DNS Question - two Small Biz Domains on one subnet

Hello All,

I am working with a customer that has 2 Small Biz servers in the same
office. These are on 2 domains, but the same subnet. I am having trouble
getting mail to route between the 2 domains. Each is Small Biz server 2003.
Domain A has a public IP of 72.151.19.122 and an internal IP of
192.168.200.78. Domain B has a public IP of 72.151.19.123 and an internal IP
of 192.168.200.250. We are using a Netgear firewall and inbound and outbound
mail between each of these domains and the rest of the world works fine. They
just can't seem to talk to each other. I would think this would be a DNS
problem of some sort, but nothing I have tried so far seems to help.

I have tried creating a manual entry in DNS on each server using an MX
record that points to the internal IP of the other server. That didn't help.
I tried using the hosts file. I have also configured the external DNS servers
field to point to the correct ISP DNS servers. Still no luck. All mail for
the other domain just sits in the queue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

On each Exchange server (which is in its own AD Forest/Exchange
Organization), create a SMTP Connector for the address space of the other
domain. Setup the internal IP address (assuming they're behind the same
firewall) of the other server as a smarthost on that Connector.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Mike Miller" <MikeMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I am working with a customer that has 2 Small Biz servers in the same
> office. These are on 2 domains, but the same subnet. I am having trouble
> getting mail to route between the 2 domains. Each is Small Biz server
> 2003.
> Domain A has a public IP of 72.151.19.122 and an internal IP of
> 192.168.200.78. Domain B has a public IP of 72.151.19.123 and an internal
> IP
> of 192.168.200.250. We are using a Netgear firewall and inbound and
> outbound
> mail between each of these domains and the rest of the world works fine.
> They
> just can't seem to talk to each other. I would think this would be a DNS
> problem of some sort, but nothing I have tried so far seems to help.
>
> I have tried creating a manual entry in DNS on each server using an MX
> record that points to the internal IP of the other server. That didn't
> help.
> I tried using the hosts file. I have also configured the external DNS
> servers
> field to point to the correct ISP DNS servers. Still no luck. All mail for
> the other domain just sits in the queue.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

0
bharat3597 (1006)
11/13/2006 6:05:39 PM
Bharat - thank you. That worked out perfectly.

Mike

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

> On each Exchange server (which is in its own AD Forest/Exchange
> Organization), create a SMTP Connector for the address space of the other
> domain. Setup the internal IP address (assuming they're behind the same
> firewall) of the other server as a smarthost on that Connector.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "Mike Miller" <MikeMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am working with a customer that has 2 Small Biz servers in the same
> > office. These are on 2 domains, but the same subnet. I am having trouble
> > getting mail to route between the 2 domains. Each is Small Biz server
> > 2003.
> > Domain A has a public IP of 72.151.19.122 and an internal IP of
> > 192.168.200.78. Domain B has a public IP of 72.151.19.123 and an internal
> > IP
> > of 192.168.200.250. We are using a Netgear firewall and inbound and
> > outbound
> > mail between each of these domains and the rest of the world works fine.
> > They
> > just can't seem to talk to each other. I would think this would be a DNS
> > problem of some sort, but nothing I have tried so far seems to help.
> >
> > I have tried creating a manual entry in DNS on each server using an MX
> > record that points to the internal IP of the other server. That didn't
> > help.
> > I tried using the hosts file. I have also configured the external DNS
> > servers
> > field to point to the correct ISP DNS servers. Still no luck. All mail for
> > the other domain just sits in the queue.
> >
> > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Application works on one PC but not on another with same OS?
Hi, My application works OK on my PC (Windows 2000, latest server pack) but not on my colleague's (same OS and SP). One difference is that I have the .NET IDE installed on my machine, and he doesn't. I used to have the same problem on my machine. An error was generated because (IIRC) I was using an MFC string comparison method on a char array. This worked in my debug config., but not in the release config. I replaced the code with a strcmp method, and that fixed it on my machine, but not on his. Is there something I should update in his Window's installation when I install the ap...

problem with multiple SMTP domains in Exchange Server 2003
Hi there I have added a second SMTP domain to the Email Addresses (Policy) as follows: Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email Addresses (Policy) > New ... > SMTP Address > @xyz.com > (checked) This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery > to this address > Apply. When I do so, I no longer receive external emails on the first SMTP domain (@abc.com). Is this related to relay settings, or perhaps something else? Best regards Loane ...

Registry question
Hello Group, I have an application that saves some configuration data in the registry system (under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\MyApp\ConfData) of the currently logged on user. This way, every user who runs this app will have his own configuration data. When a user runs for the first time this app, the 'MyApp' registry key will be created along with all its subkeys. Now suppose we have 3 users and all of them have already used the app. We will then have the 'MyApp' subtree created for these 3 users. What I want to know is that when the PC admin wants to uninstall the app, how...

Question #3
Hi I have some data that I graph. Column A has a date [has data in 12 rows] Column B has a data entry (number) [has data in 1st 6 rows] Column C has a data entry (number) [has data in 1 st 6 rows] Column D has a formula that calculates a % on column B & C [formulas in 12 rows] The graph range I have covers the whole 12 rows but it seems to read the formulas in col D and plots every row Is there something I can add to my formula that stops the graph from plotting it unless there has been an answer returned in it? Formula I have is : =IF(B5+C5<1,"",(B5-C5)/B5) Thanks ...

2K7 question
Is there a way in E2K7 to make a particular message always send a message out in plain text format? Is that just an Outlook setting? Thanks! ...

Defrag question #3
I have a windows 2000 server that's a file/print server and Exchange 2000 also installed and running on the same box. I was wondering what is the best way if I want to run defrag and scandisk on the disk drive? I guess I'm asking because exchange is running on the box and I don't know if I run defrag and scandisk will I run into problems or cause the database problems. Thanks for your help. John In article <4D7A888F-B293-400C-A77C-DC379DDF4BDF@microsoft.com>, John@discussions.microsoft.com says... > I have a windows 2000 server that's a file/print server and Ex...

Message Stuck in Outbox to Only One Particular Email Address
Hi: I have Outlook 2007 and have been using it for about 2 months or so. I have encountered a problem with sending emails. I have sent emails to a particular email address (WinTips-Tricks@yahoogroups.com ) and the emails get stuck in the outbox. The CPU usage is very high (about 76%) and the taskbar icon flashes furiously. If I look in the outbox, the email is also doing a staccato flash. At the bottom of Outlook the send says complete, yet the flashing taskbar icon, and flashing email in the outbox remain. After awhile (about 2-3 minutes) this stops, but the email remains in the outbox....

Question about Application behaviour,...
Hi, i have a simple MFC Application, that shows me the System Memory Usage. But after a while the Applications GDI Objects Count grows to something about >8.000 GDI Objects and its Virtual Memory (not much but step by step too) in less than 5 Minutes. I can see with ProcessExplorer that the application does have a high count of page faults. I cant figure out why! The System then starts to react slowly. The Timer invokes every seconds the member function with the code following this text, sets the Position on a progress bar control and raws a transparent text on the surface of the prog...

ADMT Tool Question
I'm trying to run this tool without success from a Windows 2003 native domain to extract accounts from an NT4 domain. Is this possible? Windows 2003 server Domain: Windows 2003 native mode Forest: Windows 2000 NT4 server sp6a http://www.petri.co.il/active_directory_migration_tool_usage_nt_windows_2003.htm "bobs" <myname@yourdomain.com> wrote in message news:e27m%23Km4FHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I'm trying to run this tool without success from a Windows 2003 native > domain to extract accounts from an NT4 domain. Is this possible? > > Window...

update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file
I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file, including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have a few questions: Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!) I did search the web some and found the following that looks interesting: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadI...

2008 SBS questions... 07-04-10
I am trying to get a 2008 sbs running as efficiently as I can & was wondering about a couple of things. 1) I know it wants to be the DHCP server on a network, but what about for wireless clients? I have a wireless sonicwall TZ-170 for wireless laptops to connect to. They really don't need network access, just internet, so can I leave this running, as long as the addresses it hands out aren't in my same network? 2) Although the bought an SBS, the customer is not & probably won't be running exchange for a while. Can I remove exchange all together? I really see no rea...

Query emails coming to a specific domain
Hello; We have about 5 domains on our exchange server that we receive email from. We are in the process of not renewing one of our domains but would like to check to see if email from that domain is still coming through. Is there any way to do that? I tried the Message Tracking Center with the *.domain.com but it didn't like that. It wanted a specific user. Thanks Check SMTP logs as well. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- <nospam@newsgroup.com> wrote in message news:...

Simple Cash Flow Small business
I have a small janitorial business with recurring jobs w/the same clients. I want something simple & very inexpensive to keep track. Ideas? ...

Two messages at no data in a report
I have a form with a Click-Buttom for opening a report. In the design mode of the report I have used "At no data" and there included a Messega Box saying "Sorry-there is no data in this report". When having no data i the report and clicking on my buttom in the form I will hav 2 messages. The first one is from my message box "Sorry ...." The second one is from the error handling for the buttom saying "Instructio Open report cancelled" (Translated from Swedish "Instruktionen PoenReport avbröts). A part of the error code for the buttom is...

DNS Question
Hello All, I am working with a customer that has 2 Small Biz servers in the same office. These are on 2 domains, but the same subnet. I am having trouble getting mail to route between the 2 domains. Each is Small Biz server 2003. Domain A has a public IP of 72.151.19.122 and an internal IP of 192.168.200.78. Domain B has a public IP of 72.151.19.123 and an internal IP of 192.168.200.250. We are using a Netgear firewall and inbound and outbound mail between each of these domains and the rest of the world works fine. They just can't seem to talk to each other. I would think this woul...

I'm looking for a community just like this one but for Entourge?
I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just like this one. Thank you. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage Gilbert wrote: > I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft > Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just > like this one. Thank you. Thank you very much Bob. "Bob I" wrote: > http://www.micros...

How to share info from one file to another?
I am wondering how I can share something perhaps from a cell of "file 1 to "file 2." I am familiar with how to do it from worksheet t worksheet within a single file. From what I have heard I know that i can be done but both files have to be located in the same folder. Correct me if I am wrong and please tell me briefly how it can be done I appologize if this is a newbie question. Thanks Chip Carlto -- ChipCarlto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ChipCarlton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

Multi-language support question
We have an MFC application that uses ADO, ATL components to communicate with a SQL Server 2000 database. Our application is currently English only and we are making the conversion to support multiple languages. The text in the application is read in from a table so translating the text itself won't be a big deal programmatically. The text is loaded at log in and we can just autoswitch to the appropriate data based upon who the user is. My concerns are with different character sets, how the different languages impact the OS (how we set the character set in the OS automatically)...

Question re:clustered column w/3D visual effect
I have Excel 2003 Why wont the 3D chart allow you to drag it more open? There is a large open area between the left side and the axis that looks jerky :) In a plain clustered column chart you can click inside to make the frame appear and drag it larger or smaller as you desire. In the 3D, clicking only allows you to change the angles of the 3D box. Am I missing something? thanks, Meenie This should be a hint to avoid the 3D effects. 3D charts are inflexible, but more important, the 3D effects mask the information in the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc....

enter-key works with two inputboxes but not with olny one.
Hi, There is a form with two inputboxes and a submit button.The focus is on the first inputbox. When the user presses the enter-key without having entered some text, the javascript message "wrong text" appears. This works. But if i remove the second inputbox, leaving only the first inputbox and the submit button, pressing the enter-key without any text does not show the javascript message. Nothing happens. The focus remains in the inputbox. You can see the page is postbacked, but that's all. Why does it work with two inputboxes and not with one? And how to fix...

Saving one page -- as Template?
Therre are several pages in a 40-page booklet I want to save to use in future editions. Is there a method to save these pages for re-us? Or must I save the entire publication as a Template? Can I copy single pages and paste in another .pub file? Save the entire document and delete out the pages you don't want. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "cuig" <cuig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16052168-6085-43D0-AD8B-2CF4839933FC@microsoft.com... > Therre are several pages in...

Question about CRM and Great Plains Integration
Can I create invoice when I invoice a contract in CRM and then show the record in the Great Plains ? Thanks in advance ...

Check box question 04-23-07
I have a form with a check box used to indicate if a receipt is voided or not. What I'm trying to do is go to a new record after the checkbox is marked. I have the following code in place and it works. Kinda. The problem is that if I then go back and UNCHECK the check box, it sends me to a new record again. Here's the code: Private Sub Check43_AfterUpdate() If Ckeck43 = Yes Then DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Thanks for any help! End Sub The following works fine for me. If Me.Check3 = True Then DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec so try If Ckeck43 = True Then DoCmd.GoToRecor...

CHtmlView question #3
Is there an easy way to get the source of the HTML document? On MSDN online, there's a GetSource(CString& str) listed but that's apparently not implemented in VC++ 6.0. ...

A simple mail merge question
How do you change the return address on envelops printed using mail merge? I don't understand the question. The return address will be whatever you tell it to be when you set up your merge document. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Nina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b16b01c3ec17$335b99f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do you change the return address on envelops printed > using mail merge? ...