Exchange 2003 edb problems

Hi.  I am having problems with one of our Exchanges.  It recently stopped
working and the event log pointed at the problem being the database hitting
the 16Gb limit.  Looking at the Priv1.edb and stm files the are adding up to
16Gb but online defraging only seems to show 150mb of white space.  If I add
up all the mailboxes including deleted items however, it only comes to 5Gb.
I tried an offline defrag but it only reduced the stm file by the expected
150mb.

Having deleted as many un-necessary emails as possible, I have reset the
deleted item retention to 0, and changed the maintenance interval to 48hours
in a desperate attempt to try to reclaim the 1Gb of deleted item space being
used. But I urgently need to find out where the missing 11Gb has gone and how
I can get it back!

0
Kenji (3)

Kenji:
   I have seen some similar things on other Exchange servers recently.  This
has ended up being things in the deleted items cache.  Using Exchange System
Manager, view the Mailboxes list for that server's mailbox store, then add
to the view the "Deleted Items (KB)" column using View -> Add/Remove
Columns.  Do the mailboxes have a lot of deleted items?  Once something
leaves the Deleted Items folder and enters the deleted item cache, it no
longer counts against the user's storage.

    If the items in the deleted item cache are not being purged, this may be
because the nightly online maintenance is not being run.  Items in the
deleted item cache are only purged during the online maintenance cycle.  I
have a couple of blog entries where I detailed some of my experience with
this.  See these entries:

http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/exchange-event-id-1221-represents-only.html

http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/edb-and-stm-files-grow-continually_15.html

http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/edb-and-stm-files-grow-continually.html

    Hopefully these will shed some insight in to your problem.
--
Jim McBee
Web: http://www.somorita.com

"Kenji" <Kenji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.  I am having problems with one of our Exchanges.  It recently stopped
> working and the event log pointed at the problem being the database
> hitting
> the 16Gb limit.  Looking at the Priv1.edb and stm files the are adding up
> 16Gb but online defraging only seems to show 150mb of white space.  If I
> add
> up all the mailboxes including deleted items however, it only comes to
> 5Gb.
> I tried an offline defrag but it only reduced the stm file by the expected
> 150mb.
>
> Having deleted as many un-necessary emails as possible, I have reset the
> deleted item retention to 0, and changed the maintenance interval to
> 48hours
> in a desperate attempt to try to reclaim the 1Gb of deleted item space
> being
> used. But I urgently need to find out where the missing 11Gb has gone and
> how
> I can get it back!

0
jmcbee9404 (625)

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C53D1B.0214B510

Jim,

This is copy->paste from your last URL.

"So, Exchange online maintenance was not cleaning up the deleted items =
and deleted mailboxes. Once we cleared this checkbox, the deleted items =
began to be cleaned up, but it still took almost 2 weeks for the amount =
of deleted items to be cleaned up, though."

Why it took two weeks to clean cache?
If I set "keep deleted items" to 0 days in Store Properties and uncheck =
"Do not permanently delete items until store has been backed up"  isn't =
all deleted items cache suppose to be purged during next online =
maintenance?=20

"Jim McBee [MVP Exchange]" <jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net> wrote in message =
> Kenji:
>   I have seen some similar things on other Exchange servers recently.  =
This=20
> has ended up being things in the deleted items cache.  Using Exchange =
System=20
> Manager, view the Mailboxes list for that server's mailbox store, then =
add=20
> to the view the "Deleted Items (KB)" column using View -> Add/Remove=20
> Columns.  Do the mailboxes have a lot of deleted items?  Once =
something=20
> leaves the Deleted Items folder and enters the deleted item cache, it =
no=20
> longer counts against the user's storage.
>=20
>    If the items in the deleted item cache are not being purged, this =
may be=20
> because the nightly online maintenance is not being run.  Items in the =

> deleted item cache are only purged during the online maintenance =
cycle.  I=20
> have a couple of blog entries where I detailed some of my experience =
with=20
> this.  See these entries:
>=20
> =
http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/exchange-event-id-1221-represe=
nts-only.html
>=20
> =
http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/edb-and-stm-files-grow-continu=
ally_15.html
>=20
> =
http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/edb-and-stm-files-grow-continu=
ally.html
>=20
>    Hopefully these will shed some insight in to your problem.
> --=20
> Jim McBee
> Web: http://www.somorita.com
> Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
> Stuff: http://geekbargains.blogspot.com
>=20
>=20
> "Kenji" <Kenji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message=20
>> Hi.  I am having problems with one of our Exchanges.  It recently =
stopped
>> working and the event log pointed at the problem being the database=20
>> hitting
>> the 16Gb limit.  Looking at the Priv1.edb and stm files the are =
adding up=20
>> 16Gb but online defraging only seems to show 150mb of white space.  =
If I=20
>> add
>> up all the mailboxes including deleted items however, it only comes =
to=20
>> 5Gb.
>> I tried an offline defrag but it only reduced the stm file by the =
expected
>> 150mb.
>>
>> Having deleted as many un-necessary emails as possible, I have reset =
the
>> deleted item retention to 0, and changed the maintenance interval to=20
>> 48hours
>> in a desperate attempt to try to reclaim the 1Gb of deleted item =
space=20
>> being
>> used. But I urgently need to find out where the missing 11Gb has gone =
and=20
>> how
>> I can get it back!
>>
>>=20
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C53D1B.0214B510

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dkoi8-r">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jim,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is copy-&gt;paste from your last=20
URL.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><EM>"So, Exchange online maintenance =
was not=20
cleaning up the deleted items and deleted mailboxes. Once we cleared =
this=20
checkbox, the deleted items began to be cleaned up, but it still took =
almost 2=20
weeks for the amount of deleted items to be cleaned up,=20
though."</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><EM></EM></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Why it took two weeks to clean =
cache?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I set <U>"<EM>keep deleted =
items"</EM></U> to 0=20
days in Store Properties and uncheck <EM><U>"Do not permanently delete =
items=20
until store has been backed up"</U></EM>&nbsp; isn't all deleted items =
cache=20
suppose to be purged during next online maintenance? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM><BR></EM></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Jim McBee [MVP Exchange]" =
&lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt; wrote in=20
message </FONT><A =
href=3D"news:%23LA6P4TPFHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl"><FONT=20
face=3DArial =
size=3D2>news:%23LA6P4TPFHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;=20
Kenji:<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have seen some similar things on other =
Exchange=20
servers recently.&nbsp; This <BR>&gt; has ended up being things in the =
deleted=20
items cache.&nbsp; Using Exchange System <BR>&gt; Manager, view the =
Mailboxes=20
list for that server's mailbox store, then add <BR>&gt; to the view the =
"Deleted=20
Items (KB)" column using View -&gt; Add/Remove <BR>&gt; Columns.&nbsp; =
Do the=20
mailboxes have a lot of deleted items?&nbsp; Once something <BR>&gt; =
leaves the=20
Deleted Items folder and enters the deleted item cache, it no <BR>&gt; =
longer=20
counts against the user's storage.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If =
the=20
items in the deleted item cache are not being purged, this may be =
<BR>&gt;=20
because the nightly online maintenance is not being run.&nbsp; Items in =
the=20
<BR>&gt; deleted item cache are only purged during the online =
maintenance=20
cycle.&nbsp; I <BR>&gt; have a couple of blog entries where I detailed =
some of=20
my experience with <BR>&gt; this.&nbsp; See these entries:<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/exchange-event-id-1221=
-represents-only.html"><FONT=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/exchange-event-id-122=
1-represents-only.html</FONT></A><BR><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/edb-and-stm-files-grow=
-continually_15.html"><FONT=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/edb-and-stm-files-gro=
w-continually_15.html</FONT></A><BR><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/edb-and-stm-files-grow=
-continually.html"><FONT=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/02/edb-and-stm-files-gro=
w-continually.html</FONT></A><BR><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hopefully these =
will shed some=20
insight in to your problem.<BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; Jim McBee<BR>&gt; Web: =
</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.somorita.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://www.somorita.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt; Blog:=20
</FONT><A href=3D"http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com"><FONT face=3DArial =

size=3D2>http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&gt; Stuff: </FONT><A =
href=3D"http://geekbargains.blogspot.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial =
size=3D2>http://geekbargains.blogspot.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "Kenji" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:Kenji@discussions.microsoft.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>Kenji@discussions.microsoft.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt;=20
wrote in message <BR>&gt; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"news:8108AA4C-A01A-4063-B325-D57A2C123D7F@microsoft.com"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>news:8108AA4C-A01A-4063-B325-D57A2C123D7F@microsoft.com</FONT></=
A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...<BR>&gt;&gt; Hi.&nbsp; I am having problems =
with one of our=20
Exchanges.&nbsp; It recently stopped<BR>&gt;&gt; working and the event =
log=20
pointed at the problem being the database <BR>&gt;&gt; =
hitting<BR>&gt;&gt; the=20
16Gb limit.&nbsp; Looking at the Priv1.edb and stm files the are adding =
up=20
<BR>&gt;&gt; to<BR>&gt;&gt; 16Gb but online defraging only seems to show =
150mb=20
of white space.&nbsp; If I <BR>&gt;&gt; add<BR>&gt;&gt; up all the =
mailboxes=20
including deleted items however, it only comes to <BR>&gt;&gt; =
5Gb.<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
I tried an offline defrag but it only reduced the stm file by the=20
expected<BR>&gt;&gt; 150mb.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Having deleted as =
many=20
un-necessary emails as possible, I have reset the<BR>&gt;&gt; deleted =
item=20
retention to 0, and changed the maintenance interval to <BR>&gt;&gt;=20
48hours<BR>&gt;&gt; in a desperate attempt to try to reclaim the 1Gb of =
deleted=20
item space <BR>&gt;&gt; being<BR>&gt;&gt; used. But I urgently need to =
find out=20
where the missing 11Gb has gone and <BR>&gt;&gt; how<BR>&gt;&gt; I can =
get it=20
back!<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C53D1B.0214B510--

alexc7217 (22)
4/9/2005 8:44:25 PM
"AlexC" <alexc@yourgoal.com> wrote:

>This is copy->paste from your last URL.
>
>"So, Exchange online maintenance was not cleaning up the deleted items and deleted mailboxes. Once we cleared this checkbox, the deleted items began to be cleaned up, but it still took almost 2 weeks for the amount of deleted items to be cleaned up, though."
>
>Why it took two weeks to clean cache?
>If I set "keep deleted items" to 0 days in Store Properties and uncheck "Do not permanently delete items until store has been backed up"  isn't all deleted items cache suppose to be purged during next online maintenance?

Yes, but only if the next online defrag runs completely and isn't
prematurely terminated before completing at least one full pass over
the database.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Jim, thanks for the links.  I had checked the deleted items cache and
mailboxes and deleted items accounted for about 1Gb but mailboxes 0.

Online defrag has been occurring every night at 1.00am.  On Friday night the
resultant event id 1221 reported 191Mb free.  Yesterday I reset deleted item
retention to 0 and set the maintenance interval to 48 hours to ensure it had
enough time to finish.  The checkbox mentioned was already clear.

An event id 1207 occurred at 01.17 reporting that as expected, the 949095Kb
previously taken up by the deleted items had been removed.  I checked and
Exchange System Manager which confirmed that there were now 0Mb of deleted
items.  At 01.18, an event id 700 appeared indicating that online defrag of
the mailbox db had commenced and at 04.32 the online defrag was completed and
another event id 1221 appeared.

This now reports 752Mb free so purging of the deleted items cache is
definitely occurring.  However, despite removing 927Mb of deleted items, it
has only cleared 561Mb of space.

Rich, is there anyway of confirming that the defrag completed an a premature
termination would explain it.

So, I now have enough space to run exchange again but I am still missing
11Gb of space :-(  Any other ideas anyone?

On a related note, does anyone know how to manually start an immediate
online defrag as it is a pain having to wait until 01.00 for it to start even
though 48 hours is set as the maintenance interval.

Many thanks

Kenji

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "AlexC" <alexc@yourgoal.com> wrote:
>
> >This is copy->paste from your last URL.
> >
> >"So, Exchange online maintenance was not cleaning up the deleted items and deleted mailboxes. Once we cleared this checkbox, the deleted items began to be cleaned up, but it still took almost 2 weeks for the amount of deleted items to be cleaned up, though."
> >
> >Why it took two weeks to clean cache?
> >If I set "keep deleted items" to 0 days in Store Properties and uncheck "Do not permanently delete items until store has been backed up"  isn't all deleted items cache suppose to be purged during next online maintenance?
>
> Yes, but only if the next online defrag runs completely and isn't
> prematurely terminated before completing at least one full pass over
> the database.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Kenji (3)
4/10/2005 9:01:02 AM
"Kenji" <Kenji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

					[ snip]

>Rich, is there anyway of confirming that the defrag completed an a premature
>termination would explain it.

Sure. The Application Log will have that information in it. Filter on
ESE / Online Defragmentation. If the defrag isn't interrupted, you'll
see a 700 event (start) and a 701 event (end). You may see other 7xx
events if a pass is interrupted, an interrupted pass is resumed, or an
interrupted pass is completed.

But one way of making sure you get at least one comlete pass every
week is to set the schedule to run ALL DAY on Saturday or Sunday
(which I think you said you did (above). That usually does the trick
-- unless your backup also runs all day. :)

If you think you're missing space, it might pay to dismount the
dataase and run ESEUTIL /G and ESEUTIL /MS to get an ide of where
there may be problems.

Determining database free space with Exchange 5.5 Service Pack 1 and
later versions of Exchange [195914]

The ESEUTIL /G should report any orphaned "long values". If you just
run ESEUTIL /D the orphans won't be removed from the databae. It takes
ESEUTIL /P to get rid of orphaned long values.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thanks for the replies.  It would seem from our event logs that I am
definitely getting un-interrupted passes each day then.  Fortunately somewhat
drastic pruning of saved email together with an online defrag has released
2Gb of space.  Hopefully this will give me time to run the additional checks
you suggest.

In the meantime I will also load up another Server/Exchange and migrate
mailboxes over to it.  This should free up further space until I can get to
the bottom of the problem.

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "Kenji" <Kenji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> 					[ snip]
>
> >Rich, is there anyway of confirming that the defrag completed an a premature
> >termination would explain it.
>
> Sure. The Application Log will have that information in it. Filter on
> ESE / Online Defragmentation. If the defrag isn't interrupted, you'll
> see a 700 event (start) and a 701 event (end). You may see other 7xx
> events if a pass is interrupted, an interrupted pass is resumed, or an
> interrupted pass is completed.
>
> But one way of making sure you get at least one comlete pass every
> week is to set the schedule to run ALL DAY on Saturday or Sunday
> (which I think you said you did (above). That usually does the trick
> -- unless your backup also runs all day. :)
>
> If you think you're missing space, it might pay to dismount the
> dataase and run ESEUTIL /G and ESEUTIL /MS to get an ide of where
> there may be problems.
>
> Determining database free space with Exchange 5.5 Service Pack 1 and
> later versions of Exchange [195914]
>
> The ESEUTIL /G should report any orphaned "long values". If you just
> run ESEUTIL /D the orphans won't be removed from the databae. It takes
> ESEUTIL /P to get rid of orphaned long values.
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Kenji (3)
4/10/2005 9:31:02 PM

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> Sure. The Application Log will have that information in it. Filter on
> ESE / Online Defragmentation. If the defrag isn't interrupted, you'll
> see a 700 event (start) and a 701 event (end). You may see other 7xx
> events if a pass is interrupted, an interrupted pass is resumed, or an
> interrupted pass is completed.

Why would an online defrag start and complete in the same second?  Ours says
it is running but it completes in like a millisecond after it begins.  I
don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling about that.  Any help would be appreciated.
I have been researching this for days.

TIA.

-Brian

"Brian Edwards" <BrianEdwards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Sure. The Application Log will have that information in it. Filter on
>> ESE / Online Defragmentation. If the defrag isn't interrupted, you'll
>> see a 700 event (start) and a 701 event (end). You may see other 7xx
>> events if a pass is interrupted, an interrupted pass is resumed, or an
>> interrupted pass is completed.
>
>Why would an online defrag start and complete in the same second?

Because the database is very tiny? :P

>Ours says
>it is running but it completes in like a millisecond after it begins.  I
>don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling about that.  Any help would be appreciated.
>I have been researching this for days.

It it's not starting and then being killed immediately by a backup (an
unlikely situation) then maybe setting the "Background Cleanup"
category of diagnostics logging on the "MSExchangeIS / Mailbox" would
show you something. If not then I'd try a reboot and if that doesn't
cure it a call to MS PSS might be in order.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "Brian Edwards" <BrianEdwards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Sure. The Application Log will have that information in it. Filter on
> >> ESE / Online Defragmentation. If the defrag isn't interrupted, you'll
> >> see a 700 event (start) and a 701 event (end). You may see other 7xx
> >> events if a pass is interrupted, an interrupted pass is resumed, or an
> >> interrupted pass is completed.
> >
> >Why would an online defrag start and complete in the same second?
>
> Because the database is very tiny? :P

Yeah, that's it funny guy :P

> >Ours says
> >it is running but it completes in like a millisecond after it begins.  I
> >don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling about that.  Any help would be appreciated.
> >I have been researching this for days.
>
> It it's not starting and then being killed immediately by a backup (an
> unlikely situation) then maybe setting the "Background Cleanup"
> category of diagnostics logging on the "MSExchangeIS / Mailbox" would
> show you something. If not then I'd try a reboot and if that doesn't
> cure it a call to MS PSS might be in order.

I don't believe so.  Our backup completes before I have the maintenance
scheduled to run.  I'll enable the logging and see where that leads me.
Unfortunately, calling MS is practically out of the question.  The last two
times I've had them help with anything, a half dozen other things suddenly
stopped working after I got off the phone with them.

Thanks for the ideas.

-Brian

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Exchange update problem

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

docmd.transfertext problem

SQL deadlock problem

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003

Import from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003

Excel Problem

SOAP Exception

DNS Error on Exchange

Exchange clusters
Hello Everyone, I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers. I am going to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3. Which cluster do I install it on first? The active cluster or the passive cluster? Thank you, Most appreciative, Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes? If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the passive node will become the active node. So, it's clear that you should install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive node (which was formerly the active node). -- Ed Crow...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Border problems

Exchange 2007 across account search