Effectively stoping open relay.

I have a client who started using exchange 2003 few days back.  This client
is having more than 12 subnets starting from 172.27.50.0, 172.16.0.0 to
172.27.0.0 and 10.172.172.0 & 10.172.173.0 subnets in different location in
town which are conneted by DSL. This users are connecting to the Exchange
server 172.16.5.25.
Most of these users are POP3 users.
I have 2 SMTP Virtual Server running.  Default SMTP Virtual server
172.16.5.25 and the second for Externel.
In the Mail connector I have added only the external as the local bridgehead
server.
In the relay properties of the internal I have selected "All except the list
below"
 and "Allow all computer which successfully authenticate to relay,
regardless of the list below" and left the list empty.  Is this a valid
option to stop open relay?

On the Internet SMTP Virtual server, In the relay properties of the internal
I have selected "All except the list below"  and "Allow all computer which
successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list below" and left
the list empty.
I guess this is a dangerous setting.  If I add the above 10-12 subnets to
the list,  None of the users (be it POP3,SMTP) are able to relay the message
and endup with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for..."

What is a valid configuration in this situation?.
any help is appreciated.
0
Themask (2)

Is there a reason why you need anything other than authenticated relaying
which is enabled by default? You have a convoluted setup perhaps you could
explain more about the configuration so we can give you better advice.

Nue

"Themask" <Themask@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client who started using exchange 2003 few days back.  This client
> is having more than 12 subnets starting from 172.27.50.0, 172.16.0.0 to
> 172.27.0.0 and 10.172.172.0 & 10.172.173.0 subnets in different location
> in
> town which are conneted by DSL. This users are connecting to the Exchange
> server 172.16.5.25.
> Most of these users are POP3 users.
> I have 2 SMTP Virtual Server running.  Default SMTP Virtual server
> 172.16.5.25 and the second for Externel.
> In the Mail connector I have added only the external as the local
> bridgehead
> server.
> In the relay properties of the internal I have selected "All except the
> list
> below"
> and "Allow all computer which successfully authenticate to relay,
> regardless of the list below" and left the list empty.  Is this a valid
> option to stop open relay?
>
> On the Internet SMTP Virtual server, In the relay properties of the
> internal
> I have selected "All except the list below"  and "Allow all computer which
> successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list below" and left
> the list empty.
> I guess this is a dangerous setting.  If I add the above 10-12 subnets to
> the list,  None of the users (be it POP3,SMTP) are able to relay the
> message
> and endup with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for..."
>
> What is a valid configuration in this situation?.
> any help is appreciated.

0
imaneophyte (3004)
5/16/2006 2:03:23 PM
Hi,
I am new to exchange.  Infact, this is my first exchange
installation/migration.  For some reason while using " authenticated relaying
" users are not able send mail.  do i have to modify the configuration in
outlook/outliik express
Regards

"Nuevo" wrote:

> Is there a reason why you need anything other than authenticated relaying
> which is enabled by default? You have a convoluted setup perhaps you could
> explain more about the configuration so we can give you better advice.
>
> Nue
>

> "Themask" <Themask@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a client who started using exchange 2003 few days back.  This client
> > is having more than 12 subnets starting from 172.27.50.0, 172.16.0.0 to
> > 172.27.0.0 and 10.172.172.0 & 10.172.173.0 subnets in different location
> > in
> > town which are conneted by DSL. This users are connecting to the Exchange
> > server 172.16.5.25.
> > Most of these users are POP3 users.
> > I have 2 SMTP Virtual Server running.  Default SMTP Virtual server
> > 172.16.5.25 and the second for Externel.
> > In the Mail connector I have added only the external as the local
> > bridgehead
> > server.
> > In the relay properties of the internal I have selected "All except the
> > list
> > below"
> > and "Allow all computer which successfully authenticate to relay,
> > regardless of the list below" and left the list empty.  Is this a valid
> > option to stop open relay?
> >
> > On the Internet SMTP Virtual server, In the relay properties of the
> > internal
> > I have selected "All except the list below"  and "Allow all computer which
> > successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list below" and left
> > the list empty.
> > I guess this is a dangerous setting.  If I add the above 10-12 subnets to
> > the list,  None of the users (be it POP3,SMTP) are able to relay the
> > message
> > and endup with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for..."
> >
> > What is a valid configuration in this situation?.
> > any help is appreciated.

0
Themask (2)

Opening attachments #15
Hi Has any body else experienced the problem whereby when I receive an attachment (say excel s/sheet) and click on it, excel loads but does not show the file only a blank s/sheet. But if i save the attachment and load excel maually I can open the file no problem. It is not an excel problem as the same happens on a number of other different files. Regards Brian ...

Open Form filtered
Open Form filtered Using Access =9203=85 I am attempting to open a form (from another) filtered. I have this code: Dim strDocName As String strDocName =3D "frm1=94 Dim strCriteria As String strCriteria =3D "[Key] =3D " & Q & Replace(Me.Key, Q, QQ) & Q DoCmd.OpenForm strDocName, , , strCriteria DoCmd.Close acForm, me.name Debug.Print (strCriteria) I cannot get frm1 to open with the filtered record=85it (the form) displays all records. The code in the immediate window looks right: [Key] =3D =935042=94 Do I need to adjust the properties of ...

errors upon opening Outlook
My computer was infected with the Lovsan worm. I have removed the worm, but now when I try to open my Outlook mail I get an error that says: Database Engine Exception Category: 43 Code: 39 C:\Corel\Suite8\Shared\Address\Database\USER.DB After I close this error I get another one that says: Cannot open address book database in C"\Corel\Suite8 \Shared\Address Database. Any ideas on how to rid myself of these messages? You removed the worm, but did you also delete the register entries it applied? If you used a tool from eg Symantec, it should have corrected the entri...

Open Other User's Calendar
I do know how to open another users folder (given that the permissions are correct) the problem is getting it to open when Outlook is opened everytime without having to go through the FILE/OPEN/OPEN OTHER USER FOLDER option. I need the Other Users Calendar to be in my Navigation Pane for the Folder List all the time. I have also added the User's mailbox through the Email Accounts option. We are running Exchange 2000 and when I select the Exchange account then go to "Change" and the Advanced Options to add the mailbox, It will add the mailbox to the Folder List but it wi...

Shortcut icons viewed while open folder
Hi I am always trying to save many extra steps within my job. Here at work we have many different drives and folders upon sub-folders. When I do a File, Open within Excel, or even Word, on the left side of the Box it has some icons listed. Ie. My Documents History Desktop Favorites My Network Places My question is: How can you change those icons. For example. Instead of the My Documents going to "My Documents folder" I would like it to go to a different folder. 1)How do you change that? Can this be done. 2)Can you rename the "My Documents" to say something el...

Outlook Express could not open this folder
When I try to open Outlook Express, my e-mail fails to appear and the following message appears: Folder could not be displayed - Outlook Express could not open this folder. Possible causes are: Low disk space. low memory. I then have to reboot and then the program will open. Does anyone know whats happening? Thanks! look for solutions at www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE/index.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://...

opening excel from intranet ie6.0
I have a number of excel files I wish to share between multiple users. I can give them access to these files via our Intranet using Internet Explorer 6.0. My problem is that the excel files open up inside the browser, not in excel. I want user to click on the file in the Intranet IE6.0 and for the file to open in the Excel application (Excel 2000). Any ideas / help welcome. Thanks Paddy ...

URL open CRM
I have installed CRM 1.2 on Small Business Server 2003. When I type http://servername, I get the "Welcome" page for SBS 2003. How do I get to the CRM web page to start the application? Thanks. Try clearing browser cache...? "Ed H" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15a101c3f3ff$7972e9d0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > I have installed CRM 1.2 on Small Business Server 2003. > When I type http://servername, I get the "Welcome" page > for SBS 2003. How do I get to the CRM web page to start > the application? > Thanks. ...

Rules Wizard does not open.
Hello all, I have a user that when he clicks the organize button and then when that expands out he trys to click the Rules Wizard button and nothing happens. Also Rules Wizard does not show up in the Tools menu. He is using Outlook 2002 SP-1. Does anyone have any clues? Thanks, Jay ...

opening links in InBox messages ... ?
I'm not 100% sure but I think this issue started recently. If I click on a link in a message (InBox, for example) I receive the following message - The operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your System Administrator. I am forced to copy and paste that link in the address bar of IE7. Suggestions? Outlook 2007 (up to date) under Vista Home Premium \ SP1 - also up to date. Thanks, DH reset web settings in IE. http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips...

Outlook 2007
One of my users has a weird issue. Using Outlook 2007, when she tries to open a .tif attachment it tries to open in Word, which won't open the file. Save it to her computer and Picture and Fax viewer opens the tif. I don't see anywhere in Outlook where you would specify that. Suggestions? Steve Steve Gould <steve.gould(at)apawood.org> wrote: > One of my users has a weird issue. Using Outlook 2007, when she tries > to open a .tif attachment it tries to open in Word, which won't open > the file. Save it to her computer and Picture and Fax viewer opens > th...

Dexterity Runtime: You do not have permissions to open this file
So, I have a users that is getting: "Dexterity Runtime: You do not have permissions to open this file" I checked and I ensured that she has the same permissions on the network as other users and she can get to all the files in the GP directory on the server. I had the admin reset her password in Great Plains and that didn't work either. I had one of the other users log into her computer and it worked fine too. Any Clues. Is this happening when first logging into GP? If so, it's typically a Windows permission error on the reports.dic (usually this happens when it...

Personal.xls does not open
Hello: For some reason, when I start Excel, the file personal.xls does not open anymore, not even hidden. I want to be able to save macros to it, but it does not list that as an option anymore. The file that opens is Book1. Personal.xls is in the xlstart directory. Thanks. David It is possible that Excel encountered a problem with the file. Go to the Help menu, choose About Excel, and click the Disabled Items button. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "C. David Rossen" <cdrossen@cdrmarketing.com> wrote ...

Exel 2002 freezes when opening sheet
Hi Have office XP, windows XP pro, latest service packs. When opening a word or exel document from the file/Open menu and select previous documents opened at the bottom of the menu the first time it takes forever and freezes the machine while waiting, after that it will open OK. Regards Grant ...

Problem Opening Notebooks on New Server
I have a small office and we all store and use notebooks on our server. We moved all of our data to a new server yesterday, and now when we try to open the notebooks we get a message that says: "OneNote needs a password to sync some of your notebooks", and we are unable to open the notebooks. Interestingly, if we open the notebook through a mapped drive to the location, we get the error. But, if we navigate directly to the notebook through the network, it will open with no error. We are having no other problems with this mapped drive. Thanks! ...

Cash Flow won't open
I'm using Money 2002 and just today when I click on the cash flow button, it won't go to that page; it just stays on whatever page I'm on at that time. Any suggestions? See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q67. "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4cfb01c3e47a$933c2000$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I'm using Money 2002 and just today when I click on the > cash flow button, it won't go to that page; it just stays > on whatever page I'm on at that time. Any suggestions? ...

Unable to open Exchange Systems Manager
When I double-click on the ESM on the desktop. I get the following error message. Error Message 1: The system cannot find the file specified Facility: Win32 ID no: c007002 Exchange System Manager Error Message 2: (This message appears after clicking on OK from message 1) Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! Program: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. Running Exchange 2003 with Windows 2003 "=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBDaHVuZw==?=" <MikeChung@discussions.m...

OWA issue certain emails dont open
Win2k / Exch2k / OWA In looking into a problem with certain emails not opening I found it was down to the IISlockdown tool, in particular the Urlscan.ini file. The following section of urlscan.ini disables the ability to view emails in OWA that contain these characters in the subject line:- [DenyUrlSequences] ... ; Don't allow directory traversals ../ ; Don't allow trailing dot on a directory name \ ; Don't allow backslashes in URL % ; Don't allow escaping after normalization & ; Don't allow multiple CGI processes to run on a single request the urlscan.ini...

Not able to open outlook
Pleas Help! My Microsoft Outlook is not able to open. When I double click on it a box pops up saying to choose the profile. I click ok on the default "MS Exchange Settings". It then states "Unable to open your default e- mail folders. Outlook could not start because a location to send and receive mail could not be found. To add a location, such as a personal folder file, double-click the Mail icon in Windows Control Panel." I click ok and then it says "Would you like to open your default File system folder instead?" I have tried to reinstall the pr...

Unable to open excel file #2
Hi. I have problem openning an excel file from windows explorer or from my desktop. However, when I open the excel program and open a file manually(File-Open----) everything works fine. I get an error message that the file could not be located. I noticed that it adds .xls to every word separated by space. For example: My file is in C:/Shared/Folder/test.xls, it tries to open: C:/Shared.xls then Folder.xls then test.xls Please help. Thanks. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi! I think the steps below will solve this problem: 1. Exit Excel 2. From the Startmenu, cli...

Form does not remain sorted alphabetically when re-opened
I'd like to know why my Form does not remain or open in alpha order. I would sort and save it but when I re-open, data is in random order. I've tried to do this with the table thinking it would help. Does anyone have an answer? Thx Sort it in the query that you use as source for the form. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "flygal5" wrote: > I'd like to know why my Form does not remain or open in alpha order. I would > sort and save it but when I re-open, data is in random order. I've tried to > do this with the table thinking it woul...

Opening Outlook #2
I am having trouble with this situation. I am a teacher and normally I can open my school e-mail from home (outlook). I go to our district's homepage, click on mail, and normally after verifying my username and password, it opens right up! I've been doing this for 2 years now. BUT...recently I am getting a Microsoft error message and an error report is sent, and I cannot open my e-mail! This is horrible for me! I have no idea why this is happening all of a sudden or how to correct it! if anyone can help or knows of someone who can, please let me know! From what I unde...

Control of exit from a Form opened within a subroutine
A DoCmd.OpenForm statement occurs part way down my Access 2000 subroutine "Prcs". The opened form presents the user with some screen info from which he/she must decide which of the two command buttons "Continue" and "Quit" should be clicked. "Quit" sends execution control elsewhere while "Continue" is designed to continue processing within Prcs. Sub Prcs tested vb code ' Includes evaluation of "strCrit" DoCmd.OpenForm "frmShowinfo", , , strCrit more tested vb code end sub I've not found a way to stop contr...

Sr C++ Developer Opening in Baton Rouge, LA
SR C++ DEVELOPER POSITION IN BATON ROUGE, LA Please see the full details below: The company offers a comprehensive line of software solutions for the home health industry. Embarking on its sixteenth year of exclusive service to home care, we are a market leader in information management systems. Our applications cover the gamut from intake and scheduling, through point-of-care and billing. In addition, the Financial Services Division of the company offers unique products for advanced financial analysis and management of home care cash flow. This person will be responsible for ...

Cannot open multiple excel files by clicking on new files
I cannot open multiple excel files by double-clicking on another excel file when i've already got one excel file open. The only way I can do that is to open a file within excel. This is ridiculously frustrating especially when I don't know exactly where the file is and need to look in various folders to find it. Once I've found it, I can't simply click on it, but need to go back to excel and open it from within excel. Excel 2000 never had this problem. It must be an XP thing. Please advise! ...