Demote DC from Exchange Server

Hi,

I have a Domain Controller running Exchange 2003 in it and another DC.
Anyone have experience demoting a DC from Exchange Server?

Pls advise.

Thanks,
Gabriel

0
glchua (2)

Running dcpromo on a combined E2K3 / DC box is not supported:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179

Your best bet is to build another temporary E2K3 box, move the resources to
it, trash the old box and rebuild solely as an E2K3 box, then move
everything back.  Oh, and you'd then be best off with 1 more DC/GC for
resilience.

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

"Gabriel Chua" <glchua@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Domain Controller running Exchange 2003 in it and another DC.
> Anyone have experience demoting a DC from Exchange Server?
>
> Pls advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel

0
neil.hobson (1158)

Hosted Exchange
We have just signed up with a hosted exchange through GoDaddy. The mailboxes are set up, but we are having trouble seeing each other's (2 of us) computers. Periodically, I am getting an error message that says : Task 'jan@greenwaldlaw.org (1)' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.' GoDaddy says it's an Outlook issue. Hopefully someone in this group has an answer for me. I don't know what the error code means, so I don't know what to try to do to correct it. It's a problem with your offline address book. See ...

Uninstall exchange from cluster
I have been already uninsatll exchange2003 server from 2 node cluster and it successfully uninstalled, but the problem is that the exchange virtual server still appeared on the exchange system manager servers list!!! and still appeared in the connectors list as a member!! please help ...

Missing emails from Outlook XP Exchange 5.5
I have a user that had approximately 300 emails and 100 contacts in his Outlook and they suddenly dissapeared on him after uninstalling Mcafee internet security 6. The strange thing is it did not delete ALL his email or All his contacts, there were 8 emails left in the box and 2 contacts left. Since he is on a laptop, I tried to work offline and see if they were in his .ost, but its the same thing. The strange thing is, his .ost is about 130mb, and when I look at his mailbox properties, it only shows about 60 mb in size. Also, on the exchange server, his mailbox resources show to be about 80mb...

Exchange 2007 Evaluation version #2

Permissions on Exchange 2000 distribution lists
How do we stop external mail being sent to a distribution list. We have a list setup with all email accounts in it for the organisation and it has been spamed recently. Is there a permission we can set to stop external mail from getting to it. We have setup in the exchange admin console to only receive emials from the distribution name. Is that enough and will it stop external emails getting to the list or will it stop all external mail going to people who's names are on the list. thanks -- Kath From Exchange General tab of the DL set it to accept msgs from authenticated users...

Hosted Exchange Offline Address Book Creation Issues
We have a hosted Exchange 2003 setup with documentation from MS. We are hosting multiple/separate companies. We are having an issue where the Offline Address Book (OAB) is not using the Global Address List (GAL) that it is pointed at to create itself. In our Exchange 2003 org, we have created an Address List, GAL, and OAB for each company that we host. The Default Address List, GAL, and OAB have been deleted. The Address List and GAL seem to be generated correctly, but the OAB is always using one company's GAL for all hosted companies even though each companies OAB is set to use the G...

Exchange calendar
I would like to know is it possible to add my Company's holidays on exchange 5.5 calendar at the server level so that everyone in the company can find? ray3d84 This would be a job for the Public Folders section. Very easy to do. Create a calendar folder in the Public Folders, set permissions on the folder and add dates to it. Now, everyone with permissions can see it and only those with edit permissions can change it. "ray3d" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:013a01c3cf00$7786d2e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to know is it possibl...

Resource Room booking
Resource Room booking - Exchange 2003. Is it possible to set room booking with Private Flag checked by default? Users forgot to book with Private Flag today. Meeting room is a mailbox-enabled user account, without Auto Accecpt Agent. The goal is that only meeting attendes could see the agenda. Is there any third party sw who can fix this? Fred ...

Outlook to exchange 2003 problem #2
Hi. I've just finished installing Exchange 2003 server but have a problem connecting outlook from a client pc to the exchange server. OWA is working fine. I get the following msg. when I configure the exchange properties in outlook when I do check name. "The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed." I've had a look at the microsoft knowledge base but found very little info on this. Has anyone had this problem? I'm sure I'm just forgetting some configuration. Plz any ideas? JB "Cyber-Guy" <cyber-guy@netmadeira.com> wrote...

OL2003 "your microsoft exchange server is unavailable"
I just upgraded from Office XP to Office 2003 Pro (OS WinXP). I attempt to launch Outlook and receive "your microsoft exchange server is unavailable". I can ping the server attach to the WEB based exchange client (the same machine), also I can log on locally to the server, and map drives to it - so there is network connectivity. However, neither outlook will nor the mail configuration on control panel will log into the exchange server. ...

Manually removing an Exchange 2K Installation
I have two mailboxes in a Mailstore that will not delete or move. I need to remove this Exchange Server from my organization, and I've read the XADM article on how to manually remove it. (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=260378) The editing of registry keys and the warning that states I may need to reinstall Windows and Exchange in my organization if something is modified incorrectly frightens me. Is there any way around this? Anyway to get rid of these mailboxes that will not remove themselves? Please tell me there is another way! Thanks! Doreen ...

a few basic Exchange 2003 questions
Hello all, I have been given the responsibility of implementing Exchange 2003 for our company in March this year. I will be going on a five day training course soon and have been doing some reading - I also have experience in the administration (not installation/configuration) of Exchange 2000 some years ago. There are a few questions I would like to ask, if anyone can answer them of the top of their heads. 1. what is the basic capacity of a single Exchange 2003 Standard - I'm thinking it can cope with about 500-2500 mailboxes/users 2. can the OWA part of it use pass-through authentifi...

Exchange 5.5 migration to exchange 2003
In the process of starting to move users mailboxes over to new Exchange 2003 server. Some of the users after being moved cant receive emails from users still on the old Exchange 5.5 server, but can receive from any user that is on the new Exchange 2003 server. Also happens when new users are created on the new Exchange 2003 server. Email comes back as system undeliverable. Can 5.5 users see the E2K3 users (more importantly the new E2K3 users) in the GAL? What is the NDR? Usualy this happens because the 5.5 Recipient information has not been populated in the AD. Is there a 2-way Re...

Exchange 20003/NTBackup:Only restores most recent backup?
I'm using NTbackup on Exchange 2003, running on a W2k Server. Using backup, choosing exchange server>information store, I am able to do a backup and restore. But this only seems to work for the most recent backup. When I try to restore an older backup (and by older, I mean minutes or hours older, I'm just testing at this point) the restore process itself doesn't report any errors, but the databases won't mount. I'd like to be able to keep backup copies going back to several points in time. Is this possible? Should I be backing up and replacing more than just the infor...

Outlook/Exchange 2003: huge emails to multiple people
Over the weekend, our site went a little haywire and the normal flow of error emails quintupled, and each email was in the range of 1M to 12M in size. I came in this morning to find 7 GIG of new mail in my mailbox and a nastygram from our IT department saying "Clean out your email, deadbeat." Just out of curiosity, when an email is sent to a distribution list (let's say 30 people in the list), is only one copy saved and everyone gets a pointer to the actual email, or does it make 30 copies of each email and put one in each person's box? Because of the nastygram, I'm as...

Exchange DR, what to do
Hello been asked to develop DR (DR as in an entire site being wiped out) plans for our organisations Exchange environment. We have two-node exchange clusters at siteA and at siteB. We have a separate DR site with a newly installed DC, and a standby Exchange Server. I originally had the idea of the following 1. in the event of a disaster, on the DR DC, seize all the FSMO roles 2. setup blank databases on the DR exchange server, use some script to set the homemdb, homemta, msexchhomeserver attributes to point at the DR server 3. users then (after rejigging their outlook profile) then open outl...

Removing an offline server from an exchange 5.5 site
Does anyone know how to remove an offline server from an exchange site? I need to remove an old server and cannot bring it back up to remove the server from exchange 5.5, is there another way to remove the server? Ste On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:16:48 +0100, "Ste" <stephenbrandley@hotmail.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to remove an offline server from an exchange site? >I need to remove an old server and cannot bring it back up to remove the >server from exchange 5.5, is there another way to remove the server? > >Ste > Highlight it in the Exchange Admin G...

Exchange connector issues -- incoming emails missing body
I have the CRM Exchange router up and running, however, I do have an issue with it. All incoming emails that are routed to crm are missing the body of the email. This happens for both new emails sent from a customer and replies to emails that originated in crm. Has anyone heard of this issue before? Do I have the Exchange router or Exchange configured incorrectly? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks for your help. Drew Schaeffer Drew, I had that happen to me the first time we installed 1.0, but I haven't seen it in 1.2. Very strange. We also noticed that if we forwarded one of...

MS06-019 on Exchange 2000 Server Questions
OK here are my questions in regards to after I apply patch MS06-019. 1) in regards to granting send-as permissions I went into AD U&C and went to the users who are BlackBerry users and went to the Security Tab. What service account do I grant send/as permission to? I don't see a BES Service account assigned to these users. Do I grant this permission to Exchange Enterprise Server Service account for each user? 2) Domain Admininstrator has rights for each user in the security tab even though they are not granted DA rights in their group membership. Is this of issue? 3) Ha...

server 2003 standard
help please. i bought window server 2003 standard from a reputable company online, the package came in with 3cds, the first two are window server 2 cds and the 3rd says oem. how can i install this. i put the first cd for wind server 2003 wchis disk 1 but my computer did not read it. If the company is reputable then you should be able to contact them and they'll help you resolve the media issue. -Cliff "stap" <stap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:613754C3-F86E-4ED4-900D-89DD338567DE@microsoft.com... > help please. i bought window ...

Old Server Dependancy
Had W2K server running E2K before adding a new W2K3 server running E2K3 to the site. Migrated all mailboxes and Public Folders to E2K3 server. Recovered from some database corruption prior to removing E2K server. Have followed directions on removing the E2K server, but have not completely removed from site as there appear to be some dependancies still present when said server is shut down. Remote administration of Exchange features in AD cannot always be completed (adding an alias to a user for instance) or editing existing addresses (RPC server not available messages). Also appears ...

WHY EXCHANGE???
Hi I have a client that thinks he wants to move away from exchange - he has mentioned a few other products but I can't seem to find feature comparisons or any other kind of info to help me make the case to stay with exchange - anyone have any info or links I might look at? thanks You may want to check the main Exchange site www.microsoft.com/exchange. Specifically, there is a section in Product Information for Competitive Comparisons: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/compare/default.mspx Hope this helps! -- Eric Tam, MCSE, MCSA Microsoft Exchange Support Please do...

Export Tables to SQL Server
I have a database already in Access 2003, and want to export the structure (just the tables, not the data) into SQL Server Express 2005 (there are no stored queries, macros, etc... to worry about). What's the easiest way to do this? I've tried using the Upsizing Wizard, but it doesn't seem to want to talk to SQL Server Express. Thanks Phil. you shoudl get a copy of SLQ Server Developers Edition and learn how to use DTS or if you go file, new, project (existing data) you should be able to import SOME tables into SQL Server just using MS Access "Phil" <N/...

CDialog::DoModal question and Graphics Server
I have a dialog contains some button and a graph create using Graphics Server APIs. The event handler that brings up this dialog is as follows: void CAptcView::OnReportsGraphs() { // toolbar status message m_pApp->m_szStatusMsg = "View Graphs"; InvalidateRect (rStatusMsg); // display the plots dialog box m_dlgPlots = new CPlots(this); m_dlgPlots->rClient = rDesktop; // to center the dialog m_pApp->SetCaptionColor (0, 4); m_dlgPlots->DoModal(); m_pApp->SetCaptionColor (1, 4); delete m_dlgPlots; m_pApp->m_szStatusMsg = ""; InvalidateRect (r...

Do I need to specify WINS IP on the server?
Hi all, For the best practice, do I need to specify WINS IP on the TCP/IP on the exchange 2003 SP2 servers? (win2K & win2003 envir.) Thanks in advance. In news:614C4C0C-C93F-4207-8825-9EA1AD366C6C@microsoft.com, Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi all, > > For the best practice, do I need to specify WINS IP on the TCP/IP on > the exchange 2003 SP2 servers? (win2K & win2003 envir.) > > Thanks in advance. I would (presuming you actually have a WINS server on your network). Do this for all servers & clients. Thanks for your help. ...