Do not share IFS m drive ?

Exchange 2000 uses a rather handy feature called IFS, through which you can
access your IS as if it were a file system. Exchange 2003 can do the same
after changing the registry. The server shows an additional M drive, with
which you can browse mailboxes and public folders.

Microsoft advices not to share this M drive through SMB however, but only as
a Web Folder. That sorta makes the feature less interesting. Why is this ? I
tried sharing normally and I can browse the UNC share without problems. What
are the pitfalls ?

Grtz
(rwillkomm@ortec.nl)

0
helpdesk1 (15)

"Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl> wrote in message
> Exchange 2000 uses a rather handy feature called IFS, through which you
> can access your IS as if it were a file system. Exchange 2003 can do the
> same after changing the registry. The server shows an additional M drive,
> with which you can browse mailboxes and public folders.
>
> Microsoft advices not to share this M drive through SMB however, but only
> as a Web Folder. That sorta makes the feature less interesting. Why is
> this ? I tried sharing normally and I can browse the UNC share without
> problems. What are the pitfalls ?
>
> Grtz
> (rwillkomm@ortec.nl)

I think they found that too many people were not excluding the M: drive from
their Virus scans, which caused a lot of problems.

Lee.

--
___________________________________

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com
___________________________________

0
Lee
8/16/2006 8:37:25 AM
Also, some people were changing permissions on things like public folders
directly through the M drive, rather than through ESM - this caused HUGE
amounts of problems when someone tried to use ESM to manage public folders.

Best advice is to leave it hidden and forget it ever existed.  You shouldn't
need access to anything through the M drive anyway.

"Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" <email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m> wrote in
message news:OXKC18QwGHA.4868@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> "Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl> wrote in message
>> Exchange 2000 uses a rather handy feature called IFS, through which you
>> can access your IS as if it were a file system. Exchange 2003 can do the
>> same after changing the registry. The server shows an additional M drive,
>> with which you can browse mailboxes and public folders.
>>
>> Microsoft advices not to share this M drive through SMB however, but only
>> as a Web Folder. That sorta makes the feature less interesting. Why is
>> this ? I tried sharing normally and I can browse the UNC share without
>> problems. What are the pitfalls ?
>>
>> Grtz
>> (rwillkomm@ortec.nl)
>
> I think they found that too many people were not excluding the M: drive
> from their Virus scans, which caused a lot of problems.
>
> Lee.
>
> --
> ___________________________________
>
> Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
> www.leederbyshire.com
> ___________________________________

0
wayne9047 (82)
8/16/2006 9:50:46 AM
The permissions model for Exchange and IFS are not the same.   If you do
something silly like change the permissions through windows explorer or do
an AV scan of the M: drive, you break things.

"Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl> wrote in message
> Exchange 2000 uses a rather handy feature called IFS, through which you
> can access your IS as if it were a file system. Exchange 2003 can do the
> same after changing the registry. The server shows an additional M drive,
> with which you can browse mailboxes and public folders.
>
> Microsoft advices not to share this M drive through SMB however, but only
> as a Web Folder. That sorta makes the feature less interesting. Why is
> this ? I tried sharing normally and I can browse the UNC share without
> problems. What are the pitfalls ?
>
> Grtz
> (rwillkomm@ortec.nl)

0
John
8/16/2006 10:01:59 AM
Well I'm considering doing something really silly. Get ready for this one :)

We've got a bunch of old Public Folders with lots of archived e-mail.
They're read-only, so I don't expect do do anything with permissions through
IFS or Exchange anyway. The permissions are quite alright, and the
archive-tree in question is on a seperates Ecxhange server not doing
anything else. It's just a bunch of data.

What users are missing in Outlook is a recursive search capability in this
tree of Public Folders. Outlook doesn't search resursively in PF trees (not
yet anyway, or does it with an indexed store ?).
So when we 'convert' this particular PF tree to a filesystem, we can index
that filesystem with Windows Desktop Search, so it becomes searchable.

Stupid idea ? Perhaps. It doesn't sound very efficient, but I don't really
see anything else that's as easy to set up as this (and free). So as long as
it works, I dont really care about the efficiency (apart from a huge amount
of PC's indexing the M drive share, which might cause some problems).

Shoot me, I'm all ears.

RW
(rwillkomm@ortec.nl)

"John Fullbright [MVP]" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message
> The permissions model for Exchange and IFS are not the same.   If you do
> something silly like change the permissions through windows explorer or do
> an AV scan of the M: drive, you break things.
>

> "Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl> wrote in message
>> Exchange 2000 uses a rather handy feature called IFS, through which you
>> can access your IS as if it were a file system. Exchange 2003 can do the
>> same after changing the registry. The server shows an additional M drive,
>> with which you can browse mailboxes and public folders.
>>
>> Microsoft advices not to share this M drive through SMB however, but only
>> as a Web Folder. That sorta makes the feature less interesting. Why is
>> this ? I tried sharing normally and I can browse the UNC share without
>> problems. What are the pitfalls ?
>>
>> Grtz
>> (rwillkomm@ortec.nl)

0
helpdesk1 (15)
8/16/2006 12:57:27 PM
I can see your logic - but I would be very concerned about doing it.

As far as I am aware, it is the modification of anything on the M drive that
causes a problem rather than just searching it.

However, allowing a "huge number of PCs" direct access to that drive, even
for just indexing, is a recipe for disaster (even if you exclude the
potential security issues of allowing users direct access to it, there is
the possibility that someone will copy, move or change something - no matter
how small a change it could cause untold problems).  If it was 1 PC that was
indexing it I'd be concerned, but with lots of them I wouldn't be sleeping
at night.

If you go down that route, I'd make sure you have a very good and thoroughly
tested DR plan.

> Well I'm considering doing something really silly. Get ready for this one
> :)
>
> We've got a bunch of old Public Folders with lots of archived e-mail.
> They're read-only, so I don't expect do do anything with permissions
> through IFS or Exchange anyway. The permissions are quite alright, and the
> archive-tree in question is on a seperates Ecxhange server not doing
> anything else. It's just a bunch of data.
>
> What users are missing in Outlook is a recursive search capability in this
> tree of Public Folders. Outlook doesn't search resursively in PF trees
> (not yet anyway, or does it with an indexed store ?).
> So when we 'convert' this particular PF tree to a filesystem, we can index
> that filesystem with Windows Desktop Search, so it becomes searchable.
>
> Stupid idea ? Perhaps. It doesn't sound very efficient, but I don't really
> see anything else that's as easy to set up as this (and free). So as long
> as it works, I dont really care about the efficiency (apart from a huge
> amount of PC's indexing the M drive share, which might cause some
> problems).
>
> Shoot me, I'm all ears.
>
> RW
> (rwillkomm@ortec.nl)
>

> "John Fullbright [MVP]" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message
>> The permissions model for Exchange and IFS are not the same.   If you do
>> something silly like change the permissions through windows explorer or
>> do an AV scan of the M: drive, you break things.
>>

>> "Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl> wrote in message
>>> Exchange 2000 uses a rather handy feature called IFS, through which you
>>> can access your IS as if it were a file system. Exchange 2003 can do the
>>> same after changing the registry. The server shows an additional M
>>> drive, with which you can browse mailboxes and public folders.
>>>
>>> Microsoft advices not to share this M drive through SMB however, but
>>> only as a Web Folder. That sorta makes the feature less interesting. Why
>>> is this ? I tried sharing normally and I can browse the UNC share
>>> without problems. What are the pitfalls ?
>>>
>>> Grtz
>>> (rwillkomm@ortec.nl)

0
wayne9047 (82)
8/16/2006 2:35:06 PM
Like I said, the share will be read-only. And the PF tree is also set to
read-only in Exchange. So users won't be able to make changes.

But like you, I also have doubts about this. It might go very wrong.

"Wayne" <wayne@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I can see your logic - but I would be very concerned about doing it.
>
> As far as I am aware, it is the modification of anything on the M drive
> that causes a problem rather than just searching it.
>
> However, allowing a "huge number of PCs" direct access to that drive, even
> for just indexing, is a recipe for disaster (even if you exclude the
> potential security issues of allowing users direct access to it, there is
> the possibility that someone will copy, move or change something - no
> matter how small a change it could cause untold problems).  If it was 1 PC
> that was indexing it I'd be concerned, but with lots of them I wouldn't be
> sleeping at night.
>
> If you go down that route, I'd make sure you have a very good and
> thoroughly tested DR plan.
>

> "Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl> wrote in message
>> Well I'm considering doing something really silly. Get ready for this one
>> :)
>>
>> We've got a bunch of old Public Folders with lots of archived e-mail.
>> They're read-only, so I don't expect do do anything with permissions
>> through IFS or Exchange anyway. The permissions are quite alright, and
>> the archive-tree in question is on a seperates Ecxhange server not doing
>> anything else. It's just a bunch of data.
>>
>> What users are missing in Outlook is a recursive search capability in
>> this tree of Public Folders. Outlook doesn't search resursively in PF
>> trees (not yet anyway, or does it with an indexed store ?).
>> So when we 'convert' this particular PF tree to a filesystem, we can
>> index that filesystem with Windows Desktop Search, so it becomes
>> searchable.
>>
>> Stupid idea ? Perhaps. It doesn't sound very efficient, but I don't
>> really see anything else that's as easy to set up as this (and free). So
>> as long as it works, I dont really care about the efficiency (apart from
>> a huge amount of PC's indexing the M drive share, which might cause some
>> problems).
>>
>> Shoot me, I'm all ears.
>>
>> RW
>> (rwillkomm@ortec.nl)
>>

>> "John Fullbright [MVP]" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message
>>> The permissions model for Exchange and IFS are not the same.   If you do
>>> something silly like change the permissions through windows explorer or
>>> do an AV scan of the M: drive, you break things.
>>>

>>> "Richard" <helpdesk@ortec.nl> wrote in message

0
helpdesk1 (15)

How to share multiple user agenda's without Exchange
How can I share / read agenda's of multiple users without Exchange Server using plain Outlook ? Systems all have Win XP pro, Outlook 2003, all service packs and updates, all networked. Any clues? TIA, John7 Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, John7 asked: | How can I share / read agenda's of multiple users without Exchange | Serv...

Change Cascade Behavior for Assign/Share in CRM2.0
I have read through postings in the newsgroup and also talked in person with a few partners on problems with current product behavior with Assign, Share or Set Parent operations. The new user gets access to all related records that is not what is desired in many situations (closed orders, opportunities, quotes, appointments shouldn't change owners for example). We are in the midst of considering a design change for this behavior. I would like to solicit your feedback to help us resdesign the behavior to meet majority of customer needs. Do customers want to change cascade behavior a...

an easy question..i'm just a newb!!!
in outlook express,, i used to see , on the left columns,, my folders and then below..my contacts!!! i accidently pressed the "X" for the contacts,, and now they are gone!!! how do i putt them back so i can see them again????? You'll want to ask this in a newsgroup that supports Outlook Express. This group supports Outlook which is part of Microsoft Office while Outlook Express (aka OE) is part of Internet Explorer. The OE newsgroup will have many more experienced people for you to talk to. When you post to them, please include your OE version (Help, About). http://www.mi...

Seeking Outside Calendar to Share with Others
I have MS Outlook 2003. I have to set up appts each month with some of my clients during the first week on the month. I woud like to have a calendar like Yahoo or gMail that I can share, they can see the available times and sign up for an appt. I will then see it and add the appt to my Outlook calendar. Any have any suggestions? ...

Sharing mailbox stopped working (Outlook 2003)
For one user sharing has stopped working. When right-clicking, the Sharing line is grayed out. In Properties, there is no Permissions tab. When giving me mailbox rights in Exchange, I can set the permissions for him. It has worked before. I'm having a similar problem. Did you find a solution yet? "Ulf Tropp" wrote: > For one user sharing has stopped working. When right-clicking, > the Sharing line is grayed out. In Properties, there is no Permissions > tab. When giving me mailbox rights in Exchange, I can set the > permissions for him. It has worked before. &g...

Try security package from the M$
--exvtovhzavjf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="lbgaujqje"; type="multipart/alternative" --lbgaujqje Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="eypaxwokmowribgw" --eypaxwokmowribgw Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help protect your computer from these vulnerab...

I'm stumped about a formula
My husband has a propane business and wants me to make a budget plan fo his customers. I'm new at working with Excel and have tried everythin I know to do. What I want is for it to add the figures then make a estimate about what it would be for a monthly avarage for them to pay a budget). Can anyone help me with the formula I need t use??:confused: :confused: :confused Attachment filename: budget sheet.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=52750 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If it's just an average y...

Drive's display name
On my XP machine I have a DVD drive and a CD drive. Windows Explorer displays these as "DVD Drive (E:)" and "CD-RW Drive (F:)". When I try to use SHGetFileInfo and IShellFolder's GetDisplayNameOf(), both return "CD Drive (E:)" and "CD Drive (F:)". How can I get the display name that Windows Explorer uses? ...

M`I'5.Persec ution . wh y th e security services?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= -= why. the security services? -= -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= You may ask, why do I think the "they" referred to. are the security services? Is there any evidence that there is a single source, as. opposed to a loosely based "whispering. campaign" amongst many people? Even if there is a single. source, is there any evidence that "they" are professional "buggers" as opposed to amateurs, or perhaps people working. for a privately funded. organization? a). As to the question of a single source versus something more fr...

Sharing the Entourage calendar
Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there a way to automate it so that it saves and uploads to my website? On 7/6/04 11:03 pm, in article fc11fd4e.0406071403.192a07bf@posting.google.com, "Michel" <michel@neray.com> wrote: > Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my > assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web > function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there...

Share prices not updating
Trying to do my daily "internet update", money updates" and "Banks and brockerages" are both updating OK, but "share prices, etc" has not updated since 3rd April. Are others having this problem? How can I get the updating to work? Many thanks Gerald On 6 Apr, 09:47, coxwall <coxw...@waitrose.com> wrote: > Trying to do my daily "internet update", money updates" and "Banks and > brockerages" are both updating OK, but "share prices, etc" has not > updated since 3rd April. > > Are others having this prob...

sharing and exchanging modified reports
Is there a collection of modified reports somewhere that GP users can download and tweak. I'm sure the same or similar changes are being made independantly at quite a few different installed sites, it would be nice to have a common resource. Or do you need to be a MS Partner to be heavy into customizing reports? By the way, I've been to the Customer Source site and seen their modified reports, but I was thinking more of a user-contributed collection. What a great suggestion. You should reformulate this on the web site as a suggestion for Microsoft. "RG" <emai...

Something may be wrong with my Ram,motherboard,hard drive or whatnot? Help me =[
Alright when i start up my laptop it goes into the HP invent screen and shows the F keys at the bottom. Than after a little bit it goes onto the screen that has the blinking underscore (the blinking _ sign" than it just stays there... It makes these loud beeping noises than stops after a little bit. I don't know what to do and I REALLY don't want to take it to a professional for reasons i don't wish to say. Edit: I don't think that I have my system restore CD's as well, and I would love to keep my files. -- Aizen Also double kudos if someone ...

Sharing Outlook #4
Hi: I Have Outlook on 2 computers at home and would like them to share the same folders, so that when I open outlook on one computer it has all the mail received or sent on the other ... and vice versa. They did it at work but I don't know how to do it here. I'd like to do the same thing for the Outlook News reader too. thx wayne ...

Share Outlook 2000 Calendar without Exchange
Hi Please let me know if there is a way to Share Outlook 2000 Calendar without Exchange. The LAN i am working on has no internet connection and outlook will be used without mail, just for sharing Calendar information. There are third party applications that allow for sharing data when Exchange isn't an option. Here is a couple of links that might be helpful for your research. www.outlook4team.com http://www.outlookstore.us/ -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Paul Meyer" <anonymous@discussions...

sharing outlook on networked computers
Is there any software the will allow mulitpule users on the same outlook ? This would be for the entire outlook See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011477571033.aspx for an article by Outlook MVP Eric Legault on various ways to share Outlook data. YOu'll also find a list of third-party sharing tools and other information at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Tom" &l...

Shared calendar problem #2
Have a brand new Exchange 2003 server (only one server) working for one week All working fine - but today - when users are accessing shared calendar they get the 'unable to update free\busy information' error. This worked fine yesterday - and no changes have been made. They can view but can't edit the shared calendar This all worked fine on Exchange 5.5 before migration - the mail was imported back into their new Exchange 2003 via PST files Any ideas anyone ?? I'm Planning the same type of migration soon and have been doing some tests. I created and Mail Enabled an A...

Add/edit Hyperlink in shared excel workbook
I have a shared Excel work book containing many hyperlinks. The users add or edit the hyperlinks every time during the day. The problem is that in order to add or edit a hyperlink one has to take off the shared workbook. Can any one help me out here I want to share the file and add and edit the hyperlinks without kining out other users. Thanks sana This is from xl2002's help: Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks You can access the following features only if you stop sharing the workbook. ...... Insert or change hyperlinks Existing hyperlinks continue t...

Citizen Silhouette Eco-Drive Womens Watch EW8704-51D
Citizen Silhouette Eco-Drive Womens Watch EW8704-51D Discount Watches Site : http://www.hotwatch.org/ Citizen Silhouette Eco-Drive Womens Watch EW8704-51D Link : http://citizen.hotwatch.org/Citizen-EW8704-51D.html Citizen Silhouette Eco-Drive Womens Watch EW8704-51D Information : Brand : Citizen Watches ( http://citizen.hotwatch.org/ ) Gender : Ladies Code : Citizen-EW8704-51D Item Variations : EW8704-51D, EW870451D, EW8704, Citizen- EW8704-51D, Citizen-EW870451D Movement : Quartz Bezel : Crystal Case Material : Two-tone Stainless S...

Query about a formula I'm working on
I was wondering if it is possible to make this query less longwinded? =(IF(D17>0,(((A1-C17)/(A1/D17))+C17))+IF(E17>0,((A1-(((A1-C17)/(A1/D17))+C17))/(A1/E17))))+IF(F17>0,(A1-(((A1-C17)/(A1/D17)+((A1-(((A1-C17)/(A1/D17))+C17))/(A1/E17)))+C17))/(A1/F17)) A1= max value C17=base value D17,E17,F17= variable value's I've been working on the Value for a Calc for a game I've been playing lately. I'm using it to work out damage resistances but I feel the formula could be streamlined but for the life of me my brain has gone blank. Example: A1=100 C17 = 60 for arguments sak...

Does anyone have a Basketball stat sheet in Excel to share?
Does anyone have a Basketball stat sheet in Excel to share? I'd like to have a starter template. Thanks ...

Reinstall XP TCP/IP networking and file sharing
I have a couple computers where the registry was hacked and now TCP/IP and File/Printer sharing doesn't show up in the Network settings. All they have is "Client for Microsoft Networks". The typical fix for resetting TCP/IP doesn't even begin to touch this. Is there a set of instructions to completely reinstall networking on XP? -- You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. Trust yourself. spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)...

Save to network drive problems
User has a host of old documents done in Publisher 98. User currently is using Publisher 2002, SP3. She can save new documents to network but when she opens an old one and tries to Save As, even renaming the document, she gets an error saving to the K: drive saying that this is not a valid folder. Our identified workarounds are two: 1) open, copy/paste to new document, save to K:, OR 2) open, rename and save to desktop, copy back to K: drive Is there any reason why she cannot rename and simply save to the network drive? She is able to save other types of files (Word, Excel, etc) to this dr...

Vista indexing mapped drives
Hi, I am trying to add a network share to the locations that are indexed. i click 'Modify' and the 'Indexed Locations' window pops up, but at the bottom, 'show all locations' is greyed out. How can i index mapped drives? Thanks, Al On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:02:26 -0400, "AATech" <u2nyr@live.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am trying to add a network share to the locations that are indexed. i >click 'Modify' and the 'Indexed Locations' window pops up, but at the >bottom, 'show all locations' is greyed out...

Multi-User Excel File on a Network Drive
How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple users concurrently? With all able to make and save changes to the same file. Thanks, Mike "Mike" wrote > How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple > users concurrently? With all able to make and save > changes to the same file. Tools / Share Workbook Jordon ...