Exchange 2003 Database Limitation

Just last week the Exchange database hit its Limit.  Email just shut down
until I was able to run a defrag and free some space in order to remount the
information store.
My question is, With Exchange 2003 can I specifiy a larger Database size or
am I stuck with the 16384 size that it is now?  And if I can change the size,
how do I do it?

Thanks

0
morrisonw (1)

SP2 for Exchange 2003 introduces a 75GB limit.

Nue
"morrisonw" <morrisonw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just last week the Exchange database hit its Limit.  Email just shut down
> until I was able to run a defrag and free some space in order to remount
> the
> information store.
> My question is, With Exchange 2003 can I specifiy a larger Database size
> or
> am I stuck with the 16384 size that it is now?  And if I can change the
> size,
> how do I do it?
>
> Thanks

0
imaneophyte (3004)
5/22/2006 12:59:36 PM
On Mon, 22 May 2006 05:31:03 -0700, morrisonw
<morrisonw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Just last week the Exchange database hit its Limit.  Email just shut down
>until I was able to run a defrag and free some space in order to remount the
>information store.
>My question is, With Exchange 2003 can I specifiy a larger Database size or
>am I stuck with the 16384 size that it is now?  And if I can change the size,
>how do I do it?
>
>Thanks

Apply Sp2
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html
0
adavid (8731)
5/22/2006 1:05:12 PM
"morrisonw" <morrisonw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just last week the Exchange database hit its Limit.  Email just shut down
> until I was able to run a defrag and free some space in order to remount
> the
> information store.
> My question is, With Exchange 2003 can I specifiy a larger Database size
> or
> am I stuck with the 16384 size that it is now?  And if I can change the
> size,
> how do I do it?
>
> Thanks

Apply SP2 for Exchange to get the 75GB limit.

Check this out too:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html

Regards,
Andy D.

0
dadmun (21)

sbs 2003 mail stays in queue
Hello, a sbs2003 server has a problem with one user. when i send a mail internal or external to this user it comes in the exchange queue but never reaches the mailbox. mailadres is correct. also when i use webmail on the server (server/exchange) and login with that user and send a email to himself it appears in the send items but never in the inbox. Also no errors in the event log. can anyone help me out? regards Marc Hi Mark: What does message tracking show you? Also turn up all logging in Exchange System Manager to max and see what that shows. Or, copy the existi...

forwarded message come in as .eml, not inline Text Outlook 2003
When people forward messages to me, the forwarded message arrives as an .eml attachment. I am using Outlook 2003. How can I get the system to not convert the forwarded messages as .eml attachments, rather in-line text in the e-mail? Thanks, Leslie They've probably chose to forward as attachment and are using Outlook Express or Windows (Live) Mail. Have them use a normal forward instead. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World...

Exchange 2003 & GFI Faxmaker 10 ???
Hello everybody! We have Exchange 2003 with Win 2003 Domain... We're thinking of installing GFI's Faxmaker 10 in another server (split installation) which will extend the Active Directory Schema (I think it adds a tab, doesn't it? )and we're deeply concerned whether it'll create any kind of problem... Has anybody out there done this ? Must inform that we have GFI MailSecurity 8 installed in VS API mode and no problems encountered so far... I'd really appreciate your answers... Nikos I can tell you from experience that the GFI product isn't that great of a solu...

Test and consequences for adding and deleting W2K8 DC in 2003 domain
Hello, I have a forest and a domain with 3 Windows 2003 Server DCs. In order to make a test during 2 weeks, I have to install and promote a Windows 2008 Server R2 into DC (without particulary role). I know I will have to do an ADPREP with the W2K8 R2 DVD but forest and domain will not change their level. 2 weeks after I will retrograde the server as member and suppress it from the network (It will leave only W2K3 severs). Do you know if there could be a problem for the AD architecture ? Thanks in advance. Christophe Hello Christophe, Answered in the same posting...

Exchange Email Size Limit
Hi, I'm trying to send an email that is 26MB in size and configure Exchange 2003 SP2 to allow it. Each time I try and send the email I receive the following undeliverable; "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: something The following recipient(s) could not be reached: something@something.com on 29/11/2005 11:54 This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again. <Server.domain ...

Configuring Outlook 2003 client to connect to Exch F/E
Hi All, Forgive me if this has been asked before!!! We have 1 exchange 2003 Enterprise edition sevrer in our AD Forest. I want to introduce another exchange 2003 Enterprise server into our AD forest for DR. After I do this I want to introduce a Exch F/E into our forest and leave it behind our firewall. Right now Outlook clients connect to EXCH-01 when we add the F/E server does Outlook automatically configure the client to connect to the F/E server. If not what are the steps to configure the clients to connect Thanks in advance for your answers. Tony An Exchange server supporting th...

Read Receipts
Good evening! I am thinking that read receipts are more an Outlook issue than an Exchange issue but wanted to ask here. We have a client who is secretly having us forward all e-mails sent to "PersonX" forwarded to the CEO (and then sent - via rule - to a specific sub-folder of his Inbox). Additionally, I have set up a Transport Rule to forward all outbound e-mails that "PersonX" sends to the CEO. The rule is very basic.... 1) check messages when they arrive 2) from people or distribution list (then select "PersonX") 3) move it to the specifi...

Unable to backup Exchane 2003 DB's with error 217 from ESE source
Hi all I had an exchange 2k3 sp1 with 2 storage groups with 5 db's at 1 SG (included public folders) and 2 db's at the other SG on a win2k3 SP1 machine.Before 4 days Veritas Backup stoped backup all my databases with error 217 from source ESE.After 2 days search i've decided to install SP2 for exchange 2k3 to resolve the problem. Yesterday afternoon i apply sp2 with no error and i try to take backup of my db's. Veritas start backing up fine.It backed up my first SG with success but when it went to back up the first db from the second storage group event viewer logs err...

Can you do an e-mail based merge in Pub 2003?
I may be bonkers but I believe before I loaded the beta of Pub 2003 I could merge to an e-mail format in Publisher. The new wizard is good but only offers printing and help dosent help... Is this a capability or not? Publisher now lets you create an HTML publication for emailing through Outlook. It still won't allow you to mail-merge to email. "Thomas Loker" <thomas@loker.com> wrote in message news:#FRZ444WDHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I may be bonkers but I believe before I loaded the beta of Pub 2003 I could > merge to an e-mail format in Publisher. The n...

Installing Service Packs on Exchange Server 2003
Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end servers. Have not installed any service packs on these systems yet. Just got OK from change control board to install these. Just wanted to know what would be the best process to install these ? Do I need to go to SP1 first then SP2 or does SP2 contain SP1 updates as well? Do I do the front end server first? Thanks! On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:58:02 -0700, D303M <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end >servers. Have not installed any s...

Outlook 2000 unable to connect to Exchange 2003 mailbox
I've just moved over 2500 users from Ex2K servers to Ex2K3. At the same time I also changed the Directory Access servers to use specific DCs and GCs, rather than leaving it set to automatic. The day after moving the mailboxes all was fine...but after a couple of days users report problems when accessing their mailboxes. When the open Outlook and choose 'Connect' Outlook freezes. When they open Outlook in Offline mode and hit Send and Receive it gets to the Retrieving mail stage before again freezing. I've since returned Directory Access to Automatic and the only way I&...

Money 2003 Deluxe not responding
I am running Money 2003 with Windows xp. I am having a problem with the Bills and Deposits page. When I select a bill to be paid and then "Enter into Register" the first time the Bills and Deposits jumps to the last bill on the list instead of the next bill due. When I try to enter the next bill due the windows task manager jumps to 100% cpu usage and money stops responding. I had 256MB ram installed and recently added 256mb to make the total ram 512mb. That did not seem to help. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there a fix for this problem? And for how long does it...

Optimize Exchange 2003 for large mail loads
We have exchange 2003 on a windows 2000 machine configured with basic default settings. It is in a domain setting and we have people that use outlook to pull mail from the server. These individuals receive about 1000 mails a day. When gone to lunch, there are about 2-3 hundred mails when they return. The problem we have is when they log back on and try to pull mail from the exchange. The outlook crashes. When they pull smaller groups of mail through out the day, they are fine. There are only 4 people here that receive mail like this and we've up the memory on the computers...

Exchange IMF
We have recently installed the Exchange Intelligent Message Filter onto our SBS2003 server. It appears to be correctly removing messages when they exceed the Gateway Blocking limit (which we have set to 8) and moving the emails to my specified file system folder. Unfortunately, messages which exceed the Store Junk email limit (which we have set to 2) are not being moved to users' Junk Email folders. What might be causing this? I have monitored the SCLs being assigned to these emails using Performance Counters and they are definitely exceeding the Store Junk email limit but are st...

Permissions have Changed on our Exchange Admin Account
During a Paid Microsoft Support Incident Permissions have Change on my Exchange 2000 Admin Account: Exservice This exservice account was used to install Exchange 2000, and it is a member of both the Enterprise and Domain Admins Groups. Enterprise and Domain Admin Groups are Explicitly Denied Read/Write mailbox permissions. Now after the support incident, the Exservice Account is also Denied read/write mailbox permission. Question: How can I prevent inheritance of a specific Deny mailbox read/write mailbox permissions from the Enterprise and Domain Admin groups from propagating to ...

Pocket Money 2003 Help
Does anyone have any clue when an update/fix will be posted for Pocket Money 2003. I bought a new Toshiba 355 with Pocket Pc 2003 and my new Money 2003 doesn't work with my new PDA (The main reason I bought both). I called support a month ago, and they said they would probably post a new download within a couple weeks. Of course, no download yet. Am I going to have to buy yet another version of Money to get it to work???? Thanks ...

Database is not listed in ODBC to default
Hi! I am trying to create a ODBC and default the Database in order for this ODBC to use in Crysral Reports, but I could see all Databases except the one I am looking for. I am using Windows Authentication and Namedpipes in the settings and necessary access has been given in SQL for this Windows user. I've tried even creating a new ODBC, it doesn't show the database that I'm looking for. Does any one experienced this before? Regards, Venkata N M Punugu If you are using Windows authentication, make sure the Windows user is added to the database. -- Charles Allen, MVP ...

can i user exchange 2007 client acc & 2003 mailbox?
i have exchange 2003.i would like to install exchange 2007 client access and leave my mailbox on exchange 2003.would i be able to use new owa? No, clients will see the OWA 2003 (or OWA 2000 if the mailbox sits on an Exchange 2000 mailbox server). -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "sham" <shamun@mekorot.co.il> wrote in message news:envBPoGJHHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >i have exchange 2003.i would like to install exchange 2007 client access >and > le...

can i import a database from access into visio #2
im want to import a database from access to visio in hopes it will draw my er digram for me. any syggestions? ...

converting 1.x database to 2.0 from DOS files
I saved the 1.x database on floppies. Now I need the database again and need to upgrade it. How do I copy the floppies with the 1.x database so that it will work with access 2.0 in an XP pro environment? ...

Deleted Exchange accounts reappear #2
We have an infrequent issue where Exchange 2000 and 2003 mailboxes sometimes reappear after being deleted. (Some of the users accounts are NT based, and some are AD.) Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a remedy. ...

Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out"
When using Outlook 2003 & Windows 2003 Terminal services the option for Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out" even logged in as Administrator. Any Help Thanks Bill I don't believe it works on TS. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "RX Bill"...

Exchange / outlook public folders and DST
Hi, I have MS exchange server 2003 and XP SP 2 fully patched. DST tested ok but for some reasons, appointments in the public folders are still 1 hour off. Your help is appreciated...(EST Time). Thanx You need to run the rebasing tools against Public Folders that contain Calendar items (type IPM.Appointment). You can do this using the patched Time Zone Data Update Tool for Microsoft Office Outlook (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=933146), or using the Exchange Calendar Update Tool v2 with the patched Outlook tool (when bulk rebasing appointments by an admin). The following post on t...

Outlook 2003
This is very annoying. Somehow, the "Outlook Read Mail" bar is at the top of all "Read Mail" windows. I can swap it with the menu bar, but "Outlook Read Mail" goes back to the top with the next message I read. Is there a way to fix this and have it stay fixed for a while? -- John ...

Chinese computers connecting to Exchange 5.5
Hi, We're trying to get some people in a new Chinese office connected to our Exchange 5.5 SP4 server running on NT 4 via a VPN. They are using Windows XP and Outlook 2003, as we are. When they try to create a MAPI profile, it just times out after forty five seconds when Check Name is clicked. Our firewall shows the RPC and TCP high port connections are occurring. The security event log does show a successful logon. When they try to connect by Outlook Express and POP3, they get a message of "There is no such mailbox on this server" when there definitely is. They are able to u...