Duplicate Public folders

I am struggling to get all my public folders replicated on both of my
servers.

The Status seems to be either "local Modified" or "both modified"

I then discovered that MOST of my public folders viewed when I clicked on
"View System Folders" did not have a listed replica on the other server.

So I added a replica for each System Folder.

Now I seem to have duplicates of some of these folder listed in the Public
folders list of one of my servers.

Can someone tell me where I can find a lits of folders that _should_ be
replicated and which should not?

Many thanks all,

jON

0
jon.rowlan (63)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:54:41 +0100, "Jon Rowlan" <jon.rowlan@sads.com>
wrote:

>I am struggling to get all my public folders replicated on both of my
>servers.
>
>The Status seems to be either "local Modified" or "both modified"
>
>I then discovered that MOST of my public folders viewed when I clicked on
>"View System Folders" did not have a listed replica on the other server.
>
>So I added a replica for each System Folder.
>
>Now I seem to have duplicates of some of these folder listed in the Public
>folders list of one of my servers.
>
>Can someone tell me where I can find a lits of folders that _should_ be
>replicated and which should not?
>
>Many thanks all,
>
>jON

You might want to explain this a little differently. Your server
should show a list of folders consistent with what you've set to
replicate.
Under Folders | relevant PF | Status, you should see the number of
items in each replica. There is a backfill process and if you look at
the links offered by
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-08,GGLR:en&q=backfill+%22Public+Folder%22
you will be able to understand the PF process a little more.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/17/2006 10:25:00 AM
Hi Mark,

Backfill appears to be the method by which replication _can_ take place.

My question was based upon the fact that I discovered the majority of my
"System" public folders did not have a replica in both servers.

For the System Public folders I added a replica where it was missing and now
I have duplicates ... for example "OAB Version 2" appears twice.

Going back to standard user visible Public Folders, the Replication Status
listing shows many folders as "Local Modified" and some with "Both Modified"
although when I check the status in the way that you suggested the majority
of folders are show to be "In Sync"

I still have a few of the normal (non system) PF that show as local modified
when they patently are not.

I have full logging on for replication events and there have been none for
over 3 hours so I am assuming that the Exchange environment believes that
all its folders are no in Sync.

I want to get the PF environment tidied up and believe that by adding
replicas to System Public folders I may have made matters worse.

jON

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:54:41 +0100, "Jon Rowlan" <jon.rowlan@sads.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I am struggling to get all my public folders replicated on both of my
>>servers.
>>
>>The Status seems to be either "local Modified" or "both modified"
>>
>>I then discovered that MOST of my public folders viewed when I clicked on
>>"View System Folders" did not have a listed replica on the other server.
>>
>>So I added a replica for each System Folder.
>>
>>Now I seem to have duplicates of some of these folder listed in the Public
>>folders list of one of my servers.
>>
>>Can someone tell me where I can find a lits of folders that _should_ be
>>replicated and which should not?
>>
>>Many thanks all,
>>
>>jON
>>

> You might want to explain this a little differently. Your server
> should show a list of folders consistent with what you've set to
> replicate.
> Under Folders | relevant PF | Status, you should see the number of
> items in each replica. There is a backfill process and if you look at
> the links offered by
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-08,GGLR:en&q=backfill+%22Public+Folder%22
> you will be able to understand the PF process a little more.

0
jon.rowlan (63)
4/17/2006 11:55:26 AM
If you created anything rather than set a replica then delete what you
did and wait a while. As you saw from the links you'll notice that
backfill takes an age to kick in and sync up.
Once you've undone anything you did manually (apart from click and
ticking for new replicas) then check that you are showing a replica
for what you want. Only do this from Exchange System Manager towards
the bottom of the AG where is says Folders.... This lets you click the
status tab and see item and KB count. Keep an eye on that. If you only
see one server then you need to add a replica. This counts for the
System Folders every bit as for normal user folders.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/17/2006 12:47:13 PM
All I did was to change the view of "Public Folders" to show System Folders
and then added a replica for every listed System Folder as none were set to
hold a second replica

Do I need to have these "system folders" replicated or should there be a
single instance on each site?

jON

> If you created anything rather than set a replica then delete what you
> did and wait a while. As you saw from the links you'll notice that
> backfill takes an age to kick in and sync up.
> Once you've undone anything you did manually (apart from click and
> ticking for new replicas) then check that you are showing a replica
> for what you want. Only do this from Exchange System Manager towards
> the bottom of the AG where is says Folders.... This lets you click the
> status tab and see item and KB count. Keep an eye on that. If you only
> see one server then you need to add a replica. This counts for the
> System Folders every bit as for normal user folders.

0
jon.rowlan (63)
4/17/2006 4:47:16 PM
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:47:16 +0100, "Jon Rowlan" <jon.rowlan@sads.com>
wrote:

>All I did was to change the view of "Public Folders" to show System Folders
>and then added a replica for every listed System Folder as none were set to
>hold a second replica
>
>Do I need to have these "system folders" replicated or should there be a
>single instance on each site?

No, what you've done is fine.
0
mark7219 (5666)

How to Hide Left Panel of Folder Window?
I'm well behind the Windows curve and I'm just now learning to use Windows XP Home. Up to now I've been using Windows 2000 Pro. On my XP desktop I have a shortcut to my music folder which containins my MP3 files. When I double click on the shortcut, a window opens on the desktop displaying the contents of my music folder. This window has a panel along the left side containing items like "File and Folder Tasks" and "Other Places." I can't figure out how to close, hide or otherwise delete this panel. This panel takes up a lot of prec...

Possible to send email directly to a folder?
I know I've seen this done but I cannot remember how to send email to a folder by using its address in the CC: block.... When sending email, how can I also include the "address" of an OL folder in one of my open PSTso it automatically receives a copy of the email (much like Sent Items)? How about to my OL folders in my Exchange server? I have some templates filled with about 90% of what I have to send on a recurring basis, and preconfiguring the folder where I copy these (ffor later reference) would save me some work. I can swear I did this before but cannot find it now. TI...

Adding Contacts Folder as Address Book in Exchange Server
I am trying to add my contacts folder to my address book in Outlook XP and don't see the Tools, Options I used to see in Outlook 2000. How can I add this folder to my address book? Is that an option you can turn on or off for a profile in Exchange Server? Thanks!! -- Remove 'spam' from email address to contact me directly Right click on your Contacts folder, go to properties, outlook address book. Can you tick the box there? If not, go to tools, e-mail accounts, view/change address books, and make sure you have the Outlook Address Book option there. Then try right-clicking...

Excel ask duplicate NAMES when duplicate a worksheets
I have added a NAME called "Above" where point to the cell just above the current cell. The formula is "=INDIRECT("R[-1]C",)" In some workbook, when I duplicate a worksheets, this name will remain silent and work ok. But in some workbooks, when I first duplicate a worksheets, the same name ABOVE will be duplicate and a new local name (belongs to that new worksheet) will be created. If I further duplicate that new worksheets in to a new worksheets, the third worksheets will be warned that a dupicate NAME is existed and ask whether refer to another name or use a ne...

Query to hide duplicate records
I recall that this used to easy in previous versions (Unique values only ??), but in 2007, I can't get this to work at all. I have a table with our companie's job numbers in it. The job numbers show up multiple times because of different phases of the project: ProjNum ProjDescription 3077 Univ. of Vermont/UC/LEED 3077 Univ. of Vermont/University Commons: Building Fee 3077 Univ. of Vermont/University Commons: Excess Professiona... I need to jut have a single listing of each project number, otherwise, I get repeated records in the query that looks at this information (which ...

Activities/Journaling for Public Folder Contacts
I've created a company contacts folder in the Public Folders on Exchange 2k3. I've also created a journal folder in the public folders. I can set the contact folder to search the journal folder when I hit the activities tab, but I can't figure out how to make new journal entries go into the public folder journal instead of my mailbox journal. How do I do this? ...

Public folder issue, "messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
I'm running a SBS2003 domain and just added a public folder and a customized form for entry into the public folder. All of our clients (all XP Pro, Outlook 2003 with all updates) can get to that folder and use the form without any difficulty except for one. On one computer I get the classic "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." error message. I have tried a repair install, no change. I have tried making a new profile, no change. I have tried adding / removing his PST file (currently he's not even using a pst file...

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Duplicates
In the following folders: 1. Sent 2. Inbox 3. Calendar is there a way to eliminate duplicates without going one-by-one & deleting? Thanks for any help.. T Jones ...

Personal Folder Error when opening Outook 2002
When opening Outlook 2002, I receive the message that the Personal folder was not closed properly and needs to be checked. I allow the check to run, and all is fine. But this error message reappears after I close and reopen Outlook. Please Reply. thanks. ...

Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2003
I just upgraded my desktop to Office 2007 - Removing the older Office2000. Our Network is all 2003 Servers & Exchange. My Destop is XP SP3 In OL2007 I cannot see/find any of the exisitng public shared calendars that I could see/access in OL2000. I can see them when I'm in Webmail and desktops still running Office 2000 can see the public calendars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks John Which navigation pane are you in? Press Ctrl+6 to see the folder list. BTW, Did you keep the old Outlook 2000 profile? We recommend new profiles when upgrading from older versions. ...

Saving MY Calendar into "Publication-Calendar"
My problem is that I have to make a certain type of calendar in every month. It would save lots of time forme if I could find a way that I could save my "calendar setting" and also be able to apply the new month's settings. There is any way that I could save my "home-made" calendar into "Publications-Calendar" and call it up just like the other calendars? Thanks. If you have repeating items you just use the Merge for those items every month. -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!" I do not understand ho...

rescuing public contacts
If exchange server is down is there a way of recovering the public contact list? no...if it's a contacts folder in Public folders (or in a mailbox), it cannot be accessed if the store is dismounted/down...unless you invest in something like Ontrack's PowerControls... "mando" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2104201c45a11$a7f87b80$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If exchange server is down is there a way of recovering > the public contact list? ...

Deleted calendar from Public Folders
Accidentally I deleted Calendar in Public Folders on the Exchange 2000. Is there a way to bring it back? I tried to locate an article in Knowlege Base searching with "Recovering deleted items from a public folder", but the article is gone. On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:28:01 -0700, Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Accidentally I deleted Calendar in Public Folders on the Exchange 2000. Is >there a way to bring it back? >I tried to locate an article in Knowlege Base searching with "Recovering >deleted items from a public folder", but the a...

Mail merge duplications in Outlook
I am attempting an e-mail merge for a letter written in Word with my Excel list as I had done in previous versions of Word. When I do this, multiple copies of the the e-mail are sent to the e-mail recipients and the <<name>> field transposes different names from other records. The sent items appears correctly in the Outlook sent folder? My Outlook is setup to send/receive through a Pop3 Account. Has anybody encountered a similar problem or does anybody know of a fix? Thanks in adavance for your help! Eric ...

You cannot copy or move messages to public folders
I have a few users who get the following error when trying to move messages from their inbox into a public folder - "Can't move the items. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator" I have found the following on microsofts website and have made those changes but it has not solved the issue http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330752 has anyone seen this before? I have also downloaded outspy and run this on messages that have failed and on messages that are ok. However im not really su...

2007 duplicate accounts?
In previous versions of Money (2005 & 2006) there was a duplicate account problem. I described it previously here: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/61a41a7b3e0efcaf http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/b9b1de03d4a5d911 I've searched the group for comments from current M07 users about whether this problem still exists, but haven't found it. If I missed it, my apologies. Would you kindly send me a pointer? If I didn't miss it, has anyone who's using M07 seen this problem? TIA - Mark I'm not using 2007 but I think what...

text box email publication
I am a publisher novice. I am trying to develop an e-mail newletter. The templates in publisher have a text box under each article with what appears to be a hyperlink with "more details". I assume this will enable the reader of the email to expand the text box and see the full details of the article. I like this feature as it means that readers only get to see the title and abstract and then can select the articles they want to read in full. Unfortunately I can not work out how to use this function and as usual help is no help. Tim no such feature in Publisher. "kiwi ti...

Public Folder Replication #19
I have 3 exchange 2003 servers. Server A is in Site A. Server B and B-1 are in site B. B-1 is a new load of exchange 2003 and I plan on moving all the mail boxes from B to B-1 but first I must set up the public folders which all have a home on server A and have been replicated to B. I went into the esm and added B-1 as a replica for all the folders that had a replica to B. Later that day I checked and the folder hiarchy had replicated onto B-1 but all the folders are empty. Are these folders going to update and fill with the public folder data or do I need to force this? I tried the send conte...

Duplicate Inbox
Hi! I formatted my hardrive and installed Office 2003 again. Copied the pst file. Every thing seems to be working fine, but I see two OUTLOOK TODAY in my All Mail Folder. They are exactly the same, and both of them expand at the time of receive emails. How do I remove the other one. One item has OUTLOOK TODAY icon, however the one has icon same as when you attach any other PST file. Please help If you right-click the root folder of the extra .PST file and select Close from the context menu, does it close? If not, can you remove it from your profile using File | Data File Management? -- ...

Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row
I am trying to highlight duplicates in a row and am using the explanation: Highlighting Duplicate Entries Our first task is to highlight the cells in Range1 that are duplicates. We use Excel's Conditional Formatting tool to accomplish this. First, highlight the entire Range1. Then, select the Conditional Formatting tool from the Format menu: Format->Conditional Formatting. Change the "Cell Value Is" option to "Formula Is" and enter the following formula in the formula text box: =IF(COUNTIF(Range1, A5)>1,TRUE,FALSE) Where A5 is the first cell in Range1....

Error Message using Personal Folders Back-up
I recently downloaded and installed the Personal Folders Back-Up program into my Outlook 2000. I have it set to back up my Personal folder to a Zip drive when I exit Outlook. When the I exit the program I keep getting the following message "Cannot copy outlook: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file." What do I need to do to get this to work properly? I would like to be able to back up my Personal folder without exporting each subfolder to the zip drive individually. I also tried backing up to other locations with the sam...

How many Personal Folders
How many personal folders can you create/open in Outlook 2003? We have a couple users that have created dozens of personal folders. I know there's a limit to the file size of a personal folder (around 100MB or bigger it can corrupt easier). I was wondering if there's a limit to the number of .PST files Outlook can have open and displayed. ...