Exchange 2003 Event ID#3017 from MSExchange Transport

Last week we were hit by spammers from China.  They were
able to guess a password and authenticate using smnp.
One week later, it appears that they keep trying to ping
our server.  Once every hour, the message is being posted
in our application log.  It has the address of the
spammer.  How can I shut down whatever open port they are
trying to use?
0
anonymous (74722)

Check your Firewall logs and try to find out what port(s) they are using.
If you can verify what IP addresses they are using block those on the
Firewall as well.  They may also use other machines outside of China to
attack your network.  I have found that some companies in China and other
countries register with ISP in the United States to host their SPAM servers
as well.  You may want to block these if you find they are being used as
relays. You should not allow any relays at all on your server or even allow
authenticated users to relay.  Please check these settings as well on your
Exchange server.  Please check this site to verify you have no current open
relays.  http://www.abuse.net/relay.html   There is nothing you can do about
the pinging and constant port probes except block Entire IP address blocks
from foreign countries, which I already do as a safeguard.

"Cheryl Jones" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last week we were hit by spammers from China.  They were
> able to guess a password and authenticate using smnp.
> One week later, it appears that they keep trying to ping
> our server.  Once every hour, the message is being posted
> in our application log.  It has the address of the
> spammer.  How can I shut down whatever open port they are
> trying to use?

0
nospam7515 (2084)

Migrating sbs 2003 to new server
Hey all, anyone got any guides about migrating to a new server? Greetz, -- Rob. This article may provide ideas. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278439&sd=tech "Rob Tillie" <Rob__NSPAM_AT_NOSPAM_flep-tech_DOT_nl> wrote in message news:uDtDEzG0EHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hey all, > > anyone got any guides about migrating to a new server? > > Greetz, > -- Rob. ...

Excel 2003-provide feedback with sound
Trying to set in the options of MS Excel 2003 "provide feedback with sound", a message appears, that I have to download the Microsoft Sounds Add-in from the MS download page. But there is a hint, that this Add-in is only up to Excel XP and so it is not possible to install this feature. Is there any other version for MS Excel 2003? I installed Microsoft Office Sounds and it works in all versions from Excel 97 to Excel 2003. I didn't have to do anything special beyond selecting it under Options. So it "should" work. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Dirk" <Di...

Outlook 2003 mail stuck in Outbox
I have Outlook 2003 and Win XP with a home network & broadband connection. When I try to send an email, it gets stuck in the outbox. I receive email fine, and my test of the email account setup is successful. When I try to send,, I get this message: Sending and receiving reported error (0x8004011D). The server is not available. Contact your administrator if the condition persists. What should I do. The condition does persist, and I don't have an administrator. Hi Shelterdog, please read this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840835 -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern ...

Outlook 2003: Email address in 'From' column of Inbox.
Anyone know how to get the full email address to display in the 'from' column of the inbox in Outlook 2003? I have about half a dozen "Dave"s that all have different email address but they're indistinguishable in the inbox. Plus, I'm sick of just seeing someone's name when I really need to know the company name more than anything else. At least with a proper email address, I can easily work out if it's a legit email from a known company or spam. I don't want to have to read the post to see if it's valid. ------------------------------------------...

Monitoring Exchange 2003
How do I check the mail messages sitting in my SMTP queue using Exchange System Manager? Under property, the status is showing "Retry Remote Delivery". What is a better way to monitor what is going on in my Exchange server? I am running Exchange 2003 server. Is there also a way of seeing incoming emails before they are delivered to the intended recipients? If I can not use the Exchange System Manager in monitoring, what else can I use? Thanks Emma ...

Outlook 2003 #134
I'm having a problem w/dragging & dropping email into folders while using MS Outlook 2003. After dropping about 3/4 email messages into folders (no matter where you drop them)I recieve this error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command". I've ckecked Event Viewer & task manager & cannot find any information about this problem so I can address it.I have also tried "Rebooting" and still get the same issue. Does anyone know how I can solve this issue??? ... .. I too am experiencing the exact same problem with Outlook ...

Automate processing of recieved email in Exchange
Hi All, I need to parse incoming e-mail (to a particular email address hosted on an Exchange server). The email is generated by a web site which then encrypts the data with PGP and sends it to a specific address. Can Exchange be programmed to decrypt the e-mail and safe the contents to a file? If not, are there any third party software anyone knows about that may assist? Thanks, best regards, Matt Seddon. ...

Exchange 5.5: X400 vs. Site Connector
Is there a performance difference between the Site Connector and X 400?? Let me give you a little more info, I have two sites which are connected via a VPN (dedicated connection using T1's on both sides). I currently have an X400 connector between the two sites, however...I'm moving my exchange server to a new system in one side which means I'm going to have to rebuild the connectors. I'm not using any scheduling, user priorities, message size limitations or any of the advanced features of the X 400 connector. So the only question left is...is there any performance/scaliabi...

It all started with Windows 2003 SP1 and Exchange SP2
We have a simple domain - one DC and one Member server supporting Exchange 2003. Both run with - DC Windows 2003 Enterprise and Exchange Windows 2003 Standard. My clients all use Office 2003 Professional. I have installed SP1 on both and SP2 on the Exchange server. Now the fun starts and where I am looking for help. Point 1 - I understand that the new Firewall using SCW has some problems; to the extent that Microsoft has issued a Troubleshooting Guide. I see there could be problems (article ID 896742) and Microsoft has a fix. I also understand that the recommendation is not to use SC...

Question with local vs. remote (Exchange server) data
Can someone please explain something basic to me about the way Outlook works. I'm a Mac user and not familiar with this thing but now need to figure out how to synchronize it with a PocketPC PDA device. We've got Outlook on our PCs (W2K), connected to an Exchange server. So, I see my calendar and contacts, which I know live on the server. But when I sync my device, it ends up empty. Is there some sort of "local" (to my PC) data that it's using instead of the Exchange server's info? If so, where is it and how do I find it? If I could find it, I could copy the Exchan...

Exchange 5.5 config issue?
We're keeping our Exchange Server without much inhouse expertise, and managing to support 140 users - so far so good. But I think we have a setting or configuration problem. If an email in a client's Outlook Inbox is there more than 2 or 3 days, reading, deleting, forwarding or any action takes about 30 seconds to execute. You get the "Microsoft Exchange is requesting Data from the server" dialog box with a subsequent 10 second or so delay, and it's annoying. Is this a caching setting on the server, and how can we extend the number of days that an email can be process...

Outlook 2003
Our firm is just converting to Outlook 2003, and we're having a problem. If a lawyer has given full access rights to his/her assistant, then that assistant goes into the lawyers' Email and deletes something, it goes to the *assistant's* trash, not the lawyers. Same goes if they send an Email, it goes to the *assistant's* sent items, not the lawyers. Is there anyway to keep this from happening and being put in the appropriate person's folders? Thanks ...

"Find an event" feature in the Windows Live Mail/Calendar
In the Windows Live mail it is quite simple to "Find a message" as we type something in the search box and enter. But, I do not see any search box with the Calendar. Are there any ways to "Find" something in the Windows Live Calendar? Looking forward to hear from someone. Thank you. ...

Migrate from Sbs 2003 to Win 2008 Std + Exchange 2010
Hi, I need to migrate my solution from sbs to std. I have 75 client, using file server, domain and exchange mailboxes. i have 2 new server with 2008 std r2 operating system. One for AD, other for Exchange 2010. Sbs server will be dismiss. Is possible migrate user account and mailboxs ? Is possible mantein the same domain name? (if not is not a problem) Have you a documents that explain step by step how to migrate ? Thank you very much Lorenzo Hi Lorenzo: By now there are thousands of references to various migration strategies listed in the various groups and els...

Export memberships of all Exchange DLs
Is there a way that we can export all Exchange (2003, AD 2003) DLs and also view their memberships? Thanks! csvde.exe -f output.csv -r "(& (mailnickname=*) (| (&(objectClass=group)) ))" -l "member" "Fletcher" <iliketodirtbike@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uP1pAhkdEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Is there a way that we can export all Exchange (2003, AD 2003) DLs and also > view their memberships? > > Thanks! > > ...

Mailbox Resources (exchange 5.5)
I have recently noticed a large volume of 'deleted items' building within the Exchange Administrator/Mailbox Resource Checking the actual 'deleted items' folders for each user shows nearly empty versus the folder I can see in Exchange Administration, which shows several users 'deleted items' folders over 100MB. It is Cached? How can I clean this up? "Steve" <srosenthal@audioadvisors.com> wrote: >I have recently noticed a large volume of 'deleted items' building within the Exchange Administrator/Mailbox Resources >Checking the actual '...

Mailbox throws "Exchange is currently in recovery mode" message when opening
Experts, Running Windows Server 2003 SP1. Exchange SP2. I went ahead and deleted an AD account of type InetOrgPerson and it's associated mailbox. Even though the AD account was an InetOrgPerson type, it seemed to work ok like that up until the last couple of days until it mysteriously stopped working. So I re-created the account, setting it to type "user" instead of InetOrgPerson. I ran a mailbox cleanup agent task on the store and purged the mailbox. Re-created it about 5 seconds later. This is the only store on the only server in the site. When I tried to open Out...

Exch 2003/Outlook 2003 inbox sync problem
Greetings, After several hardware problems on a SBS Server 2003 I can no longer sync my inbox with Outlook 2003? All other folders sync just fine. After a manual sync the properties of the inbox show 147 items on the server and 0 items in the off-line folder. I have deleted the .ost file and had outlook recreate it -- no change. I updated to sp1 -- no change. I logged in on a different box with OL2003sp1 -- no change. ANY help or pointers are appreciated. -Steve S. ...

OL 2003
Hello, I recently began receiving e-mails from a Listserv group that is work related. Unfortunately, some messages are arriving with the MIME message below: ----- Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=__Part4D6FD98F.0__=" This is a MIME message. If you are reading this text, you may want to consider changing to a mail reader or gateway that understands how to properly handle MIME multipart messages. ----- How can I set up Outlook 2003 to translate these e-mails? Thanks, SCT sctvoice <sctvoice2@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > I recently began ...

menu event functions
Sorry, I am a new bee here. I wanted to know in which class should I keep my menu OnCommand functions. Should those be in App class or frame class or view class or doc class. As you know for SDI we keep it in App class. Thank you Lee Also I wanted to add that I want this to know in case of MDI application. Thank you, Lee yang__lee@ausi.com wrote: > Sorry, > > I am a new bee here. > I wanted to know in which class should I keep my menu OnCommand > functions. > Should those be in App class or frame class or view class or doc > class. > > As you know for SDI...

Exchange 2007 behind NAT/RPC over HTTP
Hi, I have an Exchange 2007 server behind a NAT router. I want to configure RPC over HTTP (Outlook anywhere) on it. HTTP/HTTPS is working on it as expected (the NAT router forwards ports 443 and 80 to Exchange's internal IP address). I have enabled Outlook Anywhere in the Exch. management console, specified external hostname and clicked the "Basic Auhtentication" checkbox (from what I understand that's required in order to make it work over SSL) - the SSL offloading is not enabled. I'm trying to configure Outlook 2003 to connect to it but I haven't been...

Visio 2003 How to darken expansion timeline connecting lines?
When I create a expansion timeline,the dotted lines which connect the expansion timeline to the primary timeline are so pale that they can barely be seen when the drawing is printed out. I can not figure out how to make them darker. Any help would be appreciated. Select the expanded timeline shape. Then go to Edit > Open Expanded Timeline to open the group edit window. Select the dashed lines you want to format and make any changes you want. Then close the edit window. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no...

1:4 ratio GC proces to Exchange 2003 procs
I have a question about the ratio of GC processors to Exchange processors as outlined in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875427/en-us. Do you include the passive excahnge nodes in the equation? No since it's not actively talking to the GC so it's not using resources. The ratio does not really account for anything else that may be utilizing resources on your GC such as SPAM apps, directory synchs, or anthing else you may have as well. James Chong randomuser wrote: > I have a question about the ratio of GC processors to Exchange > processors as outlined in http://support.micros...

Need Help
Greetings, We have a requirement to migrate out Lotus Notes to Outlook 2003. Me and my team has never done such a migration. Can someone please help me in coming out an approach for this. Basically, I would like to know the things to be taken care before, mid and after deployment? How to deploy (i.e tools or something else)? A best practice for such migration, if possible. TIA ...

going back to 2003 #2
i just installed 2007, and i am thinking that i may want to go back to 2003 version. has the .pst file changed? can i simply uninstall outlook 2007 and re-install outlook 2003? and keep the rest of office 2007? has anyone tried this? -- jeffrey You can probably do what you are asking. However, if you use Word as your e-mail editor, both must be of the same version. Give Outlook 2007 a try. "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message news:K54Fh.780$bb1.390@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net... >i just installed 2007, and i am thinking that i may want to go back to 20...