Exchange 2003 adprep question....Urgent

I currently have a Windows 2000 Server which is a domain controller,
and is also running Exchange Server 2003.  I'm going to be adding a
new Windows 2003 Server (which will also be a domain controller), and
will be migrating the existing Exchange Server 2003 to the new server.
My question is in the adprep process....  From the research I've done,
it appears I should be able to just run the adprep commands on the
existing Windows 2000 box, dcpromo the new Windows 2003 Server,
install Exchange 2003 on the new server, migrate the mailboxes, and
perform the procedure in KB822931 to remove the existing Exchange
Server 2003 installation at a later date after all my MAPI clients
have updated their profiles.  Is this correct?  I just want to be
clear that I don't have to perform any of the schema changes outlined
in KB325379 for Exchange 2000 in a Windows 2000 forest....

Thanks for the help!

0
noone1 (387)

Once your Windows 2003 box is up you just need to run forestprep and
domainprep and then DCPromo on the Windows 2003 box destined to be a DC.

Nue
"Dr. VanNostrin" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> I currently have a Windows 2000 Server which is a domain controller,
> and is also running Exchange Server 2003.  I'm going to be adding a
> new Windows 2003 Server (which will also be a domain controller), and
> will be migrating the existing Exchange Server 2003 to the new server.
> My question is in the adprep process....  From the research I've done,
> it appears I should be able to just run the adprep commands on the
> existing Windows 2000 box, dcpromo the new Windows 2003 Server,
> install Exchange 2003 on the new server, migrate the mailboxes, and
> perform the procedure in KB822931 to remove the existing Exchange
> Server 2003 installation at a later date after all my MAPI clients
> have updated their profiles.  Is this correct?  I just want to be
> clear that I don't have to perform any of the schema changes outlined
> in KB325379 for Exchange 2000 in a Windows 2000 forest....
>
> Thanks for the help!

0
imaneophyte (3004)
1/13/2006 1:24:54 AM
That's not what the OP is referring to, and forestprep and domainprep don't
need to be re-run.  They've already been run in the forest.

Before you bring your first Windows 2003 DC online into a Windows 2000
domain environment, you need to run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep.

As far as the original question, since you already have Exchange 2003
deployed, there won't be any issues.  There is an issue of potential mangled
attributes, but it only applies to Windows 2000 domains with Exchange 2000
installed.  It doesn't apply to 2000 domains with Exchange 2003 installed -
the attributes in question are correctly updated with Exchange 2003
forestprep, so you should be fine.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649 (along with
the one you listed) show the potential problem, but as I said, it doesn't
apply to Exchange 2003.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Once your Windows 2003 box is up you just need to run forestprep and
> domainprep and then DCPromo on the Windows 2003 box destined to be a DC.
>
> Nue
> "Dr. VanNostrin" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I currently have a Windows 2000 Server which is a domain controller,
>> and is also running Exchange Server 2003.  I'm going to be adding a
>> new Windows 2003 Server (which will also be a domain controller), and
>> will be migrating the existing Exchange Server 2003 to the new server.
>> My question is in the adprep process....  From the research I've done,
>> it appears I should be able to just run the adprep commands on the
>> existing Windows 2000 box, dcpromo the new Windows 2003 Server,
>> install Exchange 2003 on the new server, migrate the mailboxes, and
>> perform the procedure in KB822931 to remove the existing Exchange
>> Server 2003 installation at a later date after all my MAPI clients
>> have updated their profiles.  Is this correct?  I just want to be
>> clear that I don't have to perform any of the schema changes outlined
>> in KB325379 for Exchange 2000 in a Windows 2000 forest....
>>
>> Thanks for the help!

0
Ben
1/13/2006 3:38:23 PM
Ben

Interesting point on ADPrep. Based on what you said the Exchange 2003 schema
extension is a superset of the Windows Server 2003 schema. Is that correct?

Nue
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:ej6BmdFGGHA.208@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> That's not what the OP is referring to, and forestprep and domainprep
> don't need to be re-run.  They've already been run in the forest.
>
> Before you bring your first Windows 2003 DC online into a Windows 2000
> domain environment, you need to run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep.
>
> As far as the original question, since you already have Exchange 2003
> deployed, there won't be any issues.  There is an issue of potential
> mangled attributes, but it only applies to Windows 2000 domains with
> Exchange 2000 installed.  It doesn't apply to 2000 domains with Exchange
> 2003 installed - the attributes in question are correctly updated with
> Exchange 2003 forestprep, so you should be fine.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649 (along with
> the one you listed) show the potential problem, but as I said, it doesn't
> apply to Exchange 2003.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Once your Windows 2003 box is up you just need to run forestprep and
>> domainprep and then DCPromo on the Windows 2003 box destined to be a DC.
>>
>> Nue
>> "Dr. VanNostrin" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I currently have a Windows 2000 Server which is a domain controller,
>>> and is also running Exchange Server 2003.  I'm going to be adding a
>>> new Windows 2003 Server (which will also be a domain controller), and
>>> will be migrating the existing Exchange Server 2003 to the new server.
>>> My question is in the adprep process....  From the research I've done,
>>> it appears I should be able to just run the adprep commands on the
>>> existing Windows 2000 box, dcpromo the new Windows 2003 Server,
>>> install Exchange 2003 on the new server, migrate the mailboxes, and
>>> perform the procedure in KB822931 to remove the existing Exchange
>>> Server 2003 installation at a later date after all my MAPI clients
>>> have updated their profiles.  Is this correct?  I just want to be
>>> clear that I don't have to perform any of the schema changes outlined
>>> in KB325379 for Exchange 2000 in a Windows 2000 forest....
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help!

0
imaneophyte (3004)
1/13/2006 3:49:21 PM
Not sure what you mean by superset here.

Exchange 2003 forestprep (or Exchange 2000 forestprep for that matter) adds
schema extensions to active directory for Exchange.  It doesn't matter what
version of AD you are on (2000 or 2003) - they are the same.  Exchange 2003
includes some schema extensions that Exchange 2000 didn't have.

Windows 2003 adprep /forestprep makes some minor changes to the schema that
are detailed (to some degree) in the first KB article the OP mentioned.
Exchange 2003 Forestprep takes care of some of these changes (such as adding
the InetOrgPerson attribute) such that mangled attributes do not occur.

--

> Ben
>
> Interesting point on ADPrep. Based on what you said the Exchange 2003
> schema extension is a superset of the Windows Server 2003 schema. Is that
> correct?
>
> Nue
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:ej6BmdFGGHA.208@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> That's not what the OP is referring to, and forestprep and domainprep
>> don't need to be re-run.  They've already been run in the forest.
>>
>> Before you bring your first Windows 2003 DC online into a Windows 2000
>> domain environment, you need to run windows 2003 adprep /forestprep.
>>
>> As far as the original question, since you already have Exchange 2003
>> deployed, there won't be any issues.  There is an issue of potential
>> mangled attributes, but it only applies to Windows 2000 domains with
>> Exchange 2000 installed.  It doesn't apply to 2000 domains with Exchange
>> 2003 installed - the attributes in question are correctly updated with
>> Exchange 2003 forestprep, so you should be fine.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649 (along
>> with the one you listed) show the potential problem, but as I said, it
>> doesn't apply to Exchange 2003.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Once your Windows 2003 box is up you just need to run forestprep and
>>> domainprep and then DCPromo on the Windows 2003 box destined to be a DC.
>>>
>>> Nue
>>> "Dr. VanNostrin" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Ben

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Running Money 2003 in Vista

Concatenation question
I am trying to concatenate two fields and then add text in brackets to the end. Here is what I have: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & ", " & [Me.FirstName] & " (Mgr)") I want the end result to be: Smith, Mary (Mgr) How do I achieve this? Thank you, Terri What you've done will work. You can also use the "+" operator if there is a possibility that there will be a missing first name: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & "," & (" "+ [Me.FirstName]) & " (Mgr)") That will avoid an extra spa...

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2003
Just bought new PC. Everything is Microsoft. XP Home - Microsoft Works (came installed) - User like to use MSN for e-mail, Sent Microsoft $300.00 to activate Office that came installed on machine. Word will not allow MSN to be the e-mail client. System crashed and burned after activation of Office. Outlook 2003 seems a little unstable. Why would a new PC with Works, Office Express and Outlook 2003 be shipped? All these programs do the same thing and they don't seem to talk with each other well. On top of this all she wants to do is use Word and send the document through MSN nor...

fiscal year setting question
hi. i know that the fiscal year settings get more or less set in stone, so i had a quick question before i set it for my org. in the template field, what is that used for? if i select 'quarterly', does that mean i can only run reports on a quarter basis? what if i wanted to do monthly reports? ultimately, my question is what is the 'template' field used for? thanks! Hi Jeff, Fiscal year setting must be aligned to your company's accountig policy. Fiscal year setting primarily defines sales quotas. When you set quarterly periods, you can set quarterly quotas for mem...

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Moving Exchange #5

Backing Up Exchange Database

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

Outlook 2003

Outlook 2003 rules question again

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Troubleshooting Exchange
I'm just wanting to write some 'proof of concept' scripts relating to Exchange that would help in troubleshooting any issues. Like the Exchange connections/second, etc. Are there any other qualitative data that can be used in general troubleshooting? Marco ...