Disappearing Mail in Cached Mode

I have a problem at a client that I've seen described in these groups but
never finally solved.

The problem is that one user (only) receives mail from 2 internal scanners
through SMTP into .  All email from those two addresses is visible in OWA
and in Outlook as long as the Outlook is not in Cached Exchange Mode.  If an
Outlook 2003 client is started for this user's mailbox with Cached Exchange
Mode enabled, the messages form those two email addresses only never appear
in that copy of Outlook and disappear from the OWA and non-cached Outlook
clients as soon as the cached Outlook 2003 client does its synch of the
InBox.

Messages from all other internal and external addresses are fine.

The messages come from scanners that are on the same network segment as the
server and the client PC and are presented with a From address that's in the
same domain as the one the server is authoritative for default recipient
policy.  The SMTP server log always shows the messages coming in and being
accepted.

The environment is Server 2003 SBS SP1 with all patches, Exchange 2003 SP2
with all other updates, and Office/Outlook 2003 SP2 also with all updates.
The SMTP service is the one on the Svr2003SBS/Ex2003 server.

For troubleshooting beyond the setup above, I've:
- checked the Synch Issues folders on the Outlook 2003 client.  Never
anything there.
- run scanost on the OST file.  No problems.
- disabled cached mode in the Outlook 2003 client profile, deleted the OST
and OAB files in the profile folder, run Outlook in non-cached mode (and got
the messages OK), then re-enabled cached mode (messages disappear).
- Deleted the whole mail profiles in Control Panel/Mail (plus deleted the
OST/OAB files) and rebuilt a new one with the same profile name.  No change.
- Repeated the step above but with a new profile name.  No change.
- Checked client and server-side rules.  None.
- Found no relevant errors in event logs on either the Outlook client PC or
the SBS/Exchange server.

I have the user running in non-cached mode now, but would prefer to convert
him back.

Would love to have a hint from someone.

Thanks.
DD

Have posted on this a couple of different times but haven't received any