Exch 2003: Alternate Server recovery question

Sorry my last post was really long.

What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when is
it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a separate
AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)?

I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5.

if you want to see what i mean click
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx
and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link.

thank you
TM Ayala
0
TMAyala (2)

Well, Recovery Storage Groups don't work for every situation.  For example,
if the original Exchange server has been removed from the Org, and you need
to recover a mailbox from that server, you cannot use the Recovery Storage
Group.  Likewise, if a user's mailbox has been deleted, and then
subsequently re-created, I do not believe you can use the RSG.

Alternate Recovery Forests still have their purpose, IMO, you just don't
have to use them near as often now...

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"TM Ayala" <TMAyala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry my last post was really long.
>
> What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when is
> it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a
> separate
> AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)?
>
> I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5.
>
> if you want to see what i mean click
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx
> and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link.
>
> thank you
> TM Ayala

0
Ben
8/4/2006 8:19:09 PM
Ah.
So, if i lost my server to some disaster but I have all my backups (system
state, db, logs) and all my ducks in a row (identical hardware, MS Disaster
REcovery Op guide) and I haven't deleted anything from AD or any mailboxes, I
can restore my exchange server w/o using the alternate forest
environment--did i understand correctly? there are uses for the alternate
forest but a "typical" server restore doesn't (such as failed hw) require
this...yes?

also, is it possible to remove that really long post (i said nothing in a
lot of words)?
"Subject: Exchange 2003 DR: parallel universe really necessary for full sys
recovery"

thanks ben for helping me with this--it's a ton of reading!
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Well, Recovery Storage Groups don't work for every situation.  For example,
> if the original Exchange server has been removed from the Org, and you need
> to recover a mailbox from that server, you cannot use the Recovery Storage
> Group.  Likewise, if a user's mailbox has been deleted, and then
> subsequently re-created, I do not believe you can use the RSG.
>
> Alternate Recovery Forests still have their purpose, IMO, you just don't
> have to use them near as often now...
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "TM Ayala" <TMAyala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry my last post was really long.
> >
> > What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when is
> > it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a
> > separate
> > AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)?
> >
> > I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5.
> >
> > if you want to see what i mean click
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx
> > and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link.
> >
> > thank you
> > TM Ayala

0
TMAyala (2)
8/4/2006 8:40:02 PM
I don't think that's a Recovery Storage Group scenario.  Restoring an entire
server that you've just rebuilt doesn't require an alternate forest OR a
Recovery Storage Group...
Have a look at
and then see what questions you have about RSG's.

--

> Ah.
> So, if i lost my server to some disaster but I have all my backups (system
> state, db, logs) and all my ducks in a row (identical hardware, MS
> Disaster
> REcovery Op guide) and I haven't deleted anything from AD or any
> mailboxes, I
> can restore my exchange server w/o using the alternate forest
> environment--did i understand correctly? there are uses for the alternate
> forest but a "typical" server restore doesn't (such as failed hw) require
> this...yes?
>
> also, is it possible to remove that really long post (i said nothing in a
> lot of words)?
> "Subject: Exchange 2003 DR: parallel universe really necessary for full
> sys
> recovery"
>
> thanks ben for helping me with this--it's a ton of reading!
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Well, Recovery Storage Groups don't work for every situation.  For
>> example,
>> if the original Exchange server has been removed from the Org, and you
>> need
>> to recover a mailbox from that server, you cannot use the Recovery
>> Storage
>> Group.  Likewise, if a user's mailbox has been deleted, and then
>> subsequently re-created, I do not believe you can use the RSG.
>>
>> Alternate Recovery Forests still have their purpose, IMO, you just don't
>> have to use them near as often now...
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "TM Ayala" <TMAyala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry my last post was really long.
>> >
>> > What is the alternate server recovery scenario useful for (that is when
>> > is
>> > it necessary to recover exchange to an alternate server that is on a
>> > separate
>> > AD forest, with a separate DC and DNS server)?
>> >
>> > I thought that was a thing of the past...exch 5.5.
>> >
>> > if you want to see what i mean click
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx
>> > and click the "Alternate Server Recovery" link.
>> >
>> > thank you
>> > TM Ayala

0
Ben

asap utilities question
I have Msft. Excel Vsn 2002 and latest vsn. of ASAP Utilities. I used ASAP Utilities to merge single rows of data together so that more than one row will fit on a single line of text. My question now, is, is it possible using ASAP Utilities to separate the data that has been merged back into single rows of data? All information welcomed! Aaron ...

Outlook 2003 News

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Canadian Mergers 2003

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Filters in Excel 2003

Dotfuscator question
Hello Everybody !!! When i create programm using C# i must understand that my programm from exe - module can be converted to the source file by Reflector. In Order do not allow do this i must use dotfuscator, but i did not find any free normal dotfuscator. May be someone tell me what can i do cause now as think we have interesting paradox. We 've got free technology but if we want to protect our products we must buy expensive commercial dotfuscators. Alex Dmitriev You should post this message in a newsgroup which discusses managed code. This newsgroup does not have much managed traff...

question on the rules wizard
When clikcing on the Rules Wizard, Outlook locks up - consistently. Has anyone got a remedy for this? Thank you, rich rpage@concerto.com ...

Relay Servers?

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

PDA-Outlook 2003

OE questions
Ok, I have two questions: 1. With Thunderbird I can use this with a hotkey manager to compose a new message with Tbird "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird \thunderbird.exe -compose" -- how can I do the same for Outlook Express and Outlook 2003? 2. When I go to load Outlook Express I get this error message, followed by the error message below it: http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x296/gwar_1/Untitled-3.png how can I fix this and use Outlook Express? Thanks! posted to the outlookexpress newsgroup via crosspost --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Re...

question about Time

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003