during install, E2007, Error Code is 1603 (exchangeserver.msi) failed

Installing E2007 on a server to migrate from E2003, the BPA shows no
issues, we get no warnings in the setup, but, when it starts to COPY
FILES we get the following:

Installing product C:\Exchange 2007\exchangeserver.msi failed. Fatal
error during installation. Error code is 1603. Last error reported by
the MSI package is 'Module D:\Exchange\Bin\ExSMime.dll failed to
register.  HRESULT -2147010895.  Contact your support personnel.'.

I've copied the media to the C drive (we're installing E2007 on the "D"
drive array, and run it from C or the CD/DVD, but I get this error
regardless.

Any ideas?

Trust yourself.
Leythos

In article <MPG.258cc19faebd9d7498a015@us.news.astraweb.com>,
spam999free@rrohio.com says...

> Installing E2007 on a server to migrate from E2003, the BPA shows no
> issues, we get no warnings in the setup, but, when it starts to COPY
> FILES we get the following:
>
> Installing product C:\Exchange 2007\exchangeserver.msi failed. Fatal
> error during installation. Error code is 1603. Last error reported by
> the MSI package is 'Module D:\Exchange\Bin\ExSMime.dll failed to
> register.  HRESULT -2147010895.  Contact your support personnel.'.
>
> I've copied the media to the C drive (we're installing E2007 on the "D"
> drive array, and run it from C or the CD/DVD, but I get this error
> regardless.
>
> Any ideas?

There are days when I really hate Microsofts failure to provide good
migration/upgrade paths.

I called MS and learned that Exchange 2007 (any SP level) is not
supported on Win 2008 R2. Now, we did all our testing on a Server 2008
standard Non-R2 because we had not received the new servers yet,
everything worked perfectly. So, new Dell 710 servers and 2008 R2
installed on them, boom, E2007 is not supported at all.

So, we have two choices - downgrade to Win Server 2008 non-R2 or Upgrade
to Exchange 2010 (which we've not even started to test yet).

Thanks MS, you really screwed the pooch on this one.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
12/12/2009 12:38:20 PM
So you have to reinstall the operating system.  That's an awfully small
thing to be whining about.  Exchange 2007 came out well before Windows
Server 2008 R2, so you shouldn't expect it to run on it.  Why not deploy
Exchange 2010?  It runs fine on 2008 R2.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

"Leythos" <spam999free@rrohio.com> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.258cc19faebd9d7498a015@us.news.astraweb.com>,
> spam999free@rrohio.com says...
>>
>> Installing E2007 on a server to migrate from E2003, the BPA shows no
>> issues, we get no warnings in the setup, but, when it starts to COPY
>> FILES we get the following:
>>
>> Installing product C:\Exchange 2007\exchangeserver.msi failed. Fatal
>> error during installation. Error code is 1603. Last error reported by
>> the MSI package is 'Module D:\Exchange\Bin\ExSMime.dll failed to
>> register.  HRESULT -2147010895.  Contact your support personnel.'.
>>
>> I've copied the media to the C drive (we're installing E2007 on the "D"
>> drive array, and run it from C or the CD/DVD, but I get this error
>> regardless.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> There are days when I really hate Microsofts failure to provide good
> migration/upgrade paths.
>
> I called MS and learned that Exchange 2007 (any SP level) is not
> supported on Win 2008 R2. Now, we did all our testing on a Server 2008
> standard Non-R2 because we had not received the new servers yet,
> everything worked perfectly. So, new Dell 710 servers and 2008 R2
> installed on them, boom, E2007 is not supported at all.
>
> So, we have two choices - downgrade to Win Server 2008 non-R2 or Upgrade
> to Exchange 2010 (which we've not even started to test yet).
>
> Thanks MS, you really screwed the pooch on this one.
>
> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Ed
12/13/2009 1:27:45 AM
In article <Ofaj1N5eKHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, curspice@nospam.net
says...
> So you have to reinstall the operating system.  That's an awfully small
> thing to be whining about.  Exchange 2007 came out well before Windows
> Server 2008 R2, so you shouldn't expect it to run on it.  Why not deploy
> Exchange 2010?  It runs fine on 2008 R2.

LOL, you're kidding, right?

2010 has not been out long enough to move into a production environment,
at least not any production environment that I want to bet my
job/clients on.

As for complaining about E2007 not running on 2008 R2, since it ran
perfectly on 2008 non-R2, I would have expected it to run on R2 also.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
12/13/2009 12:14:39 PM
But Windows 2008 R2 has been out long enough?  Okay, just how much time
after RTM must expire before a product is production-worthy in your mind?
Windows 2008 R2's RTM date was 22 July 2009, and Exchange 2010's RTM date
was 9 October 2009.  So those two and a half months make all the difference?
(Note that Exchange 2007's RTM date was 30 November 2006, almost three years
before Windows 2008 R2.  How dare Microsoft not plan for R2 in Exchange
2007!)

Your expectations would have been more reasonable had you taken the very
basic step of reading the release notes and familiarizing yourself with the
products you were planning to install before buying anything.  Had you done
that, you wouldn't have had anything to whine about.  I take that back.  I'm
sure you'd have found something else to whine about.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

> In article <Ofaj1N5eKHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, curspice@nospam.net
> says...
>> So you have to reinstall the operating system.  That's an awfully small
>> thing to be whining about.  Exchange 2007 came out well before Windows
>> Server 2008 R2, so you shouldn't expect it to run on it.  Why not deploy
>> Exchange 2010?  It runs fine on 2008 R2.
>>

> LOL, you're kidding, right?
>
> 2010 has not been out long enough to move into a production environment,
> at least not any production environment that I want to bet my
> job/clients on.
>
> As for complaining about E2007 not running on 2008 R2, since it ran
> perfectly on 2008 non-R2, I would have expected it to run on R2 also.
>
> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Ed
12/13/2009 4:19:35 PM
In article <#2tSLABfKHA.2164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, curspice@nospam.net
says...
> But Windows 2008 R2 has been out long enough?  Okay, just how much time
> after RTM must expire before a product is production-worthy in your mind?
> Windows 2008 R2's RTM date was 22 July 2009, and Exchange 2010's RTM date
> was 9 October 2009.  So those two and a half months make all the difference?
> (Note that Exchange 2007's RTM date was 30 November 2006, almost three years
> before Windows 2008 R2.  How dare Microsoft not plan for R2 in Exchange
> 2007!)
>
> Your expectations would have been more reasonable had you taken the very
> basic step of reading the release notes and familiarizing yourself with the
> products you were planning to install before buying anything.  Had you done
> that, you wouldn't have had anything to whine about.  I take that back.  I'm
> sure you'd have found something else to whine about.

In an exacting and 100% specific detail sense you are completely
correct, it was stupid of me to expect Win 2008 R2 to support any
applications that worked perfectly on Win 2008 non-R2.

I stand by my 'opinion' that expecting Win 2008 R2 to support MS SERVER
APPS that were supported on Win 2008 non-R2 is a reasonable expectation.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
12/13/2009 6:45:45 PM
Go away and troll some other forum.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

> In article <#2tSLABfKHA.2164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, curspice@nospam.net
> says...
>> But Windows 2008 R2 has been out long enough?  Okay, just how much time
>> after RTM must expire before a product is production-worthy in your mind?
>> Windows 2008 R2's RTM date was 22 July 2009, and Exchange 2010's RTM date
>> was 9 October 2009.  So those two and a half months make all the
>> difference?
>> (Note that Exchange 2007's RTM date was 30 November 2006, almost three
>> years
>> before Windows 2008 R2.  How dare Microsoft not plan for R2 in Exchange
>> 2007!)
>>
>> Your expectations would have been more reasonable had you taken the very
>> basic step of reading the release notes and familiarizing yourself with
>> the
>> products you were planning to install before buying anything.  Had you
>> done
>> that, you wouldn't have had anything to whine about.  I take that back.
>> I'm
>> sure you'd have found something else to whine about.
>>

> In an exacting and 100% specific detail sense you are completely
> correct, it was stupid of me to expect Win 2008 R2 to support any
> applications that worked perfectly on Win 2008 non-R2.
>
> I stand by my 'opinion' that expecting Win 2008 R2 to support MS SERVER
> APPS that were supported on Win 2008 non-R2 is a reasonable expectation.
>
> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Ed
12/13/2009 6:50:46 PM
In article <uDPxpUCfKHA.1596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, curspice@nospam.net
says...
> Go away and troll some other forum.

Ed, if you check, I've been in Usenet since 84 and I'm not anything
close to a troll.

Being an MVP you don't have to like my Opinion, but you should act a
little better when you're representing the MVP community.

The simple fact is that I expect Win 2008 non-R2 and Win 2008 R2 to
support the SAME MS products provided by MS.

Trust yourself.
Leythos

Errors saving to network drive

Re-install Outlook 2002

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

Office installation and Windows 7

Error loading XML into DataSet

SQL Server Connection Failed
Hi everybody, this is my scenario: 1. Windows Server 2008 2. WSS 3.0 + MOSS 2007 3. SQL Server 2008. i'm having this problem: "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: An error occurred while evaluating the password. [CLIENT: 72.55.191.137]". in this momment i can't see any application from sharepoint. somebody knows how can i do? i don't change the sa password. i don't change anything in the sharepoint configuration. since two days ago i'm having this problem. pls, is very urgent, because i have to deliver this server the next monday to the...

Run time error 5 : HQClient

LNK2001 and LNK2019 errors with template class
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01C695ED.3958DA70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a smart pointer class that uses template functions that works = fine under VC6 but it not linking under VS2005. 1>TestGridToolkitView.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol = "void __cdecl PrismGCSmartPointer(class CPrismSmartPointer<class = CDialog> &)" = (?PrismGCSmartPointer@@YAXAAV?$CPrismSmartPointer@VCDialog@@@@@Z) = referenced in function "protected: __...

delivery failure error
"The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to" then says user unknown, even though other comupters don't have that problem. I get this error for a few clients, yet other clients can email the same address. I have Windows small business server 2000, I am pretty sure everything has updated patches. I know i security updates automatically. My clients are an updated Windows XP SR 1 with Office 2003(outlook) SR1. ...

on Writexml error
(Type your message here) Hi all, I have a XML file as a datasource. I read that file using dataset.readxml.Then in that dataset I make some changes. Now I want to write that changed dataset by overwriting the file that was created initially. I someone please tell me how to do it. -------------------------------- From: ratnesh gupta ----------------------- Posted by a user from .NET 247 (http://www.dotnet247.com/) <Id>sCyOfoucUUyYsxAsNxg9AA==</Id> ...

Excel error 1706

Error with Bold
What's wrong? With Worksheets("Recent") Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 2)).Font.FontStyle = "Bold" End with Take a look at the activesheet. I bet that range is bolded. But if you want Recent to be the sheet with the change, add a couple of dots. With Worksheets("Recent") .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(1, 2)).Font.FontStyle = "Bold" End With Without those dots, the range refers to the activesheet (if the code is in a general module). crapit wrote: > > What's wrong? > With Worksheets("Recent") > Range(Cells(1...

Oulook 2003 dial up sync errors
we are using outlook 2003 will all current updates insatlled and are using cashed exchange mode. our operating system is windows 2000 SP4 with all the current updates as well. when the user connects and hits f9 to sync we get the following error in the sync log (i have run detect and repair and removed and recreated the users outlook profile) any suggestions??: 18:57:44 Synchronizer Version 11.0.5604 18:57:44 Could not connect to public folder server. 18:57:44 [8004011D-526-80040115-0] 18:57:44 The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are networ...

Error loading outlook 2003
Hey Guys need a little help I'm running office 2003 with outlook, I'm using my own exchange server, everytime I load up outlook on one of my workstations it loads up fine until I hit the inbox, once I do that Outlook closes down, I check in the event view and got this error message: "The MOF file created for the outlook service could not be loaded. The error code returned by the MOF Complier is contained in the Record Data. Before the performance counters of this service can be collected by WMI the MOF file will need to be loaded manually." Anyone know a fix inste...

Rule Wizard: "Rules In Error"
I have a blackberry, and I have my outlook forwarding emails to it, but about once a day, I get a message that says "Rules in Error: Error in Rule Execution" and it won't forward any emails after that. I only have one single rule, so it's not a rule conflict. Does anyone know the deal? This is extremely frustrating as sometimes I'll be out of the office during the weekend or at night and won't receive any message for hours on my blackberry, only to find out later that this "Rules in Error" dialog box popped up and it won't forward emails. It see...

Install that important pack from the Microsoft Corp.
--xzkkhdmcbxymiaud Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vaccmkjzdr"; type="multipart/alternative" --vaccmkjzdr Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ggmepcujya" --ggmepcujya Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vulnera...

Install ActiveX on Windows XP / IE8
Hi, I created a non-admin installation package to take advantage of the new IE8 features to deploy my ActiveX control. It works perfectly on Windows Vista+ but not on Windows XP (the yellow bar is never displayed). Here is the content of my INF file: [version] signature="$CHICAGO$" AdvancedINF=2.0 [Add.Code] DbCtrlEx.ocx=DbCtrlEx.ocx [Deployment] InstallScope=user [DbCtrlEx.ocx] file-win32-x86=thiscab clsid={97012969-FEFB-4F8F-A03C-67F83D139E8F} RegisterServer=yes FileVersion=1,0,0,1 RedirectToHKCU=yes If I remove the Deployment section it works...

Error #5
I've tried to save my transaction data to my desktop. However, each time I try this I get the error "Error reading or writing file "." " Could someone tell me what's going on? ...

Outlook error message
Unable to expand the folder. The rest of folders could not be opened. There are no additional Microsoft Exchange client licenses available. Contact your adminstrator to obtain a client license to use Microsoft Exchange This is the error message that our clients are receiving when attempting to open outlook version 2000 or above to Exchange Server 5.5 SP3 server. We do have the available licenses and have already set them up in license manager on the server and then license logging service is started. We keep having to stop and start the License Logging Service and then they can get in fi...

XML Serialization Error of Collection
// Can anyone explain the bizarre XML Serialization behavior seen in the following code. // It seems that a collection can not be XML Serialized if it contains an Add() method // with a single parameter where that parameter is of a type in the System.Data namespace // (or a class derived from something in the System.Data namespace). // Is there any way to prevent this from blowing up? using System; using System.Data; using System.Collections; using System.IO; using System.Xml.Serialization; namespace XMLStub { /// <summary>A simple class that holds a collection of ints.</summary>...

Add a secondary administration group error c1041721
I have added a new administration group for a sub site in Japan and now I am getting the following error: The action could not be completed because the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is unavailable. Operation: Retrieving mount information ID no: c1041721 Exchange Sytem Manger I get this error when I try and drill down to the new admin group to the First Storage Group. I only get this message on machines on my side of the network. If I remote to the mail server in the new site I am able to drill all the way down and see the mailboxes. I can also see our main site informat...

Error: msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows
Dear all, I get error mesage "msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows" when preview report. I'm using Access 2000 and Windows 2000. Thanks. Regards, Vensia ...