Email naming standards

I'd like to take a survey of email address naming standards and which
ones you use.  I've looking online for a "naming conventions" FAQ but
had very little luck.

At my company, it's currently lastnamefirstinitial@company.com, or
smithj@company.com.  I would like to lobby to change it simply because
it's so out of step with the rest of the world.  The way I see it, when
it's jsmith@company.com there's a logical progression from left to
right.

We are changing the company name (and domain name), so the way I see it
this is the perfect time to do it.

Opinions?

0
syrjalab (4)

<syrjalab@gsilumonics.com> wrote in message

> Opinions?

I like FirstName.LastName the best. If that is the same then
throw in the middle initial.

Outlook Management
http://goffconcepts.com/products/windows/profiler/index.html

0
na1 (222)
6/1/2005 2:26:07 PM
/agree
first.last looks clean and doesn't lend itself to any confusion about where
a name/initial stops and the next one starts (jross vs jacob.ross)
"Jason" <na@na.com> wrote in message

> <syrjalab@gsilumonics.com> wrote in message
>

>> Opinions?
>>

> I like FirstName.LastName the best. If that is the same then
> throw in the middle initial.
>

> Outlook Management
> http://goffconcepts.com/products/windows/profiler/index.html

0
jacobmross (22)
6/3/2005 7:26:38 AM
This is besides a personal opinion pretty much related to your market
position and company size. If for instance you have a 5 person informal
company the best option might just be firstname@company.com. If you have a
1000+ person organisation firstname.lastname@company.com is the best option
simply because it reduces the risk of duplicates.

Personally I never liked to put the lastname first. Other than that I
usually decide by the above.

Outside Email Not Received
When we went home on Monday, we turned off our server due to forecasted bad thunderstorms -- which were indeed as bad as they were predicted. This morning, I powered up the SBS2003 Server, with Exchange Server 2003 SP1 included - and we can get internal email, but not external email. I've looked in the logs, I see nothing there that says there are any backups. I've sent myself several emails, and haven't received any of them. What on earth could be happening? Please help before I personally strangle the one person this allegedly really matters to. Thanks! (I'll prob...

field name or schema name?
When i adjust excel column-names to match CRM 3.0 field names, preparing for bulk-import, should i use the (label) field names in CRM 3.0, or the schema-names for example, if i made a new country field, use Country 2 or New_Country2 thanks Kas use the schema-names -- -Nick "_Kas_" wrote: > When i adjust excel column-names to match CRM 3.0 field names, preparing for > bulk-import, should i use the (label) field names in CRM 3.0, or the > schema-names > > for example, if i made a new country field, use > > Country 2 > > or > > N...

I can send but not receive emails in outlook
I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to Outlook Express which was installed with Microsoft Works I can still access my incoming mail from there Do you receive any errors when trying to receive? "TeeJay" <TeeJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1BA6E6F-2C25-460E-9F4F-8A6EB8C9CA96@microsoft.com... >I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive > them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to >...

Modifying dialog for incoming emails
good morning from germany, how can i customize the dialog which tells me that i have some new incoming email, f.g. name of sende, date and time or some other email related infos. thx patric What version of Outlook? If Outlook 2003, you can customize the rules for displaying an alert from specified individuals. Tell us your version and more detailed information (and IF it can be done in your version) will be forthcoming. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "Patric" <sokrates1973@aol.com> wrote in message ne...

Edit named range reference
Hope you understand my terminology I have a number of named ranges that I use a formula for in the "Refers to" field. The formula is actually larger than the space allowed in this field and so the end of the formula is not visible when I want to edit it. My problem is if I want to edit this field, I cannot move to the end of the formula. The moment I start moving it inserts other cell references. Is there a quick key or function key which allows me to edit this. Hope this makes sense When you select the formula, hit F2, and you can move about the formula at will without corrupt...

Error while Archiving email
I am getting error while trying to archive email from Exchange Mailbox to archive file. Here is the error Error while archiving "Inbox" in store "Mailbox-<user name>". Unknown error I created new archive file and tried to archive I keep getting same error. I tried this from different workstation too. I am administrator on local machine and running Windows 2000 pro with SP4 and Office XP with SP3, my email is on Exchange 2000 server with SP3. Any help on this is greatly appriciated. Thanks, Dinesh ...

Removing attachments from multiple emails
Hi: I searched to get all emails with attachments that are from last year or older. Now I want to select them all and remove the attachments from all of them, but keep the messages. I can do this one email at a time by opening it up, right clicking and choosing "remove", but how do I do this for several emails at once? Is there something in Outlook that will allow me to do this or is there a third party tool? Thanks, Kayda There are many third-party tools to add this functionality to Outlook. = See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP...

Forward multiple emails
I am trying to pull together several emails from multiple sources and forward them out with a new email cover letter. I am trying to avoid forwarding each email separately. I want the emails to arrive together with the new email giving a summary of each. Select all the messages and press Forward. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Hendrix" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3bbf01c48f9d$4aabd870$a301280a...

delivered email coming back undelivered
I am sending out email on using Msoft Outlook and it is getting to the recipient; however, I am getting email messages back from "System Administrator" that the email was undeliverable. Also when I would compose emails and got to my address book some of the folders were not available or seem to have changed locations. At the same time I was having problems opening up appointment windows in my Msoft Calendar program and getting a message that the folder could not be found. When I rebooted this went away. I have done a Norton virus scan but nothing came up. Any ideas? RickyG w...

Receiveing the same email twice ??
when I receive some message the same message is downloaded twice or if the message is already in the inbox, it is downloaded for a second time. I am having this with outlook 2002 & 2003 on different PC's and when I use outlook express on both PC's, I dont get the proplem. Can anyone tell me how to stop this happening, Please, please, please. ...

Populating combox with worksheet names
Hi I'm using the following to populate a combobox on a worksheet with the names of all the worksheets in the workbook:- Dim ws As Integer With frmMenu.cbStartUpWorksheet For ws = 1 To Sheets.Count ..AddItem Sheets(ws).Name Next End With My question is I have one worksheet that is veryhidden and I dont want it to show in the combobox. How do I do this? Cheers Use the .Visible property which list out xlSheetHidden, xlSheetVeryHidden and xlSheetVisible.... Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim ws As Worksheet With frmMenu.cbStartUpWorksheet For Each ws In Wor...

duplicate emails?
I just switched my Outlook Express account to Hotmail and I seem to be getting 2 or duplicates of any emails that are sent to me. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Mark pajosenden(deletethis)@hotmail.com I have found that if I set my OE to NOT OPEN IN THE INBOX the duplication does not occur. You may want to go over to the following site and look further for a solution: http://www.tomsterdam.com/ -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6f8f01c42fb5$2ba22850$a601280a@phx.gbl... I just switched my Outlook Expres...

Unable to reply to received email
Help!! After setting up the services the test works fine sending and receiving. I can send email with no problem. When I try to reply to an email I get the following: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail from <addres> to <address> for 170.215.92.219. Anyone give me help with this one? It all started after my computer went down during a power outage. I reloaded outlook, then because of other problems I relaoded XP. When I imported the data from my old files the problem was still there. Any help would be appreciated. Your ISP may require that you ...

Unable to open Outlook XP Email
I began having problems when trying to open email with attachments in Outlook XP (running Windows XP Pro) about 3 weeks ago. When I try to open email with attachments, my PC will sometimes hang-up, requiring a reboot, even after which the email will not open (known safe source). The frequency of occurrence seems to be going up. Any help on how to fix this problem would be greatly apprecated. Thanks. Glenn Try it again with the virusscanner and virusscanner integration disabled. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Me...

Visio File Summary Dialog Box is showing wrong file name and size
Hi all, I am using Visio 2003 ActiveX Control in my application using VB.NET 2005. I am calling "visCmdFileSummaryInfoDlg" Command to open File Summary Dialog Box. Dialog Box is open successfully but it always showing Template file size instead of open file size in General Tab. The information it shows is: Type: Microsoft Visio Drawing Location: Size :(928 bytes) Based on: Template - ValueStreamMap.vst Can any one let me know about any property or way so that it shows correct file size? Thanks Asif Can we assume that the new drawing has been saved to disk before you call th...

STANDARDIZE gives wrong answer
I have the following formula: =STANDARDIZE(D16,D$56,D$57) when I click on the Function fx it shows the Formula Result as being for example -0.5728 but in the cell it puts -0.2258 I am lost :-) Can someone help. Thanks. On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:44:03 -0500, "Gordon Meyer" <gmeyer3@mail.com> wrote: >I have the following formula: > >=STANDARDIZE(D16,D$56,D$57) > >when I click on the Function fx it shows the Formula Result as being for >example -0.5728 > >but in the cell it puts -0.2258 > >I am lost :-) > >Can someone help. > >Than...

how do i set up outlook using my existing internet email account?
I am trying to set up my existing internet email account with Outlook. It was previously set up, incorrectly. I have no idea what to do. On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:18:29 -0800, Clayton wrote: > I am trying to set up my existing internet email account with Outlook. It was > previously set up, incorrectly. I have no idea what to do. Ask your ISP. They should be able to talk you through. -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ...

HTML emails
Hello, I want to send some HTML emails from Outlook 2003. I created an HTML page, with very clean HTML code and CSS in the <head> to control the formatting. The company logo is held on the website and I have an absolute link to it. Ideally I would like this page to become some stationary, so in the Stationary Picker I selected this HTML file to use as a template. However Outlook overrides my styles with <font> tags and adds other bits of HTML to what was a nice clean piece of code. Is there anyway to stop Outlook doing this? Thanks Vix Vix <user@example.net> wrote:...

Help
The deal: On earthlink webmail, I only receive one of each email. When I "Send/Receive" from Outlook 2000, the Send/Receive window tells me I'm receiving 10 emails, but 30 appear in my inbox. Everything arrives in triplicate or duplicate. Extended headers appear to be the same in all three identical emails. Things I've tried and know: Deleted and then reconfigured my earthlink account many times. There is only one earthlink account. "Leave a copy of messages on server" is unchecked. Turned Earhlink Spamblocker On then Off then On then Off... no change. S...

CRM 3 - User Transfered All Cases to Own Name
We had a user that left the company. Another user transfered all of his cases (resolved / active) to his name. He some how reassigned all the resolved and active cases in the DB to his own name. Is there a transaction table for changes to cases? Or a way that we can roll back the transfers? Unfortunately, we do not have a back up. CRM does not offer a transaction logging sollution out of the box. The SQL database does, but this has to be configured and can only rollback all changes not specific ones. A thing you can try is (using the SDK) retrieve the last activity for each case ...

Using Range names in selecting chart series.
Hi, I have a range named DataCount. This will count the number of data points i have in a column. I would like to use this information when specifying the series range in chart. ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Values = "='System 4'!R2C13:R35C13" In this example I need to substitute R35 with DataCount. What is the correct syntax? Thanks in advance, Cherrs! What kind of variable is DataCount? Is it a named range? A VBA Excel.Range object? A string that contains an address? Does it reference R35 or R35C13? - Jon ------- Jon P...

email addresses #8
Ok, I am a bit confused....... I have exchange and Outlook 2003. I have a user I call support. This is a normal user on the network. In the EMAIL settings of this user (inside of AD/users and computers/ Email address, I have an email address setup that is external to the network. (in other words, it is joe@mydomain.com). It is the only email address listed there. (I deleted all others in my testing). I have unchecked for that user to "automatically update email addresses based on recepient policy" yet, if I open Outlook on any network PC and send an email to support, it goe...

HOW DO I SET UP EMAIL FOR 2 USERS IN SEPERATE VIEWS
can anyone help me set up my OE so that when my husband comes on he only sees his emails and i only see mine? my goal is so he does not have to wade thru my emails as well as his and can view only his emails. Help!? A good reference site is http://www.scicable.com/identities.htm . Hope that helps. James <nikinahnah@bridge-of-love.com> wrote in message news:0d3501c4a648$c8062ac0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > can anyone help me set up my OE so that when my husband > comes on he only sees his emails and i only see mine? > my goal is so he does not have to wade thru my emails as ...

distribution email and crm e-mail router
does anyone knows how to configure the e-mail router in CRM 4.0 to connect to an e-mail distribution list in Exchange? The one way could be : You need to create CRM user and with email and domain logon name specificed for distrubution list account. You would be able to see it in CRM users list when you load the data in router. /Aamir I tried to add the domain logon name specified as distribution list using CRM web application in Settings | Administration | Users | Add User, but it cannot be add. Anymore idea? "Aamir" <whatelseto@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9f3f...

display number as number name
I want to get the number name of the corresponding number i enter. Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html "Kamala Kannan" wrote: > I want to get the number name of the corresponding number i enter. ...