Exchange 2003: Deleted Mailbox Retention Policy

I want to make sure I'm clear on a situation I'm in.  We are almost out
of space on our Exchange DB drive.  In order to free space we have been
exporting disabled user's mailboxes to PST, removing Exchange atributes
and purging the mailboxes from the store.  We have a Deleted item
retention policy set for 7 days for the items and 30 days for the
mailboxes and it's set to not permanently delete these items until the
store has been backed up.

In order to actually gain space in the store after purging the
mailboxes wouldn't I have to create another system policy that is set
to 0 days for the mailboxes and put the store within that policy to get
free space back in the store?

To clarfiy when you purge a mailbox from a store it stays in the store
until after the retention policy expires (which is 30 days).  Is this
correct?

Thanks!

Hugh

0
metahugh (18)

Ewww.

>In order to actually gain space in the store after purging the
>mailboxes wouldn't I have to create another system policy that is set
>to 0 days for the mailboxes and put the store within that policy to get
>free space back in the store?

0 days and IS maint set to a custom time to run all the time would
certainly speed up the process.

>To clarfiy when you purge a mailbox from a store it stays in the store
>until after the retention policy expires (which is 30 days).  Is this
>correct?

Yes.

Any reason you can not just add more disks and move the databases
over?

>Thanks!
>
>Hugh
0
adavid (8731)
10/17/2006 8:20:04 PM
My preference would be to put another disk in the RAID array to expand
the drive instead of making a mad rush to clear space, but the company
I am with doesn't want to spend ANY money.  The data is stored on a
CX500 Clarion SAN and anything more than FREE would be too much =)

I'm a contractor at this company.  I'm managing a 4000+ user clustered
Exchange 2003 environment and they have made it clear that I will be
the only one supporting it which is crazy IMHO.

We have to keep all mail because of a lawsuit so I can do the things I
would like i.e. purging deleted items, setting mailbox limits, etc.

Worst case scenario my other mailbox server has 116GB available.  I
might start selectively moving mailboxes to that server until I can
knock some sense into them!  LOL

Hugh

Andy David - MVP wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2006 12:01:40 -0700, metahugh@comcast.net wrote:
>
> >I want to make sure I'm clear on a situation I'm in.  We are almost out
> >of space on our Exchange DB drive.  In order to free space we have been
> >exporting disabled user's mailboxes to PST, removing Exchange atributes
> >and purging the mailboxes from the store.  We have a Deleted item
> >retention policy set for 7 days for the items and 30 days for the
> >mailboxes and it's set to not permanently delete these items until the
> >store has been backed up.
>
> Ewww.
>

> >In order to actually gain space in the store after purging the
> >mailboxes wouldn't I have to create another system policy that is set
> >to 0 days for the mailboxes and put the store within that policy to get
> >free space back in the store?
>
> 0 days and IS maint set to a custom time to run all the time would
> certainly speed up the process.
>

> >To clarfiy when you purge a mailbox from a store it stays in the store
> >until after the retention policy expires (which is 30 days).  Is this
> >correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> Any reason you can not just add more disks and move the databases
> over?
>

> >Thanks!
> >
> >Hugh

0
metahugh (18)
10/17/2006 9:30:31 PM
I'd definitely start moving mailboxes to the other server.

<metahugh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My preference would be to put another disk in the RAID array to expand
> the drive instead of making a mad rush to clear space, but the company
> I am with doesn't want to spend ANY money.  The data is stored on a
> CX500 Clarion SAN and anything more than FREE would be too much =)
>
> I'm a contractor at this company.  I'm managing a 4000+ user clustered
> Exchange 2003 environment and they have made it clear that I will be
> the only one supporting it which is crazy IMHO.
>
> We have to keep all mail because of a lawsuit so I can do the things I
> would like i.e. purging deleted items, setting mailbox limits, etc.
>
> Worst case scenario my other mailbox server has 116GB available.  I
> might start selectively moving mailboxes to that server until I can
> knock some sense into them!  LOL
>
> Hugh
>
> Andy David - MVP wrote:
>> On 17 Oct 2006 12:01:40 -0700, metahugh@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> >I want to make sure I'm clear on a situation I'm in.  We are almost out
>> >of space on our Exchange DB drive.  In order to free space we have been
>> >exporting disabled user's mailboxes to PST, removing Exchange atributes
>> >and purging the mailboxes from the store.  We have a Deleted item
>> >retention policy set for 7 days for the items and 30 days for the
>> >mailboxes and it's set to not permanently delete these items until the
>> >store has been backed up.
>>
>> Ewww.
>>

>> >In order to actually gain space in the store after purging the
>> >mailboxes wouldn't I have to create another system policy that is set
>> >to 0 days for the mailboxes and put the store within that policy to get
>> >free space back in the store?
>>
>> 0 days and IS maint set to a custom time to run all the time would
>> certainly speed up the process.
>>

>> >To clarfiy when you purge a mailbox from a store it stays in the store
>> >until after the retention policy expires (which is 30 days).  Is this
>> >correct?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Any reason you can not just add more disks and move the databases
>> over?
>>

>> >Thanks!
>> >
>> >Hugh

0
missy7886 (112)

Outlook 2003 unsafe attachment
Outlook 2003 has removed what it regards as an "unsafe attachment" from email I have received from a good friend whose attachement I trust. How do I get the file and, more important, how do I turn off this "feature"? This has happened to me several times and it has never been correct. In all cases, the email was from people I know well and the attachments were safe. I hate programs that think they are smarter than their users. Steve Buroff Safer is to instruct people not to send you scripts or programs in an uncompressed format. For more info and instructions on how to...

Move PF From 2000 to 2003 #3
We are running EX2000 SP3 and just built an EX2003 SP2 server for migrating all public folders to. In the past (5.5 to 2000), we setup replication for all folders and then remove the old one after they in-sync. This process take very long time. Now, we heard there is a new tool on EX2003 SP2 "Move all Replicas", is that something to replace the old process? How does it work on large data? Will it verify the folders before removing the old data? Our PF currently 160GB in size and we use EFORMS and Event agent a lot. Does the "Move All Replicas" also handle the exchange syste...

Outlook 2003 #284
Why is it when I want to insert an attachment into an email in Outlook 2003 and the browse window pops up for the file, I try to change the directory for the file, the window stops responding and locks up and I have to force quit Outlook (sometimes having to reboot!) Argghhhh!....Help me Please.... ...

install ssis on windows server 2003
Hi there, I can't install SSIS service on my windows 2003 server. SSIS service won't show up in the SQL Server Configuration Manager's services list after i perform a full install from SQL Server 2005 SE installation CD on my server. During this install I've selected a choice for 'Integration Services'. I have Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2, standard x64 Edition SP2 installed on the server. I am able to run .dtsx package on the server from BIDS, but I can't run the same script from commandline using dtexec, because there is no SSIS service running. I get...

2007 excel autofilter change back to 2003 autofilter?
Is it possible to change the 2007 autofilter back to like the 2003 autofilter worked? I see you have a response to one of your other posts -- in a different forum. jonnybrovo815 wrote: > > Is it possible to change the 2007 autofilter back to like the 2003 autofilter > worked? -- Dave Peterson ...

2 Locations (exchange mode)
SBS2k3, Exchange 2k3, Outook2k3 I am in HQ, using exchange2003, only SMTP service open, POP3 stop. I'd like branch office accessing Exchange 2003 by exchange mode also, not POP3. Can I setup a VPN line and run the above module over the VPN line? Thanks for answering Yes you can. Another option would be to use RPC over HTTP(s) this would mean you do not need a VPN connection. Nue "Smith" <Smith@Micro> wrote in message news:%23vKHe$1mGHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > SBS2k3, Exchange 2k3, Outook2k3 > > I am in HQ, using exchange2003, only SMTP service open, ...

Outlook 2003 PST Lock
Does anyone know if the following reg key value works with Outlook 2003? Create the following registry key Outlook XP: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0 \Outlook\PST Add the following DWORD value: PSTDisconnectDelay Set the timeout delay in seconds. For example, setting PSTDisconnectDelay=120 (decimal) sets the timeout to two minutes. Restart Microsoft Outlook. ...

Delete Activity
Dear All We have noticed a strange issues when setting up the security for appointment activities. We do not want users to be able to delete activities from within the system, so we thought thats easy we restrict the delete for the activity in the roles. The problem we have is when we create a new appointment as user1 and try and assign the appointment to user2 both haveing the restriction of no delete and this is before the appointment is saved for the first time the save freezes and returns a SQL error. If we save the appointment first the reassignment works fine but this is no go...

2000 to 2003 uploading to html file
I can not find how to load to a web page, where in 2000 publisher I just slected that option now using 2003 and can not find that option.....I need to convert to html so that I can up load with MS Frontpage to my web site ???? Upload using frontpage ext so I can not use FTP uploads.....Help I guess I stated problem wrong, I need to find same option as in 2000, where you "save as a web page". what I would do is save it to a file, then open with Frontpage and upload. (this is saved as Html format so I have it on my disk as pub file and html file. I can not find this option to ...

Exchange 5.5 #17
Hi, i have one site with four exchange servers 5.5. Two of them are on NT4 and the other two are on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Just one server is sending mail to other domains. Is there anyone that could help-me to track the problem? ...

Outlook 2003 locks up on replies
I have a problem with Outlook 2003 locking up on replies to emails. I have to close Outlook and go back into it to get Outlook to work again. I have deleted the users local profile, deleted the mailbox and recreated it, changed out different computer, change the data jack and even put the user on wireless. It has to be something following the user? It happens at different timesof the day, but mainly in the afternoon. ...

Unknown Error
Anyone have any idea why I can't delete a message in a Junk folder? I'm getting a plain/simple dialog box saying "Unknown Error" and the message will not delete. Trying to move it to the Inbox, for example, returns a dialog box message saying "Can't move the items. The item could be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied." Any ideas? Thanks, Tom Robbins tomweho@hotmail.com On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:14:44 -0500, "Exchange Groups" <tomweho@hotmail.com> wrote: >Anyone have any idea why I can't delete a...

Tax free exchange of stock shares
On nov 12 2006 McDonals (MCD) corp offered a tax free exchange for Chipotle (CMGB) shares using a ratio of .8879 shares of CMGB for each share of MCD exchanged with fractions remaining being convereted into cash (Cash-In-Lieu). If I traded a portion of the shares of MCD I own, how would I proceed in Money 2006 to record the transaction? Spin-off does not seem to fit the build as CMGB already exists as a stock. In microsoft.public.money, Wade wrote: >On nov 12 2006 McDonals (MCD) corp offered a tax free exchange for Chipotle >(CMGB) shares using a ratio of .8879 shares of CMGB f...

Scheduled sending mail in 2003
hi, I am using outlook 2003 and i just wanted to is there any option available in outlook 2003 where a particular drafted mail can be sent to a single person evry day at a fixed time....evenif i am at home and not opened my outlook. regards, rkp For the first part of your question; Yes, see http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/recurringemail.htm The second part is not possible without Outlook running somewhere as otherwise there is no way to process this. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outl...

Mailbox Manager not processing mailboxes
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C635FE.83D69000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm new to exchange 2003 and have a silly question. Once a week, I receive an email from the system with the following: The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing = mailboxes Started at: 2006-02-18 00:10:29 Completed at: 2006-02-18 00:10:30 Mailboxes processed: 0 Messages moved: 0 Size of moved messages: 0.00 KB Deleted messages: 0 Size of deleted messages: 0.00 KB I...

Outlook XP and 200 Clients talk to Exchange 2003
Can Outlook XP/2000 clients who are using MAPI communicate with an Exchange Server 2003 installation or do the clients need to be Outlook 2003 also They will work fine. Outlook 2003 offers some additional capabilities with Exchange 2003 but other versions will work fine. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Kevin Wilson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A51109B-F0D9-4398-A5C0-82F8DDE491D9@microsoft.com... > Can Outlook XP/2000 clients who are using MAPI communicate with an Exchange Server 2003 insta...

New Exchange Server with User Accounts in Child Domain
Origianlly I had an NT4 domain with Exchange 5.5. In the past few months we have created a new 2003 domain and created new accounts for our users there. These domain accounts were given permissions to the old Exchange mailboxes. The New domain has a root domain with two child domains. I have installed Exchange 2003 in the root domain. I used ADC to create a connection between the two domain servers. I can see all of the accounts using the 2003 snap-in. But, I cannot move a mailbox from the old Exchange server to the user in the child domain. The option is not displayed in the Exchange ...

Mailbox Size discrepancy #2
Hi, I have an issue with the size of a mailbox reported by outlook and exchange system manager. The environment is set up as such: Exchange 2003 SP1 Outlook 2003 SP1 Outlook in cached mode 100mb mailbox size limit The issue is that Outlook reports the mailbox as a size a lot less than reported in Exchange System manager eg 75mb in outlook but 125mb in exchange system manager. The user gets a warning about the mailbox size and starts deleting mail. They then check the size and it is less than the 100mb limit and yet they still keep getting the error message and are stopped from ...

Recover deleted message ???
Hello all, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find anything on it...sorry. How can I recover a deleted message in Outlook 2002 (and running on XP Home). The message I need to recover was received and deleted about 2 weeks ago. Can I still recover this? If so, how? THANKS in advance for any help !!! "rball" said in news:WRrYb.13748$CI3.3448@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com: > Hello all, > > I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find > anything on it...sorry. > > How can I recover a deleted message in Outlook 20...

Exchange Migration #2
Hello everybody. I'm not a exchange expert so please try to help me on this one. We've migrated Exchange 5.5 to the 2003 version successfully. Exchange 5.5 was running on a NT (BDC) machine with the latest service pack and we're using Windows server 2003 for the new exchenge server. Everything is working fine until I disconnect the NT machine. I can receive emails from the outside, but not the same when i'm trying to send one. when i connect the the NT back, all the emails reached its destination!, whats is wrong with my servers?? any help will be appreciated. Thanks in adva...

Forwarded emails go to wrong mailbox
Can you help? I've configured Exchange Server 2003 so that emails are routed to individual staff Mailboxes. This works except for emails that have been forwarded to us from a new domain we are using, in this case all the emails arrive in my Mailbox. I've double-checked and the emails are being forwarded from the domain to the same email address as the emails that arrive and are routed correctly. What is going wrong? On Fri, 26 May 2006 04:01:01 -0700, Roger Morbey <Roger Morbey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can you help? > >I've configured Exchange Serv...

Exchange Rule #2
I have well over 500 users on an Exchange 2003 environment. We have a spam filter in place and all spam that comes in is tagged with the word spam on the subject line. Is there a way to setup all clients so when they get an email that is tagged with spam, it would automatically be sent to the junk folder of Outlook? I know they can do it manually in Outlook but since we have over 500 users, this is not a feasible solution for us. Is there a way to configure Exchange to do this automatically? Why not just use IMF? "Ricky" <Ricky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Playing a video within Powerpoint 2003
I have an AVI file that is just under 2gb in size. It plays under windows media, but when you embed it within a slide in Powerpoint 2003 you can hear the audio but you cannot see the video. All you see is a black square. I have looked to see if the size was an issue but I cannot find anything that says there is a size limit. How can I get this to play? Thank you for your help "Mikflan" <Mikflan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53018453-C529-405B-801F-39862E06546A@microsoft.com... > I have an AVI file that is just under 2gb in size. It ...

forward email to a outlook folder according to different mailbox addresses
there is an mailbox with 2 email addresses can i do by rule to forward emails to different outlook folders (same mailbox) according to different email addresses? there is no such rule in Outlook but i find i can do similar thing in "Outlook Express" any help! Thanks a lot. tony use a rule that looks for words in the header. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-req...

Outlook 2003 Notes #3
Outlook today does not display count always at zero. The count is the number of unread notes you have. If all your notes are read, they won't show up in that count. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza "David" <davidranieri@verizon.net> wrote in message news:85d101c4855b$1113e090$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook today does not display count always at zero. ...