Domain controller #2

Should I be running my Exchange 2k3 as a domain controller and also as a
global catalog server.  I have heard reports that this is not good.  Please
clarify.  There are other Domain Controllers at the site as well as Global
Catalogs.  Just looking to improve performance.

James Robertson

It's not recommended, but it is supported.  It certainly won't increase
performance.  Rule of thumb is 1 GC for every 4 Exchange processors.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message
> Should I be running my Exchange 2k3 as a domain controller and also as a
> global catalog server.  I have heard reports that this is not good.
> Please clarify.  There are other Domain Controllers at the site as well as
> Global Catalogs.  Just looking to improve performance.
>
> James Robertson

0
Ben
6/27/2005 4:55:57 PM
So even though that there are other DC's and GC at the site I should still
run it as a DC and GC?

James

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:urkCYkzeFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

In news:OyL6HszeFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
James Robetson <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> typed:
> So even though that there are other DC's and GC at the site I should
> still run it as a DC and GC?

That's not what he's saying. In fact, he's saying the opposite. Exchange is
best run on a member server. It won't necessarily break anything on a DC,
but you may run into performance issues - and any disaster recovery you have
to do will not be fun.

> James
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom>
> wrote in message news:urkCYkzeFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> It's not recommended, but it is supported.  It certainly won't
>> increase performance.  Rule of thumb is 1 GC for every 4 Exchange
>> processors. --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message
>>> Should I be running my Exchange 2k3 as a domain controller and also
>>> as a global catalog server.  I have heard reports that this is not
>>> good. Please clarify.  There are other Domain Controllers at the
>>> site as well as Global Catalogs.  Just looking to improve
>>> performance. James Robertson

0
lanwench (7567)
6/27/2005 5:27:02 PM
No - I'm saying it is NOT recommended to run Exchange ON a DC/GC, but it
even though it is not recommended, it is a supported configuration by
Microsoft.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne

"James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message
> So even though that there are other DC's and GC at the site I should still
> run it as a DC and GC?
>
> James
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:urkCYkzeFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> It's not recommended, but it is supported.  It certainly won't increase
>> performance.  Rule of thumb is 1 GC for every 4 Exchange processors.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message
>>> Should I be running my Exchange 2k3 as a domain controller and also as a
>>> global catalog server.  I have heard reports that this is not good.
>>> Please clarify.  There are other Domain Controllers at the site as well
>>> as Global Catalogs.  Just looking to improve performance.
>>>
>>> James Robertson

0
Ben
6/27/2005 5:36:40 PM
Thank You

in message news:%23UZQI7zeFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> No - I'm saying it is NOT recommended to run Exchange ON a DC/GC, but it
> even though it is not recommended, it is a supported configuration by
> Microsoft.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message
>> So even though that there are other DC's and GC at the site I should
>> still run it as a DC and GC?
>>
>> James
>>

>> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom>
>> wrote in message news:urkCYkzeFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> It's not recommended, but it is supported.  It certainly won't increase
>>> performance.  Rule of thumb is 1 GC for every 4 Exchange processors.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ben Winzenz
>>> Exchange MVP
>>> MessageOne
>>>

>>> "James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:27:02 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>In news:OyL6HszeFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>James Robetson <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> typed:
>> So even though that there are other DC's and GC at the site I should
>> still run it as a DC and GC?
>
>That's not what he's saying. In fact, he's saying the opposite. Exchange is
>best run on a member server. It won't necessarily break anything on a DC,
>but you may run into performance issues - and any disaster recovery you have
>to do will not be fun.

	Additionally, changing the server role of an Exchange Server
is not supported.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;822179

>> James
>>

>> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom>
>> wrote in message news:urkCYkzeFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> It's not recommended, but it is supported.  It certainly won't
>>> increase performance.  Rule of thumb is 1 GC for every 4 Exchange
>>> processors. --
>>> Ben Winzenz
>>> Exchange MVP
>>> MessageOne
>>>

>>> "James Robetson" <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> wrote in message

0
adavid (8731)
6/27/2005 6:38:00 PM
Andy,

What are some of the potential problems? A year ago we had to demote our
Exchange 5.5 server in order to get a vendor to install a High Availability
cluster solution. We created two new DCs and installed/moved roles and
functions. We then demoted the EX 5.5 server.

Are the problems related to the Exchange server or the domain?

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:27:02 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>In news:OyL6HszeFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>James Robetson <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> typed:
>>> So even though that there are other DC's and GC at the site I should
>>> still run it as a DC and GC?
>>
>>That's not what he's saying. In fact, he's saying the opposite. Exchange
>>is
>>best run on a member server. It won't necessarily break anything on a DC,
>>but you may run into performance issues - and any disaster recovery you
>>have
>>to do will not be fun.
>>>

> Additionally, changing the server role of an Exchange Server
> is not supported.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;822179
>

>>> James

0
rasilon1 (689)
6/28/2005 8:42:34 AM
It's specific to Exchange 2003.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;822179

There really isn't mention of exactly what loss of functionality may occur,
though, but it is specific to Exchange, not the domain.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Hank Arnold" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
> Andy,
>
> What are some of the potential problems? A year ago we had to demote our
> Exchange 5.5 server in order to get a vendor to install a High
> Availability cluster solution. We created two new DCs and installed/moved
> roles and functions. We then demoted the EX 5.5 server.
>
> Are the problems related to the Exchange server or the domain?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
>
> "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
> message news:fph0c19kv3oeltmkv3rjp9cc29u6pr13gf@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:27:02 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>In news:OyL6HszeFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>>James Robetson <jrobertson@calaveras.k12.ca.us> typed:
>>>
>>>That's not what he's saying. In fact, he's saying the opposite. Exchange
>>>is
>>>best run on a member server. It won't necessarily break anything on a DC,
>>>but you may run into performance issues - and any disaster recovery you
>>>have
>>>to do will not be fun.
>>>>

>> Additionally, changing the server role of an Exchange Server
>> is not supported.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;822179

0
Ben
6/28/2005 1:24:46 PM
Thanks. We will be replacing our Exchange server cluster next year (along
with upgrading to Exchange 2003) with new hardware and moving mailboxes,
etc. to the new server. Much appreciated...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:eL$8BT%23eFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> It's specific to Exchange 2003.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;822179
>
> There really isn't mention of exactly what loss of functionality may
> occur, though, but it is specific to Exchange, not the domain.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Hank Arnold" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Andy,
>>
>> What are some of the potential problems? A year ago we had to demote our
>> Exchange 5.5 server in order to get a vendor to install a High
>> Availability cluster solution. We created two new DCs and installed/moved
>> roles and functions. We then demoted the EX 5.5 server.
>>
>> Are the problems related to the Exchange server or the domain?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Hank Arnold
>>
>> "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
>> message news:fph0c19kv3oeltmkv3rjp9cc29u6pr13gf@4ax.com...

>>> Additionally, changing the server role of an Exchange Server
>>> is not supported.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;822179

0
rasilon1 (689)

Can i apply 2 mailbox manager policies to the same mailstore ?
I have been reading up alot on this issue, and the only information i have been able to find is that you cant run more then 1 exchange recipient policy against the same user. My issue - I want to have a seperate mailbox manager policy run against each of my 4 mailstores to do a cleanup of inbox and sent / draft items. this policy moves the mail items into the deleted items folder for each mailstore. On top of this policy i want to have a policy that will delete all mail items older then 60 or 90 days depending on the mailstore from the deleted items, and delete them permanently. How ca...

Printing one pg item (visio), only prints 2nd 1/2 of page. Help?
I have a one page flowchart in Visio 2003. It fits an 8 1/2 x 11 page on print preview screen. When printed, only get 2nd half of the flowchart on the page, as though it only started printing from that point. All settings seem normal, am able to print normally in Word. Opened other visio flowcharts that had printed normally 30 minutes ago, and now only getting 2nd half of page. There were some printing issus with Visio 2003. Have applied the latest patch to Visio 2003 and are you using the latest printer drivers? John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3...

Counting empty cells within a range of cells #2
A sheet can have a variable range of adjacent cells each containing the value =1 The range defines the perimeter of, or surrounds a group of empty cells however outside the perimeter, the remaining cells on the sheet are empty as well. The task is to count the empty cells that are surrounded by the perimeter of 1�s: To do this manually, I use the @countif (range=0) function however it requires that I go into the worksheet and select the range manually. I would like to do this by formula or macro. The knowns are: 1) The location of the start/end cell of the range 2) That the next cell in ...

Why this strange behaviour regarding subclassing controls
hi I am unable to solve this after spending lot of time ,Can someon ehelp me out here I get assertion here and the window becomes NULLL after assigning in the OnIntialUpdate of formView.--afxwin2.inl // CWnd _AFXWIN_INLINE CWnd::operator HWND() const { return this == NULL ? NULL : m_hWnd; } The problem is subclassing controls and the communication between each subclassed control In a view there ia One List Control - One TabControl and inside the tabcontrol there are 2 list controls These 2 list controls are in a Dialog1 - CTab1 The communication happens fine between the list control and th...

Toggle Button Help 2
How do I configure a toggle button to toggle a cell between 2 differen colors (in this case from blue to white and back)? I only have half o the formula but don't know how to assign the other half of the toggl to change the cell back to white. Here's my formula: Private Sub ToggleButton1_Click() Range("D20").Select With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 8 .Pattern = xlSolid End With End Sub How do I add the rest? Thanks.. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Josiah, Answer Toggle question #2, you can assign the function: Private Sub ToggleButton1_Click() I...

Connect to Exchange 2003 from a different domain
Hi!! Sorry, I don't speak english well :-) This is my network: domain 1: NT and XP Clients using Outlook domain 2: Exchange 2003 Each client use LMHOST to view Exchange server. I can connect with it and the first time I use Outlook I need to write: username, password and domain. I write the username,... from Exchange domain and Outlook works fine. So, from time to time, Outlook opens a new window to write this parameters. It's a nightmare!!! I haven't a trust relationship from domain 1 to domain 2, and I haven't configured mailboxes, it use default parameters. I tried to...

Relay Problems #2
Hello Everyone, I have setup quite a few Exchange servers in my life, but the things that has now happened to me, is quite strange. I have a SBS 2003RC2 server running here, which keeps on relaying messages! I checked the relay, authenication, etc. settings. They're all like they have to be. I checked for virusses and spyware, no luck at all... In the meantime, I had to block port 25 to stop messages sending out. I put on the logging to the highest level, but it looke like they do not use any account to logon to the smtp server, which means it is an open relay. Quite strange with ...

MSN BillPay and Money 2007 #2
Has anyone had any experience with setting up MSN BillPay in Microsoft Money 2007? From Managing Online Services within Money 2007 I signed up for MSN BillPay and have my user name and password to make payments but limited to using the MSN Web Site. When I try to enter this info in Money 2007 to activate MSN billpay online services I get a message saying that I must have "special sign-in information" other than the web based user name/password and points me back to the MSN Web Site for the needed info. My problem is that I cannot find any mention of this special sign-in on any of t...

OWA domain login
I have IIS configured under the Exchange folder to login to our default domain. That allows OWA clients to login without putting the domain\username. Now the problem that I am having is that if there is a link in an email it prompts them to login again and then they have to login by domain\username, and the spell check doesn't work. If I go back into IIS and under the Exchange folder I take off the default domain everything works, except that the users now have to login with domain\username. I would like the OWA user not to have to login with domain\username and at the same time get sp...

Child Domain and GAL
Hello all! Here's my situation. I have four Exchange 2003 servers, let's call them Exchange1 to Exchange4. Servers 1 and 2 are in a parent domain. Servers 3 and 4 are each in their own child domain of the aforementioned parent. All servers are in the same Exchange organization. How can I make it so that mailboxes on servers 3 and 4 do not show up in the GAL (global address list) of our exchange organization? Using the "hide from Exchange address lists" setting is not an option since these mailboxes need to be visible inside their child domains. Thank you *very* much i...

the system cannot find the file specified outlook 2003 #2
Attachments show up in emails, but when you try to open them, the messages comes up "the system cannot find the file specified", but other recipiants on same email can open theirs. ...

Using (1), (2), (3), etc. in Risks and Issues Category values?
Do most of you use numbers, like (1), (2), (3), to define Category values for Risks and Issues to keep it "the same" as the out-of-the- box values for Status? Just curious. Thanks Andy Novak UNT Andy, I have used both with numbers and without for projects, based on the clients maturity. I would suggest if you want to make it as easy as possible to differentiate between the different risk and issues categories, put the number in, it makes it much easier to see. Alex. On Feb 20, 8:48=A0am, "ano...@unt.edu" <ano...@unt.edu> wrote: > Do most of y...

New domain (child or new forest)?
We have a single active directory domain (internal.com). We need to setup a second domain that will be accessed from the outside for non-employee users (external.com). If we do not want the external.com domain to have any access to the internal.com domain, shouldn't we create a "Domain in a new forest?" Creating a "Child domain in an existing domain tree," or a "Domain tree in an existing forest" will allow a two way trust between the root domain and the child domain correct? Howdie! jktat schrieb: > We have a single active directory dom...

Outlook Shutdown #2
I am able to send/receive emails thru Outlook 2003. However, the program will not completely shutdown (the icon remains in the lower right)and I have to use the task manager to complete the shutdown. Then, when I restart outlook, I receive the message to start in "safe mode". What could be keeping outlook from completely shutting down? (OS=XP prof, 56K modem shared on a home nw) Thanks, Tracy ...

help with 2 xl sheets...
I need help with 2 worksheets. first sheet is a time schedule sheet. I need to count the total number of shifts entered in a week The sheet is set up so columns are days of weeks, each person has 2 rows, top row is the start time bottom row is end time, time is entered is in 24Hr format and shifts start at various times of days. Second I have a row of numbers 1 to 20 that is averaged in row 21 in column A. Row 1 has the most current figure, row 20 is oldest, Can I set it up so I can enter the most current number in row 1 column A and all the existing figures automatically bump down 1 row? ...

ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? #2
I need to fine out how to save a hml workbook onto my website do I need to use ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? Kosta ...

Sum Formula #2
I have two spreadsheets in a workbook. One has forecasts by week and the other is used for planning purposes. I need to put sum formula in my planning sheet to add up the forecasts for a set period of time. The number of weeks to sum would vary by line (I have over 500 lines in my spreadsheet so don't want to have to do this manually. e.g If I need to sum 6 weeks the formula would be SUM(E6:J6) If I need to sum 8 weeks the formula would be SUM(E6:L6) If I need to sum 9 weeks the formula would be SUM(E6:M6) TIA Rob With the number of weeks in cell B4 -- =SUM(OFFSET(Forecasts!E6...

IIS & Exchange: 2 x SMTP server?
Hi, We have IIS and Exchange running on IIS. The server was accepting incoming SMTP but the message were not stored in Exchange, also some configured domains were not accepted. In IIS and Exchange there is a configuration for SMTP and we suspected that the IIS SMTP got the incoming calls and handled it. We changed the port number of SMTP in Exchange to 8025 and as we thought a telnet session to 25 accepted mails (but not stored in Exchange), when connected to port 8025 mail was stored exchange and other domains were accepted. We tried to stop the smtp server in IIS but at every restart the...

Exchange 2000 - Additional Server
Hi We have 2 sites, connected via a 256k leased line, separated into 2 subnets. On the site with the Internet gateway, we have an Exchange server 2000, which currently all clients at both sites connect to via Outlook 2000. We have approx 25 users at each site. I would like to put a second exchange server at our remote site, so that when they get attachments etc, they don't have to wait forever etc. We would then have each person's mailbox on the server that they normally use, I can get my site log on scripts to deal with which Exchange server they use. I am thinking maybe we coul...

User Name #2
Every time I try to open an Excel or Word document I'm prompted to enter a user name (which is added by default). It has only recently appeared. How do I get rid of this pest? I'm using Office 2007 and Windows Vista. ...

Migrate data from 1.2 to 3.0
Hi Can i use the data migration framework to migrate data from 1.2 SBS to 3.0 Professional after doing all the required mappings ? Is there an easier way to have data from 1.2 SBS moved to 3.0 Professional? Unfortunately you cannot move data between deployments. You can only upgrade the existing CRM 1.2 deployment to 3.0. There is no 1.2 SBS Edition, so you may have to redeploy the 1.2 environment to a new place, then upgrade the system. -- Laszlo Kovacs MCSE+S, MCT, Microsoft Dynamics Certified Master "Jij" wrote: > Hi Can i use the data migration framework to migrate d...

Option to choose deposit amount and make payments on backorders. #2
Would like the option to choose deposit amount and make payments on backorders. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a6218988-e708-4938-a567-b96fd43884af&dg=m...

Can I install my copy of Access on 2 computers? My Desktop & my Laptop ?
Some software allows more than one installation... maybe one for your regular desktop and another for your laptop. Does MS allow this for a single license copy of MS Access? Thanks for any help. "Mel" <myemaillist@gmail.com> wrote > Some software allows more than one installation... > maybe one for your regular desktop and another > for your laptop. > > Does MS allow this for a single license copy of MS Access? You'd have to read the End User License Agreement that came with your copy of Access. Licenses vary depending on version, ti...

Escape key #2
On Feb 6, 8:38 am, "Ed" <e...@hvc.rr.com> wrote: > I am using VC++ 6.0 > How do I stop the escape key from exiting my program? > Thanks. Problem solved ;) I modified CMydialog::OnSysCommand and now it works as desired Thanks all. ------------------------------------- void CEcolorDlg::OnSysCommand(UINT nID, LPARAM lParam) { if ((nID & 0xFFF0) == IDM_ABOUTBOX) { CAboutDlg dlgAbout; dlgAbout.DoModal(); } else if ((nID & 0xFFF0) == SC_CLOSE) { //if user clicked the "X" EndDialog(IDOK); //Close the dialog with IDOK (or IDCAN...

Converting from Lotus 1, 2, 3 docs
I have a user who has a bunch of Lotus 1, 2, 3 spreadsheets that he is trying to convert to Excel. His version of Lotus is old (version 5), his version of Excel is 2000 sp2. The files convert but they are missing pages or headings or other unacceptable qualities. Anyone any advice? Michael If you open the files using Excel and save them to an .xls format in the current version you are losing data? A while back I needed to do this. I wrote an application in VB that loops through the files, opens them using Excel (add a reference in VB to MS Office 10) and then save them in the current ...