Email routing problem

Hello all,

I would appreciate advices for the following scenario.
I have three mail servers responsible for SMTP address spaces A, B, and C.
Only server A is public. It is being used as a front-end SMTP router and
also runs anti-spam and anti-virus. Servers B and C host mailboxes for two
overlapping sets of users - I mean that some users have mailboxes on both
servers and connect to either one depending on what computer they are using.
Only server B is Exchange 2003; server C is just a third party IMAP server.
Server A is Sendmail and runs on Linux. It is configured to forward all
incoming emails to both servers B and C.

Company policy requires ALL mail traffic to flow through server A. Also, all
email messages for users that have mailboxes on both servers B and C, should
reach both mailboxes (so that these mailboxes are actually copies of each
other).

Problem is, that when I send emails between users of server B (Exchange),
they never hit the wire or even MTA, since Exchange handles them internally.
I need these emails to be forwarded to server A and further to server C.

Proposed solution: For all users of server B, create contacts (hidden from
GAL) with respective addresses from domain C. Configure each user account on
server B to forward all emails to the respective contact.
Note that I cannot configure the contact with address from domain A
(public), because it will create a loop - infinite (well, until number of
hops expires) forwarding between domains A and B.

This meets the company policy requirements. However, a new problem arises:
when a letter comes from the outside world, server A forwards it to both
servers B and C, and then server B forwards it once again to server C. As a
result, user on server C receives a duplicate copy, which is bad.

How to fix this problem?

I strongly suspect that there is a better solution based on creating smart
recipient update policies on server B, that will take care of the routing.
There are several KB articles on how to share the SMTP address space:
822943, 321721, and especially 319759. However, they all refer to the
creation of two similar policies that only differ on specifying which suffix
will be a primary address, and, frankly, I cannot understand the logic
there.

The scenario described seems to be pretty general, and I am sure many of you
are using similar configurations. Can you advise?

Thanks!

0
msexpert (42)

On your Exchange 2003 server, forward all unresolved
recipients to host, on the props of the SMTP VS, likewise
on the IMAP server, do something similar if the otpion is
available. I am assuming same SMTP domain name, yes?

David

0
anonymous (74722)
7/23/2004 7:16:43 PM
Nevermind, you have 3 SMTP domains..well, the Exchange
2003 server, does it have mailboxes on it from all 3
domains? I think this is relatively quick to resolve, if
we know your whole setup.

David

0
anonymous (74722)
7/23/2004 7:19:38 PM
Thanks David,

Exchange 2003 only has mailboxes from its own domain. However, some users
(not all) have mailboxes on both server B (Exchange) and server C (IMAP).
They want them to be synchronized at all times.

Exchange has a SMTP connector pointing to the smart host (server A), where
it sends all unresolved emails.

Please ask more questions if you need additional details. I tried to be as
descriptive as I could in my initial post.

Thanks,
Boris

"David Wilhoit [Exchange MVP]" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:31dc01c470e9$ff80ab90$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Nevermind, you have 3 SMTP domains..well, the Exchange
> 2003 server, does it have mailboxes on it from all 3
> domains? I think this is relatively quick to resolve, if
> we know your whole setup.
>
> David

0
msexpert (42)
7/23/2004 7:30:02 PM
You can't "syncronize" the mailboxes, that's not going to
happen with a normal process. Now, if the message never
gets out of the queue (MTA has no part in this, unless
there's a 5.5 server in your site) DNS is not finding the
SMTP domain that the message came from. So, if the
Exchange server, B, is sending to another SMTP domain
internally, A or C, you can use an SMTP connector to send
all messages for a particualr domain to an IP address. But
if either domain A or C has mailboxes on Exchange, then
you need to make Exchange primary for those domains, then
forward unresolved recipients to host, that being the IMAP
server, where the other mailboxes live. Since Exchange has
this functionality built in, why not make it responsible
for all email, after Server A handles the front end chores?

David

0
anonymous (74722)
7/23/2004 8:00:05 PM
The reason why - as I explained it - is in the fact that Exchange will never
send to smarthost any letters where it is able to find a recipient itself.
So the local mail - say, from user1@B to user2@B - never leaves Exchange.
But it has to, in order to hit server A, that's the company policy. That is
why I need either to create a contact or to invent some recipient policy
responsible for email forwarding.
Now the problem is that if the above is implemented, external mails are
delivered twice to server C.

Reason to synchronize mailboxes is, that some users connect to different
mail servers from different machines (from Linux to IMAP, from Outlook to
Exchange) and they want to keep both mail servers and still to be able to
see the same messages every time they use either one. I wish I could migrate
everything to Exchange and maintain best operations environment, but
unfortunately this is not an option.

in message news:314901c470ef$a60ea9d0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> You can't "syncronize" the mailboxes, that's not going to
> happen with a normal process. Now, if the message never
> gets out of the queue (MTA has no part in this, unless
> there's a 5.5 server in your site) DNS is not finding the
> SMTP domain that the message came from. So, if the
> Exchange server, B, is sending to another SMTP domain
> internally, A or C, you can use an SMTP connector to send
> all messages for a particualr domain to an IP address. But
> if either domain A or C has mailboxes on Exchange, then
> you need to make Exchange primary for those domains, then
> forward unresolved recipients to host, that being the IMAP
> server, where the other mailboxes live. Since Exchange has
> this functionality built in, why not make it responsible
> for all email, after Server A handles the front end chores?
>
> David

0
msexpert (42)
7/23/2004 9:37:36 PM
Your problem:

external email or internal email from domain C
<Route 1>: [Internet or IMAP client] --(SMTP)--> A --(SMTP)--> C
<Route 2>: [Internet or IMAP client] --(SMTP)--> A --(SMTP)--> B --(SMTP
Fwd)--> C
Duplication!!!

internal email from domain B
<Route 3>: [Outlook or OWA] --(RPC/HTTP)--> B --(SMTP Fwd) --> C
No problem here!

To solve the problem, either remove <Route 1> or <Route 2>, <Route 2> is
needed.  I think you could just remove <Route 1>.

i.e Domain A only need to forward emails to domain B, all emails received by
domain B then forward to domain C.  Well, my suggestion is too simple,
right?  I think I've missed something....

--

S.Y.P. Lai
MCSE+Internet NT4

"Boris Lokhvitsky" <msexpert@gmail.com>

> Hello all,
>
> I would appreciate advices for the following scenario.
> I have three mail servers responsible for SMTP address spaces A, B, and C.
> Only server A is public. It is being used as a front-end SMTP router and
> also runs anti-spam and anti-virus. Servers B and C host mailboxes for two
> overlapping sets of users - I mean that some users have mailboxes on both
> servers and connect to either one depending on what computer they are
using.
> Only server B is Exchange 2003; server C is just a third party IMAP
server.
> Server A is Sendmail and runs on Linux. It is configured to forward all
> incoming emails to both servers B and C.
>
> Company policy requires ALL mail traffic to flow through server A. Also,
all
> email messages for users that have mailboxes on both servers B and C,
should
> reach both mailboxes (so that these mailboxes are actually copies of each
> other).
>
> Problem is, that when I send emails between users of server B (Exchange),
> they never hit the wire or even MTA, since Exchange handles them
internally.
> I need these emails to be forwarded to server A and further to server C.
>
> Proposed solution: For all users of server B, create contacts (hidden from
> GAL) with respective addresses from domain C. Configure each user account
on
> server B to forward all emails to the respective contact.
> Note that I cannot configure the contact with address from domain A
> (public), because it will create a loop - infinite (well, until number of
> hops expires) forwarding between domains A and B.
>
> This meets the company policy requirements. However, a new problem arises:
> when a letter comes from the outside world, server A forwards it to both
> servers B and C, and then server B forwards it once again to server C. As
> result, user on server C receives a duplicate copy, which is bad.
>
> How to fix this problem?
>
> I strongly suspect that there is a better solution based on creating smart
> recipient update policies on server B, that will take care of the routing.
> There are several KB articles on how to share the SMTP address space:
> 822943, 321721, and especially 319759. However, they all refer to the
> creation of two similar policies that only differ on specifying which
suffix
> will be a primary address, and, frankly, I cannot understand the logic
> there.
>
> The scenario described seems to be pretty general, and I am sure many of
you
> are using similar configurations. Can you advise?
>
> Thanks!

0
syplai (115)
8/1/2004 4:48:31 PM
Thanks for your answer!
I cannot remove route 1 since server C should be able to receive emails
independently from server B status, for redundancy. Server C is serving the
Unix part of the company, and in no way they will accept themselves being
dependent on Exchange server routing and reliability :)

Boris

"S.Y. Paul Lai" <syplai@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
As
> > result, user on server C receives a duplicate copy, which is bad.
> >
> > How to fix this problem?
> >
> > I strongly suspect that there is a better solution based on creating
smart
> > recipient update policies on server B, that will take care of the
routing.
> > There are several KB articles on how to share the SMTP address space:
> > 822943, 321721, and especially 319759. However, they all refer to the
> > creation of two similar policies that only differ on specifying which
> suffix
> > will be a primary address, and, frankly, I cannot understand the logic
> > there.
> >
> > The scenario described seems to be pretty general, and I am sure many of
> you
> > are using similar configurations. Can you advise?

0
msexpert (42)

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Offline folder problems #2

OLK 2k7

outlook 2k2 problem

Sending Email #6

Hyperlink problem #3

Mother of a sumproduct (ish) problem!

Spam is a big big problem
Spam is a big big problem ...

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Problem with Database Wizard

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

TABSTOP problem
I have a dialog where in depending on the selection from a combo box, the controls below are going to be different. For doing this I have put a static control in the place where I am going to show different controls. I have created different dialog templates for each option. Consider the case of particular option, say "MySQL". Corresponding to this option, there is a dialog in resource, the style of which is child and no border. I have added a class for this dialog called CMySQLDialog. Inside CMySQLDialog there is a function called CreateFromStatic which takes parent and ID as parame...