Exch2k3 - Public Folders - Orphaned Accounts

We have quite a few accounts that were somehow orphaned on our public
folders.  It presents itself by either displaying the old sid or as a one off
email address with rights to the folder.

The problem is that it is hard to find these orphaned accounts  The events
being logged don't list the piblic folder.  Is there an easy way to clean
these up or search all the public folders for the accounts.  3rd Party tools?
 Anything.

Thanks,
John
0
jspanitz (4)

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324323 may help, but just be careful with
this.  This will remove all orphaned/zombie accounts.  It probably won't
remove the ACL unless it is displayed as a zombie (SID only), but it should
at least help.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"jspanitz" <jspanitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have quite a few accounts that were somehow orphaned on our public
> folders.  It presents itself by either displaying the old sid or as a one
> off
> email address with rights to the folder.
>
> The problem is that it is hard to find these orphaned accounts  The events
> being logged don't list the piblic folder.  Is there an easy way to clean
> these up or search all the public folders for the accounts.  3rd Party
> tools?
> Anything.
>
> Thanks,
> John

0
Ben
7/11/2005 1:19:56 PM
The article states exch2k.  Does this apply to exch2k3 as well?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324323 may help, but just be careful with
> this.  This will remove all orphaned/zombie accounts.  It probably won't
> remove the ACL unless it is displayed as a zombie (SID only), but it should
> at least help.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "jspanitz" <jspanitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have quite a few accounts that were somehow orphaned on our public
> > folders.  It presents itself by either displaying the old sid or as a one
> > off
> > email address with rights to the folder.
> >
> > The problem is that it is hard to find these orphaned accounts  The events
> > being logged don't list the piblic folder.  Is there an easy way to clean
> > these up or search all the public folders for the accounts.  3rd Party
> > tools?
> > Anything.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John

0
jspanitz (4)
7/11/2005 1:42:03 PM
It should.  There really haven't been a lot of articles updated to reflect
that they apply to both.  The architecture of 2K and 2K3 is virtually
identical relating to this, so I wouldn't have any problems running this in
a 2K3 environment.

--

> The article states exch2k.  Does this apply to exch2k3 as well?
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324323 may help, but just be careful
>> with
>> this.  This will remove all orphaned/zombie accounts.  It probably won't
>> remove the ACL unless it is displayed as a zombie (SID only), but it
>> should
>> at least help.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "jspanitz" <jspanitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have quite a few accounts that were somehow orphaned on our public
>> > folders.  It presents itself by either displaying the old sid or as a
>> > one
>> > off
>> > email address with rights to the folder.
>> >
>> > The problem is that it is hard to find these orphaned accounts  The
>> > events
>> > being logged don't list the piblic folder.  Is there an easy way to
>> > clean
>> > these up or search all the public folders for the accounts.  3rd Party
>> > tools?
>> > Anything.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > John

0
Ben

How to Hide Left Panel of Folder Window?
I'm well behind the Windows curve and I'm just now learning to use Windows XP Home. Up to now I've been using Windows 2000 Pro. On my XP desktop I have a shortcut to my music folder which containins my MP3 files. When I double click on the shortcut, a window opens on the desktop displaying the contents of my music folder. This window has a panel along the left side containing items like "File and Folder Tasks" and "Other Places." I can't figure out how to close, hide or otherwise delete this panel. This panel takes up a lot of prec...

Possible to send email directly to a folder?
I know I've seen this done but I cannot remember how to send email to a folder by using its address in the CC: block.... When sending email, how can I also include the "address" of an OL folder in one of my open PSTso it automatically receives a copy of the email (much like Sent Items)? How about to my OL folders in my Exchange server? I have some templates filled with about 90% of what I have to send on a recurring basis, and preconfiguring the folder where I copy these (ffor later reference) would save me some work. I can swear I did this before but cannot find it now. TI...

Adding Contacts Folder as Address Book in Exchange Server
I am trying to add my contacts folder to my address book in Outlook XP and don't see the Tools, Options I used to see in Outlook 2000. How can I add this folder to my address book? Is that an option you can turn on or off for a profile in Exchange Server? Thanks!! -- Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly Right click on your Contacts folder, go to properties, outlook address book. Can you tick the box there? If not, go to tools, e-mail accounts, view/change address books, and make sure you have the Outlook Address Book option there. Then try right-clicking...

AOL IMAP account
I have set up AOL email account as IMAP type and keep getting pop up in outlook " your IMAP server wants to alert you the following: Can't read attachment for message 6438. this pops up for many times and each time the number is different. new profile same issue. Office Version:Office 2007 Operating System:Windows Vista / Windows 7 - same issue. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently p...

Accounts Payable Unapply should allow Unapply of historical trans.
The Unapply button on the Apply Payables Document is really just an unmark all button. Please rename this button and add the functionality to unapply historical payments, credit memos and returns. I believe this functionality exists for SOP and should be there for AP. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and th...

Activities/Journaling for Public Folder Contacts
I've created a company contacts folder in the Public Folders on Exchange 2k3. I've also created a journal folder in the public folders. I can set the contact folder to search the journal folder when I hit the activities tab, but I can't figure out how to make new journal entries go into the public folder journal instead of my mailbox journal. How do I do this? ...

RPC over HTTP to Exch2k3
Hi, When I go to setup Outlook 2003 to do RPC over HTTP to an Exchange 2003 server (running on Windows 2003 Server), I get to the part where I am supposed to check "Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP" under the "Connections" tab, but no such option exists! I've scoured the web but can't find any resources that tell me why I am missing this option. If someone could help me determine why this option isn't displayed, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, dave I will assume that you are running Windows XP (SP1), but did apply http://su...

Public folder issue, "messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
I'm running a SBS2003 domain and just added a public folder and a customized form for entry into the public folder. All of our clients (all XP Pro, Outlook 2003 with all updates) can get to that folder and use the form without any difficulty except for one. On one computer I get the classic "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." error message. I have tried a repair install, no change. I have tried making a new profile, no change. I have tried adding / removing his PST file (currently he's not even using a pst file...

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Creating Contacts For Accounts Using...

Issue with Loan Accounts
Hi Everyone, I have been having this issue for a while - but just now trying to figure out what's happening. I have several loans (including car, equity, etc.) which I have set up on Money 7. Sometimes the interest and principle are calculated correctly - but more often, the entire sum of the payment is allocated to principle (as viewed in the account register). I've check to insure that the loan is set up okay - and it looks okay to me. Any ideas what's happening to me? Any help appreciated. Thanks. Patrick Hi, I was really hoping someone would respond to this. My ...

Personal Folder Error when opening Outook 2002
When opening Outlook 2002, I receive the message that the Personal folder was not closed properly and needs to be checked. I allow the check to run, and all is fine. But this error message reappears after I close and reopen Outlook. Please Reply. thanks. ...

How many accounts...
I have outlook 2003 I already installed my hotmail account on it but I want to add my son's hotmail account on it and each time I do so, outlook freeze. Is this normal ? How many hotmail account can I add in outlook 2003 ? tia ...

Saving MY Calendar into "Publication-Calendar"
My problem is that I have to make a certain type of calendar in every month. It would save lots of time forme if I could find a way that I could save my "calendar setting" and also be able to apply the new month's settings. There is any way that I could save my "home-made" calendar into "Publications-Calendar" and call it up just like the other calendars? Thanks. If you have repeating items you just use the Merge for those items every month. -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!" I do not understand ho...

Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2003
I just upgraded my desktop to Office 2007 - Removing the older Office2000. Our Network is all 2003 Servers & Exchange. My Destop is XP SP3 In OL2007 I cannot see/find any of the exisitng public shared calendars that I could see/access in OL2000. I can see them when I'm in Webmail and desktops still running Office 2000 can see the public calendars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks John Which navigation pane are you in? Press Ctrl+6 to see the folder list. BTW, Did you keep the old Outlook 2000 profile? We recommend new profiles when upgrading from older versions. ...

Switching Accounts on Download
To Whom Can Help: MS Money 2007 has started downloading account information into the wrong account--it is swapping it with another account. This happened in a previous version of Money and I don't know how to correct it. In the previous version it was with a Banking account--two savings accounts from the same institution. In this incarnation, it is with two investment accounts--mutual fund versus brokerage account--but from the same institution. Anyone have this happen to them...anyone know of a solution? Thanks for your help. Cheers. In microsoft.public.money, golfbum71 wrote: ...

Error trying to make an account default
I have a new computer and my outlook 2003 is not letting me assign a default account to send and receive. I get this error: "The Specicied Account could not be found. It might have been deleted." I have four accounnts setup and have tried removing the accounts and recreating them and still get the error. when the account has been made, it tests fine. None of the four can be made default. Thanks in Advance! ...

rescuing public contacts
If exchange server is down is there a way of recovering the public contact list? no...if it's a contacts folder in Public folders (or in a mailbox), it cannot be accessed if the store is dismounted/down...unless you invest in something like Ontrack's PowerControls... "mando" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2104201c45a11$a7f87b80$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If exchange server is down is there a way of recovering > the public contact list? ...

'Budget Alerts' in Account Register
Budget Alerts in Account Register I've upgraded to 2006 Deluxe from 2003 Deluxe. In 2003, as I entered transactions in my registers (one Visa and one Bank), if the category I was spending money on went over a budget, I got prompted about it. Along with that prompt when I went over, it also had a little bar graph (similiar to the Spending Tracker you can get on the home page in 2006) for *only* that category. This was nice as it allowed me to see amounts as I entered them..and also *annoyingly* prompted me as I went over budgets...again making me 'think' about the spendin...

Deleted calendar from Public Folders
Accidentally I deleted Calendar in Public Folders on the Exchange 2000. Is there a way to bring it back? I tried to locate an article in Knowlege Base searching with "Recovering deleted items from a public folder", but the article is gone. On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:28:01 -0700, Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Accidentally I deleted Calendar in Public Folders on the Exchange 2000. Is >there a way to bring it back? >I tried to locate an article in Knowlege Base searching with "Recovering >deleted items from a public folder", but the a...