duplicate emails when using: Deliver messages to both forwarding address and mailbox

Hi All,

I wonder if anybody has ever had this problem and can shed some light.

I have a couple of mailboxes that forward all their incoming messages to
external POP3 accounts (for remote home users) besides keeping a copy in the
local mailbox (for webmail or when they come into the office). These have
worked fine for months/years however last week (No configuration changes,
just latest MS updates applied on both on FE and BE (clustered) Ex-2003
servers - related??). Now each time one of these mailboxes receives an
external email it forwards 2 copies of the same email to the external
account, one after the other instead of just 1 (timestamp may differ
slightly). Very odd!

This is what i know:
- I ruled out POP3/external account issues as I tried with various external
accounts and results are the same.
- If I turn off the option "Deliver messages to both forwarding address and
mailbox" it works fine and just forwards 1 copy (but saves no local copy
obviously).
- If I turn off forwarding alltogether and create a rule to forward all
incoming mail to the external (Contact) address this also works fine (but
the email looks like a manually forwarded email and you cannot reply to it,
etc).
- Only when both forwarding AND "Deliver messages to both forwarding address
and mailbox" are selected is that I get this duplicate email forwarded.
- Only happens with external email

My setup is straight forward. An SMTP AV cleaner relay on DMZ, then 1
Exchange FE server (acting as bridgehead and holds SMTP connector) and 1
clustered BE server just for mailboxes.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JM :)

0
jlabenski (10)

> - Only when both forwarding AND "Deliver messages to both forwarding address
> and mailbox" are selected is that I get this duplicate email forwarded.
> - Only happens with external email

We are having the exact same problem. And, bizarrely, it started at
about the same time yours did. Have you found out anything?

0
TexasMirty (12)
8/3/2006 8:14:20 PM
Hi,

Well, it's comforting to know I'm not alone on this one. But no, I've been
playing with settings and config I can think of but haven't been able to
sort it out yet. I'm inclined to blame some exchange update. Will post again
if I find anything that helps

I re-attach my original post in case someone out there can HELP.

thanks

JM
------------

<TexasMirty@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> - Only when both forwarding AND "Deliver messages to both forwarding
>> address
>> and mailbox" are selected is that I get this duplicate email forwarded.
>> - Only happens with external email
>
> We are having the exact same problem. And, bizarrely, it started at
> about the same time yours did. Have you found out anything?

0
jlabenski (10)
8/4/2006 9:53:28 AM
I worked with Microsoft tech support on this today and was able to fix
ours. Hope this works for you too:

Short answer: Enable Integrated Windows Authentication on the SMTP
Virtual Server on both front-end and back-end servers. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843106/

Here's what the Microsoft tech led me through.

1. Enable Diagnostics at Maximum level in order to generate data for
diagnosing the problem. We did this by going to the Exchange System
Manager - Administrative Groups - <Domain> - <Server>. Go to Properties
of the server. Click on Diagnostics Logging. Scroll to
MSExchangeTransport. Enable Maximum logging on all categories under
MSExchangeTransport.

2. Now send a test email to recreate the condition. (Sent a message to
myself from gmail. I had my account set up to forward to a Yahoo
address.)

3. Now look in the Event Viewer - Application. AHA! Oodles of error
messages that were not there before have now appeared, as the diags is
logging detailed messages from SMTP. The errors are all the same:

Source: MSExchangeTransport, Category: SMTP Protocol, Event ID:7010.
The message: "This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1...
The client at <IP address of Front-End Exchange server> sent a
"xexch50" command, and the SMTP server responded with "504 Need to
authenticate first".

4. A quick search online Found KB 843106 - "How to troubleshoot the
"504 need to authenticate first" SMTP protocol error". In here, we
learn that if you disable Integrated Windows Authentication on the SMTP
Virtual Server, then "Messages to alternate recipients may cause
duplicates."

5. Bingo! Enabled Integrated Windows Authentication for the SMTP
Virtual Server on both the front end and back end Exchange servers:

a. In Exchange System Manager, expand Administrative Groups, expand
Servers, expand Exchange Server Name, expand Protocols, and then expand
SMTP.
b. Right-click the SMTP virtual server. (By default, this is named
Default SMTP Virtual Server.)
c. Click Properties, click the Access tab, and then click
Authentication. Make sure that the Integrated Windows Authentication
check box is selected

Happy ending. It's fixed.

How did it start?

About a month ago, my manager and I reviewed the SMTP settings on the
server. With the intent to lock down the server, we made some changes,
one of which was disabling the option to use Integrated Windows
Authentication. (We did not want users setting up SMTP accounts on
their workstations and sending SMTP email.)

Several days later, some users reported the duplication of forwarded
emails, but we did not connect the two.

It seems that our front-end server was having an issue authenticating
to the back-end server. Exactly why this resulted in duplicate emails
is a bit of a mystery to me still.

0
TexasMirty (12)
8/7/2006 6:16:55 PM
Hi Mate,

Many thanks for this!!Will give a try and let you know

regards

> [...]
> Default SMTP Virtual Server.)
> c. Click Properties, click the Access tab, and then click
> Authentication. Make sure that the Integrated Windows Authentication
> check box is selected
>
> Happy ending. It's fixed.
>
> How did it start?
>
> About a month ago, my manager and I reviewed the SMTP settings on the
> server. With the intent to lock down the server, we made some changes,
> one of which was disabling the option to use Integrated Windows
> Authentication. (We did not want users setting up SMTP accounts on
> their workstations and sending SMTP email.)
>
> Several days later, some users reported the duplication of forwarded
> emails, but we did not connect the two.
>
> It seems that our front-end server was having an issue authenticating
> to the back-end server. Exactly why this resulted in duplicate emails

UI Data Validation using XML Schema
Has anybody done UI data validation usinf XML Schemas. Any pointers will help. Thanks! ...

Incoming Emails 01-15-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Email Client: pop Why am I suddenly getting the same emails sent to me over and over again whenever I log on? Every time I log on, I now get emails from last week that I've already received and even deleted. On 1/14/10 5:47 PM, in article 59bb0f88.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Trdwnds@officeformac.com" <Trdwnds@officeformac.com> wrote: > Why am I suddenly getting the same emails sent to me over and over again > whenever I log on? Every time I log on, I now get emails from last week that > I've al...

Leaving messages on server
Where do I select the option to leave messages on server so I can view them on another computer? In the advanced properties of your POP mail account settings. Without knowing your version of Outlook, hard to tell you more. Troy wrote: > Where do I select the option to leave messages on server > so I can view them on another computer? ...

How do you set up a submit button to attach worksheet in email?
I am doing a form and I want to have a submit or send link on the bottom of the page. I know how to make hyperlinks but I dont know how to get it where when the user hits the send button it automatically saves that info and sends that form to the intended email address. Basically so you dont have to attach it yourself through email. Is there a way to do this? Have a look here for code to send mail http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm#Tips -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on a...

how to use the type member in System.Web.Services.Description
hi all, I want to parse the wsdl file . It is ease to parse the parts of wsdl except that the part of types. Because I don't know how to use the System.Web.Services.Description member types . I have searched the MSDN to find answer , but , it tell me very less. So I come here for help. For example, there is a types is defined as follows: - <types> - <s:schema elementFormDefault="qualified" targetNamespace="http://www.webservicex.net"> - <s:element name="GetGeoIP"> - <s:complexType> - <s:sequence> <s:element minOccurs="0...

Cannot read Base64 encoded emails (OL98)
Hello folks, I have a problem with one of my Outlook 98 machines. One user (Ironically the boss!) cannot read base64 encoded emails, they come up as garbage, which I then have to run through a Base64 decoder. Other users also use Outlook 98, but can read the emails fine. the problem affects the message text and encoded objects. Mail is coming from the same local server (602 ProLan Suite). The machine with the error is running build 8.5.7806.0. The other machines (Which read messages fine) are both running build 8.5.5104.6. This leads me to thinking that the problem is a result of a ...

Sending email but outbox is empty
Hi NG, When I press send/receive Outlook shows in its status bar that it works on sending emails (Sending messages 1 of 4) but there is not mail in outbox. As a result I currently cannot send any other mails since Outlook keeps working on the 4 emails I don't see. Any ideas, I am clueless? - Thanks a lot for any help!!!! Dirk ...

set up email 07-14-10
hello.i am trying to set up an email account on my laptop and my modem is my Blackberry phone.everytime i try to set it up it comes back with all kinds of problems.my email on the phone works great,but i would rather have an account on my laptop.my phone is T-Mobile Blackberry Bold.i would be very thankful for any help. "Looster59" <Looster59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BE71BBC-D2DC-44F8-8C95-6F0810E00124@microsoft.com... > hello.i am trying to set up an email account on my laptop and my modem is > my > Blackberry phone.everytime...

Bulk Import Wizard for Leads Issue
Hi, I am trying to import Lead records using a CSV file containing around 3,000 records. I have tested with around 20 records (taken from the larger file) and it imports fine but when I select the the 3,000 record file for import the wizard gives an error message somthing like (sorry don't have exact wording) 'Source Import file is corrupt'. Are there any known issues with CSV files such as the following : 1) Special characters such as an asterix not handled 2) Email and Website type fields must all be correctly formatted? 3) File is too large Thanks for your help in adva...

Can't auto-complete e-mail addresses
Dear All, I just imported about 2000 contacts in my Outlook 2000 Address Book. Able to see them in the address book and create groups etc. But when i compose a new message and i try to enter some e-mail addresses in TO and then why do outlook do not give me suggestion to auto-complete them? I tried most of the settings. It wont work. What may be the problem? -Sameer Outlook 2000 has no such feature. Autocompletion didn't start until Outlook 2002. Versions of Outlook earlier than Outlook 2002 have a feature called auto-resolution. If you enter part of a name or a nickname then tab out o...

new email notification doesn't work?
In Outlook 2003, I have the option set for the semi-transparent notification window to pop up when I get new email, but it never does. Is there something I'm not doing right? Does it only come up in certain situations? Btw, I'm using the regular Inbox with a POP3 account. -- John Salerno Do you have rules moving your email to folders after receipt? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searchi...

Problems creating a newsletter
I chose the form "Newsletter - email". I have created a 3 page newsletter. Now, I have NO IDEA how to send it out as an email. I do not want to send it as an attachment. I cannot figure out which "save as" format or what I need to do so that i can email this newsletter. Is there a website that goes through how to do this? Am I correct when I say that it has to be html in order for me to send it as email? That is not one of the options. Any help you give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using 2003 Publisher. I created the book "Tri-Puzzles for Genesis - I"...

Emails in queue #2
Hello, I have exchange 2003 installed on windows 2003. The problem is as follows It seems to be working fine then all of a sudden the messages pending for submission starts to fill up and all the clients get a message in their outlook stating "outlook is trying to retreive data from the microsoft exchange server". The onky way to resolve this is by rebootong the computer. Any ideas? Thansk You need to identify where the performance bottleneck is. The following link should get you started http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/e2k3perf.mspx In a...

try again email forms
Hi there I have searched for the codes to email a form/report in a body of an email and have Access connect to MS outlook to choose who to email to. I have tried several different codes and do not understand code. None of the ones that I have tried worked. The last one I have tried is: Dim mess_body As String Dim appOutLook As Outlook.Application Dim MailOutLook As Outlook.MailItem Set appOutLook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Set MailOutLook = appOutLook.CreateItem(olMailItem) 'MsgBox (mess_body) mess_body = "The following Enrollment Form Order requires your...

Edit mailbox size limit message #2
Hi All, We have Exchange 2003, Outlook 2k on desktop. We limit mailboxes to 100mb and issue a warning at 75mb, in order to give them enough of a cahnce to archive, delete, etc. My question is, can we edit the message that comes from the "System Administrator" to use our own verbage? Users get confused with the message because it says "Mailbox size limits: You will receive a warning when your mailbox reaches 75000 KB.You may not be able to send or receive new mail until you reduce your mailbox size." They think this message means they won't be able to send or receiv...

Outlook 2002 cannot see address book

Storing 7 days email on remote server
Hi, i need a solution to have a remote exchange server hold the last 7 days email in the same structure as our internal corporate exchange server. this is for DR purposes. i was thinking of implementing exchange 2003 in a remote data centre that stores the last 7 days emails. It will have the main MX records pointing to it and all emails will be forwarded to our corporate exchange server. Emails will be deleted off the remote server after 7 days oldest first. Part of our BCP is to have webmail access for users covering the last 7 days while we bring up our corporate exchange server in DR mod...

Proper use of categories in invoicing?
I am a freelance web developer. I use Money to print and track my invoicing. Being a freelancer, I often have a wide variety of clients: there is a continual influx of new clients, as well as a stable of regular clients. The regular clients often bring their own clients with them, and in this case, my role is only to develop the site. As a result, I will often send out 10 or 20 invoices to one of these regular clients over the course of a year, covering work that I may have done on 20 or 30 sites. As it is now, I can sort for invoices to the REGULAR CLIENTS, but I cannot search/sort for i...

Mail Rule
Hi, I would like to create a rule which would delete any emails which DOESN'T contain an attachment, any idea anyone? Thanks for your time, Uri. Here's one method: Rule #1 -- Condition - has an attachment. Action - stop processing more rules Rule #2 -- Condition - none (will act on all messages). Action - delete -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "msnew" <uri@manpower.co.il> wrote in message news:%235sIUzEgEHA...

Promoting Email to CRM Activity in Outlook
Is there a way to associate an email to two accounts when promoting it to a CRM Activity? Lynn Lynn, if you'd like to link the email to multiple regarding objects, you're out of luck. Only one regarding object can be set, though the email will also be linked to all of the senders/recipients ('activity parties'). Ilana. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "MattNC" <MattNC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70F78E3C-272A-4515-B393-38700C767B65@microsoft.com... > After you click the &qu...

Outlook 2002
We have a single user who is attaching multiple documents through DOCSOpen to an email message. If he saves this message so he can send it later, it will not send. He just hits the SEND button and nothing happens. According to him , this doesn't happen when he sends an email straight away. Only when it is saved. He has to restart his machine for the email to send. DOes anyone have any ideas? We are running XP with Office XP (2002-SP2) Thank you in advance ...

Error Message #7
I got this error while trying to se the properties of the public folders: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. We upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003, any ideas? thanks. Have you ran the DS/IS consistency checker? It will remove any zombie users from the ACL of public folders. Teo "Jesus Garcia" wrote: > I got this error while trying to se the properties of the public folders: An > operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. > > We upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003, any ideas? thanks. ...

Macro with relative address problem XSL 2000
Basically I want to (and did at one time) create a macro that edits a number (zip code), inserts a leading zero then moves down one cell. Cell Contents A1 1234 A2 2345 A3 3456 With the cursor on A1 my steps are: Tools\Macro\Record a New Macro\z On Stop Recording Toolbar depress Relative Address, then Edit Home '0 enter Down Click Stop recoding Since the cursor is on a A2, Pressing CTRL+z will make the contents 01234, not the desired 02345. I've tried different combinations of when to depress the relative address button with no success. And double clicking the c...

Can We Use "cout" in MFC? How About "string"?
How do we use "cout" in MFC. How about string maria("lennox")? None of them works. Please explain; maria Why in the world would you want to? Where do you think it is going to put it? For debug tracing, see my Logging Listbox Control on my MVP Tips site. joe On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:19:44 -0400, maria <<>> wrote: >How do we use "cout" in MFC. How about >string maria("lennox")? >None of them works. Please explain; > >maria Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http:...

Returned Messages in Outlook 2003
We are using Exchange 2003 w/ Outlook 2003. Everything works great sending out most all messages but there are a few most of which are to hotmail accounts but some are to other domains that always get a bounce back saying "You do not have permission to send to this recipient". Can someone please tell me why this is happening and what I need to do to correct the problem. Thanks!!!! Ann What's the entire error message, does it mention unable to relay? "Ann" wrote: > We are using Exchange 2003 w/ Outlook 2003. Everything works great sending > out most all me...