Ex5.5 to E2003 intra org migration ...help

Hi..
Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the following
question..>>
There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5 and
how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses Active
Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange 5.5 uses
Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This means to
apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have the
equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal security
groups
..As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode domain,
if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this correct??

Now on to my issue......
I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to begin
moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free busy is in
sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what tool or
method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration, granted I
don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or can I use
ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to the new
exchange sever??

Thanks
Darren

0
Darren8878 (11)

All you need to do is create a replica of your PF to your new exchange
2003 server. The permission will be replicated as well. You can also
use pfdavadmin use use system manager.

James Chong (MVP)

On Mar 12, 8:45 pm, <Dar...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi..
> Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the following
> question..>>
> There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5 and
> how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses Active
> Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange 5.5 uses
> Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This means to
> apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have the
> equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal security
> groups
> .As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
> migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode domain,
> if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this correct??
>
> Now on to my issue......
> I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to begin
> moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free busy is in
> sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what tool or
> method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration, granted I
> don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or can I use
> ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to the new
> exchange sever??
>
> Thanks
> Darren

0
jamestechman (1266)
3/13/2007 2:05:29 AM
All you need to do is create a replica of your PF to your new exchange
2003 server. The permission will be replicated as well. You can also
use pfdavadmin use use system manager.

James Chong (MVP)

On Mar 12, 8:45 pm, <Dar...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi..
> Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the following
> question..>>
> There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5 and
> how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses Active
> Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange 5.5 uses
> Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This means to
> apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have the
> equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal security
> groups
> .As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
> migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode domain,
> if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this correct??
>
> Now on to my issue......
> I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to begin
> moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free busy is in
> sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what tool or
> method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration, granted I
> don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or can I use
> ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to the new
> exchange sever??
>
> Thanks
> Darren

0
jamestechman (1266)
3/13/2007 4:54:54 AM
Hi,

You are correct. The target windows domain must be in native mode for the
system to create USG's and add these as public folder security groups.

You can use either pfmigrate or exchange system manager to create replicas
of the public folders on the new system.

Leif

<Darren@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi..
> Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the following
> question..>>
> There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5
> and how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses
> Active Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange
> 5.5 uses Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This
> means to apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have
> the equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal
> security groups
> .As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
> migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode
> domain, if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this
> correct??
>
> Now on to my issue......
> I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to
> begin moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free busy
> is in sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what tool
> or method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration, granted I
> don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or can I use
> ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to the new
> exchange sever??
>
> Thanks
> Darren

Thank you everyone..
"Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <Leif.pedersennospam@get2net.dk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You are correct. The target windows domain must be in native mode for the
> system to create USG's and add these as public folder security groups.
>
> You can use either pfmigrate or exchange system manager to create replicas
> of the public folders on the new system.
>
> Leif
>
> <Darren@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi..
>> Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the
>> following question..>>
>> There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5
>> and how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses
>> Active Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange
>> 5.5 uses Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This
>> means to apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have
>> the equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal
>> security groups
>> .As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
>> migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode
>> domain, if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this
>> correct??
>>
>> Now on to my issue......
>> I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to
>> begin moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free
>> busy is in sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what
>> tool or method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration,
>> granted I don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or
>> can I use ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to
>> the new exchange sever??
>>
>> Thanks
>> Darren

0