Error connecting to SMTP Exchange 2003

HI All,

Recently I received this error when I connect Outlook
express to the Exchange server 2003.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.
Possible causes for this include server problems, network
problems, or a long period of inactivity.
Account: 'V_E_R@tcl.com.ph', Server: 'MAILSERVER',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x800CCC0F

I received this error when I checked if my server is an
open relay.

I look into KB and found there to secure my relay with
System Manager > Server > Protocols > STMP > Deafault
SMTP Virtual Server right click it on ACCESS tab enter
the IP Address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.255 on only allow
this list to allow only my private IPs to relay SMTP.

but when I test the connection.. I cannot telnet on port
25 anymore and I also cannot connect OE to the server. I
get the same error even if I remove the ip address I once
enter for testing.

I always restart the service when changing config

Please advise!
0
anonymous (74722)

"disk0nek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>HI All,
>
>Recently I received this error when I connect Outlook
>express to the Exchange server 2003.
>

>Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.
>Possible causes for this include server problems, network
>problems, or a long period of inactivity.
>Account: 'V_E_R@tcl.com.ph', Server: 'MAILSERVER',
>Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
>0x800CCC0F
>
>I received this error when I checked if my server is an
>open relay.
>
>I look into KB and found there to secure my relay with
>System Manager > Server > Protocols > STMP > Deafault
>SMTP Virtual Server right click it on ACCESS tab enter
>the IP Address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.255 on only allow
>this list to allow only my private IPs to relay SMTP.
>
>but when I test the connection.. I cannot telnet on port
>25 anymore and I also cannot connect OE to the server. I
>get the same error even if I remove the ip address I once
>enter for testing.
>
>I always restart the service when changing config
>
>Please advise!

This:
192.168.0.1 255.255.255.255
Looks like your problem.
Did you actually type that subnet or is it a typo?
If your network is 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 then you needed to
have entered 192.168.0.0 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,
FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.uk
0
mark7219 (5666)
8/11/2004 9:50:44 AM
Hello,

Thanks for reply.. I am new with TCP/IP thing to my
knowledge I believe that when you enter 192.168.0.1 with a
mask of 255.255.255.255 this will mean the whole ip block
of 192.168.1-254? I also thought that when you use the
255.255.255.0 mask this will only one computer or IP.

Nway I try to add the range into the allow relay your
suggestion of putting 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 restart
that smtp service and do the same with PoP3 then i telnet
the Server IP on port 25 and 110 but still I cannot
connect.

Any other ideas?

0
anonymous (74722)
8/11/2004 10:34:54 AM
Mark was correct with the IP address and subnet mask.
A subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 is not valid.

You might also want to check to make sure you have the
correct DNS settings on the client PC.  Make sure that it
is not pointing to any external DNS servers and only have
your local internal servers listed.

0
elbryyan (9)
8/11/2004 1:33:50 PM
As you've seen from the other reply, your IP understanding is
certainly short. Therefore I would suggest you remove any IP related
changes that you have done and test again.
If that works then you can read some more on IP and then attempt to
walk through some changes again.