Email Policy - Corporate Practices - need input from others

Exchange 5.5/NT4.0 - our setup, soon being migrated by a
professional company to Windows 2003 Domain/Exchange 2003.

Right now, we have about 58 users on exchange 5.5

Smallest user maintains their mailbox healthy, around 60megs on any
given day, and they've been here for 2 years.

Other users, who have been here for let's say 8 months, have a
1.7gig mailbox.  From time to time, we have to get users to "shave"
their data down, by removing stuff they truely don't need, remove
items from deleted items, and maintain sent items in a timely
fashion....basically saying this isnt their yahoo or gmail account.
Keep what you need to that enables you to do your job, but when
stuff idles out there that you do not need anymore, please remove
it.... etc..

So getting users do maintain their mailbox every 2-3 months, then
stopping services, then doing an eseutil /d /ispriv to do an offline
defrag to downsize the private information store becomes tidious.

We're creating PST's (FOR NOW), for everyone, and they'll have to
learn how to drag mail from live to pst(Not hard for me and you),
but for non technical users, it'll take a few min of training to
show them how to drag.

This leads into original subject of this post (how do you all, if
you manage mail servers for your company) .. what kind of policies
do you have, that keep your information stores healthy, if pst's are
used, make'ing sure they never grow past 2 gigs....

Our higherups(execs) do heavy email traffic, tons of excel
documents, tons of word documents, and they claim they need it
"all" for "archival purposes", but attitudes like that, to put it it
bluntly is the reason we have to keep getting them to delete, and we
have to run eseutil every so often.

Any input from others, just ideas, on how to deal with this, to make
our job easier :)

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
 * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
none4287 (2)

This has been a continuing problem for me too, I finally just set up another
exchange server for the high gig users, that takes care of the constant
conpacting, mostly.  But you still have the 2 gig limit, which I just explain
to them is a system limitation and they have to use pst folders for long-term
storage.
Also use mailbox manager to delete all deleted items over 3 months old, or
whatever date you pick.  And, set internal and external email size limits to
10 meg.  This corresponds to other mail system standards, and it prevents
people from sending the guy in the office down the hall a 50 meg autocad file
instead of using the network drive.  Then you have to use mailbox manager to
get that out of their sent folder, because it ends up there even if it
doesn't go through.

"Ryan" wrote:

> Exchange 5.5/NT4.0 - our setup, soon being migrated by a
> professional company to Windows 2003 Domain/Exchange 2003.
>

> Right now, we have about 58 users on exchange 5.5
>
> Smallest user maintains their mailbox healthy, around 60megs on any
> given day, and they've been here for 2 years.
>
> Other users, who have been here for let's say 8 months, have a
> 1.7gig mailbox.  From time to time, we have to get users to "shave"
> their data down, by removing stuff they truely don't need, remove
> items from deleted items, and maintain sent items in a timely
> fashion....basically saying this isnt their yahoo or gmail account.
> Keep what you need to that enables you to do your job, but when
> stuff idles out there that you do not need anymore, please remove
> it.... etc..
>
> So getting users do maintain their mailbox every 2-3 months, then
> stopping services, then doing an eseutil /d /ispriv to do an offline
> defrag to downsize the private information store becomes tidious.
>
> We're creating PST's (FOR NOW), for everyone, and they'll have to
> learn how to drag mail from live to pst(Not hard for me and you),
> but for non technical users, it'll take a few min of training to
> show them how to drag.
>
> This leads into original subject of this post (how do you all, if
> you manage mail servers for your company) .. what kind of policies
> do you have, that keep your information stores healthy, if pst's are
> used, make'ing sure they never grow past 2 gigs....
>
> Our higherups(execs) do heavy email traffic, tons of excel
> documents, tons of word documents, and they claim they need it
> "all" for "archival purposes", but attitudes like that, to put it it
> bluntly is the reason we have to keep getting them to delete, and we
> have to run eseutil every so often.
>

> Any input from others, just ideas, on how to deal with this, to make
> our job easier :)

> Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
>  * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
>  * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

dlw (166)
1/17/2006 5:02:03 PM
The best candidate would be an email archiving application such as Legato
(EMC) EmailXtender or Symantec Enterprise Vault but this seems like overkill
for your situation. I can not recommend the use of PST files because unless
you are backing up everyone's machine you are going to get a whole lot of bs
if someone loses a drive. It is far easier to backup your server than worry
about 50 users.

Set a policy for users that restricts the size of their mailbox and one that
is enforced. Set this based on your present storage capacity. Email is
thought of as a critical business tool so be as generous as you can without
killing your storage and allowing for all those exceptions. Don't apply
mailbox policies that just delete email because you can bet your job on the
fact that your users will forget and you'll end up deleting important email.
Use the prohibit send and recieve values. For those people that need higher
storage limits require then to get a Supervisor to approve the increase in
storage.

Get more storage, you should not have to be doing an offline defrag that
frequently.

Nue

"dlw" <dlw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> We're creating PST's (FOR NOW), for everyone, and they'll have to
>> learn how to drag mail from live to pst(Not hard for me and you),
>> but for non technical users, it'll take a few min of training to
>> show them how to drag.
>>
>> This leads into original subject of this post (how do you all, if
>> you manage mail servers for your company) .. what kind of policies
>> do you have, that keep your information stores healthy, if pst's are
>> used, make'ing sure they never grow past 2 gigs....
>>
>> Our higherups(execs) do heavy email traffic, tons of excel
>> documents, tons of word documents, and they claim they need it
>> "all" for "archival purposes", but attitudes like that, to put it it
>> bluntly is the reason we have to keep getting them to delete, and we
>> have to run eseutil every so often.
>>

>> Any input from others, just ideas, on how to deal with this, to make

imaneophyte (3004)

Help needed urgently
Hi, Im trying to check that one row of data satifies a criteria, then if it does it counts an entry in another column adjescent to it. Example: - Column A - Column B Blay - Y Blay - N Blay - Y Chop - N Chop - N High - Y What i would be asking (of a much bigger table) is If Column A = Blaydon and then column B (same row) = Y, then count. In this example I would want 2 returned as the answer. Is this possible? Thanks -- Andy Try one of these... Use cells to hold the criteria: D2 = Blaydon E2 = Y If you're using Excel 2007 or later: =COUNTIFS(A2:A7,...

How to export policies to excel
Hello All, Our organization has an in-house security tool that generates a text file with lists of policies and violations. A VB script reads that text file and populates certain cells on an excel file. There is one column for each db and one row for each policy. All are SQL 2000 and 2005 version. New policies are not covered by the tool. So it needs to be tool+manual scrips, or PBM, maybe? I wonder if it can be done through Policy Based Management. I am not sure how easy to generate a similar excel file out of SQL Server policies. Has anyone used Powershell and/or Report...

Prioritize Internal Email
Is there a way in Exchange 2003 for me to set delivery of internal email to a higher priority than internet mail? -Patrick What specific issue are you trying to address? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FD55EB5-475C-46B6-AB3A-1C697E62DF72@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Exchange 2003 for me to set delivery of internal email > to a > higher priority than internet mail? > -Patrick ...

recieving emails
I get an error message while recieving my emails (send and recieve) and when I hit the button again it starts recieving from the begining again resulting in duplicate messages then it ends in an error like the beginning again. My email is Yahoo mail plus Dorisall wrote: || I get an error message Which is? -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Dorisall <Dorisall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get an error message while recieving my emails (send and recieve) > and when I hit the button again it starts reci...

Can't receive EMail #5

email icon
I have an email in my inbox in windows live mail and the envelope icon has a red or purple arrow pointing to the left. What does this mean? -- xgdude It indicates that you replied to that message. A green arrow pointing right indicates that you forwarded the message. Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 http://download.live.com/wlmail "xgdude" wrote in message news:04BCD8E8-B64A-4385-B601-55095BC34F42@microsoft.com... I have an email in my inbox in windows live mail and the envelope icon has a red or purple arrow pointing to the left. What does this...

some emails not coming through internally
Hello, I have a 3COM NBX phone system. It has the capability of sending an e-mail to a user with the voice message attached. That system is on my 10.1.x.x network. My exchange server is on my 10.3.x.x. network. There's a place in the NBX system to put the name of the SMTP server. I've tried both the email.mydomain.com and the IP address of the server. The messages do not come through. If I change the e-mail address for delivery to an account such as yahoo.com, it comes through no problem. I have a test exchange server at home. If I set it to go to that, goes no where. I ...

email
How can I change the time that it takes for message to shift from BOLD (unread) to PLAIN TEXT (as read) in my inbox. If I open MS OUTLOOK it will change within 30 seconds to PLAIN TEXT from BOLD appearing as read, even if I don't want to read them at that time. Therefore, later, I don't know if I read that one or not. I have seen the time limit change on the setup somewhere, but can't find it now! joe@dixiesteamway.com Outlook does not have this option to mark an email as read when viewing in the Preview pane. Only Outlook Express does. "Joe Dobbins" <joe...

Only new email window?
Is there a way that I could have a shortcut on my desktop that does not open the whole application, but rather ONLY open my new email window? I send out a lot of email, and I also have a lot of other apps running. Please let me know if that is possible. Thank you, Steve Steve F. <sf@flintind.com> wrote: > Is there a way that I could have a shortcut on my desktop that does > not open the whole application, but rather ONLY open my new email > window? I send out a lot of email, and I also have a lot of other > apps running. Create a shortcut whose target is: "%Pr...

Launching URLs from email
URLs in my emails suddenly will no longer launch when clicked. I am using Office/Outlook 2000. Only recent change is the installation of Norton Internet Security, but I think I had ok launches since then. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Send Quote via Email
I have created a quote and would like to send it via email Is this possible without getting too technical! Hi Andrew, (1) In Outlook client using Mail Merge * Open the quote * File-->Format for Customer * Walk through the mail merge steps using "quote.dot" template This template could potentially be modified for more/less data. (2) Download the sample quote report by EdMar from CRM Sandbox The rdl file is at http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm under the Downloads section with title "Quote Sample Report". Download this file and import it to your reports s...

Inbound email being processed as folder under Inbox
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I got a database daemon error, and Entourage forced me to rebuild the database. <br><br>Once the database was rebuilt, I relaunched Entourage and my new messages were processed as folders with a .EML extension under the Inbox. If you click on them, there is no content in the folder. Entourage has also stopped receiving new mail messages entirely. <br><br>While my database was being rebuilt, I accessed my Exchange account via both Webmail and an Outlook client on Window...

Re: Outlook wont send to emails hypered to from the net
No. I installed the Google Bar recently which does have one, but it isnt in use. I was having this problem beforehand anyway. (Google bar = 1 day old, Problem = since I got the PC). Amb "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <dianenws@poremsky.com> wrote in message news:OPXxDqeuDHA.2448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > are you using a popup stopper? > > -- > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours > Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) > > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ > > Search for ans...

incoming email not being automatically tracked
Hello, I have the following: Email router used for both incoming and outgoing email in both the web client and Outlook I've configured the router (correctly as far as I know) per the MS documentation. I've selected to track emails from leads and contacts (the last option) please do not confuse this with the middle option to track emails that are responses from leads and contacts. This last option implies it will track incoming original emails, not just replies an important distinction. With this configuration, I would expect an unsolicited email from a contact to be tracke...

I Need an answer for this Formula
I am using excell 2007 & this formula works {=IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} When i upload this workbook to a 2003 version this formula does not work I get {=_xinfl.IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} or somthing close to this Then in the cell with this formula has a NAME error WHY & HOW could i fix The IFERROR function can only be used in Excel 2007. Try this array formula** : =LOOKUP(1E100,CHOOSE({1,2},0,AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5)))...

Cannot Email from Outlook 2003..no "send" button present
I cannot send letters or attachments of any kind..I tried reinstalling Outlook 2003 didn't solve the problem..Help You have to close your new message and then the send/receive button appears on your inbox screen. Click that and then it will send. ...

Need to show file properties dialog box
Hello I need to show the shell's file properties dialog box. I tried converting old vb6 code into vb.net but it gives me error. Here's my code: Private Structure SHELLEXECUTEINFO Dim cbSize As Long Dim fMask As Long Dim hwnd As Long Dim lpVerb As String Dim lpFile As String Dim lpParameters As String Dim lpDirectory As String Dim nShow As Long Dim hInstApp As Long Dim lpIDList As Long Dim lpClass As String Dim hkeyClass As Long Dim dwHotKey As Long D...

Forward email from Sendmail to Exchange
Hi all, Has anyone successfully used the LUSER_RELAY feature of Sendmail to forward any unknown users to an Exchange server? I have defined LUSER_RELAY as host.mydomain.com, but when an email gets forwarded the domain portion of the email is stripped off and replaced with the value of USER_RELAY. This causes the email to bounce since the email domain is @mydomain.com not host.mydomain.com. I have tried using the FEATURE(preserve_luser_host), but that did not fix the problem. Is there a way to set up an SMTP connector pointing to host.mydomain.com and have the email deliverd to a users mail...