disappearing emails - exchange 2003

Hi all,

I have Exchange 2003 running on a Windows 2000 SP4 server with all the latest
hotfixes.  I'm having a really strange issue where emails sent to a certain user
(actually a Domain Admin, my boss!) seem to vanish.  It seems to have to do with
the content of the message, as it doesn't happen to all messages, whether the
message is sent by SMTP or MAPI.  I've had the user disconnect from Outlook and
use Outlook Web Access only, to make sure it isn't some kind of MAPI issue, but
it doesn't help.  I've also rebooted the server.

For instance, I have a certain email with 2 different Word attachments that I
can forward to the user via Outlook or OWA (from many different computers) until
I'm blue in the face and the message will not appear in his inbox no matter how
I do it.  If I send it via SMTP from another external mail account the Exchange
server will reply "Message accepted for delivery" in the SMTP session and that's
the end of it.  I can forward the same message to other users on the server with
no problems.  I don't see anything wrong in the logs and it doesn't appear to
happen to other users, though it might.  The user is nowhere near his mailbox
size limit.

What I should I do?

thanks
Karnov

0
karnov (16)

ps - there are no messages stuck in the queues

In article <96185358.00000a88.027@drn.newsguy.com>, Karnov says...

>Hi all,
>
>I have Exchange 2003 running on a Windows 2000 SP4 server with all the latest
>hotfixes.  I'm having a really strange issue where emails sent to a certain user
>(actually a Domain Admin, my boss!) seem to vanish.  It seems to have to do with
>the content of the message, as it doesn't happen to all messages, whether the
>message is sent by SMTP or MAPI.  I've had the user disconnect from Outlook and
>use Outlook Web Access only, to make sure it isn't some kind of MAPI issue, but
>it doesn't help.  I've also rebooted the server.
>
>For instance, I have a certain email with 2 different Word attachments that I
>can forward to the user via Outlook or OWA (from many different computers) until
>I'm blue in the face and the message will not appear in his inbox no matter how
>I do it.  If I send it via SMTP from another external mail account the Exchange
>server will reply "Message accepted for delivery" in the SMTP session and that's
>the end of it.  I can forward the same message to other users on the server with
>no problems.  I don't see anything wrong in the logs and it doesn't appear to
>happen to other users, though it might.  The user is nowhere near his mailbox
>size limit.
>
>What I should I do?
>
>thanks
>Karnov

0
karnov (16)
6/2/2004 2:14:40 PM
All,

I figured it out.  The user had a rule setup that moved messages with
'marketing' in the body to an obscure subfolder of his Inbox.  Our new .sig
files all have 'marketing' in them so they were being redirected to that folder.

Karnov

0
karnov (16)

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Exchange update problem

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup

Outlook 2003

hyperlinking email addresses

DNS Error on Exchange

Import from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003

Exchange 2007 across account search

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Incoming email slow to come in

Exchange clusters
Hello Everyone, I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers. I am going to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3. Which cluster do I install it on first? The active cluster or the passive cluster? Thank you, Most appreciative, Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes? If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the passive node will become the active node. So, it's clear that you should install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive node (which was formerly the active node). -- Ed Crow...

Is there a way to schedule a email to send out at a certain time?
I tried delay the mail, but the sent hour is not right. For example, the email should go out at 8am, but the sent time is 5:30pm which should be 8am also. Please help! "Grace" <Grace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1395D87B-2982-4800-8522-165781125E6A@microsoft.com... >I tried delay the mail, but the sent hour is not right. > For example, the email should go out at 8am, but the sent time is 5:30pm > which should be 8am also. Please help! The Sent time and the delivery time are completely separate. The Sent time that people will see w...

Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003
Hi, I just recently exmeged all my exchange 5.5 mail accounts,shutdown and removed my exchange 5.5 server, then installed exchange 2003 in a new administrative site. Then I mail enabled all the the users that have pst files and exmerged the pst files back into exchange 2003. Created a dns alias from the old server to the new one. My problems is that outlook 2003 clients that have the old exchange5.5 profile cannot connect to the exchange 2003 server (even with a dns alias). Is there a registry hack/modification to change the old settings to the new server? thx jason Use the ExProfRe to...

Exchange Message Archive/Availability
I have Exchange 5.5 currently. I've posted a few messages this morning on store limits. Thanks for the replies! This quetion is a geared a bit differently. Our users receive a lot of email that they want to retain, but business-wise it does not belong in their mailbox. Meaning, its an email that other people in the organization should have access to. A quick example of this would be a customer service rep receiving an email PO. This may be an attachment or it may be just in the body of the email. Currently, this rep creates a folder in their mailbox called customer A and retains the email...

[Exchange 5.5]: Orphaned Object ODN
Dear All, I would like to check ODN of a object which is replicated from another server. I can't check same on originating server as it has been deleted over there and shows orphaned object on my server. Thanks in advance. Regards, Dhananjay ...