Exchange 2003 environment

Hello,

I have one Windows 2000 server as a domain controller running Exchange 2000.
Is it possible to do an upgrade of exchange only to Exchange 2003 but leave
Windows on 2000? or will I need to upgrade windows to 2003 as well?  From
what I have read it looks as if Exchange 2003 will run in a Windows 2000
domain but I just want word from someone who has some experience.

Thanks,

Chris DeFreitas

0
chris9477 (27)

Yes you can upgrade to Exchange 2003 without upgrading to Windows 2003

--
Mark Fugatt
Exchange MVP
"Chris DeFreitas" <chris@NOSPAM.trinecom.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have one Windows 2000 server as a domain controller running Exchange
2000.
> Is it possible to do an upgrade of exchange only to Exchange 2003 but
leave
> Windows on 2000? or will I need to upgrade windows to 2003 as well?  From
> what I have read it looks as if Exchange 2003 will run in a Windows 2000
> domain but I just want word from someone who has some experience.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris DeFreitas

0
Mark
1/26/2004 4:56:05 AM
Exchange 2003 will run fine on a Windows 2000 machine.
But if you would like to take full advantage of new features available in
Exchange 2003, then you should upgrade the server to Windows 2003.
For example: A popular feature like "RPC over HTTP" will work only when
Exchange 2003 is running on a Windows 2003 machine.

--
Mike Manjunath
Microsoft Corp.

"Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only."
rights."

"Mark Fugatt [MVP]" <news@4mcts.com> wrote in message
> Yes you can upgrade to Exchange 2003 without upgrading to Windows 2003
>
> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Exchange MVP
> http://www.exchangetrainer.com
> http://www.msexchange.org
> "Chris DeFreitas" <chris@NOSPAM.trinecom.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have one Windows 2000 server as a domain controller running Exchange
> 2000.
> > Is it possible to do an upgrade of exchange only to Exchange 2003 but
> leave
> > Windows on 2000? or will I need to upgrade windows to 2003 as well?
From
> > what I have read it looks as if Exchange 2003 will run in a Windows 2000
> > domain but I just want word from someone who has some experience.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris DeFreitas

0
mikeman (55)

2003 Administration Guide?
I don't get a download button for this on the MS download page. Anyone know what's up i.e. is it me or MS? ~pique@boo I just tried it myself from www.microsoft.com\exchange\library and it didn't download for me either. "Pique@boo" <pique@boo.invalid> wrote in message news:OnMeYDZQEHA.1388@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I don't get a download button for this on the MS download page. Anyone > know what's up i.e. is it me or MS? > > ~pique@boo > > I just followed the link to it (and went to <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...

Outlook 2003 Imap Auto Purge wish list
I hope someone at Microsoft can code in a auto purge Imap deleted email function into there next Service Pack. I can see a problem rolling this out to our employees. There going to delete messages and those messages are going to stay on the Email server until they do a Purge. I'm afraid they just won't do this. We use Imap. No auto purge means emails staying on the server which over time just takes up hard drive space and makes tape backups take longer. wayne Hi Wayne, You should send suggestions to mswish@microsoft.com as the newsgroups are not monitored for feature request...

access 2003 (sp3) The program stops responding
Hi When I change something i a form (design view) ,the program stops responding for while. Not used network connection are disconnected. Hodde <Hodde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I change something i a form (design view) ,the program stops responding >for while. Not used network connection are disconnected. Check your table links. You might have some tables pointing to a network share. Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://ms...

Exchange 2003 smtp queues e-mail delay outbound mails
Hello, Our exchange server is creating several smtp queues whit not valid e-mails I tested our server, and is not a relay problem. The outbound mails should be enable or not ? Thanks Rui On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 00:01:02 -0800, Rui <Rui@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, >Our exchange server is creating several smtp queues whit not valid e-mails >I tested our server, and is not a relay problem. > >The outbound mails should be enable or not ? > >Thanks >Rui > > They will be attempts at NDR's back to non existent senders following incoming spam m...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

Exchange Patch (KB912442) causes problem w/ share login accts
Exchange2003 std SP2 w/ Office 2003 & XP clients. We have several users who shares a computer, so instead of logging in w/ different users accts, I set them up w/ a shared logging and access Outlook w/ multiple Mail profiles. However, after installing KB912442, it blocks these users from sending emails. It gives them an message that the shared login doesn't have the right to send emails on behalf of this user. I checked the mailbox rights in AD Users and Computers, the shared login has Read & Full mailbox rights permissions. Any idea how to fix this. Thanks in advance. ...

new mail notification in 2003
I just upgraded to Outlook 2003 and I no longer recieve new mail notification unless the message is in my Inbox. In previous versions you would get notifications as long as the folder the message went to was a sub folder of Inbox. Any ideas? This is by design. In your rules that you have setup to move messages from your Inbox to other folders, you can add "display a desktop alert" for each of those rules. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "Brian" ...

Need the ability to Moderate distribution lists in Exchange
We are moving off of a mail list server and pulling all mail lists into Exchange 2003. Currently users have the ability to moderate mail sent to some lists. (Mail is sent to the moderator first, they approve or deny it, and based on approval it's sent to the list.) How can we set this up in Exchange 2003 SP1?? Thanks! On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:38:03 -0700, Lee <leemack33@hotmail.com> wrote: >We are moving off of a mail list server and pulling all mail lists into >Exchange 2003. Currently users have the ability to moderate mail sent to >some lists. (Mail is sent to...

!!HELP!!! Cannot connect to Exchange Server from a RDP, ICA session or server local machine
Please excuse the posting as I wasn't sure which group to post this in. I'm having issues using Outlook from a server desktop, an RDP or ICA connection. I have remote users who connect using Citrix. They logon to the Citrix server desktop (Windows 2003 Server) and use Outlook from there. They can also use Outlook from within Citrix as it is a Published Application. I know some of you are going to suggest why don't they use OWA but let's not get into that. I can log onto any workstation here in the office and connect to the Exchange server and open their Outlook. What I and they...

Mailbox deletion in 2003
I have deleted and purged a users mailbox owing to corruption..ie not being able to set permissions for other users to access their calandar. I have created and applied against an existing user and have imported their messages ok. They can send and receive ok...But!!! Any messages before I deleted mailbox now come back as undeliveable..cannot find recipient. If outside users reply to them. How can I set the mailbox to recongnise incoming messages from replies. MAny thanks Sounds like the SMTP address isn't the same. For internal replies, failures would be caused by the legacyEchan...

trouble connecting to Exchange 2003 using Outlook 97 Exchange Server Service
hello, this is my setup I have one Active Directory domain containing two AD Sites, configured through AD Sites and Services, Site one is the local LAN on the 192.168.x.x subnet, Site two is a remote site in a datacentre on the public-facing 87.127.x.x subnet - the two sites are connecting via VPN on Sonicwall firewalls the VPN connection is solid - and commuications from Site one to Site two is fine, and vice versa netdiag and dcdiag from both sides report no problems My Exchange Server is in Site two, along with a DC/GC and appears to be working fine (still in testing phase), OWA works...

OWA Administration and SAV for Exchange
On a new Server 2003 SP1 with Exchange 2003 SP2 installed, we are unable to access the OWA Administration Tools program, locally or remotely, or the Symantec AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange v5.x, remotely. The OWA tool is not that big of an issue for us at this point, but we would like to be able to access the SAV interface remotely, and feel that these are somehow related. When trying to access the OWA Admin Tools, we receive the message that the page cannot be found, but the address bar shows https://<servername>/OWAAdmin/, which should be the correct address. When we try to...

Antivirus for Exchange 2003 #2
Hi All, Can somebody share some experience about antivirus for exchange 2003 !!! Thanks in advance ! Tedy Scanmail for Exchange 2000/2003 from TrendMicro is the best! "msnews.microsoft.com" <tedybb@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eyknclULEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > Can somebody share some experience about antivirus for exchange 2003 !!! > Thanks in advance ! > > Tedy > > Obviously there are a number of vendors out there. But only two you need to look at. Trend Micro, and Sybari. -- Martin Blackstone MVP - Exchange http://...

Change Headers That Exchange Uses To Deliver Mail?
When someone sends a BCC mail to recipients in my domain, the TO: header field is blank and as a result, the message is getting dumped into my badmail and a copy is going to the postmaster in my domain. It turns out that our ISP has some kind of SPAM filter that parses the BCC content prior to delivery to me and places the intended recipients in a new header called: X-NETSCAN-TO: Is there a way to tell my exchange server to use the contents of that new header to determine the recipients in addition to the normal TO: header which works the rest of the time? So, have it check TO: and X...

Exchange 2003 #39
Currently running Exchange 2003 on a server that we want to put out of service. We have around 300 user accounts. What is the best method to move all everything over onto a New Server? Thanks Hi Mhernandez, Is this other server Exchange 200X? If so you can move your mailboxes to your new server then follow the following MS KB article to move other services to your new server and remove your orriginal server. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931 You will also need to change your MX record. If moving to an Exchange server in another org, the procedure is sli...

How to recover/shutdown an exchange database?
How does one recover an exchange database (edb file) from to dirty-shutdown state to a clean shutdown state. I have tried "eseutil /r" on a dirty-shutdown edb file, which reports success but actually does nothing. Is there a way to programmatically recover (transit to the clean-shutdown state) an exchange database? Thanks in advance for any advise. Faithfully, Sean B. Durkin On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:57:16 +1000, "Sean B. Durkin" <sdurkin@{removeThis}siliconrose.com.au> wrote: >How does one recover an exchange database (edb file) from to >dirty-shutdown...

merge email outlook 2003
Help, I am trying to complete an email merge. Everything goes great until sending - I can only 25 about 25 messages then Outlook 'freezes' and send me an error message: "Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: ?S2 4.5.3 No more transactions allowed.'" My Internet Server says they are not the problem in fact I have a 'business account' and should have a fairly large message limit (certainly extremely larger than my currant project). ...

Error message when starting Outlook 2003
New office, new desk, newer computer that is supposed to be better... but every time I start Outlook I get the following error message: The add-in "C:\WINDOWS\System32\PWEXCHEXT32.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu. Detect and repair doesn't resolve the problem. Really. We tried twice. There's no information that I can find on this in the MS Knowledge Base. Our "Nick Burns Your Company's Computer Guy's" solution for the problem is to ignore it. But the problem is jus...

Adobe Illustrator to Publisher 2003
Is there a way to convert an Illustrator file to Publisher format? No. You'd Export your artwork as an appropriate image file... .tif, .png, jpg etc. Then use it in Publisher -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D25FBC19-B60A-4214-9388-5C1176AEFBF8@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to convert an Illustrator file to Publisher format? Actually your question prompted me to try dropping an grouped .ai vector object(s) into Publisher 2007, and I w...

Exchange 2003 SBS And Outlook 2003
Hello We have the public folders in Exchange setup to except mail from the outside world, and what we are noticing that when mail is delivered to the folder it shows as a post. What we want is to make it act as an email, so when we reply to it we can reply to all of the original recipients. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh also one more question. When we add a new user to the exchange server, we can not add that acct to the persons outlook unless we restart the exchange services. Thanks In news:7A4E06F3-E6A7-485B-99DC-765F415A584C@microsoft.com, Exchange 2003 <Exchang...

Optimizing Exchange via Diskpart (diskpar?)
I have been reading the document - Optimizing Storage for Exchange 2003.doc (available via Microsoft's web site). THey say what is shown below to use diskpar at a command line on 2000 or 2003. Diskpart appears to be the proper tool to use for windows 2003, however. How can one translate MIcrosoft's words below into using diskpart.exe? Do you just run "create partition primary" and will it use an automatic offset? If not, what do i use for the offset= option? Or should I download diskpar.exe from somewhere and use it. Am I getting much performance really by using the...

How do I view and edit the source code for a Chart in Excel 2003?
Is there a way to access the code (VBA?) for a Chart created in Excel 2003? I have generated a complicated Chart or graph which I want to then "Copy" and modify to make several more which access different spreadsheets. It is cumbersome to click in the Toggle box for the data ranges for X and Y. Instead, I was hoping there might be a way to use Search and Replace to change the text describing the data ranges. EBB Excel does not create VBA when creating a chart unless you have specifically recorded the steps of creating it (Tools>Macros>Record New Macro...). Even when y...

Excel 2003 charting circular or spherical coordinates
Long time user of Excel, long time issue: Is there a way to plot (chart) using circular or spherical coordinates? I have Excel 2003. Scott - Go to the charting section of Stephen Bullen's web site: http://oaltd.co.uk/Excel/SBXLPage.asp#Charting and look for FunChrt6.zip, which shows how to use polar coordinates. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Scott @ Nordion wrote: > Long time user of Excel, long time issue: > Is there a way to plot (chart) using circular or spherical...

Uninstalling Exchange
Hi!!! I have in my organization 2 exchange servers, one is running Exchange 2000 and a new running Exchange 2003.. I have moved all the users to the new server and We are planning to use the old server for something else I was wondering what is the procedure to uninstall one exchange server without affecting the other.. is there like a manual to do so?? or should I just uninstall the old one?? Any recommendations? Of things I should check? Greetings http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307917 On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:37:58 -0600, "Jes�s Gutierrez" <a...

Moving Exchange to different server, different name
Can someone point me in the right direction if a KB article exists? I have read the article about moving to a different server SAME name, but that is not quite what I am doing. I want to move to a new server, different name. I assume that I will install same version of exchange on new server, move mailboxes, public folders, everything over to new server. Then follow the MS KB article about removing the first exchange server from your domain AM Basically install another server and move everything over. ie move mailboxes and replicate public folders. Rehome them if it is 5.5 moving to anothe...