E-mail stuck in Inbox, file in use, backup fails

I have a reoccuring problem that is driving me nuts.  I have Small Business
Server 2003 with Exchange set up.  A user keeps getting a specific e-mail in
her inbox in the mail store that kills the Veritas backup.

The e-mail never makes it to the Outlook 2003 client. If you use OWA, the
e-mail shows up there but it will not open.  The page not found error is
HTTP 500 server error.

If you look at the log in Veritas, it says 'file in use' and 'access
denied'.  On the weekend I rebooted the server remotely and then permanently
deleted the e-mail.  The backup completed successfully, however the
offendinng e-mail is back.

I am running Symantec Corporate 9.1 GFI MailEssentials 11.  The Veritas site
is no use because this is not a permissions issue.  Can anyone offer any
suggestions?  Permanently deleting the e-mail, then restarting all the
Exchnage services does not work.

TIA

"Rob_W" wrote:

> I have a reoccuring problem that is driving me nuts.  I have Small Business
> Server 2003 with Exchange set up.  A user keeps getting a specific e-mail in
> her inbox in the mail store that kills the Veritas backup.
>
> The e-mail never makes it to the Outlook 2003 client. If you use OWA, the
> e-mail shows up there but it will not open.  The page not found error is
> HTTP 500 server error.
>
> If you look at the log in Veritas, it says 'file in use' and 'access
> denied'.  On the weekend I rebooted the server remotely and then permanently
> deleted the e-mail.  The backup completed successfully, however the
> offendinng e-mail is back.
>
> I am running Symantec Corporate 9.1 GFI MailEssentials 11.  The Veritas site
> is no use because this is not a permissions issue.  Can anyone offer any
> suggestions?  Permanently deleting the e-mail, then restarting all the
> Exchnage services does not work.

Have you tried *not* selecting that particular individual email in Veritas?
Or do you just back up the whole information store and not individual
mailboxes?

Exchange offline defrag?  Sounds like possibly a corrupt database, which an
offline defrag should fix.

I have tried just the information store and just the user's mailboxes, but
never both.  It is important that the user's mailbox be backed up so
unchecking that mailbox to complete the backup is not a solution, just a
temp fix.

"Rob_Wal" wrote:

> I have tried just the information store and just the user's mailboxes, but
> never both.  It is important that the user's mailbox be backed up so
> unchecking that mailbox to complete the backup is not a solution, just a
> temp fix.

You can drill down into the mailbox, "Top of Information Store" and then
into "Inbox" or any other folder and unselect single messages to *not* backup
;)

But only when you're doing a mailbox level backup, not Information Store
backups.  Never try to backup both at the same time.

> "Rob_W" <r042wal_donotspam_me_@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a reoccuring problem that is driving me nuts.  I have Small Business
> >Server 2003 with Exchange set up.  A user keeps getting a specific e-mail
> >in her inbox in the mail store that kills the Veritas backup.
> >
> > The e-mail never makes it to the Outlook 2003 client. If you use OWA, the
> > e-mail shows up there but it will not open.  The page not found error is
> > HTTP 500 server error.
> >
> > If you look at the log in Veritas, it says 'file in use' and 'access
> > denied'.  On the weekend I rebooted the server remotely and then
> > permanently deleted the e-mail.  The backup completed successfully,
> > however the offendinng e-mail is back.
> >
> > I am running Symantec Corporate 9.1 GFI MailEssentials 11.  The Veritas
> > site is no use because this is not a permissions issue.  Can anyone offer
> > any suggestions?  Permanently deleting the e-mail, then restarting all the
> > Exchnage services does not work.
> >
> > TIA

I got rid of the offending e-mails and now a new one has poped up and
stopped the job.  They are in the HEADER folder that GFI creates.  This is
too much!  Only this one workstation.

"Brian Edwards" <BrianEdwards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Rob_Wal" wrote:
>
>> I have tried just the information store and just the user's mailboxes,
>> but
>> never both.  It is important that the user's mailbox be backed up so
>> unchecking that mailbox to complete the backup is not a solution, just a
>> temp fix.
>
> You can drill down into the mailbox, "Top of Information Store" and then
> into "Inbox" or any other folder and unselect single messages to *not*
> backup
> ;)
>
> But only when you're doing a mailbox level backup, not Information Store
> backups.  Never try to backup both at the same time.
>

>> "Rob_W" <r042wal_donotspam_me_@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a reoccuring problem that is driving me nuts.  I have Small
>> >Business
>> >Server 2003 with Exchange set up.  A user keeps getting a specific
>> >e-mail
>> >in her inbox in the mail store that kills the Veritas backup.
>> >
>> > The e-mail never makes it to the Outlook 2003 client. If you use OWA,
>> > the
>> > e-mail shows up there but it will not open.  The page not found error
>> > is
>> > HTTP 500 server error.
>> >
>> > If you look at the log in Veritas, it says 'file in use' and 'access
>> > denied'.  On the weekend I rebooted the server remotely and then
>> > permanently deleted the e-mail.  The backup completed successfully,
>> > however the offendinng e-mail is back.
>> >
>> > I am running Symantec Corporate 9.1 GFI MailEssentials 11.  The Veritas
>> > site is no use because this is not a permissions issue.  Can anyone
>> > offer
>> > any suggestions?  Permanently deleting the e-mail, then restarting all
>> > the
>> > Exchnage services does not work.
>> >
>> > TIA

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Problem with "Use Unicode Format when saving messages"
In outlook we have option to set "use Unicode format when saving messages"(outlook>tools>options>other >Advanced options),even though option is enabled, when ever I try "save as" the email into folder, it is showing Html format by default.However can drop down the list and select the Unicode format. But I need Unicode message format to be shown by default if I need to "save as" any email. Any Suggestion ? Regards, Sam That is not possible and that is not what this option controls. The option controls whether the default safe fo...

Linking files 2 ways

File size #11

find action on log file

Maximum file sizes

using the journal on outlook

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

outlook 2007 e-mail

OE autodelete OLD mail

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

OWA: Cannot send mail / mail goes to draft folder
Hello, I have the same problem how SC. I have an OWA 2003 and if I sent a mail the mail goes every in the draft folder. I can't send it. Please help me! Greetings Christof ...