Deleting unicode fixup table - Uh oh...

One of our clients has an Exchange 2003 Std SP1 installation that just
bumped up against the 16Gb limit.  We had them do some house cleaning
and did the 17Gb hack to get them temporary extra space which got the
system back on an even keel but when we tried to do the offline defrag
to compress their database the result showed us it was corrupt and
failed about 10% into it.  The store mounts and runs fine and backs up
OK but we are unable to defrag and now we have concerns that bad things
are on the horizon.
I know everybody says the best thing to do is a restore from b/u if at
all possible and we have several good B/U Exec 10 backups dating back
months.  The problem is that we have no idea how long this corruption
has been in place so we don't know when to do the restore from.
Because of this we don't believe doing a restore is a viable option.
They are still running on the corrupt store but we think it
appriopriate to fix this before going to SP2 (for the availability of
extra space).  We got a copy of the store and took it back to the shop
where we could play with it.  We tried more defrags with the same
result (no big surprise there...).  We then ran a eseutil /p repair to
see what happened.  The resulting message was "Deleting unicode fixup
table" and it finished succesfully.  Then we did a defrag and it
finished successfully too.  Because we were just experimenting with the
store, we have not remounted it.
When we started this process the priv1.edb file started at over 13Gb
and ended at 9.6Gb.
One last thing that makes me wonder - The repair took 46 minutes and
the defrag only took 54 minutes.  I've been told these things take
HOURS.

Question #1 - What the heck is the "unicode fixup table" and is the
priv1.edb file size reduction due to loss of data or just the defrag
compression.
Question #2 - Our client has agreed to buy a new upgraded server.
Should we try to fix the database in place or fix this by migrating
everything to the new server?
Question #3 - If the answer to #2 is migrate to the new server, how
should this be done?  Does anyone know of a proceedure I can follow
that would take this corruption problem into consideration?

Note: I read somewhere that logical database structure corruption is
not detected by backup programs.
Question #4 - Becuase I don't know when this occurred and the b/u
programs don't detect this kind of corruption, how am I supposed to do
the restore and how can I prevent this from happening again?

Anyone's insights into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

0
dcollar (1)

Recreating HR tables
I've been having some problems with HR. I've had to create some tables so the program would run. I simply copied the tables from another compagnie where is was saying I had missing tables. I'm wondering if there is a list of Tables for HR and Canadian Payroll or if it were possible to recreate these missing tables another way? I currently have this error as well: Could not find stored procedure 'Compagnie.dbo.hrCompDoesHrCompExist' ...

Inserting a formula into a Word Table
How do you insert a multiplication formula in the last cell of a Word Table so that it only multiples the two previous cells, or the is there a way to pick the cells that you want it to use for the formula? Insert a formula field and do the calculations as you would in Excel. For example: { = A1*A2 } would multiply the values in cell A1 and A2. To insert the field delimiters, { }, press Ctrl+F9. Type in the code. Use F9 to update the result. To show/hide field codes in the selection, use Shift+F9. To show/hide field codes in the whole document, use Alt+F9. Note that table calcul...

Cannot delete defalut Chartin excel 2003
Hi to All, I can't delete a default chart that was saved, as this influence on all my charts type. I do not get any error message when i try to delete the chart that was defined as default. Please advise what can be done. Thanks, Meir Hi, 1. Set a new default chart - with a chart selected choose Chart, Chart Type, find and select a chart type you want to use as the default and click Set as default chart. 2. Excel always has a default chart, if you delete the Default chart it will reset to the Excel standard default. That is, there is always a default chart. -- Cheers, Shane...

I have Microsoft 2007
I have installed Microsoft Office 2007. Can I now delete Microsoft Office 2003? On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:30:01 -0800, Jers <Jers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: There is no particular reason to get rid of 2003, but if you insist it is better to first uninstall 2003 (not delete, but use Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs) and then install 2007. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I have installed Microsoft Office 2007. Can I now delete Microsoft Office >2003? of course you fail to mention the exact versions of office, so who knows whether you are still usin...

deleting labels in Word
I have an old list of address labels, so I have deleted some of them. However, when I do this, it leaves a blank label rather than moving all the other labels up to fill in the blanks. I don't want to have to move each label individually to fill in the holes, but I don't want to waste labels either. Is there some easy solution to this problem? Thanks! "Easy"? No. However, if you keep your info in a format that you merge into the label template, you'll find that task much easier. http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels_into_mail_merge.htm -- JoAnn Paule...

Pivot Tables and Trend Data
I have a data table that lists products down Column A. Columns B through P have characteristics of each of those products. Beginning in Column Q are monthly numbers. That is, Column Q has month 1 numbers, Column R has month 2 numbers, etc. I am trying to set up pivot tables that will show me averages of the monthly numbers depending on which characteristics I choose. For example, I want to compare the trend in sales for all products that are white versus all products that are black. How do I set up the pivot table to show trends? Obviously, I need to name a data field and a column field...

Display data in the form using the tables
Is it possible to Display data in the form using the tables as the back-end database.if so ,please provide me any examples.... thanks in advance. On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:42:01 -0700, Chiki <Chiki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to Display data in the form using the tables as the back-end >database.if so ,please provide me any examples.... > >thanks in advance. What do you mean by "using the tables as the back-end database"? Data is always stored in tables. These can be local tables, or can be linked in a backend (which might be a...

Pivot Table Wizard "Layout" button disabled (greyed out)
I am trying to use the Pivot Table wizard in Excel 2007 (using "alt-d, p" to launch it), however in step 3 of 3, the Layout button is ALWAYS disabled (greyed out) regardless of how I set the preceding options. Any suggestions on how to enable this? Click Finish and and an Excel 2007 layout window will appear. Also reupload my response to your last post for automation options. Hi, Bad news! - this feature is disabled for regular pivot tables in 2007. If you are creating pivot tables from certain kinds of external data sets you will have the ability to use Layout, but not with r...

collecting data using email in a Access table
I am collecting a group's information(name, phone number and three paragraphs describing their hobby). I want to send an email to all the group recipients which allows them to enter the information(name, phone number and three paragraphs describing their hobby) and update it in a Access table stored on my machine. One way I can do this if all recipients have Outlook 2007 is using the email create facility of Access 2007 which is described at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=618891E8-7145-44C8-9E40-82218B1E8DF7&displaylang=en This creates a ...

Table ordered by
Hello! I have to check if table in default view is ordered by some column. In table properties window is property order by. i can get table,bet i can't find property or method to get order by value. Here is code how i get to table: For Each tabula As dao.TableDef In ACS.TableDefs If tabula.Name.Trim.ToUpper = sName.Trim.ToUpper Then ' ?? End If Next I hope you will help soon! Dexter The following function will return the OrderBy property of the table whose name is passed into it as its argument: Public Function TableOrder(strTabl...

delete cells with "x" in them
I want to delete all cells in a range that have "x" in them. I have used the following code: For Each Cell In Sheets("CDPTS").Range("B1:B363") If Cell.Value = "x" Then Cell.Delete Shift:=xlUp End If Next Cell However, this doesn't delete them all? I repeated the code several times and it finally does get them all. Is there a more reliable code to do my job? SDC scrabtree, The reason it's not working every time is that If cell B1 contains an x, cell B2 contains an x and B3 contains "qwerty&...

hide pivot table
All I want to show is the graph from the pivot table- I do not want the show the filtered data. Then I have to ask, why bother with a pivot table if you aren't going to let the users pivot the data, why not just build a graph? HTH Bob "forest" <forest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BACBDEF6-4A85-4C0D-8846-F0EE35169078@microsoft.com... > All I want to show is the graph from the pivot table- I do not want the > show > the filtered data. Select the sheet with the PivotTable. Format - Sheet - hide. Also, from the PivotT...

Scroll Bars
Hi Ive added a scroll bar to my worksheet from the forms tools. I want to have a table which is a fixed size and the scroll bar can b used to move to columns across to view all data. i.e. user views a fixed table of 5 columns but data is made up of 1 columns. The scroll bar will move the data. I also want the same use for a chart. Please Help....! ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Stephen Bullen has a sample chart with scrolling on his web site. Under &#...

Limit use of temporary tables & report wide strings
One of my biggest frustrations with Great Plains is the difficulty I've frequently experienced when modifying and writing customized reports which will best fit my company's needs. There are many many reports which are generated using temporary tables which means a report utilizing temporary tables cannot be duplicated and then modified from there. Yes they can be modified - but that means one can only have two versions of these - the original and the modified and must use security to switch back and forth. I find this particularly prevalent in General Ledger and Payroll. M...

Removing Retail Realm Tables and Triggers etc from RMS dbs
Is there any clean way to remove RR's tables & flotsam from a RMS DBS w/o having to go to RR and get a script from them? Thanks You can certainly use a tool like Microsoft SQL Management Studio to visually see what tables, triggers and functions are available in a database. This will allow you to see what is there. But make sure you do a backup before you start removing anything. And if you are not sure about a table or other database item, don't remove it! If you would like a hand in sorting this out, we'd be happy to help, just give a call to our Tech S...

refreshdisplay hook not activated by deleting entry???
I have a custom add-in that is triggered by the refreshdisplay hook. The add-in applies a discount to an accessory if there is also a phone on the transaction entry screen. This add-in works great as items are added to the screen, however it is not triggered when an item is deleted off the screen. The problem this causes is that someone can place a phone on the transaction, then add an accessory and since the phone is there, the accessory is discounted, then they can delete the phone off the transaction, and the accessory stays at its discounted price. is there a better way to trigg...

comparing tables/vectors
Hi there :-) I have two columns with numeric data [but the kind of data shouldn't matter, I suppose]. They're of _different_ lenght, but there are empty cells below both of them. I want to compare the columns and get the _number_ [amount] of mutual elements as a result. Ie.: if A={2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 23, 25, 46}, and B={1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 46} than Result=4 If I defined the columns to have the same lenght [including some of the empty cells below] would the empty cells be counted as well? I wouldn't like that :-) Thanks in advance, regards. -- Uka P. Assuming ...

Recovering deleted address book?
I have re installed Outlook 2000 and lost all my contacts (e mail address and fax nos). I now want to use OE6 as OL2000 opens then instantly quits. In any case I need to recover my old address book if possible? -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- See if the information in this MSKB article applies in your situation: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];255503 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent t...

emails going to the deleted folder
I have a strange issue. Several users, me included, are have an issue of certain company emails going directly to deleted folder. No rules have been set. Same users going to the deleted folder. Spam software has been set to allow all of our organizations email through. Any Help appreciated. My systems include......... Windows 2003 domain Exchange 2000 Outlook 2000/2003 Groupshield 6 clients - Win2Kpro/XPpro GFI MailEssentials 11 If its on the WinXP PC, please shutdown spk2. at 'RUN' type 'services.msc' and disable windows firewall, security center. the email will be O...

Disable Delete button on Note using Field Level Security
We have a request by the user to disable the DELETE button or put some form of security to the DELETE button on any of the NOTE form. I would like to use Field Level Security to disable/password before the DELETE button. I faced 2 problems: (a) At Resource Explorer, there are 5 note window. Anyone knows why there are 5 and which is for which? I manage to try and error, and found FORM_NOTE_1 is for the Note for Vendor Note (b) I, then, created a new Field Security ID and selected DELETE button from FORM_NOTE_1, select Password Before. But, when click on DELETE button on NOTE, th...

more pivot tables. HELP!
here's my dilemma: i have a list of standings for a school wrestling team. the data looks like this... bob here 19-Sep win bob there 20-Sep lose larry here 19-Sep win larry there 20-Sep win joe here 19-Sep win joe there 20-Sep lose .... and i have a "current standings" pivot table on another sheet showing who won on what date or against who. now say i add... bob here 21-Sep lose larry here 21-Sep lose joe here 21-Sep win .... immedeatly after in the next 3 rows. is there a way to have the pivot table automatically a...

Deleted Email #2
How can I stop Outlook sending replies to email that is in the deleted folder when I finally empty the folder. Thanks in advance for your help! Chris CMarshall <cam@nuvidia.com> wrote: > How can I stop Outlook sending replies to email that is > in the deleted folder when I finally empty the folder. Outlook doesn't send automatic replies, unless you've created a rule to do so. It especially doesn't do things automatically with itmes in the Dleted Items folder. Please describe your symptoms in greater detail. Include your Outlook version. -- Brian Tillman ...

Grouping Pivot Table Data
Help! I am wanting to group pivot table data (Excel 2000). Easy, I know...if I want to group the data manually (highlight area and click grouping...group). However, my data contains %ge data. The data is to be updated regularly as I get more and more information. I do not want to have to re-draw the table each time. I would like to setup some manual groups based on percentage ranges: >= 0% <50% >=50% <60% >=60% <70% etc. Since I do not have these exact percentages in my data, it could be that I am reporting my information incorrectly. Is there a way to manually...

Delete every word with all or partial underline
I can't figure out the format for a sub to delete every word that has some underlining in it. I can't figure it out because I need to find each underline and then delete the whole word containing it. Here's my lame code so far I pieced together reading the forum: Sub DeleteUnderline() ' ' DeleteUnderline Macro ' Dim oRng As Word.Range Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range With oRng.Find .ClearFormatting .Replacement.ClearFormatting .Text = "" .Font.Underline = wdUnderlineSingle .Replacement.Text = ""...

Accelerator that can't be deleted
I think my computer is possessed. My app (in VS2008 using the MFC Enhancement Pack) defined an accelerator for the '-' key which posted the message ID_VIEW_ZOOMOUT (which is defined as 33455). I wanted to remove this accelerator. So I deleted the following line in the "IDR_MAINFRAME ACCELERATORS" section of my rc file: "-", ID_VIEW_ZOOMOUT, ASCII, NOINVERT Easy enough, but pressing '-' still calls my OnZoomOut function! Hum, so I search my code for all occurrences of ID_VIEW_ZOOMOUT to make sure I'm not posting it elsewhere. I'm no...