Exch 2003 SP2 - applied on one node, but can't move resources

Following the typical procedures below I am able to update one node at time
of the Exchange 2003 servers to SP2.
As per recommendation below, I applied Exch2003 SP2 to one offline Node1.
Then when I attempt to "move resources" to node Node2, I noticed that
failover doesn't complete - Systems Attendant fails to get started.
In my pre-production environment, I was able to instal   the Exch2003 SP2
only upon taking the resources "offline" in the Cluster administrator tool.
Then I was able to install the Exch2003SP2 on both nodes, upgrade the
Virtual Exchange server and failover occurred normally again upon taking the
cluster resources oline.

My observation is this:
Is this known that on Exch2003 SP2 I need to take resources offline - thus
causing system downtime to my users - in order to apply the Exch2003 SP2 ?

Clustered server
To upgrade a cluster to an Exchange 2003 service pack, you must first run
the Exchange 2003 Service Pack Setup program to upgrade the nodes of the
cluster, and then use Cluster Administrator to upgrade the Exchange virtual
servers. We recommend that you upgrade one Exchange cluster node at a time.

When you upgrade each node, we recommend that you move the Exchange Virtual
Server from the node that you are upgrading to another node. This procedure
lets users access their e-mail through the relocated Exchange Virtual Server
during the Exchange 2003 service pack upgrade process.

You may want to upgrade a Windows 2000-based server cluster that is running
Exchange 2000 Server to a Windows Server 2003-based server cluster that is
running Exchange Server 2003 by using the clean installation method. When
you do this, make sure that you upgrade the Exchange Virtual Server before
you apply any service packs. For more information about this upgrade method,
click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:
842427 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842427/) How to upgrade Exchange
2000 Server to Exchange Server 2003 in an active/passive clustered
environment by doing a clean installation of Windows Server 2003
Note The following example refers to a two-node server cluster. However, the
example also applies to multi-node clusters for Exchange Server 2003.

To help clarify these steps, the sample server cluster that is described
here is a two-node server cluster, and the cluster nodes are named "Cluster
Node 1" and "Cluster Node 2." The following example also uses an Exchange
virtual server that is named "Exchange Virtual Server 1."

To install a service pack or a hotfix for Exchange 2003 on a server cluster,
follow these steps: 1. If you are running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, you
must apply the hotfix that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge
Base article:
      831464 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831464/) FIX: IIS 6.0
compression corruption causes access violations

      Note You must restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
      2. Move "Exchange Virtual Server 1" to "Cluster Node 1." To do this,
right-click "Exchange Virtual Server 1" in the console tree under Groups,
and then click Move Group. The move is complete when the Owner column for
the "Exchange Virtual Server 1" resources changes from "Cluster Node 2" to
"Cluster Node 1".

      Note You must do this to make sure that there are no Exchange virtual
servers that are running on "Cluster Node 2." You must also make sure that
the cluster resource group is not running on "Cluster Node 2."

      In a multi-node scenario, you must make sure that each node on which
you install the service pack is not running either Exchange Virtual Server
or the cluster resource group.

      3. In the Cluster Administrator tool, right-click the "Cluster Node 2"
object, and then click Stop Cluster Service.
      4. Install the Exchange 2003 Service Pack on "Cluster Node 2." For
more information about how to obtain Exchange 2003 service pack, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
      836993 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836993/) How to obtain the
latest service packs for Exchange Server 2003
      5. After you finish installing the Exchange 2003 service pack, click
Yes if you are prompted to restart the computer.

      Note You do not have to restart the computer if you do not receive a
prompt.
      6. After "Cluster Node 2" has restarted, log on, and then start the
Cluster Administrator tool. To do this, click Start, point to Administrative
Tools, and then click Cluster Administrator.
      7. Take all the "Exchange Virtual Server 1" resources offline except
the following resources: . The IP Address resource
            . The Physical Disk resource or resources
            . The Network Name resource
      Note To take a resource offline, right-click the resource, and then
click Take Offline.
      8. In the Cluster Administrator tool, right-click the "Cluster Node 2"
object, and then click Start Cluster Service.
      9. Move the Exchange virtual server to the cluster node in which you
installed the Exchange 2003 service pack. In this example, move "Exchange
Virtual Server 1" to "Cluster Node 2." To do this, right-click the group,
and then click Move Group.
      10. On "Cluster Node 2", start the Cluster Administrator tool.
      11. If you applied a hotfix, go to step 12. If you did not apply a
hotfix, expand the cluster, expand Groups, right-click the group that
contains "Exchange Virtual Server 1," and then click Upgrade Exchange
Virtual Server.
      12. After "Exchange Virtual Server 1" is upgraded successfully, bring
the Exchange resources online on "Cluster Node 2."

      Note After you bring the cluster resources online on the upgraded
"Cluster Node 2," you cannot move them to "Cluster Node 1" until you upgrade
"Cluster Node 1" to the same Exchange 2003 service pack.

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:43:20 -0700, "Marlon Brown"
<MarlonBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Following the typical procedures below I am able to update one node at time
>of the Exchange 2003 servers to SP2.
>As per recommendation below, I applied Exch2003 SP2 to one offline Node1.
>Then when I attempt to "move resources" to node Node2, I noticed that
>failover doesn't complete - Systems Attendant fails to get started.
>In my pre-production environment, I was able to instal   the Exch2003 SP2
>only upon taking the resources "offline" in the Cluster administrator tool.
>Then I was able to install the Exch2003SP2 on both nodes, upgrade the
>Virtual Exchange server and failover occurred normally again upon taking the
>cluster resources oline.
>
>My observation is this:
>Is this known that on Exch2003 SP2 I need to take resources offline - thus
>causing system downtime to my users - in order to apply the Exch2003 SP2 ?

It's not known because you don't need to.

> [...]
>installed the Exchange 2003 service pack. In this example, move "Exchange
>Virtual Server 1" to "Cluster Node 2." To do this, right-click the group,
>and then click Move Group.
>      10. On "Cluster Node 2", start the Cluster Administrator tool.
>      11. If you applied a hotfix, go to step 12. If you did not apply a
>hotfix, expand the cluster, expand Groups, right-click the group that
>contains "Exchange Virtual Server 1," and then click Upgrade Exchange
>Virtual Server.
>      12. After "Exchange Virtual Server 1" is upgraded successfully, bring
>the Exchange resources online on "Cluster Node 2."
>
>      Note After you bring the cluster resources online on the upgraded
>"Cluster Node 2," you cannot move them to "Cluster Node 1" until you upgrade
>"Cluster Node 1" to the same Exchange 2003 service pack.

0
mark7219 (5666)
6/6/2006 7:16:59 PM
Well, in my case that is what is happening.
I installed the Exch2003 SP2 on Node1, then when I attempted to move
resources to Node2, the failover did not complete because 'system attendant'
failed to get moved to the other node and get online. I don't know what
caused this, but I am  prior to the installation of the Exh2003 Sp2, the
failover worked fine.

That was reproduceable in my pre-production environment as well.

> [...]
>>installed the Exchange 2003 service pack. In this example, move "Exchange
>>Virtual Server 1" to "Cluster Node 2." To do this, right-click the group,
>>and then click Move Group.
>>      10. On "Cluster Node 2", start the Cluster Administrator tool.
>>      11. If you applied a hotfix, go to step 12. If you did not apply a
>>hotfix, expand the cluster, expand Groups, right-click the group that
>>contains "Exchange Virtual Server 1," and then click Upgrade Exchange
>>Virtual Server.
>>      12. After "Exchange Virtual Server 1" is upgraded successfully,
>> bring
>>the Exchange resources online on "Cluster Node 2."
>>
>>      Note After you bring the cluster resources online on the upgraded
>>"Cluster Node 2," you cannot move them to "Cluster Node 1" until you
>>upgrade
>>"Cluster Node 1" to the same Exchange 2003 service pack.

Because you posted an enormous list of things I might have missed it,
but at what point did you apply SP2 and then right click on the
cluster group and select "upgrade node" (IIRC that's the phrase)
The notes are very clear on this process that before you move the
cluster group you need to u/g within Cluster Manager.

Sorry if i've missed it but I've had to wade through more than I
needed to.
0
mark7219 (5666)

Accessing documents in public folders slow after move
I originally had a single server Exchange 2000 orgnization and decided to upgrade to Exchange 2003 by adding a an Exchange 2003 server and performing the steps in kb art. 822931, "How to Remove the First Exchange 2003 Server Computer from the Site". I have not uninstalled Exchange from the original server yet, but it is turned off for a few days to see if any problems arise without it. The problem i observe is this: When opening documents that have been published in PF`s Outlook appears to hang, a 20k word document may take up to two minutes to load. Plenty bandwith avail...

Icalendar format in exchange 2003
In our company we have 2 mailservers, a Exchange 2003 and a lotus domino R5.(the are setup in coexistance) When people who are on exchange send a outlook meeting request to a person on the notes server (all users are using outlook as client, no notes client!) the buttons accept, decline, reject don't appear in the meeting request. I know that normally exchange 2003 converts automaticly meeting requests send to the internet to icalendar format. But It seems that the exchange server forwards the meeting request to Notes without converting to Icalendar format. When I manualy select...

Migration from Groupwise 5.5 to Exchange 2003
Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction for tips and tricks on doing this migration. Thanks Marc http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/interop/GroupWise.asp Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server www.workthin.com Please try the follwin links below. If 2003 information is scarce I would look at what it says for 2000 version of Exchange. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/interop/GroupWise.asp http://www.ftponline.com/wss/2003_06/magazine/departments/productroundup/ "Marc jacobs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2e...

Outlook 2003 displays messages as read but unopened?
We have an Exchange server running on Server 2003 and what happens for one of the workers is that she has messages marked as read (not in bold writing) but the icon next to the message (the open or closed envelope) is closed (meaning it hasn't been opened). She was upgraded to a new PC recently but whilst she was on her old PC, someone was setting up her new PC logged on as her domain account at the same time. I believe she said that they sometimes come in as if they've just been receievd but are sometimes over 3 months old. Has anyone seen this before? We also have a mail archiving p...

Can I run Office XP and Office 2003 on the same machine?
I need to test the viability of upgrading our workstations from Office XP (2002) to Office 2003. It would be great if I could run both on the same machine and test the interoperability of documents and spreadsheets created by each version. My reseller tells me this is not possible, however. I'm not sure if I should believe him. I've been able to get my machine to do other tricks he has said were impossible. So I thought I'd ask you folks. Basically I'm asking if I can install and run both programs on one PC, running Windows XP Pro. Or will Office 2003 de-install or overw...

Unable to move email from Inbox to Archive Folder
I get the message "Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted or access was denied" when I try to move emails from Inbox to an archive folder. I am using Outlook 2000 Corporate Any assistance to get over this issue is appreciated. Regards, Agnel How big is the archive file and how many items are in the folder you're trying to move the item to? (You might also want to answer those questions about your main .PST file and the Inbox folder...) -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be...

80070005 error using Message Tracking Centre Exchange 2003
Hi, I notice 2 other posts with the same issue, yet no solution has been provided as of yet. On exchange 2003 running on SBS standard edition 2003, when trying to run a query in the message tracking, the following messagebox appears: Access is Denied Facility: ID no. 80070005 Win32 Exchange System Manager Access is Denied This is a new error, previous to last 2 weeks the message tracking has been working fine. No changes have been made to the system. Any help much appreciated, Regards, Will ...

Excel 2000: Can I display more than one curve in a single chart
Hi All, Can I display more than one curve (i.e., more than a single set of data points) in a single chart? I am using Excel 2000. tia Avraham Makeler. Sure. Select more than 2 columns when you create the chart. Alternately select the chart and follow the prompts at Chart|Add Data Jerry Avraham Makeler wrote: > Hi All, > > Can I display more than one curve (i.e., more than a single set of data > points) in a single chart? > > I am using Excel 2000. > > tia > > Avraham Makeler. ...

Moving the Exchange data and log files.
I got the paper that tells how to move the Exchange data and log files. The directory I created is D:\Exchsrvr\MDBdata. The paper says to set up a number of permissions for System, Administration and other users. However, no mention is made of the Everyone user. I decided to remove that user, but the security wizard complained that I would break inheritance rules for that folder and all progeny. So, I decided to just set Deny on all the capabilities. The security wizard than said that no user could access the folder as the Everyone deny is applied first, so I backed out of...

Outlook 2003 on NT4
Hi, will Outlook 2003 (Client) install on NT 4 Workstation. If so what Service Pack do I need Thanks Adrian No. Office/Outlook 2003 will require Windows 2000 (SP3) or newer. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Adrian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052301c3ce81$42b13a80$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, will Outlook 2003 (Client) install on NT 4 > Workstation. If so what Service Pack do I need > Thanks > Adrian Thanks for the reply ......... Adrian >-----Orig...

Filter rules not visible for Address Lists on Exchange 2003 ESM
Under Exchange System Manager, when I display the properties of the default address lists including the default global address list , the filter rules properties are not visible. In other words, if I select the properties of the 'Default Global Address List' , on the General tab, I should see the LDAP filter rules under the Description field. Instead there is nothing. I also have the same problem with the RUS properties. There are no attribute parameters. Additionally, when I try to create a new address list, I get (Invalid argument, ID no 80070057). All of the current address l...

Event 9660 continues after aborted mailbox move
After aborting a mailbox move between an Exchange 2003 server and an Exchange 2000 server, I am now getting a constant stream of Event 9660 "failed to log on because their mailbox is in the process of being moved." and event 1022 "Logon Failure on database" with error code - 2147221231. Any idea how to tell Exchange and/or AD that this mailbox isn't currently being moved? ...

Outlook 2003 with Word 2007
I have Word 2007 and Outlook 2003. Is there any way to use Word 2007 as the editor for Outlook 2003? -- James J. Pirretti <james@nospam.com> wrote: > I have Word 2007 and Outlook 2003. Is there any way to use Word 2007 > as the editor for Outlook 2003? No. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] I am trying the Office 2007, but using Outlook 2003 and still have all my Office 2003 components installed such as Word 2003. How do I tell Outlook 2003 NOT to try and use Word 2007? I get an error message saying wrong version of Word for editing emails? "Brian Tillman" wro...

No Updates on Capital One
Has anyone else been unable to update Capital One and Providian credit cards? If so, what did you to start updating again? My stopped updating 14 days ago. TIA Cindy Conover Cindy Conover wrote: > Has anyone else been unable to update Capital One and Providian credit > cards? If so, what did you to start updating again? My stopped updating 14 > days ago. > > TIA > > Cindy Conover Cindy, I've been updating and confirming my Capital One credit card with Money for a couple of years now. Problem is (as far as you're concerned) I do it manually eve...

MS Project 2003 Clarity Integration
I have been using MS project 2003 with Clarity integration for a couple of years now and would like to know if there are any other users out there or groups specific to this integration. I have a good number of issues and the support from both companies (CA and Microsoft) is terrible! Hi Al, Nice to see you here. I think you'll get the best results if you post your actual questions/issues versus just asking if there are people out here who use both products. When you post, please be specific about the problem including what release of Project (and service pack you are...

news button in outlook 2003
Hi, I lost my news button in outlook 2003. It is no longer listed in the "add and remove buttons" command sections of the GO categorie. I used it before but I have no idea why its failing now. on Windows 2003 control panel select outlook exprerss as the default news reader. Fixed >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I lost my news button in outlook 2003. It is no longer >listed in the "add and remove buttons" command sections >of the GO categorie. > >I used it before but I have no idea why its failing now. >. > To get the News co...

Move data from one colum to another
I have over 900 contacts which includes contact data containing two columns of data, first name and last name, and wish to do the following: move the last name to the first name column with a space between the first and last name and then rename the column to be named contact. Suggestions? Thanks very much Lewis Shanks Lewis Assume first name in Column A and last name in Column B In C2(assumes A1 and B1 are titles) enter =A2 & " " & B2 Double-click on the fill handle at bottom right corner of C2 to replicate down column C. When happy with results, copy Column C ...

What does Filter applied mean ? 1514 items
Hi, I turned off our computer Fri morning the 4th, went out of town and returned Monday, all e-mails prior to Friday are missing, but I noticed bottom left "Filter Applied 1514 items. Did I accidentally hit a wrong key? how do I retrieve the old e-mails? Bill Check your view. It should be set to view Messages. Click on View > Current View. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "billndebb" wrote: > Hi, I turned off our computer Fri morning the 4th, went out of town and > returned Monday...

Procedure trigger registration failed after applying SP1
We applied Service Pack 1 to our test environment (Great Plains 9) today. Since the install, we receive the following message when the application is launched : "Procedure trigger registration failed" What caused the problem and how do we fix it? Julie I would say that one of your third party dexterity modules has a trigger registered against a procedure that has changed between versions. To identify the product, make a backup of your Dynamics.set and then remove one product at a time until the error stops. The last product removed is the culprit. Then contact the devel...

Deleted email reappears Outlook 2003
Even if I empty the deleted items folder. Say I receive 27 items and delete them and then empty the deleted items folder. At the next Send/Receive they all come back as new...sometimes multiple copies of each email. Are you using POP3? Do you have it set to leave items on the server? <nospam@meatonconsulting.com> wrote in message news:1130882936.178572.252550@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Even if I empty the deleted items folder. Say I receive > 27 items and delete them and then empty the deleted items > folder. At the next Send/Receive they all come back as > n...

Data Access Pages
We've a Data access page application, where the Excel Spread sheet control is embedded in HTML. The application was developed through Front page and it uses Office web components 9.0.The application runs in IIS server. We're able to access the applicationfrom a client machine which has windows XP os and office 2000 installed. But the application doesn't displays the office web components when the client has windows xp and office 2003 installed. We use IE 6.0 version to access the application. Any help on this is highly appreciated. ...

OL 2003: tools for managing a large number of email rules
I have over 40 email rules to process incoming messages and sort them into diffrent folders. Mostly these are messages for different listservs. Some are from my bank, from eBay or Travelocity, etc., Some are from specific people like my wife or kids. Problem is, how do I manage all this? Is there any way to print out the list of rules or the rules themselves? Is there any way to edit them with a third-party tool outside of Outlook? I've looked at slipstick, I've googled, etc, and I can't find anything that meets this need. I would even be willing to do a bit of VBA, if someo...

How do I get column headings printed on every page but one?
I am printing a report that has footnotes on it. I do want my column headings to appear on every page but not to appear on the last page with the footnotes because there really aren't any columns on hte last page that apply to the column headers hi, if you have header, they will appear on every sheet in your print area. i might suggest that you not include your footnotes in reports print area. move the footnotes to a different sheet and print seperately. >-----Original Message----- >I am printing a report that has footnotes on it. I do want my column >headings to appea...

Outlook 2003 Personla Folder
Hi, I just upgraded from office XP to Office 2003 and i was wondering if the personal folder (.pst) of my outlook will not be limited to 2 gigabytes since i'm running on outlook 2003 now. Thanks for any help or advice. Regards, Yuki You'll need to create a new unicode-format PST file and move/copy your items from the older file. Upgrading OL doesn't upgrade the PST file to the new format. yuki wrote: > Hi, > > I just upgraded from office XP to Office 2003 and i was > wondering if the personal folder (.pst) of my outlook > will not be limited to 2 gigabytes si...

URL links in Outlook 2003 #2
I have a PC with two users setup. WinXP Home SP2, Outlook 2003, IE6 and Firefox 1.5.0.7. When clicking on an embedded email link in Outlook User A works fine and opens the proper web page. When User B does the same thing this error message pops up: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." Makes no difference if IE6 or Firefox is set to the default browser. I've tried the suggestions in MSKB Q310049 with no success. I know of several other machines with the same software and no problems. ...