Ex5.5 to E2003 intra org migration ...help

Hi..
Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the following
question..>>
There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5 and
how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses Active
Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange 5.5 uses
Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This means to
apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have the
equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal security
groups
..As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode domain,
if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this correct??

Now on to my issue......
I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to begin
moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free busy is in
sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what tool or
method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration, granted I
don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or can I use
ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to the new
exchange sever??

Thanks
Darren

0
Darren8878 (11)

All you need to do is create a replica of your PF to your new exchange
2003 server. The permission will be replicated as well. You can also
use pfdavadmin use use system manager.

James Chong (MVP)

On Mar 12, 8:45 pm, <Dar...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi..
> Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the following
> question..>>
> There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5 and
> how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses Active
> Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange 5.5 uses
> Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This means to
> apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have the
> equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal security
> groups
> .As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
> migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode domain,
> if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this correct??
>
> Now on to my issue......
> I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to begin
> moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free busy is in
> sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what tool or
> method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration, granted I
> don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or can I use
> ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to the new
> exchange sever??
>
> Thanks
> Darren

0
jamestechman (1266)
3/13/2007 2:05:29 AM
All you need to do is create a replica of your PF to your new exchange
2003 server. The permission will be replicated as well. You can also
use pfdavadmin use use system manager.

James Chong (MVP)

On Mar 12, 8:45 pm, <Dar...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi..
> Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the following
> question..>>
> There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5 and
> how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses Active
> Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange 5.5 uses
> Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This means to
> apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have the
> equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal security
> groups
> .As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
> migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode domain,
> if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this correct??
>
> Now on to my issue......
> I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to begin
> moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free busy is in
> sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what tool or
> method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration, granted I
> don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or can I use
> ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to the new
> exchange sever??
>
> Thanks
> Darren

0
jamestechman (1266)
3/13/2007 4:54:54 AM
Hi,

You are correct. The target windows domain must be in native mode for the
system to create USG's and add these as public folder security groups.

You can use either pfmigrate or exchange system manager to create replicas
of the public folders on the new system.

Leif

<Darren@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi..
> Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the following
> question..>>
> There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5
> and how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses
> Active Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange
> 5.5 uses Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This
> means to apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have
> the equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal
> security groups
> .As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
> migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode
> domain, if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this
> correct??
>
> Now on to my issue......
> I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to
> begin moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free busy
> is in sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what tool
> or method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration, granted I
> don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or can I use
> ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to the new
> exchange sever??
>
> Thanks
> Darren

Thank you everyone..
"Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <Leif.pedersennospam@get2net.dk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You are correct. The target windows domain must be in native mode for the
> system to create USG's and add these as public folder security groups.
>
> You can use either pfmigrate or exchange system manager to create replicas
> of the public folders on the new system.
>
> Leif
>
> <Darren@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi..
>> Berfore I get to issue I would first like to begin by asking the
>> following question..>>
>> There seems to be some difference between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 5.5
>> and how permissions are applied to public folders. Exchange 2003 uses
>> Active Directory objects, such as users and security groups; and Exchange
>> 5.5 uses Exchange objects, such as mailboxes and distribution lists. This
>> means to apply permissions to public folders, Active Directory must have
>> the equivalent to an Exchange distribution list which is Universal
>> security groups
>> .As a result to keep the permmisions on Exchange 5.5 public folders when
>> migrating to Exchange 2003  the target domain, MUST be a native mode
>> domain, if NOT, I will loose my public folder permissions, is this
>> correct??
>>
>> Now on to my issue......
>> I have added a new e2003 to my exisiting Ex5.5 org and I would like to
>> begin moving the system folders (assuming this is needed so that Free
>> busy is in sync) and the public folders. But, I am a bit confused on what
>> tool or method I would need to use  to have a successfully migration,
>> granted I don't want to lose any permissions. Shuold I use PFmigrate or
>> can I use ex5.5 admin program to rehome the System  and Public folders to
>> the new exchange sever??
>>
>> Thanks
>> Darren

0
Darren8878 (11)

Need Help #2
I have recently fallin' on hard economic times, I would really like you all to send me donations so I may purchase the new Office 2003 Professional Suite next month. Please send funds to Excel Guru P.O. Box 321 Grosse Pointe, MI Thank you. What's the zip code there? >-----Original Message----- >I have recently fallin' on hard economic times, I would >really like you all to send me donations so I may >purchase the new Office 2003 Professional Suite next >month. Please send funds to > Excel Guru > ...

Help with Compile Error in Excel Office 2003
I am not an expert user but I have just upgraded to Office 2003 and a spreadsheet that I have used for some time is giving me the following error:- Compile error in hidden module: DistMon It allows me to carry on and the spreadsheet still seems to work but it is obviously a nuisance. Can anyone help me out here? -- ..... Julian Cann Brisbane Australia Julian, This involves Acrobat, see... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307410 Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Julian Cann" <julianREMOVETHIScann@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1cba...

CDialog #5
Hi, I have a method calling to my dialog. I'm calling to this method to show mt dialog is in the start ( InitInstance()) and in the OnCheckNow() option from the menu. I want to display only one performance of this dialog. I set CListViewDlg dlg as global var, then in the method that create my dialog: dlg.DestroyWindow();//????? int nResponse = dlg.DoModal(); It's correct to DestroyWindow anyway?? it's working to me..but is it a correct way to do this? Thanking you in anticipation!!! "Yael" <Yael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBC2018F-1C48...

Getting Mailbox Sizes in 5.5
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C66CFC.93298CD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Working on an Exchange 5.5 to 2K3 migration. Is there any easy way to = get a list of mailboxes with their sizes from the Exchange 5.5 = directory? I know I can use System Admin to see each server and then = export the list, but is there a way to this, maybe with a script so I = don't have to export the list from each server separately? Thanks. Jerry ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C66CFC.93298CD0 Co...

Help #5
Below is what I have on a spreadsheet. I need sum up the P&L values for each period (month) by counterparty. If the sum is positive it is an AR, If negative an AP. Anyone know a quick way to do this? Period Counterpart P/L AR AP Jul-05 Coke 5000 Jul-05 Coke 10000 In D2 =IF(C2>0,"AR",) In E2 =IF(C2>0,"AP",) Then highlight D2 to E3 and hit control d "Tim T via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > > Below is what I have on a spreadsheet. I need sum up the P&L values for each > period (month) by count...

HELP ME RESTORE OUTLOOK
I accidentally removed my Outlook e-mail program with the add/remove wizard. I know it's still on the computer, but just HOW do I get it back? HELP ME RESTORE OUTLOOK wrote: || I accidentally removed my Outlook e-mail program with the add/remove || wizard. I know it's still on the computer, but just HOW do I get it || back? If you used Add/remove then it's NOT on the computer. You need to re-install it from your Office CD -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk HELP ME RESTORE OUTLOOK wrote: > I accidentally r...

1018 error while taking bkp in exchange 5.5
We have transfered all the mails to local pst file. I don't have onlne backup to restore to eliminate 1018 error.Offline bakup what I have is one month old, will it resolve the problem if I restore that. I have only option to run eseutil /p (hard repair) on database. what will be the implication on site. Kidly suggest. >-----Original Message----- >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;812531 >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;314917 >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;151789 >Basically you have to restor...

Help Creating A Formula #2
I need to make a formula for alook up. The first spreadsheet i inventory, the second one is pg 103 strapping. I want to enter the fee and inches for pg 103 on the inventory and have it look up the feet an inches on strapping chart and enter the appropriate gallons in column Attachment filename: p & g 101 strapping.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=50210 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Excel formula help #4
Hello! Can somone help me with this formula 2004:21-0-1-1-11 in this cell i wan't to get out "21" 2005:2-0-0-0-1 in this cell i wan't to get out "2" My result from the formula is "-21" and ":2-" is there a formula that i can use on both and get the result "21" and "2"? I want to add the together at the end and get the result "23" but with : and - i only get error. -- johhny ------------------------------------------------------------------------ johhny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?act...

Help creating a script in SQL or Calculated field in Crystal
How do I take this script and manipulate it to give me one long string with static text as well as SQL data in specific positions within the string. Example result: Positions / Data: 1-3 / 173 (Static text) 4-6 / spaces 7-10 / "X_UPR30300"."YEAR1", (has to show up as 2007. Showing up as 2,007) 11 / 4 (Static text) 12-22 / "UPR00100"."SOCSCNUM" 23-57 / "UPR00100"."LASTNAME" 58-92 / "UPR00100"."FRSTNAME" 93 / "UPR00100"."MIDLNAME" 94-120 / "UPR00102"."ADDRESS1" 121-148 / &q...

HELP!!! My X/Z/ZZ Reports Show $0.00
Just started usinf RMS and find that even though sales are journaling fine and daily sales reports accurately show totals, whenever I run an X/Z/ZZ report, the Tender Type is cash an the amount is $0. Is there something that needs to be set to enable these reports? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_012D_01C924B0.29D15B00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Comickaze, Sounds like you have other open batches. Every time you lose connection = with the server and you have Terminal Offline enabled, ...

Linking text within Excel-- help!
I have a mailing list that I will be importing into Excel, and am trying to link the names on the list to invoices for those people on the list. Can I do this in Excel by using links? The Excel help feature only seems to describe links with figures (numbers), not text. e.g. Mr. Bill Jones, 123 Main Street, Middletown, OK 40404 (each word in its own cell in the mailing list worksheet) ....would link to a worksheet that had Bill Jones' name and address but also indicted that he purchased a $100 product on June 15 and his bill has been paid in full. My questions: 1. Each of the 300 or...

Manual Sales Methodology -- Need Help
Hi, Here is my situation. We are trying to implement a manual sales methodology. Basically I have a dropdown list called "Sales Stage" with values entitles "Stage 1", "Stage 2" and "Stage 3". I need the values here to effect the sales pipeline and the sales pipeline report. The other issue is that a lead can advance or retreat in the sales cycle. Meaning it could go from Stage 1 to Stage 2 and then back to Stage 1 or could go Stage 1 to Stage 3 and then to Stage 2. I know I need a workflow setup (as just effecting the "stepname&quo...

Help Office Rules don't work consistantly
Why is it some rules just won't work in automatic mode? I have a rule set up in my Outlook (2002) to check mail when it comes in and if the email sources matches a contact in the outlook contacts folder, it should move the message to a outlook folder. The rule doesn't work on it's own, but if I run it manually, it works flawlessly. I have several other rules defined and they all work just fine. There are no stops or anything else in other rules that would prevent the rule from running. I don't get it! Outlook is running under XP and connected to and Exchange server a...

Upgrade Win2K DCs before upgrade/migrate to E2K3 ?
We have a Win2K-only domain with 2 DCs, 1 Ex2K server and 1 subnet. About 200 users. We're thinking of upgrading to Win2K3/E2K3, but we're not sure whether to upgrade the domain controllers first or last, with respect to the Exchange Server. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. Hi jdee, You should upgrade your DCs to Windows 2003 first, just make sure your Exchange Server/s are running at least Exchange 2000 SP3. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "jdee" <jdee@trunk.net> wrote in message new...

scripting adding obj-users and mdb-use-defaults to exchange 5.5 users
I have successfully created a script for creating exchange 5.5 users. I can't however, figure out how to add the assoc-nt-account to the obj-users [pseudo attribute] or set MDB-Use-Defaults to True :-( Can anyone offer advice on how to do this [other than generate a CSV file and use the exchange admin tool to import it]? Thanks Wayne ...

need formula help
I'm trying to have a formula do 3 scenerios in one cell and have a partial formula working: IF(AND(G39>30, G39<=7),3000) which equates to if cell G39 is greater than 0 and less than or equal to 7 use 3000. I would like to continue the formula that if G39 is greater than 7 and less than 14 use 5000 and if G39 is greater than 14 use 7500. How can I do this? Hi, =IF(AND(G39>0, G39<=7),3000,IF(AND(G39>7, G39<=14),5000,if(G39>14,7500))) "tom" wrote: > I'm trying to have a formula do 3 scenerios in one cell and have a partial > form...

Migrating E5.5 Mailboxes with ADC created disabled accounts to to E2K3
I am getting to the end of my migration but still have all the resource mailboxes with ADC generated diabled accounts in AD to migrate. I'm not sure how to proceed with this. Can I just enable the accounts in AD migrate the mailbox and disable it again or do I have to create a whole new account in AD delete the ADC generated account and re-attached the new account to the mailbox in E5.5 then migrate it to E2K3? You can use the accounts it created. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "JoeAHM" <joseph.gonzalez@a...

Formula Help #66
I need help with a formula. I can't figure out how to calculate for missing number. '05 we sold x units, I know we had a X% increase over '04 so what wa the '04 sales? Column A = '05 Columb B = '04 Column C = % increas -- bab ----------------------------------------------------------------------- babz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2781 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49307 '04 sales = '05 sales / 1.X% increase Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "babz" wrote: >...

Header file help
Sir, I am presently doing an application work in VC++.I am doing the coding for "Virtual CD ROM Drive".In this I am not getting one headerfile i.e "#include<ntddcdrm.h>".In msdn you mentioned the path windows nt DDk which I am not having.I am kindly requesting you to provide this header file through mail. thanking you your faithfully Kiran. Hello, You downloads ntddcdrm.h from the following link, http://cvs.winehq.com/cvsweb/~checkout~/wine/include/ntddc drm.h?rev=1.3&content-type=text/plain Regards, R.Selvam >-----Original Message----- >Sir,...

Need help, pls, with contacts...
As I enter names in Outlook 2000, I would like their title to appear before their name in both the contact listing AND when I send an email.. example... Dr. Joe Smith... instead of just Joe Smith.. And having to click 'Full Name' to reveal the title of Dr. Also, is their a way to add additional titles to the dropdown list? I also deal with religious that use Sr. (Sister) and Fr. (Father), as well as Deacon... Thank You! -- B'Regards, Vinnie ...

Strange "button"
I got an .xls from someone and had to populate some cells with data extracted from the application database, which I did OK. My problem is the fact that the .xls came with something like a button (not created by me) that I want to delete, but simply can't. I can't select it, like I can do with the forms controls I'm used to work with, although it appears to be a normal command-button. What could that object be? And how could I simply get rid of that? Ok, I finally found the answer. "BEDE" wrote: > I got an .xls from someone and had to populate some cells with d...

HELP! GP9.0 SP2 to GP 9.0 SP4 Upgrade Failure!
I have run service pack 4 on the GP server, rebooted the server as instructed. After I run GP Utilities, it tries to update the GP databases (a few of them). The check list runs and errors out on the 'Load Sample Business Alerts' and doesn't complete the update. I did not do this installation or updates, this is the first time using this machine. There are two error screens, the SQL statement, then an ODBC error. One of the issues I see below is that the ODBC error, it is pointing to the wrong server name. MCCSRV3, it should be MCCSRV4. Here is the error I am getting. The...

border help
When I go to print my page with my border on it, it prints the top and sides but not the bottom, anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I have tried to change the margins as well but I get the same thing. On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:25:01 -0800, michelle <michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I go to print my page with my border on it, it prints the top and sides >but not the bottom, anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I have tried to change >the margins as well but I get the same thing. See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/BottomsDontPrint.htm ...

Will pay for need help and occasional advise on using excel ....
"sorry if this is off post ...will be my last" Thx in advance for your help and interest. i am an independant oil and gas consultant and have a fair amount of computer experience but, am absolutely lost when it comes to data bases .... i found a database online (in .php format) that contains names, addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses of companies and people within the oil and gas industry ... i want to be able to utilize this db in excel so i can sort certain companies or people and use excels "mail merge" system to send them emails. ...