ESM in Exchange 2003 won't start/stop SMTP Virtual Server

Has anyone seen an Exchange 2003 cluster where the SMTP
virtual server won't start or stop in ESM. I can change
the properties in the virtual server and can fail it over
successfully in cluster admin. Every time I go to start or
stop the virtual server in ESM in tells me to create an
SMTP resource (Which I have already done). If I take the
resource off-line the SMTP Virtual server stops as well.

Thanks for any help
0
anonymous (74722)

todd wrote:

> Has anyone seen an Exchange 2003 cluster where the SMTP
> virtual server won't start or stop in ESM. I can change
> the properties in the virtual server and can fail it over
> successfully in cluster admin. Every time I go to start or
> stop the virtual server in ESM in tells me to create an
> SMTP resource (Which I have already done). If I take the
> resource off-line the SMTP Virtual server stops as well.
>
> Thanks for any help

With clustered servers you are not supposed to stop the services
manually you should take services offline through the Cluster Administrator.

0
ajgroup (14)
12/5/2003 12:07:31 PM
Andrew Purdon <ajgroup@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>todd wrote:
>
>> Has anyone seen an Exchange 2003 cluster where the SMTP
>> virtual server won't start or stop in ESM. I can change
>> the properties in the virtual server and can fail it over
>> successfully in cluster admin. Every time I go to start or
>> stop the virtual server in ESM in tells me to create an
>> SMTP resource (Which I have already done). If I take the
>> resource off-line the SMTP Virtual server stops as well.
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>
>With clustered servers you are not supposed to stop the services
>manually you should take services offline through the Cluster Administrator.

Stopping a Virtual Server isn't the same as stopping a service. There
may be several VS's all for the same protocol. Stopping, or pausing,
one shouldn't affect the others on the same machine.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

question about moving mailboxes from 2000 exch to 2003 exchange and mail store size
we are finishing up moving all of our mailboxes from our old exchange 2000 server to our new exchange 2003 server. I was researching the registry change you have to make to enable up to a 75 gig mail store with exchange 2003 sp2. When I look at the registry for our exchange 2003 server I only see the key for the PUBLIC store. The PRIVATE does not appear. is this because we have not moved all of our mailboxes and so have not removed the exchange 2000 server yet? I wasnt going to make the registry change yet, just researching so I can do this when we finished moving the rest of the mai...

how do i refresh a pivot table drop down list in excel 2003?
when i remove data from my source tab, the entries still show in the drop down list for the field in my pivot table. i am trying to figure out how to remove them. i tried removing the field from the pivot table, refreshing the pivot table, and then placing the field back in. that only works sometimes. ...

backing up exchange
I use the backup included with win2000 server, running exchange 2000. I select the exchange server and message stores. Whats the best way to test and make sure individual mailboxes are being backed up? Are there any permissions issues to access those mailboxes to be backed up? Thanks in advance if you're doing online backups, you are not backing up individual mailboxes, but the entire store/s...only way to ensure the backups are valid is to build a recovery server, and do a test restore... "Robrjt2" <robrjt2@aol.com> wrote in message news:20040916150235.22932.00000551...

How Safe Are Exchange Raw Mail Files?
Hi There, My company has mandated that our office move over to Exchange 2003. Of all my research, I really only have one small question. That is, how safe and protected are the raw mail files that Exchange stores on the server? In other words, outside of using the user's password, can these files be copied and read later or are they encrypted or protected in some manner? Thanks, -Jay I am pretty certain that the mailbox store, essentially the pair of a Jet database something called a "streaming" file, are not encrypted. You should protect them as you would any se...

DPM 2007
Hello I am trying to enable secondary protection of my primary DPM server (Both Win 2008 R2). However when I go though the agent install process on the secondary DPM server I receive the following error. "Unable to connect to the active directory service database" "Make sure that the DPM server is member of a domain and that a domain controller is running. Also verify that there is network connectivity between the dpm server and the domain controller" "ID72" "Details the server is not operational (0x8007203A)" I have had problem...

exchange enterprise storage limit
I heard that there is an unlimited storage limit for exchange enterprise 2003. Is this true? If so, can I "Actually" have an exchange message store 60 gb or more? Would there be any performance issues? TIA, Jackson Correct, unlimited database size. FYI: Exchange 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 will increase the database limit to 74GB from 16GB. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Jackson" <jackson_num5@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uDVHikUnFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... >I heard that there is an...

Extracting Exchange 2003 Configuration
Does anybody know of any 3rd party Utility or MS utility that can extract the Configuration of an Exchange 2003 Server? ...

Exchange Clusters #2
Good Day All, The company I am with has offices in Toronto, Ontario and in Halifax, NS. I am looking for a solution that would allow our users to connect to a local exchange server (and sql server for that matter) regardless of which office they are in. So if user A in Toronto connects to an exchange server, that user will connect to the server in Toronto whereas if User B in Halifax connects to an exchange server they will connect to the server in Halifax. If user a comes to Halifax for any reason, when they connect to exchange I want the connection for them to go to the halifax server wi...

exchange crm router rules cleaning tool
Hi, I'm working with one server where is installed Exchange, AD, and Exchange CRM Router, and another with CRM3.0. So I uninstalled the Exchange CRM router without deleting the deployed rules. I installed the crm router again but when some users sent emails one email is returned indicating that the message could not be delivered to the past router's mailbox. I need to know if it's a tool to delete all the past rules or a way to clean them manually. Hi there You should be able to roolback the Rule - with the Exchagne CRM router tab, If you dont you can delete the rule eith...

Building a new Exchange 2003 server
Hi I am currently in the planning stage of adding a second Exchange Server 2003 to my domain. I currently have 1 x Exchange 2003 server, 2 x DC Win Server 2000. What we need to do is to build a new server with Win 2003 install Exchange 2003, make this the primary Exchange server, then the original server will become the back up Exchange server which I intend to keep synchronised using EMC replistor produce. Can someone please advise on best practices, any gotchas and any reccommended reading before we undertake this project. As an aside we are also planning to upgrade the domain controllers ...

Sql server locking/blocking issue
hi guys, I have a procedure to delete old records by id (clustered index) from the a big table (delete about 150k records at a time comparing to 30 M total in the table) and at the same time, some procedures will insert or update data in this table by id as well. When I did the tests, I found the first procedure is blocking all other insert/update procedures. The locks of the first procedure has is the PAGE exclusive lock. Those update/insert procedures will only work on the newer ids. I don't know why this block can happen. Could anyone here help me explain a little bit? R...

How to forward message with SMTP addresses
We have exchange server2000 and outlook 2002. When we forward a message the original message is reported on bottom but e-mail address in the original message are lost: only the display name is displayed with no info about the real e-mail address. For example: -----Original Message----- From: Anto Smith Sent: 21 October 2003 12:16 To: John Stepp Subject: FW: Receipt for Fonts.com Order Instead of : -----Original Message----- From: Anto Smith a.smith@abcd.com Sent: 21 October 2003 12:16 To: John Stepp j.stepp@abcd.com Subject: FW: Receipt for Fonts.com Order Any idea on how to fix it? Than...

Stop Recording ToolBar dissappeared in my Excel WorkSheet?
I used Macro function in Excel WorkSheet.But now the Stop Recording/Relative Reference Button ToolBar for Macro does not appear any more?Can someone help me restore this option again? Regards Select Tools-Customize-Toolbar tab - Click 'Reset' and 'Ok' "Aamir" wrote: > I used Macro function in Excel WorkSheet.But now the Stop Recording/Relative > Reference Button ToolBar for Macro does not appear any more?Can someone help > me restore this option again? > Regards Once you click record macro, click right button on the tool bar, select 'Stop reco...

Outlook 2002 not recieving new Exchange mail until I click on program.
Hello! Outlook 2002 v10.6515.6626 SP 3 on Windows XP Pro SP1. I can sit with no programs running except for Outlook and watch the screen do nothing. If I click somplace on Outlook, such as a folder or any message EXCEPT the one in the preview pane, Outlook will suddently recieve all the email that I have been sent since the last time I clicked on the program. This could be five minutes or 30 minutes... I do not recieve any mail until I actually click on Outlook. I'm connecting to an Exchange server on our LAN and I'm always connected. Can someone suggest why this may be happening? I...

Backing up Exchange 2003 SP2 with DPM 2007 on Windows server 2008
In order to be able to back up a Exchange 2003 SP2 server I need to install Exhange 2007 Management Tools on the DPM 2007 server. The DPM server is running on Windows Server 2008 (64bit). From Ms articles: “The eseutil.exe and ese.dll versions that are installed on the most recent edition of Exchange Server must be the same versions that are installed on the DPM server. If you installed DPM 2007 on a Windows Server 2008 operating system, and you are Protecting Exchange Server 2003 on a Windows Server 2003 computer, you must install the Exchange Server 2007 version of the eseut...

Project Web Access 2003 (SP3) and IE8
My organization will upgrade all the client desktop computer from XP (SP2) to Windows7 (64-bit) with Office 2010 (32-bit) and IE8 by the end of this year. Our group is currently using Project Server 2003 (SP3) with SQL Server 2005 (SP3). I would like to know if the current configuration of client - Project Professional 2003 and PWA 2003 (SP3) - will be compatible with the new Windows 7 environment. In the official Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility site, Project Professional 2003 is certified as "compatible", but no information on PWA. I also concerned about PWA and IE8 ...

mailbox information wrong in Exchange 2000 system manager
I have one mailbox store with about 600 mailboxes. Displayed the mailbox es and saw that the number of items, size and last logged on by information for several accounts that I researched is wrong. In one case, a recently hired employee's account displays 22,629 total items. Opened the account and there are less than 100. Just scanning the mailbox information I found 15 accounts with the same number of total items and the same size. Very unlikey. Numerous accounts display the same last logged on by information. Another user not a service. Does anyone have any thoughts or insights? T...

Word 2003 vs Word 2007 and XML
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the way Word 2003 worked as far as direct formatting goes vs. 2007 and the XML background. It is my understanding that if you used direct formatting in Word 2003 instead of using styles, it created problems with corruption because Word 2003 would put a a code before and after each and every character selected. For example, if someone had a document they received in Courier New that was 50 pages long and they selected the entire document and changed the font to Times New Roman (TNR), every character throughout the document would have a...

new office 2003 outlook
My email account is set up exactly like the old office, old earthlink set-ups, old folders, etc., yet i cannot Send/Receive in the new Outlook 2003. Any ideas? SOunds exactly like my problem with OL2003 as posted today: URGENT: OL2003: can receive e-mail ONLY ONCE (?!?) Except that I can't get ANY account to work. btw it's all POP3 with me, and I can receive them exactly on the first start of OL2003 after creaton of the profile and the accounts settings, and no more after OL2003 has been closed and re-opened. Philotech "Sandy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com...

Renaming the exchnage server 2003
I have installed new exchange server 2003 (exchange1) , thus retiring old exchange server 2003 (exchange). How do i chnage the name of new exchnage server (exchange1) to old server name (exchange)? which will save me time to reconfigure all outlook clients. Thank you for your help in adavance. arun Outlook clients will automatically be redirected to the new server after their mailboxes are moved - there's no need to change the server name. If you can't do without reverting to the old servername, this may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822945/ -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Excha...

Exchange 2003 Mail Wizard is not working -- Please Help!!
When I go through the wizard I get an error "To send Internet email, the selected Server cannot be a bridgeheade Server then if I deselect send internet email I get "The SMTP virtual server 'Default SMTP virtual server' on the selected server does not have the binding of all unassigned/port 25 What does this mean Will You cant run Internet Mail Wizard twice. If you do that you olways get erorr "To send Internet email, the selected Server cannot be a bridgeheade Server" You must delete Internet Mail Connector and ReRun Internet Mail Wizard I think this help y...

outlook 2003 earthlink e-mail
When setting up the outlook 2003 account via earthlink, the test message would not send. All settings, POP3, SMTP were correct and tested so. Any ideas? Thank you, jdarden56 Did you get an error message? Does the outgoing mail server require authentication at Earthlink? If so, have you configured Outlook that way? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm "jdarden56" <jdarden56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F8845BF-0429-41EB-8174-C4A9E54BB1E3@microsoft.com... &g...

Starting Adobe Acrobat Reader Publisher install begins
When Adobe Acrobat Reader is requested either by me or a web program, Publisher install program begins. It is always helpful to know the version of Publisher you are using. OFF2000: Windows Installer Appears Every Time a Program Is Started http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;265194 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "AZGardening" <AZGardening@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A03897E9-D215-44B9-8EC9-D85A3B28CC19@microsoft.com... > When Adobe Acrobat Reader is requested...

DNR Messages from Exchange 2003 Server
We have Exchange setup to forward all DNR messages to a specific address. Is there any way to configure it to include the original sender that sent the message that caused the DNR? Right now, I get the DNR message from anyone in the company, but I never know who it is from, just who they were trying to reach. Thanks. Babakganoosh <Babakganoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have Exchange setup to forward all DNR messages to a specific address. Is >there any way to configure it to include the original sender that sent the >message that caused the DNR? Right no...

Exchange 5.5 and 2003
I am running exchange 2003 and 5.5 in the same domain. when I try to send mail from exch2003 to a user using exchange 5.5, I get the following error: (the user, using exch2003 can see the users on exch5.5.) The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'bay1@ges.tkk.com' on 13/07/2004 12:26 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <postane.ges.net #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for bay1@ges.tkk.com> Tell us how you installed Exch2003. bayraktar wrote: > I am ru...