Email sent from the Administrator account

We just put up SBS 2003 which includes Exchange 2003.  I've been monitoring
the Que and notice most of the messages are from the system or Administrator
account.  Then I looked at the extended server usage report to discover that
the administrator has sent over 1500 emails compared to abot 300 for my 12
other users.  Questions:

1- Is this normal?
2- Is this machine being spammed or used in some way?
3- Has someone hacked the account?

Please excuse the newbie question.  I searched the newsgroups and couldn't
find the answer.


0
Lee1440 (4)
2/15/2004 8:57:15 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
407 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 16

If you're seeing <> as the from address, it's just your server sending out
an NDR or delivery receipt. Normal behavior. Your domain has probably
attracted a lot of spammers who are trying to send mail to nonexistent
addresses....



news.ptd.net wrote:
> We just put up SBS 2003 which includes Exchange 2003.  I've been
> monitoring the Que and notice most of the messages are from the
> system or Administrator account.  Then I looked at the extended
> server usage report to discover that the administrator has sent over
> 1500 emails compared to abot 300 for my 12 other users.  Questions:
>
> 1- Is this normal?
> 2- Is this machine being spammed or used in some way?
> 3- Has someone hacked the account?
>
> Please excuse the newbie question.  I searched the newsgroups and
> couldn't find the answer.


0
lanwench (7567)
2/15/2004 10:37:30 PM
I will check the messages.  I disabled the POP protocol from the
Administrator account which seemed to reduce the traffic without seemingly
affecting any mail delivery.  We don't want to use POP for anything anyway.
We're having the users access either with the client in the office or OWA
remotely.

I purchased the book, "Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Unleashed".  The
author recommends removing the Administrator exchange mailbox.  I'm
reluctant to do that.  I don't fully understand how the Administrator
account works to support Exchange.  Can I safely remove the mailbox?

Lee Allen
Lee@doreyrealestate.com


"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uHVRJxB9DHA.400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> If you're seeing <> as the from address, it's just your server sending out
> an NDR or delivery receipt. Normal behavior. Your domain has probably
> attracted a lot of spammers who are trying to send mail to nonexistent
> addresses....


0
Lee1440 (4)
2/24/2004 3:15:06 AM
news.ptd.net wrote:
> I will check the messages.  I disabled the POP protocol from the
> Administrator account which seemed to reduce the traffic without
> seemingly affecting any mail delivery.  We don't want to use POP for
> anything anyway. We're having the users access either with the client
> in the office or OWA remotely.

If you block port 110 in your firewall and/or disable the POP3 service
entirely, it's easy to stop anyone using POP. But POP isn't related to relay
or to inbound spam, so this won't make any difference there....

>
> I purchased the book, "Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Unleashed".  The
> author recommends removing the Administrator exchange mailbox.  I'm
> reluctant to do that.  I don't fully understand how the Administrator
> account works to support Exchange.  Can I safely remove the mailbox?

I wouldn't, but what's the reason they want you to do it?

>
> Lee Allen
> Lee@doreyrealestate.com
>
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:uHVRJxB9DHA.400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> If you're seeing <> as the from address, it's just your server
>> sending out an NDR or delivery receipt. Normal behavior. Your domain
>> has probably attracted a lot of spammers who are trying to send mail
>> to nonexistent addresses....


0
lanwench (7567)
2/24/2004 2:30:25 PM
Ok I went back and re-read the section in the book on the accounts.  I think
I misunderstood what they were recommending.  Specifically it sais:
"Administrative and Operator accounts should not have mailboxes."  (page
309) They don't really explain why, the statement is part of a set of policy
recommendations.

Thanks

> > I purchased the book, "Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Unleashed".  The
> > author recommends removing the Administrator exchange mailbox.  I'm
> > reluctant to do that.  I don't fully understand how the Administrator
> > account works to support Exchange.  Can I safely remove the mailbox?
>
> I wouldn't, but what's the reason they want you to do it?
>
> >
> > Lee Allen
> > Lee@doreyrealestate.com
> >
> >
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:uHVRJxB9DHA.400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> If you're seeing <> as the from address, it's just your server
> >> sending out an NDR or delivery receipt. Normal behavior. Your domain
> >> has probably attracted a lot of spammers who are trying to send mail
> >> to nonexistent addresses....
>
>


0
Lee1440 (4)
2/25/2004 1:11:35 AM
"news.ptd.net" <Lee@doreyrealestate.com> wrote:

>Ok I went back and re-read the section in the book on the accounts.  I think
>I misunderstood what they were recommending.  Specifically it sais:
>"Administrative and Operator accounts should not have mailboxes."  (page
>309) They don't really explain why, the statement is part of a set of policy
>recommendations.

in general, administrative accounts should be used for administrative
tasks, and 'normal' user accounts should be used for everything else.

just imagine the first 'smart' virus/worm that attacks the ad . . .
the imagine running that virus/worm with administrative privileges.


-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
0
richnews (7316)
2/25/2004 10:16:29 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Email forwarding #9
I have a user that sometimes doesn't get all his email because the sender doesn't spell the name quite right. Is their a way to setup under Exchange 2003 to have those emails forwarded to his correct email address when they come in ? if an email address is not exactly correct, it's not going to be delivered...there's no way to specify all "possible versions" of a user's address...if there are a few common ones, you can add those smtp addresses to his mailbox... "Jeffatsc" <Jeffatsc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B65502E-0254...

Analytical Accounting in Frx
I have an FrX report using Analytical Accounting Codes. An intercompany entry was entered into 2008 after 2008 was closed in GP. For some reason, this transaction is only showing up for the destination company in FrX reporting. The transaction from the Originating company doesn't appear to exist when doing analytical reporting, but is fine when doing a normal non analytical accounting report. Does anyone know what might cause this and what the best fix is? L ...

What is the administrator password? What if I've never set it?
I have heard of the "administrator password" for a super-administrator. But I have never "set" the "administrator password" or "super admin password". I do, however, have a user account with admin privileges that I set a password to. Is that the same thing? Does my creating a user account with admin privileges and password make the password for the super-admin the same, or will the vista admin password still remain blank? I'm wondering if this is the case, if a hacker tried to break into my system to grab files, if I never set th...

Deleted local ost file to reset things.. now one user when sending email, gets email stuck in the Outbox (outlook 2003)...
I'm really at a loss on this one.. I went through and deleted this users ost file.. so as to resynch with exchange (2007).. now suddenly.. when he emails.. he cant send.. they get stuck in the outbox.. I've seen several threads telling to try this and that.. but none have fixed the problem. I'm not really sure how to go about fixing this one? ...

I want to set up my email msn email on outlook what do I do at th.
housefinder1 <housefinder1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Ask in the body of the message. -- Brian Tillman ...

Email to customers
Hello, My client would like to send mass emails to her clients. 1. Is it possible for Outlook to somehow use the customer data in the RMS database as an address book? 2. If no, is there functionality within the RMS system to email to customers? I can't seem to find it. 3. If 1 and 2 aren't possible, what's the best option? I can create a SQL statement against the database using 3rd party software, but that seems like the least preferable path. I have seen posts from others to add customer email to one of the standard reports, but that also seems cumbersome. Is th...

Duplicate Email Headers
Why I am receiving two copies of new email in my inbox? My Outlook Express is confingured to connect to my hotmail account, which it does successfully. However, when it receives new mail my inbox shows TWO headers of each email. Then, if I open one of the emails and click back to my inbox the other duplicates disappear! Any ideas? Ta Hi, Gary - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you po...

receiving email in exchange 2003
Having trouble hoping someone can help out. Not sure if my problem is DNS. I have an Exchange server that will send email to outside domains but will not receive. I have it setting behind my firewall. I can see my firewall from out side and it is set to allow www pop3 and SMTP in. I can ping my domain if I type www.domainname.com, mail.domainname.com and ns1.domainname.com. I cannot ping servername.domainname.com My server has a private address where the firewall has a public address. This server is also set to host my web page witch is viewable from outside. In my DNS I have www and mail and...

Two email accounts
I have set up two email accounts on outlook on two different servers. My primary server (the one i've been using) works fine, but the second one keeps prompting me for my user name and password. I've validated it and it just keeps popping up. it won't send my emails from this server but i have received some. i've verified all the fill-in information with both servers / providers. is this a problem with two accounts on outlook as suggested by some of my contacts? thanks for any help ...

Adding a list of email to junk senders 2003.
I used to do this all the time in 2000. I would select a whole bunch of junk email and send it all to the "add to junk senders list" with a toolbar shortcut (i.e. adding that command to the toolbar). A lot faster than doing it one at a time. Now that I have 2003 when I select more than one email the button shades out. There has to be way. Ideas? Thanks. ...

Deactivate Account while checking mail
In older versions of OL, I remember there used to be a checkbox for including (or not including) a particular mail account when checking for new mail with Send/Receive All. How does one do that in OL2003? I have several mail accounts, a couple of which I would like to temporarily deactivate when getting new mail. How do I do that? On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:11:25 -0700, "Sitara Lal" <lalsitara@filter.indiatimes.com> wrote: >In older versions of OL, I remember there used to be a checkbox for >including (or not including) a particular mail account when checking for new >...

losing my email
My email keep disappearing. I read them than when I try to find them they are gone. I am using outlook 2008 on win xp. Outlook 2008 is for the Apple Mac rperaz98720 wrote: > My email keep disappearing. I read them than when I try to find them they are > gone. I am using outlook 2008 on win xp. ...

Receving 2 of every email message in OL 2003
My wife's email account receives 2 of every email. My email account is the primary acount, hers is the second account. ...

outlook express
Can anyone help? I am using Outlook Express and would like to transfer some email folders and emails to a CD. The directions in help tell me to compact the folder and then copy it to a CD. I have compacted it but for the life of me cannot figure out how to copy it to the CD. Can anyone help? <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fa6901c43e76$b57938a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone help? I am using Outlook Express and would > like to transfer some email folders and emails to a CD. > The directions in help tell me to compact the folder and > t...

Account List doesnt't apear
I recently upgrade to 2007 when my old version stopped being supported and I have found one really annoying quirk. When I go to Account list, none of the account names show up. I have to resize a column(any onewill do) before they show up. Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can fix it? I even tried reinstalling and it still does it. Also I don't use online updates, is ther a way to get rid of the columns used for this? They are just annoying if you don't use it, and I didn't see anythign in the options area Thanks -- Dan I had a similar problem once. E...

CRM's icon should disappear after del a Email activity in outlook
After deleting an e-mail activity in CRM which is tracked in Outlook, the CRM icon do not disappear from the Outlook message. This way, the user thinks that the e-mail is still tracked in CRM. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Bu...

Welcome Email
We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. Is there a way to setup an automatic welcome email when a new mailbox is created? Only if you want to write some code. The most typical way to do this is use a script to create the mailbox that sends the welcome message. Andy "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:359801c47ede$f78f7530$a501280a@phx.gbl... > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. Is there a > way to setup an automatic welcome email when a new > mailbox is created? any one knows what script do that? any other met...

account balances #2
in my account list my account balance is different from my actual balances How nice. Was there a question here? It always helps if you let us know what it is that you want. You might want to try the msmoney -s cure. More about this at http://www.bollar.org/msmoney "JL McCampbell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3d7f01c3e359$1e42bab0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > in my account list my account balance is different from > my actual balances Longjohn asked the same question on Jan.21. You could try the cures suggested in the answers to him. "J...

multiple uses on one email address
how can you use one email address when windows xp as different log ins for each person in the house. can you have different addresses Check with your ISP. They may offer multiple addresses for your account. That way each person logging in can have their own. "annette" <annette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4304D1C3-F36A-4C17-89BE-CD03BCF517A5@microsoft.com... > how can you use one email address when windows xp as different log ins for > each person in the house. can you have different addresses annette <annette@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Outlook 2003 - 2 accounts
This is another frustration I have not been able to resolve: 2 MSN http accounts set up in Outlook 2003. If I send an email from either account, the email is labled as FROM my account (default). Is there a way to have email from each account be "From" each account? ...

issue with IMAP & multiple Windows accounts
I have two user accounts set up in Windows Vista Pro, mine & my roommates. In Outlook 2007 I have several IMAP accounts set up. A couple of the IMAP accounts are showing up in my roommates Outlook 2007 folders list. I look under the account settings in his Outlook, the IMAP accounts are not there.I right click on the IMAP accounts in the folder list and attempt to close them, but can not, I get a message that I need to delete the accout first. I uninstalled Outlook, deleted the Outlook folder from both my account & his account, both local & roaming. I reinstalled...

deleting emails
My red "X" has disappeared and I am not able to delete emails. Help! What about the Delete key? Or Right Click | Delete? Have you tried to customize the toolbar and add the button back? View | Layout | Customize Toolbar. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "jean" <jean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21528791-1154-4E3F-A5D2-C086B4491FB0@microsoft.com... > My red "X" has disappeared and I am not able to delete emails. Help! ...

Check Email While Logged Off
I use Outlook 2000 on a W2K Pro machine with a broadband interne connection. I would like to still receive emails when I am logged of the machine. Otherwise they sit on the mailserver and when my emai fills up they get kicked back. Does anyone know how to make windows d that? I have used third party software that would run as a service an forward mail received to an exchange box. In this case I am no running exchange, just Outlook. I can't find anything on the net abou this. Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~Vie...

Count new emails, appointments
I need to programmatically count the total number of new emails and total number of today's appointments in my calender. What is the bestway to do it? Note: I have to display it as a sharepoint webpart. Thanks for any input. J Justin ...

passwords on outlook email
Howdy Folks! For some reason my Outlook setup will not remember a password making it necessary to type it in everytime I log in and sometimes even after login when hitting the send/receive button. Any thoughts???? Thanks If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, then see if this article addresses your problemL OL2002: The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a POP3 Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...