Exchange 2000 Badmail directory

I've seen some discussion about the Badmail folder, but
does anyone know how to prevent email from going there?
Just cleaning it out is easy, but I need it to stop
processing for it. Disk I/O is quite heavy because of it.
0
mblum (1)

I don't know of any way to keep things from going there - why not write a
batch file that deletes the contents and schedule it to run every X hours or
so?

del <full path to badmail>\*.* /q

Mark wrote:
> I've seen some discussion about the Badmail folder, but
> does anyone know how to prevent email from going there?
> Just cleaning it out is easy, but I need it to stop
> processing for it. Disk I/O is quite heavy because of it.

0
lanwench (7567)
2/19/2004 2:24:28 AM
You can also go into your SMTP Virtual Server-Messages Tab and remove the
path for Badmail Directory.

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

"Mark" <mblum@hannaandersson.com> wrote in message
> I've seen some discussion about the Badmail folder, but
> does anyone know how to prevent email from going there?
> Just cleaning it out is easy, but I need it to stop
> processing for it. Disk I/O is quite heavy because of it.

0
jcoliverjr (1013)
2/19/2004 4:53:00 AM
Mark,
Exchange by default accepts messages even if the user name is invalid.
Messages that you see in the badmail directory get there because
someone, mostly spammers, sent an e-mail message to your server, which
could not be delivered to the final recipient.

You can use a third party email filtering solution that performs and
Active Directory lookup before accepting any email. This way if messages
for invalid users won't end up in your badmail directory.

We use Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) in our company and I
would highly recommend it.

M.

Mark wrote:
> I've seen some discussion about the Badmail folder, but
> does anyone know how to prevent email from going there?
> Just cleaning it out is easy, but I need it to stop
> processing for it. Disk I/O is quite heavy because of it.

Outlook 2000 PST
I get the following error messages when trying to open my Outlook 2000 .pst file: Message 1: Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use. (then I click OK) Message 2: The file c:\Documents and Settings\Marshall\My Documents\outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. I checked to make sure the file is not set as read-only. It's not. Please help. argarg <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get the following error messages when trying to open my > Outlook 2000 .pst file: > Message 1: Properties for this information service must be &g...

windows 2003 server directory access problem
hi,all I install oracle server 9.2 on a 2003 server ,and the ora92 directory access permission is as below: D:\oracle>xcacls ora92 D:\oracle\ora92 NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(special access:) READ_CONTROL FILE_READ_DATA FILE_READ_EA FILE_EXECUTE FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F ...

I need to import quicksell 2000 into Miscrosoft Dynamics RMS
I need help from anyone who has any ideal on how to export from quicksell 2000 into rms 2.0. I don't know anything about either of these programs. I need to get this program up and running ASAP. -- Thank you for all your help, Rustylady after you have the RMS application installed create a new database from the blank database template, then use the import from quicksell 2000 command. this is all found in the administrator. -- Aaron Kessler President, @ce Computing, inc 718-261-3375 "Rustylady" <Rustylady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C08D1ABC-B...

Setup replacement Exchange 2000 server
We run Exchange 2000 Server SP3 on a Compaq DL380 Proliant generation 1 server. I purchased a new DL380 G4 to replace the old server. I cannot upgrade to Exchange 2003 server because our agency cannot afford it at this time. I need to keep the same host name and file structure on the new server and I know how to do that. But, I am not sure about how to get the Exchange data from the old server to the new one. What are the steps that I need to take to accomplish this task? Be careful here. In order to use the same host name, you will have to power down the old server before you br...

exchange server 2000 service pack question
okay i feel dumb asking this...but how do you determine which service pack is installed on a exchange 2000 box??? i was hoping this could help...but nope...not for 2000... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B279631 thanks!!! It can be found in the properties of the server in Administrative Groups. Chris For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchange.co.uk >-----Original Message----- >okay i feel dumb asking this...but how do you determine which service pack >is installed on a exchange 2000 box??? > >i was hoping this could h...

Outlook 2000
I have Outlook 2000 SR-1 installed on my desktop at my company's corporate office. The product id is 06101-OEM-0079624-85020. The 'out of office assistant' tool is not on the tools menu or anywhere else and I cannot figure out a way to use this tool so I can set up my e-mail to automatically respond to senders with a message that "I am out of the office". Janice Wortham <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > The 'out of office assistant' tool is not on the tools > menu or anywhere else and I cannot figure out a way to use > this...

Will CRM for Outlook work when using Exchange RPC over HTTPS?
I just got RPC over HTTPS working for Outlook to access the exchange server over the internet without a VPN. Does anyone know if it's possible to make CRM work as well? Or is a VPN required? Thanks. No as CRM requires access to the SQL server, VPN access is required. "sebgood" wrote: > I just got RPC over HTTPS working for Outlook to access the exchange server > over the internet without a VPN. Does anyone know if it's possible to make > CRM work as well? Or is a VPN required? > > Thanks. ...

HELP! Exchange server can add feeds but not download items. Any thoughts?
I have configured Exchange to use the NNTP service which works fine on the server but when I add a feed it can connect to the server and replicate the folders, but then i get "STATUS IS FAILURE" when it goes to download the messages. Any thoughts? ...

Outlook 2000 asking for logon...??
One of our laptops (Win2k Prof) with Outlook 2000 -- after I reformatted & set up (I believe) exactly like another laptop... now asks for "name, domain name & password." The other one just opens right up. Also, once you put the info in, it takes a VERY long time to finally open. Anyone know how to change this? Thanks, Sherry ...

exchange backup #8
Hello, I've been backing up Exchange 5.5 on a box and Exchange 2003 on another, there's no connection between the two. My question is I've been backing them up with the Windows backup utility and I was wonder if the Exchange services needed to be stopped. Any time I've backed them they seem to backup just fine. Take nothing for granted!! Is there anyway to check to make sure I've got a good backup of Exchange, maybe create a dumbie mailbox delete it and then try to restore that?? Thanks for your time, Craig No, you do not have to stop exchange services to do a ...

Outlook 2000 From Field
I cannot get my Outlook 2000 to show me the From field so I can change which of my 3 accounts I send a message from. I can do this in Outlook Express and Outlook 2002 but I cannot find it in Outlook 2000. Where is this hidden? ...

MS Exchange 5.5
I'm running MS Exchange Server 5.5 and getting the following messages in the event log during start up: Unexpected error <<0xc0040000 - The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000>> occurred. Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. Error 0xfffffdfd. Error 0xfffffdfd initializing the Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store database. MSExchangeIS ...

outlook 2000 #227
My problem is as followed. IMAP message disappears from the inbox when I forward and rely to the message. Does anybody known the fix for this. Thanks Do you have a view set to hide read items? See View > Current View. "Brian" <bjohnson@cpeincmail.com> wrote in message news:%230RXAMoEIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > My problem is as followed. > > IMAP message disappears from the inbox when I forward and rely to the > message. Does anybody known the fix for this. > > Thanks > > ...

Outlook 2007 Using Hosted Exchange, Do I need to backup?
I am using a hosted exchange service through my web host. Do I need to backup my Outlook data or is my exchange data my backup? Mike Your Exchange data is your original. Ask your hosted Exchange service provider to ask who is responsible for the backups and which method they advise to use for their service if you need to do it yourself. An end-user method for backing up Exchange is described here; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downlo...

Exchange 5.5 moving to new location/city
MS Exchange 5.5 moving to new City - what problems do I look for? We have a Exchange 5.5 that is located in San Antonio and is connected to our offices in Houston. We use forms that were created and maintaine in SA. The forms are tied into a database for data storage. We want to move the Exchange physical from SA to Dallas. We want to make sure that now our Dallas offfice and our SA office can communicate and use the Forms that were created before in SA. The Houston, office is not connected to us any longer. What do i need to do to get the SA/Dallas to work asap with a physical move...

internet email and exchange problem O2K2
Hi All, Sorry about the cross post but I am having a strange problem with one user in my office and I am not sure which one to post in. I have setup all users to have an internet email account (default) and an exchange mailbox. The user goes to the internet and gets their own mail and then it is delivered to their exchange mailbox as opposed to a PST file. This is all very straight forward and workds great for all except one user. This users email that is bound for the internet, sits in his outbox forever. I have tried numerous things to get this email to go and there are a few ways ...

Open comma delimited file- Excel 2000
How do I open a comma delimited file in Excel 2000. I open to the folder, but the file name does not appear. Advise appreciated. Hal Leonard In the file as type menu in the bottom make sure "all files is selected" >-----Original Message----- >How do I open a comma delimited file in Excel 2000. I >open to the folder, but the file name does not appear. > >Advise appreciated. > Hal Leonard >. > Ali Many thanks. Your answer was most welcome. You would not believe how much time I wasted looking for the answer you gave me. ...

Webhosted POP3 without a Exchange POP3
Hello, My current environment includes a windows SBS 2003 domain with exchange 2003. Our e-mail currently is being webhosted and most of our users have Exchange POP3 mailboxes setup. This is working just fine for getting mail from the Internet. The problem that I am having is that I have a user who has a webhosted POP3 account but is not setup with a Exchange POP3 mailbox and since the user is not setup with the mailbox I can not send her e-mail and I get an error about an e-mail that does not exist at the organization. This makes sense because no Exchange mailbox was setup. I can not se...

Outlook 2003, 2007 and Exchange 2003, 2007
Has anyone had this issue? I have both Exchange 2003 and 2007 under different Organizations, and a ton of users with Outlook 2003 and 2007 clients. I would like to configure a way to share the calendars in both mail clients, regardless of which email post office they reside in. Has anyone gone through with this? Or point me in the right direction. You might want to post this to an Exchange group since sharing is an Exchange feature and having a mixed environment of server and client makes this more complicated. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep t...

Exchange Server 2003 and Outlook 2003
I'm part of a small company looking to share our contacts, calendars, and Journals across outlook 2003. The problem is in order to do this you must have Exchange server. How hard is it for a small business of 25 to set up exchange server and what type of hardware / software are we looking at? Brent <bwilson@azteca.com> wrote: > I'm part of a small company looking to share our contacts, calendars, > and Journals across outlook 2003. The problem is in order to do this > you must have Exchange server. How hard is it for a small business of > 25 to set up exchange serve...

Exchange 5.5 search all messages
Hi, We're running Exchange 5.5 Sp4 and I've been asked if it is possible to search through all the data in our private information store for a specific word/s. Does anyone know if this can be done at the server level, or will it have to be done on each mailbox? Thanks in advance. Steven I've used Exmerge to quickly clean an Exchange server from a virus/worm outbreak, but I have a feeling that when you mention "specific words" that you are looking for something that can scan the body of messages. I'm not aware of anything that can do that and/or what end yo...

Can Exchange 2003 server host multiple AD domains email
I have two domains that share a trust. One domain has a 2003 Exchange server. I would like this email server to host mail for the trusted domain also. Can the Exchange server host mail for both domains. -- bltmayo I'm assuming you are talking about domains as in "Active Directory" and not SMTP. Are these two domains in the same AD forest? If so, yes, easily. Run SETUP /DOMAINPREP on the other domain, then create an additional RUS in your Exchange System Manager that points to a DC in the other domain. If it is a separate domain, you can still do this, but you will nee...

Excel 2000: How do I make a simple chart with *two* value axes?
I am struggling to do something very basic in Excel 2000. I'm starting to think it is impossible, which is hard to imagine. So, can someone help? In a nutshell, the problem is that Excel seems to specify only one "value" axis, with the other being a "category" axis. Whereas I want two value axes. Is there a way to do that? If you didn't understand that... Let's say I have three lines I want to plot: Line #1: (1, 10), (10, 20), (50, 30) Line #2: (1, 15), (10, 25), (50, 35) Line #3: (1, 17), (10, 27), (50, 37) So each line has x values 1, 10, and 50. The...

Microsoft Outlook 2000 error
Every time I send an e-mail or reply to an e-mail I get an error box from Outlook that states that this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. The detail message always says module < unknown > . The e-mail however always goes and I also receive with no problem. The only thing is that I have to restart outlook every time. Please offer some help if you can. ...

Exchange Event ID 9153 and 8213 logged after turning off old NT4 P
Hi Our last Exchange 5.5 server was removed from the 2000 administrative group (followed MS article 284148). The Exchange organisation was still running in mixed mode. The NT4 domain PDC was turned off in preparation for decommissioning. I started receiving Event ID: 9153 'Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported an error '0xc00706fc' when setting DS notification.' Event ID: 8213 'System Attendant Service failed to create session for virtual machine 'ServerName'. The error number is 0xc007054b.' Email messages being sent from outlook client where bei...