Exchange 2003 constantly looking at one domain controller

I have an old 2000 Domain controller that needs to be removed from our
Windows 2000 Domain and replaced by a new DC. We also have Exchange
2003 Enterprise setup as an Active/Passive cluster.

However, whenever the old DC is taken off line Exchange seems to hang
and not respond until this specific DC is back online.  My Current DC
infrastructure is as follows:

5 Domain Controllers, two which are old and will be removed from
service and three new which will remain. The DC that will be removed is
running AD, DNS and WINS while the other old DC is simply running AD.
All my clients and servers look at one of the new DC's for DNS and WINS
and only look to the old DC for DNS or WIINS if these services are
unavailable.   They are all on the same LAN as the Exchange server and
are also all located under Default-First-Site-Name OU in AD Sites and
Services.  The old DC's are not holding any FSMO or GC roles.

In the end I will end up with five new DC's once I'm able to remove the
two old DC's however, this exchange problem has me stumped. Any help is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Javier

0
rojasj (6)

Check if that server is the only Global Catalog server.

If it is, add another one.   Look in Active Directory Sites and Services.
Propeties of each DC to see if they are Global Catalog.

Also make sure that all of your AD roles are transferred off of that domain
controller.

"Javier" <rojasj@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an old 2000 Domain controller that needs to be removed from our
> Windows 2000 Domain and replaced by a new DC. We also have Exchange
> 2003 Enterprise setup as an Active/Passive cluster.
>
> However, whenever the old DC is taken off line Exchange seems to hang
> and not respond until this specific DC is back online.  My Current DC
> infrastructure is as follows:
>
> 5 Domain Controllers, two which are old and will be removed from
> service and three new which will remain. The DC that will be removed is
> running AD, DNS and WINS while the other old DC is simply running AD.
> All my clients and servers look at one of the new DC's for DNS and WINS
> and only look to the old DC for DNS or WIINS if these services are
> unavailable.   They are all on the same LAN as the Exchange server and
> are also all located under Default-First-Site-Name OU in AD Sites and
> Services.  The old DC's are not holding any FSMO or GC roles.
>
> In the end I will end up with five new DC's once I'm able to remove the
> two old DC's however, this exchange problem has me stumped. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Javier

Other than possibly only having 1 GC, check the Directory Access tab on the
Properties of your Exchange cluster.

Ensure you have automatically discover servers ticked for both DC and GC.

Are all DC's in the same site? How about the same subnet? Anything sitting
in between the networks?

Oliver

"Jeremy" <jeremy.giacchi@signius.com> wrote in message
> Check if that server is the only Global Catalog server.
>
> If it is, add another one.   Look in Active Directory Sites and Services.
> Propeties of each DC to see if they are Global Catalog.
>
> Also make sure that all of your AD roles are transferred off of that
> domain controller.
>

> "Javier" <rojasj@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have an old 2000 Domain controller that needs to be removed from our
>> Windows 2000 Domain and replaced by a new DC. We also have Exchange
>> 2003 Enterprise setup as an Active/Passive cluster.
>>
>> However, whenever the old DC is taken off line Exchange seems to hang
>> and not respond until this specific DC is back online.  My Current DC
>> infrastructure is as follows:
>>
>> 5 Domain Controllers, two which are old and will be removed from
>> service and three new which will remain. The DC that will be removed is
>> running AD, DNS and WINS while the other old DC is simply running AD.
>> All my clients and servers look at one of the new DC's for DNS and WINS
>> and only look to the old DC for DNS or WIINS if these services are
>> unavailable.   They are all on the same LAN as the Exchange server and
>> are also all located under Default-First-Site-Name OU in AD Sites and
>> Services.  The old DC's are not holding any FSMO or GC roles.
>>
>> In the end I will end up with five new DC's once I'm able to remove the
>> two old DC's however, this exchange problem has me stumped. Any help is
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Javier

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
12/12/2006 3:34:15 PM
I had the same problem with a PC - all it was, was that DNS was
configured on the computer manually (as it will be on your server), and
was pointing at the server that no longer existed. So, if your exchange
server is pointing at that server for DNS and no others, it will hang
up eventually as it can't find Active Directory.

Also, as per the other post here - you need to make sure that there are
no FSMO roles on that 2000 DC and that the server is not the only GC
server.

"netdom query fsmo" at a command prompt. You get netdom with the
support tools from ms download site. Easiest way to tell which server
holds which FSMO roles.

One further point - you need to check out the replication status of all
DCs to ensure they're all replicating with each other correctly. MAybe
when you did your forestprep it only updated the 2000 DC and that
hasn't replicated to the other servers....?

Let us know.

Javier wrote:
> I have an old 2000 Domain controller that needs to be removed from our
> Windows 2000 Domain and replaced by a new DC. We also have Exchange
> 2003 Enterprise setup as an Active/Passive cluster.
>
> However, whenever the old DC is taken off line Exchange seems to hang
> and not respond until this specific DC is back online.  My Current DC
> infrastructure is as follows:
>
> 5 Domain Controllers, two which are old and will be removed from
> service and three new which will remain. The DC that will be removed is
> running AD, DNS and WINS while the other old DC is simply running AD.
> All my clients and servers look at one of the new DC's for DNS and WINS
> and only look to the old DC for DNS or WIINS if these services are
> unavailable.   They are all on the same LAN as the Exchange server and
> are also all located under Default-First-Site-Name OU in AD Sites and
> Services.  The old DC's are not holding any FSMO or GC roles.
>
> In the end I will end up with five new DC's once I'm able to remove the
> two old DC's however, this exchange problem has me stumped. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Javier

Hi,

SAme site and same subnet. The two old servers are not GC's or hold any
FSMO roles.
Oliver Moazzezi wrote:
> Other than possibly only having 1 GC, check the Directory Access tab on the
> Properties of your Exchange cluster.
>
> Ensure you have automatically discover servers ticked for both DC and GC.
>
> Are all DC's in the same site? How about the same subnet? Anything sitting
> in between the networks?
>
> Oliver
>

> "Jeremy" <jeremy.giacchi@signius.com> wrote in message
> > Check if that server is the only Global Catalog server.
> >
> > If it is, add another one.   Look in Active Directory Sites and Services.
> > Propeties of each DC to see if they are Global Catalog.
> >
> > Also make sure that all of your AD roles are transferred off of that
> > domain controller.
> >

> > "Javier" <rojasj@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>I have an old 2000 Domain controller that needs to be removed from our
> >> Windows 2000 Domain and replaced by a new DC. We also have Exchange
> >> 2003 Enterprise setup as an Active/Passive cluster.
> >>
> >> However, whenever the old DC is taken off line Exchange seems to hang
> >> and not respond until this specific DC is back online.  My Current DC
> >> infrastructure is as follows:
> >>
> >> 5 Domain Controllers, two which are old and will be removed from
> >> service and three new which will remain. The DC that will be removed is
> >> running AD, DNS and WINS while the other old DC is simply running AD.
> >> All my clients and servers look at one of the new DC's for DNS and WINS
> >> and only look to the old DC for DNS or WIINS if these services are
> >> unavailable.   They are all on the same LAN as the Exchange server and
> >> are also all located under Default-First-Site-Name OU in AD Sites and
> >> Services.  The old DC's are not holding any FSMO or GC roles.
> >>
> >> In the end I will end up with five new DC's once I'm able to remove the
> >> two old DC's however, this exchange problem has me stumped. Any help is
> >> appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Javier

0
rojasj (6)

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Exchange Server Management Pack Guide
Do I need MOM to run the Exchange Server Management Pack Guide on a Exchange 2003 Server? Thanks in advance Rick The management pack guide is just a Word document. Do you mean the pack itself? Nue "Rick" <drummer10980@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150133167.988870.274140@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > Do I need MOM to run the Exchange Server Management Pack Guide on a > Exchange 2003 Server? > > Thanks in advance > > Rick > Sorry, yes the pack itself... Rick Nuevo wrote: > The management pack guide is just a Word document. Do you mean ...

Running Money 2003 in Vista

if cell is text move left one column

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2003
Just bought new PC. Everything is Microsoft. XP Home - Microsoft Works (came installed) - User like to use MSN for e-mail, Sent Microsoft $300.00 to activate Office that came installed on machine. Word will not allow MSN to be the e-mail client. System crashed and burned after activation of Office. Outlook 2003 seems a little unstable. Why would a new PC with Works, Office Express and Outlook 2003 be shipped? All these programs do the same thing and they don't seem to talk with each other well. On top of this all she wants to do is use Word and send the document through MSN nor...

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Controling a MailMerge...
I am about to redo a procedure that will control a mail merge. My current process requires that the AccessDB is closed. This is the process now: 1) Data exists an access table that represents children in a household. 2) The assumption is made that the youngest child stores the most current mailing address and parent's names. A form/sub-form process allows viewing all children in a selected household as well as updating the address information. 3) A button on the main menu starts the mail-merge. It runs a Make Table query that generates the data necessary for the household. Then l...

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Moving Exchange #5

Backing Up Exchange Database

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

Outlook 2003

Outlook 2003 rules question again

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

What is the technical reason for native mode requirement of the domain?
.... what is the technical reason, why CRM can only be installed in a domain in native mode? Regards, Thomas Hello, It's for supporting group nesting which is used in MS CRM. IMO and as far as I know, it is the only reason for the native AD requirement. HTH. Nicolas >-----Original Message----- >.... what is the technical reason, why CRM can only be installed in a domain >in native mode? > >Regards, >Thomas > > >. > Nicolas Hognon wrote: [...] > It's for supporting group nesting which is used in MS CRM. > > IMO and as far as I know, it i...

Troubleshooting Exchange
I'm just wanting to write some 'proof of concept' scripts relating to Exchange that would help in troubleshooting any issues. Like the Exchange connections/second, etc. Are there any other qualitative data that can be used in general troubleshooting? Marco ...