Ex2k3 Public Folder Redundancy

Hi,

I have a new Exchange 2k3 server that we've added to our environment.  I'd
like to create a new public folder store and replicate all the data from my
first server to the second for redundancy.  I would prefer to not have to go
through each public folder and create a new replica.  What's the best way to
do this?

Thanks!
0
BJ (832)

Hi,

To do this you would have to set up replicas, but its not that hard.  You can set up the replica at the top level then you propogate the
settings. Right click on the top level folder and point to all tasks, click Propogate settings and click to enable "Replicas".
This will set up the replicas to all of those sub folders.

OK so here is the caveat. Let's say we have two servers, Server A and Server B. Server A hosts all the pubic folders. Server B
mailbox stores all point to the Server A public folder. OK all is well and good. The problem comes when a user on Server B posts or
emails an item to the public folder. After it has been posted users on server A and Server B will not see the item for a while. Why is
that? It's because as long as there is a mounted public store on Server B all users on Server B will post and email to that public
folder. After replication has occured everyone will be able to see it. The only work around I've found is to either forget about the
redundancy thing and just use one public folder, or set the replication urgency for specific folders. This will not eliminate the
replication latency but it will minimize it.

I hope that helps,
--------------------

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note:  For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they originated.

0
roberba (123)

Documents & Settings vs. Users folders
OS: Vista Business; upgraded from Win XP Pro SP3. Joined to a WinSer 2003 domain. I just noticed that I have (near) identical files and folders in my C:\Documents and Settings folder and the C:\Users folder. Is this because it was an upgrade? Is there a way to eliminate one of them to free up some HD space? -- Mike Webb Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc. a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization Wood River, NE In article <8B0B66B9-1E62-479D-BC74-BF79A50895E6@microsoft.com>, Mike_in_Nebraska@newsgroup.nospam says... > > OS: ...

How to get the applications folder path
what is the VBA command to get the application folder path in mac office 2004? Can't be done in VBA: look in the AppleScript dictionary. On 4/12/09 1:09 AM, in article A72637CD-D311-45BE-AA70-7B5AE24CADC5@microsoft.com, "Mac Office Developer" <MacOfficeDeveloper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > what is the VBA command to get the application folder path in mac office 2004? -- The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Wo...

404 Error in OWA when accessing calendar items in public folders
We are running Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 Server SP1. We have a front-end/back-end configuration. OWA works well except when attempting to access calendar items in public folders. In personal folders, this is not a problem. The public folder calendar appears correctly; however, opening a particular calendar item results in a 404 error about 2/3 of the time. Sometimes it opens properly. Refreshing the item window repeatedly will eventually bring up the item. This problem is not restricted to a particular user, browser or public folder. Even with full owner permissions on t...

deleted folders
My dad had deleted a main identity folder and then erased then deleted box. Is there any way to recover the deleted folder ...

Can't create offline folder
I have an ost file stored on my local drive, but I would like to store it on a network drive so I can see it at home. However, I can't even get it to browse to create an ost folder on the desired drive. What is happening. First of all, you would not be able to access the .ost file from home as it is specific to the SID created for your work profile. So, moving it is moot since you can't access it from any other machine's Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus,...

mail enabling public folders
I would like to mail enable a public folder, It is my understanding that this is normally done through ESM : ...First Storage Group | Public folder store|Public Folders Right-click the folder and select tasks, the mail enable. Here's problem: when I right click, I just get 'help' and 'properties'. Do I need to turn something on to enable the 'tasks' option? BTW, I'm running Exchange 2003 Std in native mode. Thanks, Steve Hello, Yes, this can be done in ESM but in another location... Under the Administrative Group --> Folders --> Publi...

two personal file folders on OL2003 ?
I migrated from my desktop (OL2000) to a new laptop (OL2003) and have a problem. In 2003 I have two personal file folders...it appears one is for 97-2002 OL version and the other for 2003 ? I have only one pst file on the laptop. Also...both folders seem to be identical ? However...the little icon is different Where did the 2003 folder setup come from...and can I delete one or the other. When I have tried...it says you cannot delete the main mail folder ? Thanks, Tim TimR, you wrote on Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:45:10 -0700: > I migrated from my desktop (OL2000) to a new laptop (OL2003)...

Multiple archive folder
I find in my folder list more instances of "Archive folder". Trying to remove with "Close Active Folders" command i get the following error "The operation failed. An object could not be found" Has anyone some ideas !!! In my outlook profile I have only one Archive Folder ! By Antonio ...

Exchange 5.5 and Public Contact Folder
We have a public folder that contains contact items. We'd like to know who creates each contact in the folder. Is there anyway to see who created an item in there? thanks if you change the view on the folder and add the "from" field, you should be able to see... "Steve" <sschmeg@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OVaz%23mnxEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > We have a public folder that contains contact items. We'd like to know who > creates each contact in the folder. Is there anyway to see who created an > item in there? > > thanks > >...

In Excel 2007, the open file window does not display the folders p
When I'm in excel 2007 and I want to open a new file, the folders pane is gone. I used to have it and I even added folders that I used most frequently but now it's gone. I know the IT deparment did an upgrade but others still have it and I'm the only one that got affected. Please help, now I have to navigate to get the the files that I need. ...

Can't access propertys of public folders
We recently upgraded from NT4 server and exchange 5.5 to 2003 server and exchange 2003. When we were all finished I could access properties of public folders through exchange system manager. About a week after the upgrade was all finished I went to implement OWA which was one of the reasons we were doing the upgrade. I found very quickly that I could not access the IIS manager. I did some digging and found that I needed to reinstall IIS on my exchange server but unfortunately to do that I also had to reinstall exchange. I followed the instructions from this KB article http://su...

defrag users mailbox in ex2k3 enterprise
Can anyone tell me of a better way to do clean up mailbox space on an exchange 2003 enterprise then doing an offline defragmentation. I ran it but it did not reduce the size down as it should have. Is there a way to copy your users to a different store or something to that affect. Thanks On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:16:55 -0500, "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote: >Can anyone tell me of a better way to do clean up mailbox space on an >exchange 2003 enterprise then doing an offline defragmentation. I ran it >but it did not reduce the size down as it should hav...

Excel 2007 Macro: Open a file from any folder
Hello. How do you code a macro so that you can pop up a file dialog screen to open a worksheet from any folder of your choice? Thanks in advance. Same as always: Dim myName As String myName = Application.GetOpenFilename If myName = False Then MsgBox "You pressed cancel" Exit Sub End If Workbooks.Open myName HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:eS8FI0UeIHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello. How do you code a macro so that you can pop up a file dialog screen to open a worksheet > from any folder of y...

Messages not saved in Sent Items Folder
Outlook 2003. Some messages are not being saved to the Sent Items Folder even though it is checked in the options. Does not matter whether is a reply, forward or a new email. It is seemingly random with most messages being saved correctly to the Sent Items Folder. Any Ideas? Thanks, Hugo I have a similar problem, along the lines of the below: When i type email and attempt to send when not connected (due to temporary connectivity issues and when unable to connect), the mail is saved in Outbox. When next connected, the mail is sent *but* the mail is not saved in sent items folder. Sending wh...

API call in Windows that can retrieve the size of a folder ??
API call in Windows that can retrieve the size of a folder ?? Folks, Does anyone know of a system call (where you give the name of a directory) and it retrieves the combined size of all the files in the folder (doesn't have to be recursive), or a similiar call for a file????? Any suggestions would be appreciated Regards You might probably be able to use the ZwQueryInformationFile() API. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Peter McCarthy" <petergmccarthy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Rx7qb.4388$bD.16747@news.indigo.ie... &...

How can I transfer emails in a Mailbox folder to a USB device?
I have a large number of emails saved in a folder in my Mail box. Some of the emails have files attached, and some do not. I want to save all the emails (including the attachments) to a USB device. You cannot, assuming you are referring to Outlook you can only copy the data file in its entirety, which can then only be accessed within Outlook. You could save the emails as eml files and save the attachments seperately "Harrinton" <Harrinton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F90EC062-4359-42E9-96FD-F88EA6536F09@microsoft.com... > I have a large numb...

reading file name from folder function
I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please let me know. Thanks. Hi. >I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all >the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please see the getFileInfo( ) function in the tip, "How to compare the contents of two directories," on the following Web page for an example: http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/vba1.html HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http...

recovered messages folders again and again and cant visualize
Today windows mail "crashed" with no obvious reason. After that a "recovered messages" folder started to appear, so moved my "recovered" out the recovered folder to it's original position. I was almost glad at that point, but now on a closer look what I have is: My folders have the full amount of my messages, and my messages keep the subject and file size, but I can't visualize any content (just an error message instead saying message can't show), I'm surprised because those are not 0 kb files... Besides, every lauch I get the recove...

MSExchange IS Public Queue rising
Hello, I have Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 (all latest patches and SP). The server has been running for over a year but in the past month I have noticed the Public Send Queue at times increase because I monitor that queue. My understand is that this queue is used for public folder replication. Is there a way to troubleshoot this and determine what is causing the queue to increase? Can I determine what folder information is being replicated? Are there any settings I can check? The queue increasing appears to happen ever few days, both in the PM and AM. It's not causing any...

How to access Public folders and calendar through POP and SMTP
Hi, Can anyone help in configuring the Microsoft outlook 2003 with Public Folders and Calendar. What i want is to configure email account through POP/SMTP but could also able to see my public folders and calendra. Thanks in Advance Best Regards Andrew On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:25:03 -0700, Andrew <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Can anyone help in configuring the Microsoft outlook 2003 with Public >Folders and Calendar. What i want is to configure email account through >POP/SMTP but could also able to see my public folders and calendra. > > &...

At my wits end OWA and Public Folders
I have exchange 2k3. OWA works in both basic and premium. When I try to view the public folders in premium mode it sits or hangs at "updating view". If I go in through basic then I can view hte public fodlers immediately and see the calendars. When i try to post a new appointment it gives me an error 61 in IE saying object expected. I have checked all teh permissions...and updated IE as best I can...any suggestions? Thanks ...

Unremovable Duplicate Personal & Archive Folders
I have two Archive Folders and two Personal Folders showing in the folders list of Outlook 2001. I have uninstalled Office Outlook twice, gone to RegEdit to remove any stray Outlook registries and reinstalled Office Outlook. I still have duplicate folders along with all my original folders. I have tried the procedures recommended in MS FAQ but a message comes up sasying I cannot "Close the folders" because an "OBJECT" cannot be found. I have also tried renaming the folders but am not allowed to do so. I have backed up all folders in a .pst file so all I want to do ...

Checking a folder for new email
Hi, We have a process that sends an email for every message that is processed (3rd party app). This app dies every now and then and the only way we have to find out about it is that we do not receive emails. Is there a way I can have a scrip that runs on my PC that checks every 15mins for emails in this folder? and then, if the oldest email in the folder is older than 2h seen an alert, popup, email or something? Thanks. George. Am Wed, 10 May 2006 15:28:33 -0400 schrieb George Lake: You can use a task reminder. Each time the reminder fires, add 15 minutes to the reminder time with th...

Exchange 2003 Public Folder Problem #2
All - I have 2 Ex2003 servers, (hqmail & njmail) both hosting public and private store. Both servers are in the same administrative group and in the same routing group. When a user creates a new public folder from a client or from OWA, the public folder is always created on the same server, njmail. When the user uses OWA to browse the public folders, they are redirected to the njmail public no matter where their mailbox resides. Also, the users on hmail and using OL, they experience a delay when trying to view the public folder because they are getting the data from another serve...

Public Function not running
Hey, I have a public function that I call from a cell. The function is: Public Function QuitTime(strQuitTime As String) As Date Dim strHour, strMin As String Dim intHour, intMin As Integer Dim dtTime As Date strHour = Left(strQuitTime, 2) strMin = Right(strQuitTime, 2) dtTime = strHour & ":" & strMin dtTime = dtTime + Range("MainSheet!B2") ' this cell contains the value today() QuitTime = dtTime End Function Anyway, I run a vlookup on this array from another sheet and when ever i run that vlookup, it makes all the cells in th...