Exchange 2003 database offline defragmentation

My Exchange 2003 database is already over 16GB, and must do the offlin
defragment as soon as possible. Just search the info from Microsoft
but don't have much detail on this. So please help. Thanks.

1. Do I need to stop the 'MS Exchange Information Store', 'MS Exchang
Management', 'MS Exchange MTA Stacks', and 'MS Exchange Syste
Attendant' services before I dismount the mailbox store?

2. Is this command correct to run the defragmentation utility on th
mailbox store database with a backup? The command is:
eseutil /d c:\progra~1\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb /
d:\exchbkup\priv1.edb
(p.s. there is a space after /b)

3. The total size of c: drive is 50GB, and have 30GB free space, so i
should be enough to perform the offline defragmentation. Is tha
right?

4. For the 16GB size database, how long will it take to complete th
offline defragmentation? 3 hours? 4 hours? 5 hours?

Please feel free to comment. Thanks

--
tinyping
tinypingu's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=117

Hi,

1. no

2. Correct, the /b option you need only for additional backup up of the
database. If you don't want the backup db you can leave the paramteter

3. yes, you need 110% - 130% of the DB size

4. In my environment we need 1 hour for 20 GB. It depend on the hardware and
specialy the drive speed.

"tinypingu" wrote:

> My Exchange 2003 database is already over 16GB, and must do the offline
> defragment as soon as possible. Just search the info from Microsoft,
> but don't have much detail on this. So please help. Thanks.
>
> 1. Do I need to stop the 'MS Exchange Information Store', 'MS Exchange
> Management', 'MS Exchange MTA Stacks', and 'MS Exchange System
> Attendant' services before I dismount the mailbox store?
>
> 2. Is this command correct to run the defragmentation utility on the
> mailbox store database with a backup? The command is:
> eseutil /d c:\progra~1\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb /b
> d:\exchbkup\priv1.edb
> (p.s. there is a space after /b)
>
> 3. The total size of c: drive is 50GB, and have 30GB free space, so it
> should be enough to perform the offline defragmentation. Is that
> right?
>
> 4. For the 16GB size database, how long will it take to complete the
> offline defragmentation? 3 hours? 4 hours? 5 hours?
>
> Please feel free to comment. Thanks.
>

> --
> tinypingu
> tinypingu's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1172

IngoHuber (38)
5/12/2005 6:15:01 AM
Thanks for the advice.

The Exchange system configuration is:
1. Duel Intel P4 CPU 3.4GHz
2. 1GB of RAM

So, how long will it take to complete the Exchange database offlin
defragmentation

--
tinyping
tinypingu's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=117

Hi,

the time for the defragmentation depends primary on the speed of the disks
and the structure of the database. So nowbody could say how long it take, but
10 - 20 GB per hour is a pessimistic appraisal

"tinypingu" wrote:

> Thanks for the advice.
>
> The Exchange system configuration is:
> 1. Duel Intel P4 CPU 3.4GHz
> 2. 1GB of RAM
>
> So, how long will it take to complete the Exchange database offline
> defragmentation?
>

> --
> tinypingu
> tinypingu's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1172

IngoHuber (38)
5/12/2005 7:48:03 AM
My HP P3-800Mhz with 36GB SCSI drives takes about 40 mins. to do about 16Gb.

0
gsc (33)
5/12/2005 7:55:52 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Could you please explain:-

1. What will it show during the offline defragmentation? And, what wil
it show after completed? How do I know the offline defragmentation i
completed?

2. Do I need to do anything after run this command? e.g. move/copy th
defragmented priv1.edb to anywhere, or do something on priv1.stm?

Thanks a lot

--
tinyping
tinypingu's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=117

Automatically check mail in Outlook 2003
I have a new PC running XP Media Center 2005 and Office Standard 2003 trial. My PC has a built in LAN card. I use 56k dial-up modem to access POP3 on local ISP. Although I tried getting some info on Outlook 2003 from ISP they are no help--most use Outlook Express and are not familiar with Outlook. I want the PC to automatically dial and check for mail when off line every 2 hours. I would like to have outlook check mail when I am online about every 10-15 minutes. Office originally setup Outlook as if it was connected to mail server by LAN so I changed to modem. My Internet Explorer ...

Confusion in VS 2003 over declaring a new class....
We have an app that requires .net 1.1 to work, so are using VS 2003 for convenience. I'm most of the way through cleaning up the code that was originally created in VS 2008, so that it will not error on build. One particular statement has me a bit confused, as I cannot find any obvious examples to explain it. m_Results.PR = New Validator.Details currently complains that type Validator.Details is not defined, which is correct. I tried to add a new Details class to the Validator class, and declared several variables that are then used m_Results.PR.UPRN = getSelectedRowVal...

Chart- View Labels- Shared Database...
I am working out of a database used by two other individuals. When I attempt to print a report, my chart does not display the labels. If I open the chart in design view, I am unable to view the labels, but if I go further and actually open the chart all information is displayed. The other individuals working in the database are able to readily review the reports and print the data without any problem. We are all using the Access version, and I have already installed the Office Service Pack 3 fix. Nothing seems to working. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. ...

Outlok 2003 Word Attachments are Read Only and in 2 page view
I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he receives an email with a word doc attached and attempts to open it (rather than save it 1st) it opens in Word as read only and shows as a split screen (2 page book view). if he saves it to the drive 1st he can remove the read only attribute and then Word opens it normally. Any Ideas? Not sure why the view is different. My OT advice - always save attachments you want to edit, and then open them. Otherwise you're using a temp copy of the file & may lose changes. Marc Seidler wrote: > I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he recei...

exporting/importing databases
Can someone tell me if it is possible to bring a database created in microsoft access into microsoft publisher 2002. any suggestions, I am trying to create a mailing list and I have about 900 entries to transfer. thanks ...

Determining Changes between an Old and Updated Database
Each week, I recieve an updated database and would like to be able tocompare the new database to the old one to determine exactly whatchanged from the new to the old. Any ideas? Set up linked tables so you can access data in one database from theother; and then use queries (especially but not only Find Unmatchedqueries) to examine the data. On 5 Mar 2007 09:49:27 -0800, quinnculver@gmail.com wrote:>Each week, I recieve an updated database and would like to be able to>compare the new database to the old one to determine exactly what>changed from the new to the old. Any ideas?--John Nur...

Excel 2003
Whenever a colleague updates a spreadsheet I've created it comes back 10MBytes large whereas it was originally only 50KBytes. It looks to me as if the colleague accidentally adds tens or hundreds of thousands of empty rows. How can I delete all rows below a certain row. Delete does not work. Copying the real rows into a new worksheet loses the formatting. When I apply the formatting from the big spreadsheet (paste formatting) I end up with hundreds of thousands of rows again :-( Any suggestions? Tom Selecting all the rows below your actual data. Right-click, delete cells. (this is...

Receiving Blank Emails from Outlook 2003 User
Hi! One of my users is sending a blank email to everyone that sends her an email. I have no idea how this is happening. But I send her an email and get a blank one from her. Any clues? She uses Outlook 2003 with the latest patches. PMD Is Out of Office turned on? Pascal Dorion wrote: > Hi! > > > One of my users is sending a blank email to everyone that sends her an > email. I have no idea how this is happening. But I send her an email and get > a blank one from her. > > Any clues? > > She uses Outlook 2003 with the latest patches. > > > P...

How do I assign a shortcut key to an existing macro in Excel 2003.
ntahall, Alt+F8 to bring up the choose macro box, select your macro, options, assign a shortcut from there -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "ntahall" <ntahall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21B6102C-4B88-4131-A9AC-C48879896A17@microsoft.com... > ...

Exchange 2003 System Manager Server Modified Date Meaning
Hi, I am looking for some info on the Exchange 2003 system manager server property page. It shows in the right hand colum all the servers and service packs and the furthest right says "modified date" Could some one please eleborate on what this actually means? Thanks On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 06:20:28 -0800, Darrel <Darrel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for some info on the Exchange 2003 system manager server >property page. It shows in the right hand colum all the servers and service >packs and the furthest right says "modified d...

Disk space on the exchange
I have a 12GB disk space on my data directory on my exchange. My private edb file is now 9.7 GB. I had my all my user to reduce their mailboxes but I still have not seem a decrease in that .edb file. I have ran the edbutil function to compact the database, still nothing. If someone could give me some suggestion to free up some disk space, it would be very helpful. Thanks You need to do an offline defrag. Just go to google and do a search for: Exchange offline defrag Matt "jlassiter" <jlassiter@nngov.com> wrote in message news:1140a01c3f4bb$8ef15c30$a401280a@phx....

Printers On SBS 2003
I have 10 network printers on an SBS 2003 net. In learning this install, I discovered they all have static IP reservations. They are accessed by a mix of Win 7, XP and Vista workstations. I am getting ready to move them to a new server. Is it really necessary to use static IP's for shared network printers? Thanks in advance. Necessary? Well HIGHLY Recommended that you have a static IP if you ever have to access them from an IP do IP printing etc et. So Yes, not just for YOU but for anyone who else is going to work on your systems Get the Label Printer out and put t...

Error 80070057
H I just installed a Exchange 2003 box as new server of a Exchange 5.5 site (exdeploy-tools) I didn't received any errors during install and mail flow between servers My issue is when I view the RUS properties it shows only Descriptio properties and when I try to generate a new RUS service I get the erro Exchange System Manager Invalid Argumen Facility: Win3 ID No: 8007005 Exchange System Manage I received the same error message when I try to generate a new Address Lis What is the problem The exchange service account is member of the following groups: local administrators, domain a...

Offline User does not have Licence or Role
I have an issue where all users can successfully go offline, no errors etc. When disconnected from the network the users get CRM error, no licence or role, so they can not use CRM. If they are connected to the domain but CRM is offline it works fine, when they go back online there are no errors. I have uninstalled and re installed one client including deleting the local db and registry keys etc but to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue or know why this would occur please, the clients are on XP Pro SP1, the CRM is 1.2 and Office 2000. Colin can you tell us the exact message the...

Importing messages from Outlook 2003 into 2000?
I have Outlook 2003 on my computer at work and Outlook 2000 on my computer at home. I would like to move some messages from my work to my home machine. Unfortunately, Outlook 2000 doesn't seem able to understand the .pst files generated by Outlook 2003. Is there any way around this? Colin Make sure you create and copy items into a legacy (Outlook 97 - 2002) pst file. See File | New | Outlook Data file. Pick the Outlook 97 - 2002 type. Copy items form mailbox to this new pst. Close it when done (right click on personal folders and select close/disconnect.) "Colin Caulkins&...

Exchange Disaster recovery Group
Hi, Have successfully been to restore a mailbox using the Exchange Disaster Recovery Group. Have dismounted the database, can I now delete the database from the RSG and all the associated files from the folder on the drive? Thanks, Abhi Yes. If you are done with the Recovery Storage Group, simply dismount the database, then delete the database and Recovery Storage Group from System Manager, and delete the associated files on your drive. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Abhi" &...

SDK against the offline SFO client
There has been a lot of posts about this, and apparently this is not a supported option. <RANT> How the hell are we supposed to create great add-ons for this product if those add-ons do not work when the client is off-line? There is a huge amount of scope for third parties to enhance the base product, but it is a waste of time if the enhancements do not carry forward to off-line mode. Hey! Someone stole the wheels off my Ferarri!!! </RANT> Stephen Right now there is no replication method to bring your code down from the CRM server. As discussed getting customizations wor...

Outlook 2003 not closing #2
When I'm done reading and sending mail I close Outlook (It's version 2003, running under Windows XP) using the 'Close' button. After going through a day of opening, checking and answering mail and then closing when done, I've noticed that Task Manager shows multiple copies of OUTLOOK.EXE running. None of them seem to be taking CPU resources, but they do have memory assigned. During the day, I don't notice any error messages. Everything seems to be working fine. There are no clues to indicate that something hasn't closed until I try to re-boot the PC. Th...

excel 2000 convert to excel 2003
Hi I would like to move current excell 2000 spread sheets and open them in 2003 excel. Please help in any way. I have copied my excell 2000 data onto a floppy however it will not open in Excel 2003 XL2000 and XL2003 share exactly the same file format and so should open just fine in either. However, you should never open XL files on floppies - XL uses temporary files, which may exceed the capacity of the floppy. Instead, copy the file from the floppy to your HD before opening. In article <72864281-728A-4B27-8317-A760E6440BB2@microsoft.com>, cityof <cityof@discussions.microsoft...

Font size changes in Excel 2003 charts when re-opened
For certain charts that I create within Excel 2003 (usually bar charts), I use a font size of 8 (eg for data labels, axis labels, and scale). If I close the file and then re-open it, all these fonts will have become size one (title and legend are not effected). Oddly, if I have created a bar chart and made several copies of it within a worksheet, it will only be the original and not the copies that are affected by this. If anyone can shed any light on why this may be happening and how it could be fixed, I would really appreciate it. Lucie ...

Exchange POP3 Message Retrieval WOES..........
Is there any possible way to decrease the amount of time for Exchange to go out and check a mail server in the POP3 settings? It will not go any lower than 15 minutes before Exchange will even attempt to go out and look for mail. For people that live and die by e-mail everyday, you would think that you could set it down to every minute if we so choose. Why limit it to only 15 minutes. Is there a VB script that will run that process faster or tell Exchange to go check for mail now versus having it wait 15 min? BTW, this is with SBS 2003 Standard Edition Please help, this is a major ...

Cannot delete mailbox/email account from Outlook 2003
Hello All - I'm a systems admin at a company that use exchange server. Someone added a mailbox to an e-mail account, and it appears as a second mailbox in the folder list. The only problem is, I can't delete it. If I right click the mail account, select "close mailbox...", I receive the error that the mailbox is associated with an account, and to remove it I need to go to Tools, E-mail accounts, view or change, blah blah blah. If I go to that route, I can delete the Microsoft Exchange Server account that exists. However, in the "Deliver new e-mail to the following loca...

Publisher 2003 #5
I just installed Publisher 2003 and it put on the Microsoft Office Tools. I open Publisher and try to use the "Send To" command to Microsoft Office and I get a message that either Excel, Word .. etc. needs to be loaded. I use Microsoft Office XP Pro. All these are installed. I have re-tried installing the program but can't get it to load. Any ideas ??? ...

Offline notifications
When operating offline with scheduled sync, should new mail notifications be available. Currently using OL2003 with Exchange03 but feature hasn't work in previous flavors. Thanks once again ...

Outlook 2003 / Microsoft Office Connector / "locked" email address
Upon initiating Outlook 2003 for the first time, the Microsoft Office Connector box pops up. Now because the first time I entered the email address, I was not thinking and put the wrong "recognized" emial address in the box. Now I am unable to insert the correct sign-in email address. It is "grayed" out and I can't seem to change it, thus is not a recognized no matter what I do. This has totally shut me down on using Outlook 2003. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times now with the same results. Please. I am desperate. Thank you. -- Musoswish Control...