Demote DC from Exchange Server

Hi,

I have a Domain Controller running Exchange 2003 in it and another DC.
Anyone have experience demoting a DC from Exchange Server?

Pls advise.

Thanks,
Gabriel

0
glchua (2)

Running dcpromo on a combined E2K3 / DC box is not supported:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179

Your best bet is to build another temporary E2K3 box, move the resources to
it, trash the old box and rebuild solely as an E2K3 box, then move
everything back.  Oh, and you'd then be best off with 1 more DC/GC for
resilience.

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

"Gabriel Chua" <glchua@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Domain Controller running Exchange 2003 in it and another DC.
> Anyone have experience demoting a DC from Exchange Server?
>
> Pls advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel

0
neil.hobson (1158)

exchange 2003 event id 9175
hi, i have a windows 2003 server and it's also running exchange 2003 standard server, in the past week, the server keep reporting the following error in the application log in every single minute, i following the suggestion from knowledge base(262456), i can re-start the exchange information store every time(no error or problem) and the email is running again for another hour before those error comes back again, anyone one know what causing it? any help is appreciated. sam. Event Type: Error >Event Source: MSExchangeSA >Event Category: MAPI Session >Event ID: 9175 >...

OWA does not work after upgrade to Exchange 2003
Hello all, I'm currently upgrading our excisting Exchange 5.5 ORG to Exchange 2003. The method chosen is implace upgrade. We have 35 sites world-wide. I'm experiencing the same problem in both sites who have been migrated thusfar. When I try to access OWA through http://FQDN/exchange, I get to authenticate but then only a shell of the OWA is loaded and the graphical icons are missing. At the same time a "loading..." message is displayed. I've checked the knowledge base and I find 2 articles (207655 and 290177) for this when you are behind a proxy 2.0. We are us...

Monitoring Exchange Mailbox stores.
Hello, Does any one have a script to monitor the mailbox stores availability? We would like to be notified when the stores go down. yes, it's nice to know when db's dismount. 3rd party tools will do this but cost $$$$$ We've take the poor man approach: Exchange servers will throw and event when db's dismount. Scape the application event log for this event and fire an alert. We use What's Up Gold to check the Ex app log for a dismount event and fire an alert. Other low cost monitoring tools are capable of scaping event logs and firing an alerts too. "xmis1"...

CRM Exchange-email router
I have so far successfully installed CRM server. However, when I try to install CRM Exchange Email router I get; "One or more of the CRM servers you listed is invalid or you do not have administrative privileges on that server. Make sure all servers are running properly and try again." I am logged on as Administrator. Can anyone help? There are a few KB Articles regarding this in the knowledge base on customer source and partner source if you have access to those? "Ashley Willings DPS" wrote: > I have so far successfully installed CRM server. However, when ...

Replacing our Server running W2K AS/Exchange 5.5 with our 2 new servers running W2K3S.
Our current network has one of the server running Windows 2000 Advance Server with Active Directory and Exchange Server 5.5 installed on it. We are about to replaced them with two servers, one running Windows Server 2003 with Active Directory and acting as the Domain Controller and the other one also is running W2kS3 with Exchange Server 2003 installed on it. These 2 new servers are running on a private network and our plan is to unplug the current server (W2K AS with Exchange Server 5.5) and replace them with the new 2 servers. We have tested the 2 servers and are working fine, but our conce...

Exchange 2000 Default mailbox size
Hi to all! I'm auditing every mailbox in our Organization all is set to default limit size. I'd like to know is how much is the size in MB for a default mailbox size in Exchange 2000. Thanks in Advanced. Emslan Hi Emslan, There is no default limit for mailbox size, you need to set this limit. Also Exchange 2000 does not set any Default message size limits (Send & Receieve), as Exchange 2003 now does. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "emslan" <emslan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Sending from ssecond domain....virtual server?
***Question: I have exchange 2k3 with 2 domains setup, 123.com & abc.com. My default domain is 123.com, I want to be able to send and receive as abc.com as well. I cannot find this info nowhere. Answer: You can enable that in the Service Mgr by adding in a second Virtual SMTP server Does the above really work? I was under the impression you can only SEND from a primary email address and that to configure a second domain to be able to send from it as well you have to either make 2 mailboxes or fake a smtp account. Is there a simplier way to have outlook users send from muliple outgo...

Exchange Best Practice tool
Just ran the best practice tool And have one critical issue: Policy Change Required: The active Directory forest level functionality has been raised. A modification to the system is required to avoid automatic rehoming of new mailboxes. If I click tell me more it takes me here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Analyzer/e20e1769-9c10-45d0-a81f-fc5be4bedf45.mspx my question is do I need to change the filter at all or do I just copy and replace the existing one. (step 6 romualdt <do_not_email_me@anywhere.com> wrote: > >Just ran the best practice tool And...

'Access Denied' error during storage group restore on Exchange 2000 server
Does anyone know why this might be occuring? I have built a copy of our W2k Exchange 2000 server in a lab partly to perform a disaster recovery test and partly to restore a mailbox from tape from storage group 1 (we do not backup individual mailboxes, and to restore one we need to restore the storage group and pluck out the mailbox using Power Controls). It is a rough copy (running different hardware and has different disk sizes and letters). I brought it on to the domain by using DCPromo off a PDC copy in the lab (built from a hard disk off a domain PDC). After that I ran setup / forestprep a...

Adding a first 2008 R2 64 bit DC into 2003 R2 Domain
Hello, A very similar question has been recently posted, but my situation is a bit different. I have only one domain with two 2003 R2 DC (replication). We want to get better hardware and centralize all (Virtualisation + Remote Desktop). All virtual Servers are 2008 R2 64 bit and one of them will be promoted as DC that I want to include in the current domain. I suppose that the replication will then automatically happen, from the 2003 R2 DC. The current system should not be disturbed with this add. A new version of a strategic application will be installed and tested on ...

URGENT!!!!! EXCHANGE POP3
Hi I hope someone can help me, I nedd to know how to configure exchange to accept Pop3. I have enabled the Pop3 server, but what else? If u have FE/BE configuration you have to start pop3 service on both FE and BE servers. -- Regards, Sasa Milovanovic MCSE:Messaging sasa.milovanovic(at)exchangemaster.net "lmelm" <lmelm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C95BFC31-B83D-4895-9D6A-8DCBD13AF799@microsoft.com... > Hi > I hope someone can help me, I nedd to know how to configure exchange to > accept Pop3. I have enabled the Pop3 server, but what else? ...

NT4/Exchange 5.0 migration to 2003
Is there a NG for windows2003 server issues?  I sure can't find one... I am currently supporting a NT4.0 legacy domain.  I am building a new Windows2003 server with Exchange 2003 that will eventually replace the existing domain.  A key requirement is that replacement server development does not impact our production network. When I created the active directory on the new server, none of the choices seemed appropriate.  So I took the standalone domain...

Exchange Domain issue
Hi, I have a domain in windows 2003 named "abc.com" which has a AD and DNS itself inside my company,all the users are logging to this domain,but my email and wesite is as "xyz.com" which is outside our network.Now we are planning to install a new server with exhange 2003 inside our network,can anybody tell what is the best way to install exchange. I planned to install the exchange as member server of the domain abc.com as mail.abc.com but when i told my ISP to route the mx record to my mail server inside the company ,they told that our server configuration is not correct. ...

hotmail account directed to exchange
hi, couple of questions: is it possible to create just a mailbox in exchange with no user in AD? is it possible to divert Hotmail or any POP emails to exchange for a user? if so how can this be achieved please. thanks guys. Z In news:1168033276.868523.286650@i15g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, mcp <zafarhussain@blueyonder.co.uk> typed: > hi, > > couple of questions: > > is it possible to create just a mailbox in exchange with no user in > AD? No - a mailbox is "part" of a user account. > > is it possible to divert Hotmail or any POP emails to exchang...

Exporting a DL in Exchange 2000
how to export a distribution list in exchange 2000 to a text, or word file. I am running office XP. I've written a script to dump all group members to a text file at the link below. You can modify this to suit your needs. http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/08/dumping_group_m.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eefc01c43d60$5d218890$a601280a@phx.gbl... > how to export a distribution list in exchange 2000 to a > text, or word file. I am...

Problems with Exchange in a clustered configuration
We have Exchange configured in an active-passive configuration. We have problems failing over the resources to the passive node. I'll move the resources in clusadmin and it appears that the resources moved fine. About 10 minutes later, it'll try to move the resources back and half the resource group will be on one node, while the group with be on another. The only thing That seems to prevent the failover is that the "Exchange HTTP Virtual Server Instance" and some point fails. At least this is the only thing reported in the System log. Event ID 1069. Anyone see...

Exchange unable to create mailboxes
After installing Exchange 2003 as the first installation in a Windows 2003 Domain, I was able to create mailboxes in Active Directory using Active Directory Users and Computers. However, when I open up System Manager and browse to First Storage Group\Mailbox Store\Mailboxes, it only lists the default system mailboxes and not the ones which were just created. When I tried to set up the Outlook client to send and receive mail using one of the newly created accounts, I get the error message that windows cannot locate the default mailbox store and will have to store messages locally. Has...

exchange.domain.local question
hi our exchange and dns server has FQDN of exchange.domainX.local so if I send you an e-mail and look at it's detail information you will see Received: from exchange.domainX.local but to reply to me you will use me@domainX.com So I started getting permission errors from certain receipients containing this: "fix your HELO string per RFC 2821" The problem was my exchange server appeared to be spoofing it's name to .com where as it was .local So I went to Exchange/SystemManager/Virtual SMTP server and renamed FQDN to exchange.domainX.com, but even though it allowed me t...

throttling exchange...
I would like to implement some sort of bandwidth throttling. As our company database is running on our exchange server (less than ideal I know but it has to be that way for the time being), when a massive tif file gets sent in via email (often 20-30mb in size), any website database requests get timed out. I have been fiddling with Bandwidth Controller (www.bandwidthcontroller.com) and have as yet been unsuccessful. We are only on a ADSL 512k line and I'd like to keep 100k/s of that reserved for a certain port, with the rest being contended by all our other services. Is this possible with...

Exchange connector 08-25-05
We moved our CRM deployment from one server to another server. Everything works well except the routing of the e-mails. The exchange connector is installed without problems. Mails however are not send and creates (unexpected) errors on the client. In KB861418, MS states that The Microsoft CRM Exchange E-mail Router is designed to work with one Microsoft CRM Server installation. During the installation process, you can add more than one Microsoft CRM Server in the wizard, but the router will only send e-mails to the first Microsoft CRM Server that is available. We never moved the CRM f...

outgoing mail size limits on exchange 5.5
i am wondering how can i set outgoing limit size and how can i write a record to log when a outgoing mail is over the limit You can limit this on a per mailbox basis only. As far as logging, you may be able to scrape events from the application event logs, but you may need to tweek up diagnostic logging on the IS first. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "guangtutou" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B993FA6-3BE8-46DB-9B93-AC3C1620A6E7@microsoft.com... > i am wondering how can i set outgoing limit...

E2K on W2K Server and AOL
Hi Folks I recently updated to E2K SP3, since then I can no longer send emails to anyone at AOL. I don't have any special limits etc in place and I can't findout why this is happening. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Liege Liege wrote: > Hi Folks > > I recently updated to E2K SP3, since then I can no longer send emails to > anyone at AOL. I don't have any special limits etc in place and I can't > findout why this is happening. > > Any help would be appreciated. > > Regards > > Liege Check www.dnsreport.com to make sure that y...

SOAP Server Application Faulted in the ExecuteQuery
Hi there, I have modified one aspx to retrieve the 'name' of the account entity but the aspx fails when the Execute Query is launched. Where is the error? Can I add the 'strAccountId' variable in the queryXml stringBuilder? <% // strServer should be set with the name of the platform Web server string strServer = "servername"; // virtualDirectory should be set with the name of the Microsoft CRM // virtual directory on the platform Web server string virtualDirectory = "mscrmservices"; string strDir = "http://" + strServer + "/" ...

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB970895) 11-23-09
I am unable to download or install this update; Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB970895). The error message is (733F, unknown error). Tried to reinstall, restarting then tried again, no go. Thanks in advance. Model: HP HDX-HP X16-1044nr 64 Bit System Vista (cross-post added to SQL Setup) "CBear" <CBear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8106DA8D-1AE6-4AB6-8402-7F3C3C4F32DE@microsoft.com... >I am unable to download or install this update; Security Update for SQL > Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB970895). > The er...

exchange 2003 replication ..
I hv done Exchange migration to new h/w successfully ,,thanks to group Would like to know few more things! Is there any way to make my exchange 2003 as redundant one? All the data, transaction logs, data store should get replicate to another server in back end ,,if one goes down another can come up automatically?. ignoring all this longtime restores and downtime! Please advise how can I achieve this? Is there any third party solution for my scenario? Thanks & Regards Nothing native for Exchange Server 2003 - you'd have to take a look at 3rd-party tools like Double-Take. Exc...