Exchange 2000 box freezes and needs reboot DAILY!

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my mail server.  The box freezes (Move mouse
NOTHING hit keyboad NOTHING) and seems to shut
it's self down (At the time it hung).  Fun Eh?  My first thoughts were
screen saver settings.  The
next thing was the video card drivers, changed them and same thing.  So
tried new vid card to no avail.  Changed to PCI vid card still the same
effect.  Now starting to think it's the motherboard or some combination of
settings.

Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing my problem?

Looking into the event viewer there is nothing extraordinary about the log.

I do get the event ID 6008 "The previous system shut down at 12:00pm on
xx/xx/xx was unexpected.

Very very bad server ;)

System
Win2k ADV Server Wsp4
AD/DNS/Exchange 2000 Ent.
Asus P4P800 MB
Intel p4 3.0g
PCI Vid card
2gig ram

DBC

0
dbc420 (1)

Is this a name-brand server-class system?  You really need to run some sort
of diagnostics on it.  Suspects in the case of freezing could be any number
of things.  Most manufacturers have diagnostics that can be run against your
system.  If it isn't a name brand system, then you need to find something
that can be run against the system to do diagnostics.  Google would be a
good place to look.

You can also look at downloading and running the Exchange Best Practices
Analyzer.  It's a recently released tool that will do quite a few checks for
you.
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2003/exbpa/default.asp

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"dbc" <dbc420@nohotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with my mail server.  The box freezes (Move mouse
> NOTHING hit keyboad NOTHING) and seems to shut
> it's self down (At the time it hung).  Fun Eh?  My first thoughts were
> screen saver settings.  The
> next thing was the video card drivers, changed them and same thing.  So
> tried new vid card to no avail.  Changed to PCI vid card still the same
> effect.  Now starting to think it's the motherboard or some combination of
> settings.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing my problem?
>
> Looking into the event viewer there is nothing extraordinary about the
> log.
>
> I do get the event ID 6008 "The previous system shut down at 12:00pm on
> xx/xx/xx was unexpected.
>
> Very very bad server ;)
>
> System
> Win2k ADV Server Wsp4
> AD/DNS/Exchange 2000 Ent.
> Asus P4P800 MB
> Intel p4 3.0g
> PCI Vid card
> 2gig ram
>
> DBC

0
Ben

How to install Exchange MMC components on workstation
After I installed Exchange on the Exchange server box AD Users and Computers MMC now allows me to add mailboxes when creating a new user. How do I install this component on the AD Users and Computers MMC at my workstation? Thanks, David H You run setup from the Exchange CD and choose a Custom Install and select the Exchange management tools only (Exchange System Manager). This does require you having the Windows 2000/2003 Administrative tools installed, and you also need to have IIS/SMTP snap-in installed on your workstation. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "David H" <...

Best Practices Analyzer, exchange server could not be contacted
The exchange server is working correctly, I just want to try to run the "Best Practices Analyzer Tool". But all it can tell me is "Server could not be contacted". Exchange tells me 6.5.7638.1 Windows Server 2003 with updates. Using terminal services to log in as administrator The exchange server is also a DNS server and an AD server (and runs IIS for outlook web access). BPAT connects to AD correctly, it's only the 'scan' that fails with a 'could not connect' error. Any suggestions? (david) Hi David You also need the adequate rights on ex...

Need help in Cleveland Ohio USA
I am looking for a CRM user in the Cleveland Ohio area to talk with about implementing CRM. Please email me if if interested. Thanks. ...

EMail outside Exchange
Hi, We have an AS400 system in the agency along with Windows/Exchange 2000 environment. The AS400 group wants to send emails through their system to Exchange recipients (internal and external). What needs to be done on the Exchange for this to happen? thanks. On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:32:02 -0800, wli2k2 <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >We have an AS400 system in the agency along with Windows/Exchange 2000 >environment. The AS400 group wants to send emails through their system to >Exchange recipients (internal and external). > >What needs to...

Exch2k3 cluster keeps failing! Need urgent help please...
I am having *major* issues with my exchange cluster today, and I don't know what else to do. I have a 2-node A/P exch2k3 cluster, and all of a sudden the "smtp virtual server instance" would go into an "online-pending" state. Once this happens, everyone loses their connection to the server. After a while, it goes from online-pending, to failed. That problem is bad enough, but another problem is that, it didn't failover to the next node, and I've run diagnostics on the server nodes, and they seem to be fine hardware-wise. These nodes are connected to an ...

Strange Disk space problem on Exchange 2003 Server
Strange Disk space problem on Exchange 2003 Server I have Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 server with 56G D: volume where all Exchange stuff is installed. I noticed today that there are only 14GB free space and 42G in use. The Priv is only 4G, back ups have worked fine, no log files, no large Page file. In fact I can only account for 10G of data on the partition including page file, all of Exchange, and hidden and system files. Also, I looked backed over my records and the disk is filling up quickly. (3 G in last two weeks?) Anyone have any ideas what is going on here? mick2767@hotmai...

Backup exchange 2003
Hi, How to backup an exchange 2003 in a Windows 2003 Server? SF NTBackup on the Exchange Server, select Microsoft Information Store. Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >How to backup an exchange 2003 in a Windows 2003 Server? > >SF > > >. > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:32:59 -0800, Patrick Rouse [MVP] wrote: > NTBackup on the Exchange Server, select Microsoft > Information Store. But remember to backup the Exchange database(s) and system state in two different jobs, otherwise the backup will fail. Also see...

Need help undating money 2000 to 2004
Hi, I am currently using money 2000 because I have been unable to upgrade to money 2004, it says it can't do this, so does anyone know where I can get a download/trial of money 2002 to bridge the gap? Or is there another way to do this? Thanks in advance Ange What exactly is the error message? If it is "Incompatible version" see http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/96.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. ...

I need to track stats for my pool league.
I am the new treasurer and statustician for a billiards pool league and I have to make up all of the programs myself. I haven't a clue as to how to do this the easiest way. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. "Jody" <jojos_sporty@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5A1DB5C4-598F-4FAD-9395-F98957BD8B93@microsoft.com... >I am the new treasurer and statustician for a billiards pool league and I > have to make up all of the programs myself. I haven't a clue as to how to > do > this the easiest way. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. > Then ...

Changing values in a value box
Hi all, I have a data set that looks like this: DATE A$ B$ A% B% mar-14 50 100 33 66 mar-21 100 100 50 50 mar-28 75 25 75 25 I want to chart the percentages by each date, but I want the "value" box to display the dollars. The only way I can think to trick the Excel chart is create 2 x-axises and hide the $ axis, but then the $ values don't match the height of the % columns. Is there a way to link the $ values to the % columns? Thanks. Josh, To chart only the percentages, select the Date column, and also the two % columns (drag throug...

How to use Word 2000 as e-mail editor in Outlook 2003
Hello all, With the purchase of SBS 2003 Server came the ClientApps install of Outlook 2003. This upgraded all of the Outlook 2000's but now Word 2000 can't be used as the e-mail editor. The spot is greyed out and says Word 2003 for Editor. This has cost us our ability to fax out of Outlook since Word must be the editor for that function. Has anyone else encountered this and found a fix? Thanks, Todd There is no fix - Word and Outlook versions must match for automation to work - it has always been this way. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group ...

License usage for Microsoft Exchange Server
Yesterday I noticed a warning event in the event viewer that the "License usage for product Microsoft Exchange 2003 is nearing the maximum number or per server licenses purchased" In the licensing application I show that for "Per Server Purchased" we have 100 licenses and for "Per Server Reached" the value is -112 (!??). When I select the properties of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, it shows we have 100 licenses purchased and have reached 94. Even this 94 amount is hard to believe. There are a total of 48 mailboxes showing in ESM and at the very most I...

RE: Excel Drop down box question
Hey all, I am using excel 2007 on XP Professional SP2. I am using a drop down box on a worksheet that selects from a column of designated data elsewhere on the worksheet. The data I have is 1 row of codes, with 1 row of descriptions for that code. I would like to select a code in the drop down box and have the corresponding description fill in an adjacent cell to the drop down box. Is this possible? Example Codes Description 1 One 2 Two 3 Three 4 Four etc... When code '1' is selected in the drop down box for cell A1, I want cell A2 to populate ...

Worksheet drop boxes
I am trying to design a workbook containing all my fitness/nutrition lo information. Basically I have made a worksheet in this workbook that lists variou food items by name in rows, the nutrition information is listed i colums for protein, fats, carbohydrates etc. On another worksheet in the workbook I would like to have a series o cells when selected a drop box appears so I can select a food item fro the other worksheet. I will be using a VLOOK function to bring acros the nutrition information. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can do this? :confused -- Message posted from http://ww...

Fax solution with Exchange 2003
Similar to th email fuctionality I would like to implement a fax solution for MS CRM 3.0. This means sending all faxes to an exchange public folder (HR, Sales,...) and use a CRM Fax Router to duplicate (as done by Email router) the requiremed Sales faxes into a CRM queue where they can be checked and assigned (maybe automatic assignment according to fax no.). Sendig faxes should be handled via the Exchange server (necessary?). For non CRM users the Fax GUI in Outlook can be used to send faxes out. Can I use the standard MS Server 2003 Fax services for this? What else do I need to direc...

Excel 2000 to Excel 97
I have Excel 2000 at home and Excel 97 at work. When I make a workbook or worksheet at home and then take it to work, I am unable to make or add changes to worksheet at work, but i can at home, anyone know how to fix this?????thanks If just saved as an excel workbook instead of some specific then it should work except for features available in 2000 that may not be available in 97. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "frankie" <frankie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD00F817-7974-4F7A-A186-AA97F42E5BEE@microsoft.com... > I have Excel 20...

Exchange 2000 - Additional Server
Hi We have 2 sites, connected via a 256k leased line, separated into 2 subnets. On the site with the Internet gateway, we have an Exchange server 2000, which currently all clients at both sites connect to via Outlook 2000. We have approx 25 users at each site. I would like to put a second exchange server at our remote site, so that when they get attachments etc, they don't have to wait forever etc. We would then have each person's mailbox on the server that they normally use, I can get my site log on scripts to deal with which Exchange server they use. I am thinking maybe we coul...

Webcast today: Simplify your Exchange Migration Planning
FYI I'll be delivering this webcast shortly ... will be heavily focused on Exchange assessments especially from the perspective of planning an Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 migration. Still time to sign up ... webcast starts at 12 Eastern. http://quest.com/requests/?RequestDefID=1942 Effective and comprehensive planning is paramount to any successful migration. With the recent release of Microsoft Exchange 2003, many companies are thinking about or planning a migration to Exchange 2003. Learn how to simplify your exchange migration with helpful tips and tricks from our in-house exchange ...

need to retrieve deleted message.Help
Hi there.I have permanatly deleted a message that i need to retrieve can you help me. > Hi there.I have permanatly deleted a message that i need to retrieve > can you help me. How did you delete it? What type of mail server? -- -f.h. Unless you have a backup or use exchange server, it's probably gone. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/recover_deleted.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outl...

CListCtrl and draw a selection box
I am using a CListCtrl in report mode. Normally a user can draw a box with the mouse to select items (just like you can do in Explorer to select files). But if I use LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT this doesn't work so well anymore. If the user click to the right of the most right column he can draw a box, otherwise will the item he clicked on be selected. But I prefer that the user always can use the selection box regardless where he clicked. Is it possible to do this in a simple way? PEK ...

Need a Function for Grouping
I have a question. I am new to Excel and I have been challenged with a task of grouping students that need the same course in Excel 2007 by my employer. Example: Billy needs Math, Science, and English; Jill needs Math and English; Eric needs only Science; Jane needs Math, Science, and English; Adam needs Math and English. How would I group 50+ students that need the same course, and what type of formula do I use? I need them to group like: Group A, Group B, Group C, etc... Ingus Smith;219998 Wrote: > I have a question. I am new to Excel and I have been challenged with a > task &...

need help with lookup
I have a table of values like this from A1 to B4 A B 1 123 wall 2 254 chair 3 389 book 4 478 pen Now I want to write a function (maybe with "lookup") to look at the first tree characters in coloum A and return the value of it (here, writen in coloumb B) I have tried with this: A B C 1 123 wall =lookup(left(A1;3);A1:B4;2) 2 254 chair 3 389 book 4 478 pen but I get #N/A in C1 if I write =lookup(123;A1:B4;2) I get 2 where as I would like to get wall can anyone help pls? Hi Try using VLOOKUP() =VLOOKUP(123,A1:B4,2,FALSE) -- Andy. "khers Field" <field@yahoo.com&g...

Outlook 2000 how to change default margins
My margins in my Outlook e-mails are coming up as '0.00' and 10.25. How do I change default so that they are reasonable such as 1.00 and 7.00? Regards and thanks, Steve ...

need to import a svg file into publisher
I have some drawings as svg format, and I need to import them into MO Publisher 2007. Then I want to modify/edit these drawings direct in Publisher. HOW ?!! Thks ! Do you have a drawing program? I open .svg images in Corel. You might try using the free Serif program DrawPlus. If you want to edit the image in Publisher you have to maintain the vector format. http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E2AF9A3-7098-45FA-868E-DD6BD5F9FDA1@microsoft.com... >I have ...