance resulted in the relay server rejecting based on a header size
>limit, but the latest instance was a text email with no attachments send to
>~ 400 recipients. I have set a 500 recipient limit on the Exchange server
>and contacted the users about the email faux pas. But I am still surprised
>by the response of the server.
>
>Thanks

So am I. What's the spec of the box?

0
mark7219 (5666)
2/23/2005 5:19:33 PM
Thanks for commenting.

It's a new HPProliant ML350G3, Dual Xeon2.8, 1GB, Ultra3SCSI in Raid 0+1 and
100Mb connection to a cisco switched campus network.
Nothing unusual in the connector logs or the event logs.

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:34:01 -0330, "Carl" <carl@mun.ca> wrote:
>
>>There have been a couple of occasions when clients have not used
>>distribution lists or bcc and stuffed hundreds of addresses in the To:
>>field.
>>When they send, I've noticed my XP desktop locking and my Outlook 2003
>>client "not responding" for a few seconds.  Exchange is relaying all
>>external mail through a local campus server.
>>
>>One instance resulted in the relay server rejecting based on a header size
>>limit, but the latest instance was a text email with no attachments send
>>~ 400 recipients. I have set a 500 recipient limit on the Exchange server
>>and contacted the users about the email faux pas. But I am still surprised
>>by the response of the server.
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> So am I. What's the spec of the box?

0
carl2378 (4)
2/23/2005 5:55:11 PM
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:25:11 -0330, "Carl" <carl@mun.ca> wrote:

>Thanks for commenting.
>
>It's a new HPProliant ML350G3, Dual Xeon2.8, 1GB, Ultra3SCSI in Raid 0+1 and
>100Mb connection to a cisco switched campus network.
>Nothing unusual in the connector logs or the event logs.

That's a beefy box all right. There are a couple of cases that might
cause a box to drag its heels but what you've described isn't one of
them.
Best thing for you is to go back to sys admin basics and perf log the
box to see what's chewing resources
0
mark7219 (5666)
2/23/2005 6:23:08 PM
"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in

[Carl]

|| Thanks for commenting.
|| It's a new HPProliant ML350G3, Dual Xeon2.8, 1GB, Ultra3SCSI in Raid
|| 0+1 and 100Mb connection to a cisco switched campus network.
|| Nothing unusual in the connector logs or the event logs.
|
| That's a beefy box all right. There are a couple of cases that might
| cause a box to drag its heels but what you've described isn't one of
| them.
| Best thing for you is to go back to sys admin basics and perf log the
| box to see what's chewing resources

Yeah, that hardware should be more than adequate. One tip however might
be to move transaction logs to a separate RAID 0+1 with 15K drives, if
that's not already the case. The scenario you describe would definitely
incur a large amount of simultaneous transactions, so this might be a
place to look. Also, Exchange is memory intensive. Try tuning your
pagefile settings, and make sure that the pagefile isn't located on any
I/O-intensive partition or volume.

Furthermore, you might want to take a look at the Exchange Server Best
Practices Analyzer Tool, available from
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2003/ExBPA/default.mspx.
This tool might give you an idea of any bottlenecks in your system.

Are Westby

--
The odds are good, but the goods are odd.
0

"Are Westby" <are@liksom.net> wrote in message
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in
>
> [Carl]
>
> || Thanks for commenting.
> || It's a new HPProliant ML350G3, Dual Xeon2.8, 1GB, Ultra3SCSI in Raid
> || 0+1 and 100Mb connection to a cisco switched campus network.
> || Nothing unusual in the connector logs or the event logs.
> |
> | That's a beefy box all right. There are a couple of cases that might
> | cause a box to drag its heels but what you've described isn't one of
> | them.
> | Best thing for you is to go back to sys admin basics and perf log the
> | box to see what's chewing resources
>
> Yeah, that hardware should be more than adequate. One tip however might
> be to move transaction logs to a separate RAID 0+1 with 15K drives, if
> that's not already the case. The scenario you describe would definitely
> incur a large amount of simultaneous transactions, so this might be a
> place to look. Also, Exchange is memory intensive. Try tuning your
> pagefile settings, and make sure that the pagefile isn't located on any
> I/O-intensive partition or volume.
>
> Furthermore, you might want to take a look at the Exchange Server Best
> Practices Analyzer Tool, available from
> http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2003/ExBPA/default.mspx.
> This tool might give you an idea of any bottlenecks in your system.
>
> Are Westby
>
> --
> The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

0
carl2378 (4)
2/24/2005 4:46:04 PM
Are Westby wrote:

> <snip>
> Yeah, that hardware should be more than adequate. One tip however might
> be to move transaction logs to a separate RAID 0+1 with 15K drives, if

High RPMs are less beneficial for log drives than for database drive
because almost all access to log is sequential. Additionally, 0+1 seems
overkill for logs, because of the same reason - modern drives even without
striping will easily provide very high sequential throughput.

> that's not already the case. The scenario you describe would definitely
> incur a large amount of simultaneous transactions, so this might be a
> place to look. Also, Exchange is memory intensive. Try tuning your
> pagefile settings, and make sure that the pagefile isn't located on any
> I/O-intensive partition or volume.
>
> Furthermore, you might want to take a look at the Exchange Server Best
> Practices Analyzer Tool, available from
> http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2003/ExBPA/default.mspx.
> This tool might give you an idea of any bottlenecks in your system.
>
> Are Westby
>
> --
> The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

0
kpalagin8074 (137)

Exchange 2007 and Antivirus
Hi! I'm running a small server wich is a x64 machine, with W2K3 R2 and Exchange Server 2007 installed. Since it's for a small and medium business, my client a bit tight on budget. What are the most suitable (and affordable) Antivirus solutions (no Anti Spam feature required) available on the market? (beware: it's a 64 bits machine) Help appreciated. Nicolas Hi Nick, Most of the antivirus do support 64 bit. What we will suggest, why not you look into Microsoft Forefront? Cheers "Nicolas Macarez" wrote: > Hi! > I'm running a small server wich is a x64 mac...

Right Click to Autofill cells in 2003
Hello All, In 97 to 2002 it was possible to right click when using Autofill to copy the cells down rather than continuing the sequence. in 2003 i just get a pretty red line (what purpose does this serve?). Does anyone know if I can get back the old functionality? Many thanks, Danny I have that functionality in Excel 2003 as well, maybe you have installed an add-in? In any case if you hold down ctrl while using the left click copy down it will also copy as opposed to fill a series Regards, peo sjoblom "DannyJ" wrote: > Hello All, > > In 97 to 2002 it was possi...

RSS Feed of Exchange Resource Calendar...
Has anyone heard of, or figured out a way to produce an RSS feed from a resource calendar? We are looking to use this as a feed to our Digital Signage solution. Thank you in advance! Brad -- Bradley Johnson Systems Engineer Parallel Technologies Minneapolis, MN ...

CRM Exchange Router 05-26-06
Hello, I am using CRM 3.0 and installed router services on exchange 2003 machine. During installation of router i had created crm@domain.com user in AD and added to crm mailbox now i want to deploy rule so that router sends incoming mails on support@domain.com to CRM (and creates activity in crm) Can anybody guide me, how can i acheive this? I will appreciate any help :-) thanx & regards, Here you go: 1. Settings >> Business Units >> Queues >> create a Queue with email matching support@domain.com 2. Perform the Microsoft CRM Rule Deployment wizard on the Que...

Outlook 2003/Lotus Notes Issue
Hi All, I have been having this outgoing problem with receiving emails from Lotus Notes. It seems to only be a problem when I got replies from a Lotus Notes system. When I open up the reply, the only think I see in Outlook 2003 is my original message and nothing else. I have tried changing the format to HTML, Rich Text, Text, etc and still get the error. Any ideas? Thanks, FF Are you using Outlook Connector for Domino? "frequent_flyer" <frequent_flyer@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:4044e78c$0$63376$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com... > Hi All, > > I have been...

Mails
Hi I have 500 user in my organization and one of the user is facing a very strange problem like whenever he send mail to anyone on the from field we are getting the full AD path. Could anyone help me in resolving this issue he is very senior most person in our organisation. Help will be highly thankfull. Regards, ...

automatic list of e-mail subjects
I would like to list the subject names of whole e-mails in my INBOX (including all subfolders of Inbox). How can i do that by code? I think that will be wonderfull, I'm looking for something like that since a year because i can't program anything... I will be even more powerfull if the list could be shared on a server and automatically load to every users. This will sell like cookie since a lot of company work with porject number and custumer, rules for filtering could also be manage on the server by only one person as the subject list also. "mezzanine1974" wrote: &...

Time/Date stamp in Outlook 2003 msgs.
My friend with 2003 has reported another oddity to me which is that the time & date stamp on her messages seems not to have changed with daylight savings time (i.e. they are 1 hour behind). She says the system clock did automatically change. My question--does Outlook really have anything to do with the time/date stamp or is this just a function of the mail servers involved? TIA. -- ------------------------------------------- Stephen Porter Los Angeles, CA Check calendar options "Stephen Porter" <stp@pobox.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1ae37d24b618934c98969a@m...

WHY CAN'T I SEND MY E-MAILS? THEY WIND UP UNSENT IN OUTBOX.
Why can't I send my e-mails? The wind up unsent in outlook. Version? do they change when you look in the outbox? http://www.slipstick.com/problems/outbox.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "PatA" <PatA@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Outlook 2003 CRM Toolbar
When we click "New Record" on the CRM Toolbar and choose "New Contact" it takes us to our Contact form in our old Public Contact datasbase in Exchange. How can I globally change this for all our users so in brings up the CRM Contact form. Thanks. The best way to do this is to customize the ISV config file for the Outlook client and add a new button to do this. The button you are referring to can open the CRM contact web form, but you have to change each individual user's setting to do this. If you want to do this, select the CRM > Options menu. On the Syn...

FrontPage 2003 on windows 7 64 bit
Hi , FrontPage 2003 on Windows 7 , Following Issues 1. SAVE AS… error - not enough memory ( memory is there) 2. Unable to Insert IMAGE From File - FrontPage fades 3.Other sporadic issues - error messages while opening or publishing Tried the below steps : ( it works fine on Windows XP ) ( few of them are from forums) Removed temporary files, removed cmdui.prf, removed *.web Checked in Windows Safe mode removed FrontPage addins Installed latest updates for FrontPage ( Sp3) checked FrontPage server Extensions - they are fine Uninstalled and reinstalled...

Outlook 2003 Font Changes When Replying Plain Text
Outlook 2003 is exhibiting a strange behavior when replying to plain text messages. After clicking the "Reply" button, the message appears in the Arial font. In about two to three minutes, the font suddenly changes to Courier which is the correct font. Why is it taking so long for the font to change? Steve Lockridge steve@websitewarehouse.com ...

Because the Exchange MTA is disabled, the store driver...
I suddenly have a huge problem on my exchange 2003 (running on SBS). Trying to fix the not running Exchange MTA (Bad ideer, is it was ok in the not running state DOH) service I uninstalled the SMTP service, and reinstalled it! The result of that was a smashed Exchange server. Now I can't get it to relay for any of my domains anymore, and everytime someone send an email, the Event log on my server will tell me that It cant deliver the Email because the Exchange MTA service is not running. Could you please help me get it back up and running, or at least give me some clues ...

OUTGOING MASS MAILINGS
We have Outlook 2003 with Windows XP (all running with all the latest patches). We use Act! version 6.0 to generate mailing lists which we use to send out monthly newsletters. Act builds the messages and sends them to Outlook's 'Drafts" folder. Oulook then proceeds to send out the emails. We send out groups of 100 emails at a time (since Act can't handle more than 120 mass emails in this manner) until we have generated emails for all of our 1200 contacts. We always wait for all the messages to be sent out so the Outbox folder is empty when we start generating ...

Excel Crash

Outlook 2003 -receiving multiple copies of messages
The setup. SBS2003 server, mail comes from ISP "CATCH_ALL pop box) WinXP Pro OutLook 2003 Clients (All fully service packed up) Situation. I send a message from an external source, be it hotmail or home account or even from another company to say 3 people at our company. john@mycomp.com, jim@mycomp.com, fred@mycomp.com. they all get the same message 3 times. If I try this from within the company they only get the message once. Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanx in advance of any help. John R Giddy_uk wrote: > The setup. > SBS2003 server, mail comes from ISP "CATCH_ALL...

Outlook 2003 Suggest Names feature stops working
Hello I've run into a problem with one of our Outlook 2003 installations. On this particular PC (XP SP2), the Suggest Names feature has spontaneously "forgotten" all of the email addresses in it's cache. It's like all of the email addresses are somehow deleted. The feature is still turned on in Tools, Options, Email Options, Adv Email Options. And any email addresses the user puts in after this problem occurs are remembered, but Outlook doesn't remember any from the day before or earlier. The user hasn't been mucking around with his settings, and this has hap...

Exchange 5.5 Backup problem with Arcserve Backup v9
I just installed Arcserve Backup Agent for Exchange on my NT sp6 with exchange 5.5 sp4. The base product was installed on the backup server (win2k) with the tape drive. I scheduled a backup on the backup server, to backup the Exchange 5.5 server. It failed with error message: "Invaild username or password was submitted". I was not prompted for username or password when scheduling the backup job. Any idea will be appreciated. WS wrote: > I just installed Arcserve Backup Agent for Exchange on my NT sp6 with > exchange 5.5 sp4. > The base product was installed on the backu...

E-mail Marketing Newsletters
I am attempting to create an html newsletter for e-mailing to my current clients. I have spent numerous hours trying to create a professional looking newsletter in html format with links to various information on the web using Publisher 2003. I have been experienceing the flaws of html format newsletters with text and graphics reacting in different ways per the program used to open and view them. Is an html format newsletter the best way to achieve a dynamic newsletter my clients can use as a resource to locate items on the web via links or should I be going down a totally different pa...

how can make a mail copy to a group
i using win 2003 , exchange 2003 if have a user mail need forward ( make a copy ) to many users how can i do this ? i just know how to make a copy to one copy thx On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:03:12 +0800, "tequila" <tequila529@gmail.com> wrote: >i using win 2003 , exchange 2003 >if have a user mail need forward ( make a copy ) to many users >how can i do this ? > >i just know how to make a copy to one copy >thx > > Have you looked at creating a Dirstribution Group within Active Directory Users & Computers? You can mail enable it and make a number of...

Spinning off a division into a new company
Our company recently sold off one of our divisions. My supervisor wants us to take one of our stand-alone Exchange servers, move all the mailboxes from that division from the cluster to the stand-alone server, and then break the network connection between the stand-alone Exchagne server and the rest of the Exchange environment. As a part of this, a similar thing will be done with AD. 2 weeks later, this "child" domain will be migrated into the new company AD/Exchange structure. My question is whether this will work. I would prefer to set up a new domain and just migrate t...

Exchange 2003 MTA pooling
Is it possible to setup Exchange 2003 to perform pooling when sending messages out via X.400? So for example, if I have 4 X.400 connectors with the same address space that go to different external MTAs, can I set the cost to 1 on all the connectors and Exchange will decide which connector to use? What are you connecting to on the remote side - Routing Groups within the same Org or external MTAs to external messaging systems? If it's the former (connecting Routing Groups), no true load-balancing (assume that's what you mean by "pooling") is performed between X.400 Conne...

Exchange 5.5 in AD question
Hello all- Running exch 5.5 sp4 on a windows 2000 server in a NT 4 domain - one site, one server - about 650 mailboxes - 40GB IS - works perfectly. My goals for 07 are: Upgrade domain to AD Upgrade 5.5 to 2000 Upgrade 2000 to 2003 My thought process is that I really would rather do in-place upgrades, and it seems like I can if I follow that patter (I know you can't go in-place from 5.5 to 2000). My question is about the first step. I know that in mixed-mode AD, the exchange 5.5 box will 'think' it's in a legacy NT4 domain. On the weekend that I upgrade the domain t...

Serucity Patch and Outlook 2000 Mail Merge
We use Outlook with an Exchange server. Outlook 2000 with latest update and Exchange 5.5SP4 plus updates. We have a contact folder and started a mail merge from Outlook. It works great and we're able to use, add, test, and confirm the fields and formats that we like. We are using it to merge into an email message. Everything works fine. One item we'd like to get around when sending the merge to Outlook it prompts twice at every contact - once asking if we want to allow access to Outlook and to this prompt we can respond allow access for x minutes. This prompt is ok because when mergi...

Rule to delete junk mail does not always work
I have created a rule to delete any mail which contain certain characters or words. This appears to work sometimes but some of the mail containing these words still gets through (usually finish up in the Junk mail folder). When I run the rule on the Junk Mail folder these emails get deleted! So the rule would seem to be ok. Any idea why the rule does not always work? Al PE <pitsofearth@msn.com> wrote: > I have created a rule to delete any mail which contain certain > characters or words. This appears to work sometimes but some of the > mail containing these words ...